Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project  (Read 466857 times)

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
  • I feed on your tears...
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 11:55:25 PM »
Btw, how do you want to go for Eiki's name? The official one is Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu, but was translated as Shikieiki Yamaxanadu previously. I used the former on the wiki, but it can also be simply Eiki Shiki (as Yamaxanadu is her title Judge of Paradise)
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Now working with Touhou-Online in French

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »
I'm just going to leave it as "Shikieiki Yamaxanadu". For consistency, and simply because I'm pretty sure you wouldn't use a comma like that for "judge". I'm only just now been informed that any titles exist in that format, so I'm not going to pretend I have any clue how they work, though..

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29:11 AM »
Alright, consistency works for me
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 12:58:23 AM »
007C9830: 「Shield Defense」
It was Shiled Defense in the subclassSpells.txt I sent you
007C95D0: 「Flashing Decapitation」 
It was Flashing Decaption
007C8ACC: 「Dance of the Cochlea」
Was Dacen of the Cochlea

So, something I still find weird, even more with all the spell effects you posted: Master Spark x2. It seems Yuuka should have a Master Spark (it has a description of it in the character's spells, plus it appears in the effects), and yet she can't use it, oversight or just last minute change? Still find it strange that they decided to remove one of her signature spell (she probably also uses it in her boss fight, but I was overleveled when I fought her, so she didn't have time to do jack)

http://pastebin.com/8riTXBR3
Updated pastebin with spell card names and some of the bestiary, I've left the japanese names, so we can do some revisions if needed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:04:58 AM by kuilfrayt »

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 03:25:12 AM »
007C9830: 「Shield Defense」
It was Shiled Defense in the subclassSpells.txt I sent you
007C95D0: 「Flashing Decapitation」 
It was Flashing Decaption
007C8ACC: 「Dance of the Cochlea」
Was Dacen of the Cochlea

So, something I still find weird, even more with all the spell effects you posted: Master Spark x2. It seems Yuuka should have a Master Spark (it has a description of it in the character's spells, plus it appears in the effects), and yet she can't use it, oversight or just last minute change? Still find it strange that they decided to remove one of her signature spell (she probably also uses it in her boss fight, but I was overleveled when I fought her, so she didn't have time to do jack)

http://pastebin.com/8riTXBR3
Updated pastebin with spell card names and some of the bestiary, I've left the japanese names, so we can do some revisions if needed.
I should be able to see if she uses it in her boss fight soon. Thanks to the wiki not mentioning the fact that I needed Minoriko to be at adequate BP as well, I've wasted a ton of time trying to clear Okuu's event towards getting Yuuka.

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 05:37:40 AM »
Re: Eiki - I'm pretty sure the previous game used 'Shikieiki Yamaxanadu' in story text whenever her full name and title came up, but in game menus and such where only a first name was used simply used 'Eiki'.

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 01:13:33 PM »
Bug list pulled from the jpwiki (I ignored all the spelling errors):

-Normal attack says that it uses "the higher of ATK and MAG", but currently it only uses ATK>
-Nitori, Eirin and Ran's "Cooldown" skill isn't working at level 1, and at level 2 it's only 2x.
-Minoriko, Kaguya's "Desire to Rest" skill isn't working.
-"SDM Residents" effect does not increase agility.
-Reimu's Spell "Fantasy Seal" accounts for enemy DEF.
-Marisa's skill "Malice Cannon (Marisa)" isn't working.
-Momiji's skill "Tengu's Watchful Eye" doesn't seem to have any effect.
-Rumia's spell "Moonlight Ray" accounts for enemy DEF.
-Komachi's spell "Scythe that Choose the Dead" has DTH effect.
-Nitori's spell "Kappa's Illusionary Waterfall"'s DEF debuff aspect isn't working.
-Wriggle's spell "Poison Touch" isn't working.
-Kaguya's spell "Dragon's Necklace" ignores enemy MND.
-Nazrin's skill "Myouren Temple Personnel" isn't working.
-Rin's spell "Vengeful Cannibal Spirit" doesn't inflict Terror, but inflicts Shock
-Satori's spell "Brain Fingerprint" isn't 100% accurate.
-Yuugi's spell "Unremovable Shackles" doens't inflict silence
-Meiling's skill "Gatekeeper that wants to rest" doesn't work.
-Eirin's spell "Hourai Elixir" is Nature-elemental, and has additional stat-based healing aside from the 50% healing
-Sanae's spell "Moses's Miracle" has the same power as Night with Bright Guest Stars?
-Sanae's skill "Divine Protection of Moriya" isn't working, while "Last Wish" has its effect isntead
-Kanako's spell "Beautiful Spring like Suiga" does not debuff MAG
-Suwako's spell "Mishaguji-sama" does not debuff DEF
-Suwako's skill "Ability to create Earth" does not work.
-Flan's spells "Forbidden Fruit" and "Laevatain" takes the "MP penalty from teammates" from Flan as well.
-Flan's skill "Vampiric Wrath" does not work.
-Yuyuko's skill "Banquet of Regret and Sympathy" does not work.
-Yukari's spell "Shikigami Yakumo Ran+" accounts for enemy DEF.
-Byakuren's spell "Skanda's Leg" confusingly meshes up PHY and WND. It's actually WND elemental.
-Byakuren's spell "Sutra Scroll - Duplicating Chant" increases ATK
-Eiki's spell "Bar of the Ten Kings" description mentions both single-target and multi-target. It's actually multi-target.
-Protector's skill "Efficient Concentration" doesn't work.
-Protector's spell "Shield Defense" doesn't lower SPD.

