Author Topic: Magia Record: Now available in anime flavor!  (Read 88002 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Magia Record: Now available in anime flavor!
« on: June 24, 2019, 11:35:13 PM »
The Puella Magi Madoka Magica mobile game is finally coming out in North America in a few days. Is anyone going to play it? Has anyone played it yet on JP? I preregistered for it and I'm definitely going to give it a try, although I don't know how it plays or really if people like it. I guess the fact that it's still going in Japan is a good sign and I hear the story is good, so hopefully it's a high-quality game.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:46:44 PM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Re: Magia Record: Rebellion sequel never, so this is canon now...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 12:43:02 AM »
The Puella Magi Madoka Magica mobile game is finally coming out in North America in a few days. Is anyone going to play it? Has anyone played it yet on JP? I preregistered for it and I'm definitely going to give it a try, although I don't know how it plays or really if people like it. I guess the fact that it's still going in Japan is a good sign and I hear the story is good, so hopefully it's a high-quality game.
I've been thinking of preregistering myself since I love Madoka Magica a lot, but I'm kinda on/off about it wondering if I'll have the time to play since I've never played these types of mobile games before and having enough space on my phone.  :ohdear:

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 12:47:18 AM »
I'm probably not since Ive had trouble staying with mobage recently and them taking however many years to bring over the game feels kinda ??? but I look forward to seeing what they come up with storywise all the same.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 12:52:21 AM »
We know there's an anime adaptation on the way, so you'll be able to get the story without playing the game.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 02:17:01 AM »
I completely forgot about this.  Thanks for the heads-up!  I do hope those who do play end up getting a fun experience though.  Maybe if it sounds promising I'll poke in or something, I dunno.  Suppose we'll see~
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 08:42:04 AM »
Huh. Well I still haven't taken the time to watch that sequel movie. If I'm going to try this out or see more spoilers of the movie around I might have to go watch it before this gets released. Based on the bits I've read about it, I'm not too excited about seeing it to be honest... which is why I've been putting it off all this time.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 12:55:27 PM »
The sequel movie is one of my favorite movies, you should totally see it. It's a very worthy successor to the anime.

It's a polarizing movie and a lot of people hate it so I can't guarantee you'll like it, but I don't think it's going to waste your time. And for what it's worth a lot of publications that gave it negative reviews redacted them and gave it much much higher scores after a second viewing, so it's one of those things.

Edit: Oh hey the game is out! I thought it was due Friday. Guess I'll try to take a look on my lunch break.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:15:26 PM by commandercool »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 12:15:20 AM »
Alright, I beat the tutorial and played a little past that. This game is basically Fate Grand Order with some quirks. It's played on a 3x3 grid on each side, and it has the same "select three out of five actions on your turn" gameplay as FGO, but the actions are slightly different, including an AOE action that targets certain spaces on the opposing side. You can change targets for each action unlike in FGO, and there's a support action mechanic that grants a lot of flexibility in doing different kinds of combo chains.

The gameplay in this sort of game is hard to evaluate for me until the game gets challenging, which never happens early on, but I like FGO's gameplay just fine so I assume I'll like this too. There are a few quirks I'm slightly concerned about (it's not clear to me how team construction works or how common characters compare to rare ones stats wise, but it might always be possible and correct to cram all of your rarest units and equipment on one team?).

The real star here is obviously the aesthetics though, and they are great. The music in particular is predictably excellent. I don't recall if all of the music is taken from existing media or if much/any of it is new, but it's still great. The character designs are cute, the animations are good, no real complaints there.

There's a guaranteed 4* character at the end of the tutorial (I think 4* is the highest rarity you can pull a unit at but they can be upgraded to 5* later or something?) and I pulled Madoka, which I'm very happy with. I was considering rerolling for Madoka or Kyoko, so glad I didn't have to bother with that.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 08:10:14 AM »
If anyone's trying (like I did) to figure out how to redeem your moeblob Homura, she's in the Shop tab, all the way at the far right of the categories. why is she buried like this

(Also, I don't know what's going on, but I can't ship you a friend request via your ID or name.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:18:13 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
Ah yeah I had been having trouble finding her, and I've had several people ask me about it. I checked in the shop and still missed her.

I can't get friend requests to work either, and nobody I know IRL can. There must be some kind of issue, or else we're all doing something wrong.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 04:31:49 PM »
Friend requests seem to be working now finally.

