Author Topic: Pokemon Sword and Shield  (Read 35941 times)

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 01:38:06 PM »
BIG
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:50:37 PM by Suwako Moriya »
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 02:48:55 PM »
I legit almost did a spit take when I saw that. That's a crazy stupid idea, I love it so much. :D

Also it looks like maybe we're doing overworld encounters after all?! I hope so.

The new legendaries are very bad, I hate them. But I love Wooloo in both name and design so we'll call it a net positive.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2019, 06:26:14 PM »
Overworld is pretty and the openness of it(as well as the camera usage) are super appealing to me.

The legendaries look like they're just normal Pokemon who found fancy equipment, but I'm onboard with Zashien for sure.

Corviknight and Drednaw are also pretty good.

Dynamax battles and the associated raids seem interesting and I look forward to seeing more about them. 

Still not QUITE enough for a guaranteed sell, but they're doing a good job so far of convincing me, haha.  Let's see what else they can bring to the table before November.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2019, 07:41:34 PM »
Anyone else remember that one episode from OG Pokemon with the gigantic Gengar, Alakazam, and Jigglypuff? That episode gave me nightmares as a kid, but anyway that's what I was reminded of. (And island of the giant pokemon too, though less so, that was a fun episode, it came right after the St. Anne episodes)

Legendaries look ok, I'll probably end up feeling the same way about them as I do about the (non-therian forms of the) weather djinn trio from black/white. They kinda look like palette swapped Pyroars, whose design I didn't really care for either.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Giratina93

• The Great Titan of a Lost Realm
  • Behold, the Dark Lord of Distortion sees all
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2019, 11:53:06 PM »
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... During today's E3/Treehouse, Masuda stated that due to time issues and balancing, only mons within the Galar region can be transferred into the games from Pokemon Home. Any mons simply won't exist data-wise in the game, and this will continue for future game releases. So if you all have a favorite you want to use, you have to go get the game that mon is in locally.
Why... why must weak humans destroy their world? Why can they not preserve that which they see so dear to them? Why must all life perish before immortality?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 01:09:41 AM »
Wait, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying Sword and Shield are a total hard reset and nothing can be transferred into them, or that Pokemon Home can't be used to do that? Is there another method that does work?

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 07:19:17 AM »
Wait, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying Sword and Shield are a total hard reset and nothing can be transferred into them, or that Pokemon Home can't be used to do that? Is there another method that does work?

Let's say you have 2 Pokemon from your old games (for example, you got an Espurr and a Shinx in Home, which is the Bank equivalent for Switch) that you want to transfer to Sword/Shield.

Because Espurr is in the Galar Dex, it has data in the game, meaning you can transfer the one you have from Sun/Moon to Sword/Shield without issue.

But now you wanna transfer Shinx over to Sword/Shield. However it isn't in the Galar Dex. This means it's not programmed in and thus you can't transfer it to Sword/Shield at all because it doesn't exist in the game's data.

That's what the issue is and everyone is pretty pissed off about it right now.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
That's annoying and bad but isn't ultimately a deal breaker I don't think. That seems like something that can be fixed later, either through a patch or, worst case scenario, a sequel game. Definitely not great, seems sloppy, but I was worried you were saying all transfs were cut off period and I guess I'm glad that's not the case.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 04:14:48 PM »
While I don't use transfers myself, I'm heavily considering holding off on buying one of them/asking for one now until if/when they fix this, as a statement for those who do.

People have been keeping their beloved Pokemon from as far back as gen 3 and suddenly now they're being told some/all of their faves won't be able to make the jump?  Yeah no that's pretty bad and they don't deserve money for that.  Spitting on longtime fans is a pretty low move and not one I can support even if it doesn't affect me directly.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 05:08:13 PM »
That's annoying and bad but isn't ultimately a deal breaker I don't think. That seems like something that can be fixed later, either through a patch or, worst case scenario, a sequel game. Definitely not great, seems sloppy, but I was worried you were saying all transfs were cut off period and I guess I'm glad that's not the case.
It's not going to be fixed later with a patch or anything, they're making this a new policy; they're not going to make games with every single Pokemon in it in the future because of time and balance issues that they never elaborate on and could probably be fixed with a delay or balance patching instead of just not programming a certain Pokemon outright. A Sword/Shield sequel isn't going to fix this either because it'll be following the new policy of only programming up to probably 450 Pokemon that fit the region aesthetic out of the current 800.

Another issue arises with the fact that once you transfer your mons up to Home, you can't transfer them back. So that Shinx in the example I mentioned before that can't go to Sword/Shield is gonna be stuck in Home for who knows how long until a game it is programmed in comes out for it to transfer to. All while you maintain the fee to keep it there.