-The Bee Shield's "Damage +12% when HP is full" actually activates when MP is full.

-When using options -> return to title screen from within the dungeon, the "consecutive battle bonus" is not correctly initialized (inb4 major glitch abuse)
-Why is Hina an aquatic creature?
-Why is Eiki a plant?
-A certain Magatami boss on later floors isn't Inorganic like its pals
-An enemy on 16F "闇光の経霊" doesn't register in the bestiary
-Achievement 16 doesn't get unlocked
-Achievement 28 gets unlocked at 20000 skill levels instead of 10000
-Equipments which affect HP/MP regeneration has its effect calculated again when levelling up/down. (For example: If someone equips an item that increase MP regen by 1, levelling up/and down will turn the bonus into 2.) This gets reset when changing equipments, changing skill points or distributing points.
-At about level 900, experience points from level down overflows.
-Sometimes character don't recover MP correctly in the back row.
-If you defeat 密林の凶蔦眼 (no idea what monster this is) while 凶蔦眼のツタ (no idea what monster this is either) is still alive, the latter using a certain skill that affects the former will crash the game. Similar scenario happens with 16F and 17F's FOE.

I felt like this would be useful here
There's no way I could love anyone
but i wish to be loved by someone in return

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
  • Apathy is a powerful mehtivator.
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »
It is a little known fact that Eiki's hair isn't naturally green, but instead govered in algae that photosynthesize the energy necessary to cast Last Judgement. I suspect that she also has a hidden buff whenever she's on the field together with Yuuka and Okuu.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2013, 12:31:16 AM »
I thought the file I gave you had all the monster attacks, not just half of them.

Well, here they are anyways. The random 斬一閃 in the middle is same as warrior's first skill (which should be translated as "Iai Slash" to keep consistency with LoT1).

DOUBLE POST: While playing the game, I realized that part of the game script actually describes some of the game mechanics, like press M for guaranteed encounters, get under the level of boss icon to get extra stuff, FOEs and so on. I think I will work on those parts first, then work on item descriptions (haven't worked on translation for the past few days because actually playing the game and stuff)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:34:49 AM by RegalStar »

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 12:36:40 AM »
Btw Regal, do you have all the names for the items? I'm trying to update the reference sheet with everything from the jap wiki, so I want to try and keep consistent with what you translated, or make change if I have new references for them

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 12:41:11 AM »
Btw Regal, do you have all the names for the items? I'm trying to update the reference sheet with everything from the jap wiki, so I want to try and keep consistent with what you translated, or make change if I have new references for them

http://puu.sh/4fa1x.xlsx <- I haven't made any changes to it for a while, but here they are.

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 01:18:54 AM »
I thought the file I gave you had all the monster attacks, not just half of them.

Well, here they are anyways. The random 斬一閃 in the middle is same as warrior's first skill (which should be translated as "Iai Slash" to keep consistency with LoT1).

DOUBLE POST: While playing the game, I realized that part of the game script actually describes some of the game mechanics, like press M for guaranteed encounters, get under the level of boss icon to get extra stuff, FOEs and so on. I think I will work on those parts first, then work on item descriptions (haven't worked on translation for the past few days because actually playing the game and stuff)

It's possible. I might have missed some when copying them out of the spreadsheet. Thanks for those additions.