Is the first free ten-pull supposed to have a guaranteed 4*? I got one and thought I heard it did, but the roommate started playing and didn't get one from his. Maybe I just got lucky.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »
Definitely not guaranteed. You're guaranteed a Servant Puella, but which one you get is entirely up to chance.

Also finally figured out how the hell some people have level 20-30 characters this early. Also I decided to go whole hog and make Iroha a 2*, damn the fact that her stats go back to level 1.

EDIT: Oh, that's an early mat hell. what are these drop rates
At least the game has an option to search available quests for mats, so you're not wandering around all the quests to figure out where the Rooftop Witch is.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:35:35 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 11:28:30 PM »
It's not clear to me how much content there is in the game right now, but I feel like it's really been keeping me busy. I've been spending a lot of time in the special training quests gathering materials so I can ascend Madoka at some point, but the individual character stories are all real neat. I haven't even started chapter three or looked into the parallel story yet.

Edit: My game was auto-battling aaaaall day at work, chewing through heaps of stamina potions, to get Madoka's ascension materials all ready to go. I was set to turn her into a five star aaaaand... that'll be one million Kyubey Coins! Shit.  :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:29:21 AM by commandercool »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 11:25:52 AM »
Welcome to CC hell. Much like QP hell, you're never leaving as long as you keep getting more and more Puella.

(Also, feel free to dump Zantetsu from your friends list; thanks to not bothering to get my ID saved somewhere before my phone died ignobly, I'm either going to quit or just going to restart the whole thing once I get the new phone sorted out, because it was already way too late to get any of the release celebration stuff. RIP all that progress (and 4 bucks for the gem pass), but it was basically only a week.)

Move eternally forward,

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
A GBF crewmember donated me his extremely blessed account after he realized he didn't like the game, so come follow hskSneNA if ye would like~

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 08:37:29 PM »
Hot dog, time to start saving now for Sayaka so you can collect the whole set.  :D

Nagisa doesn't count who even likes Nagisa.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 04:44:39 AM »
Hot dog, time to start saving now for Sayaka so you can collect the whole set.  :D

Nagisa doesn't count who even likes Nagisa.

Don't threaten me like this, when I was playing JP Sayaka spooked me when I was rolling for... I dunno, I think it was the first april fool's event.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 04:46:03 AM »
I decided to grind out one last pull on the Kyoko banner before it ends and I pulled her! Madoka and Kyoko are my two favorites so I'm pretty happy I pulled both of them. It's a tiny bit of a bummer that I got her at the very very end of her special training quest, but oh well.  :D

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 09:05:21 AM »
So Day 1 of my new account, and the grind is SO MUCH EASIER now that people actually have reasonably leveled supports. Not gonna lie, I'm taking advantage of my past self on occasion, but I've already gotten Iroha back to 2*, and I'm making decent headway on getting those Enhancement gems. Haven't gotten Mirrors back up yet, though, so that's something I've gotta grind out soon.

(god all those lost Memoria are really starting to hurt)

The new event is actually really good for Rank grinding, since it doesn't use AP - depending on how lucky you are with Fate Weaves, you could potentially get enough Pencils to basically make your AP work twice as hard. Not looking forward to the Challenge Quests, though, since those start at level 50.

(I named the new account same as the old account, so if you're feeling silly, you can do that search.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:08:22 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
Is there a place where I can find the best farming locations for materials? The material search feature is handy, but it doesn't tell me anything about stamina per drop. Is it safe to assume that the hardest challenge quest that has the enemies that can drop that material on every floor is ideal?

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »
Is there a place where I can find the best farming locations for materials? The material search feature is handy, but it doesn't tell me anything about stamina per drop. Is it safe to assume that the hardest challenge quest that has the enemies that can drop that material on every floor is ideal?

Thankfully the magia wiki has been kept update for 2 years. Just click on the item you want for the optimal farming location.
https://magireco.fandom.com/wiki/Drop_List

Anyways, Feel free to get carried by me
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:26:40 PM by PX »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 01:02:42 AM »
Oooh, it's using outdated names. That explains why I haven't been able to find any information about anything, I'm searching the NA material names. Very handy, thanks.