For a series that focuses on catching them all and worked hard on features like Bank to allow you to transfer old mons up, this abrupt decision goes against the very fundamentals of the series itself.
This is different from the jump between gen 2 and 3; they had technical limitations at the time that didn't allow them to transfer data between each other, and that was eventually fixed for Bank and VC compatibility. Gen 3 also had all the mons in the data, some just weren't encounterable in the wild and needed to be caught and traded/transferred from another game that had them.
This is different from Sun/Moon having a specialized National Dex for Alola, because even though certain Pokemon aren't in the wild and have no dex entry ingame you could still transfer them over and use them because they had their battle data in it.
This is different from Let's Go, which is a Yellow remake (and has been called a side game in the beginning before changing to being called a mainline game.)

This is about a game not having a certain Pokemon existing in it at all because it was never bothered to be programmed in. *end rant*

It might not matter to some people who don't have or never transfer mons, but it matters to people like me who do that have played for a long time and like to take their ribbon mons/shinies/childhood mons with them to new gens. It's a slap in the face tbh  :(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:39:24 PM by Fulisha of Light »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 07:11:28 PM »
It's literally impossible to have a complete collection then, right? That's so heinous that I can't imagine it doesn't get fixed somehow. Cynically this could be a ploy to release a "complete" version later with everything included so everyone can be charged a second time, and generously it's a wildly optimistic decision by Nintendo. I can't really envision things working like this, some kind of fix seems inevitable one way or another.

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 08:48:38 PM »
It's literally impossible to have a complete collection then, right? That's so heinous that I can't imagine it doesn't get fixed somehow. Cynically this could be a ploy to release a "complete" version later with everything included so everyone can be charged a second time, and generously it's a wildly optimistic decision by Nintendo. I can't really envision things working like this, some kind of fix seems inevitable one way or another.
We can only hope there's enough of a backlash to make them reconsider. There's outrage on 4chan, Reddit, 2ch, Twitter, Youtube, etc.

But since we have someone like Masuda calling the shots: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/pokemon-sword-and-shield-interview

I just don't understand why this man is never questioned/challenged on his bullshit and mindset.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2019, 03:31:17 AM »
I don't get why the DS games were able to accomodate all pokemon but the switch games can't. At first I thought this was going to be like Alola where the pokebank wasn't available immediately, but I guess not. I'm not sure I hate the change so much that I would cancel my preorder though.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2019, 08:58:31 PM »
There's been a new trailer for a new game, Pokemon Masters? I love the idea for the game, it's going to be so great to be able to interact with old characters again. There was a short clip of Brock near the end in his classic Gen 1 pose, shirtless and all. That is magical. Fan service, love it.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Fulisha of Light

• Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2019, 05:46:05 AM »
If you haven't heard the news, Masuda has acknowledged the backlash via a statement; rather than do anything about it he's doubling down on his decision:
Thank you to all of our fans for caring so deeply about Pok?mon. Recently, I shared the news that some Pok?mon cannot be transferred to Pok?mon Sword and Pok?mon Shield. I've read all your comments and appreciate your love and passion for Pok?mon.
Just like all of you, we are passionate about Pok?mon and each and every one of them is very important to us. After so many years of developing the Pok?mon video games, this was a very difficult decision for me. I'd like to make one thing clear: even if a specific Pok?mon is not available in Pok?mon Sword and Pok?mon Shield, that does not mean it will not appear in future games.
The world of Pok?mon continues to evolve. The Galar region offers new Pok?mon to encounter, Trainers to battle, and adventures to embark on. We are pouring our hearts into these games, and we hope you will look forward to joining us on this new journey.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2019, 02:06:42 AM »
So who else has been playing this? I managed to mostly avoid spoilers and I've been loving the new designs from what I've seen so far
Spoiler:
except the Scorbunny line which is really challenging to look at
. I've got my team of five Wooloos and their sheep dog gorilla and I'm not super far in, I haven't even gotten to the first gym yet, but I like what I've seen so far. I like that the overworld encounters from Let's Go are back with some twists, I don't like that the Let's Go ability to access your entire box from almost anywhere is back, but it's easy enough to just not use, and it makes checking my collection on the fly easier which is fine.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 02:10:06 AM »
Anyone doing raids?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2019, 01:23:16 PM »
I've done quite a few IRL but the only reason they worked out is because I got carried. I've been moving through the game very slowly so all I have to contribute right now is level 35 Wooloos...

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2019, 09:36:15 PM »
I've done quite a few IRL but the only reason they worked out is because I got carried. I've been moving through the game very slowly so all I have to contribute right now is level 35 Wooloos...

My code is SW-5338-7555-3111. Feel free to join any of my raids. Getting people is so hard.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff