Author Topic: [VLP]Koishi Komeiji, directed by: Japanese Tim Burton - Let's Play 3rd Eye  (Read 13691 times)

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
Hello fellow Maidens! Several months ago on our forum, there was a news thread made about several upcoming Touhou console releases as well as PC projects meant to be localized. One title featured had long come out and it was...

3rd Eye

This couldn't be a more different game than those I've made threads for in the past. 3rd Eye was developed by the Shiruudon, Ridil and Sunflower Game circles and published (on Steam) by Sony Music Entertainment and Unties. The genre of it is adventure, though not mouse-controlled. It works with a keyboard or controller. The experience is sprinkled with a few very light puzzles and elements of (psychological) horror. A comparison I've heard of to a similar game was "Fran Bow". The big selling point of 3rd Eye was that sprites and artwork were mostly done by kotoinari. You could call them the Japanese Tim Burton, I don't know if that description is too widespread though. Anyway, we'll soon learn what else 3rd Eye has to offer, apart from intentionally quirky and creepy graphics.

As always, a few things to know about the Let's Play itself:

- Commentary is in post. On top of that, I also don't use a facecam, which may seem untypical for this kind of game. I've played through it before and I think it makes little sense to have one.
- There are multiple endings to 3rd Eye. Apart from the one we're getting in the playthrough, I'll cover the other ones I know of in a bonus episode at the end.
- This is a very story- and narrative-driven game. It's also something I think leaves the strongest impression on you if you play it for yourselves. I definitely feel it's necessary to recommend the following: If you're intrigued at any point of the Let's Play to get 3rd Eye yourself, go for it before you've watched the whole series. Updates will come around only slowly (about bi-weekly I'm estimating), partially because of this, partially because it takes long for me to make the episodes  :D.

Episode list:

Part 01 - Our Hat is Our Friend
Part 02 - Feeling What They Feel
Part 03 - Masters of Craftsmanship
Part 04 - She's Done it Before
Part 05 - Mulberry and Lotus
Part 06 - Death, in Other Words: Nothingness
Part 07 - We Can Meet Again, Right?
Part 08 - Things Have Changed
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:32:55 PM by Gesh86 »

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
Re: [VLP]Koishi Komeiji, directed by: Japanese Tim Burton - Let's Play 3rd Eye
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »
Part 02 - Feeling What They Feel

Episode 2 is finished and ready for your viewing! We wrap up what is considered the game's first chapter. How many are there in total? I don't want to tell you at this point  :X. Have patience, please.

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »
Part 03 - Masters of Craftsmanship

Are we actually going to execute Cirno, or...?
This can be considered our holiday episode. How appropriate that the game's second chapter fits our current season. I may have missed Halloween to start the Let's Play, but this came around just in time!
Also, because of Christmas obligations, I'll take a week off until I start making Episode 4. So in advance, happy holidays and have a happy new year, everyone!

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
Part 04 - She's Done it Before

Is it truly possible to turn Cirno from a Snow Child into a Snow Man?
Happy New Year MotK! We conclude the winter chapter today. Sorry for the subpar framerate at some points. This environment is actually notorious for putting a huge strain on PCs. It's probably the snowfall effect.

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
Part 05 - Mulberry and Lotus

When we last left off, we became a
Spoiler:
fugitive and kinslayer.
You'd think that would put a lot of urgency on us, but I think this turned out to be a somewhat relaxing episode. Apart from a few old and new faces, it does establish two pretty important characters that play a key role in our current chapter. Let's hope those new friends share a better fate than a certain someone...

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
Part 06 - Death, in Other Words: Nothingness

Those trees are bones. Rich on calcium!

So the previous episode had relatively low tension. Be prepared for the exact opposite! Some of the narrative themes that come up in this chapter are pretty uncomfortable, tougher than anything we've seen so far. Still, I think you can handle it. I did present this title as a horror game so far, so I don't think any of you will be unexpectedly overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:59:27 PM by Gesh86 »

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 07:15:29 PM »
Part 07 - We Can Meet Again, Right?

Koishi's quest continues and as you can tell from this preview, there will be a change of location at some point during the video. You've got to ask whether staying trapped in the Bamboo Forest would have been the better alternative to whatever this is...

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 03:32:40 PM »
Part 08 - Things Have Changed

Once again, Koishi has to outgrow her former weaknesses. It's all to help a trapped and pitiful crow-human-chimera. Several dwellers of the mansion are working against her in this mission. Can she do it despite this opposition?