Got all my Padlock Chains, now I need Warhorns. Apparently they drop from an Another Story episode, time to start that!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »
One hour in:God this is boring.
The next day:GOD I CAN'T STOP PLAYING EXCEPT FOR THE AP-MANDATED FORCED BREAKS

also I thought I missed the window for the free Moemura until after nearly hitting rank 15 and realizing "wait the shop KEEPS SCROLLING FURTHER?", gee things sure are easier now <_<
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 04:46:56 AM »
I don't know that I've ever played a mobile game that isn't super boring at the beginning.

Magia Record has three major things going for it. The aesthetics, the low-key satisfaction that comes from farming in a game with auto battles, and the stories. Like, in the current event I was annoyed by how intrusive the story was in the first few chapters and just wanted to farm the dang event uninterrupted, but by the end I was invested and really wanted to see what was going to happen next.

The thing I haven't experienced from it yet is gameplay that's super compelling in and of itself. It took forever to get to the point that any of the content was challenging, and while a few of the event challenge battles got close I still found the first nine to be kinda easy and the last one to be way too hard to the point where I don't feel like I even have a chance. But hopefully once I get my auxiliary (read: non-Madoka) characters a little more developed I'll be able to handle it and then it might be fun, we'll see.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »
I'm a little annoyed at the fact that I'm currently at the point in Mirrors where nearly every possible opponent the game throws at me is either at least 10k above my power level, or is rocking two or three max level, max rarity characters.

At least the literal metric ton of pencils is giving me a feedback loop so I can easily get a ton of levels.

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »
I've been ignoring most of my characters in order to aggressively power level Madoka and she's pretty much finished except for getting her last magia level unlocked. It requires disgusting numbers of bond points, I don't know how many because I don't think it's listed in-game anywhere, and I swear it the bar fills slower the closer it gets to the end. I knocked a big chunk out of it Friday but it seems like it's been frozen at 80% ever since.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 06:08:33 PM »
I'm a little annoyed at the fact that I'm currently at the point in Mirrors where nearly every possible opponent the game throws at me is either at least 10k above my power level, or is rocking two or three max level, max rarity characters.

At least the literal metric ton of pencils is giving me a feedback loop so I can easily get a ton of levels.
Yeah I feel you, Nanaka's crazy strong Connect is the main thing that got me through to max mirror level at a good pace. I'm only rocking two characters around ~60 and little else to speak of. Pulled a Rena though so that'll give me a strong character to pump up, even if she doesn't fit the "spam Blasts" plan... accel seems great outside of mirrors so it's probably fine.

My game plan is mostly just try to get Nanaka to 4* as soon as I can, waiting for water awakening time to roll around. Kinda tempted to level Yachiyo and try to get her up to 4* (BLAAASTS) but I guess it's more of a long-term thing, and is having 3 water people bad? >____>; I saw there's apparently an element delta formation in JP that hugely boosts attack for 3 people of X element, but it could be a long time before we get it. I'm probably thinking too far ahead, I might pull more good girls before I can possibly awaken Yachiyo that far... especially when Nanaka shares her element and I'm doing her first.

Mirror duos with a lv100 madoka/homura suck a lot more than expected because of their connects, for that matter <_<

Looking forward to the double exp/increased Magic Enhancement bonus event on the 16th though, I guess I should start saving my gems for that, whoops.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2019, 02:41:41 AM »
Alright, I got Madoka fully awakened and got her Doppel. She's as finished as she's going to get unless I get a second copy. Now to move on to Kyoko!

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 04:13:16 AM »
Alright, I got Madoka fully awakened and got her Doppel. She's as finished as she's going to get unless I get a second copy. Now to move on to Kyoko!
Whilst you wait the next week for an episode dropping her awakening item to actually exist :V (Can always prepare everything else, though)

man trying to burn through 1,600 pencils during this double exp event is intense. I started casually farming some awakening items from the non-challenge pencil quests because I used up every passable support for C-4, and I can't consistently do the higher ones... <_< Tomorrow is the last full day of the event and I haven't even cut my stock in half since I level up and get a couple hundred more over again!!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 04:24:13 AM »
Oh is there still a material that's missing? I figured they were all available further along in the chapter, since I'm part way through right now. Yeah, I'll get everything else ready.

I've been having the game auto-battle C-5 pretty constantly on my desk at work and burned through my pencils surprisingly fast. I bought out almost the entire store, getting a huge stockpile of kyubey coins is nice.