On the subject of Iai Slash, I should probably adjust the transchecker script to ignore the Japanese quotes or something and not require an exact match. I'm sure there's other duplicated attack names. One I noticed in particular was "Froggy braves the elements" versus "Kero-chan braves the wind and rain". That's definitely one I'm aiming for consistency with. That, and "kero-chan" is dumb.

I added some stuff to the "Localizations" sheet on the spreadsheet. I left "Modified translation" blank on a few because I didn't know what to put. But for everything else, I've modified the text files accordingly on my end.

I suppose now would be a good time to upload a new string dump with the translations.

http://www.mediafire.com/?webd4cur3q5j189

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 01:40:30 AM »
Here's your item file, I did a few change, but not much, since we already caught quite a few references and there is still a lot anyway to do, I'm trying to search for them and verify the english name, but some games are pretty obscure and I don't get very lucky...

http://www.mediafire.com/?8wqhf6co46oumjf

And damn can't wait to see how it's going to look in the end, I think we're making good progress
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:43:38 AM by kuilfrayt »

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 01:54:38 AM »
Here's your item file, I did a few change, but not much, since we already caught quite a few references and there is still a lot anyway to do, I'm trying to search for them and verify the english name, but some games are pretty obscure and I don't get very lucky...

http://www.mediafire.com/?8wqhf6co46oumjf

And damn can't wait to see how it's going to look in the end, I think we're making good progress

It'll get slower from now on, sadly. Game script is a huge pain in the ass for my current level of Japanese; even with a dictionary I can only read about one out of two lines on average, so I'd have to be consulting a lot for those.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 02:10:51 AM »
It'll get slower from now on, sadly. Game script is a huge pain in the ass for my current level of Japanese; even with a dictionary I can only read about one out of two lines on average, so I'd have to be consulting a lot for those.

I feel you there, I have to use a dictionnary as well, so much kanjis I can't read QQ

Also, is it me or do the developper really like Wizardry, cause there a lot of references from that game
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:12:30 AM by kuilfrayt »

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2013, 02:24:14 AM »
I should be able to see if she uses it in her boss fight soon. Thanks to the wiki not mentioning the fact that I needed Minoriko to be at adequate BP as well, I've wasted a ton of time trying to clear Okuu's event towards getting Yuuka.
She does indeed use Master Spark. I'm disappointed that de-leveling doesn't work so I can't exactly write a good boss fight description for her. Remilia kills her in three hits T.T
I'm way too over-leveled for this fight.
I'm just stupid and used the wrong option. Time to actually fight Yuuka with difficulty.

Also once you guys are done with all the spells / items, I will gladly do the wiki editing.
On the subject of Iai Slash, I should probably adjust the transchecker script to ignore the Japanese quotes or something and not require an exact match. I'm sure there's other duplicated attack names. One I noticed in particular was "Froggy braves the elements" versus "Kero-chan braves the wind and rain". That's definitely one I'm aiming for consistency with. That, and "kero-chan" is dumb.
I don't want stuff like that left in the wiki.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:52:33 PM by jaxter0987 »

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2013, 02:37:52 AM »
One I noticed in particular was "Froggy braves the elements" versus "Kero-chan braves the wind and rain". That's definitely one I'm aiming for consistency with. That, and "kero-chan" is dumb.

"Kero-chan braves the wind and rain" was taken directly from Suwako's spellcard on the wiki, I didn't really check the LoT1 wiki to check the name when I first did those spells.

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2013, 02:41:35 AM »
"Kero-chan braves the wind and rain" was taken directly from Suwako's spellcard on the wiki, I didn't really check the LoT1 wiki to check the name when I first did those spells.
I believe it's "Froggy braves the elements" in the English MoF patch, and that it was changed to the current name sometime later, probably because people felt it wasn't literal enough.

Or something. I honestly stopped paying attention to wiki translations a long time ago.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2013, 03:56:03 AM »

It indeed is "Froggy brave the elements" in the English MoF patch.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »
OK, this should be every references from the japanese wiki now on our spreadsheet.

Some of them have the english name, most of it is because I was able to confirm the reference, or because it's an item from the previous game that had the same name. If there is an english name, but no description for the reference, it's mostly because the name is directly translatable, but there may be some changes needed.

If there is no name, or description of it with the game reference, that means I wasn't able to find anything about it and more research would need to be done on it (stuff like Metal Max, Magical Vacation, Sansara Naga, Dragon Quest are harder to find since they don't really have wikis for them, or games that have no english releases obviously don't have official english names for the items)

Also, I'm only listing what the japanese wiki has done, which means there may be more, or the references might be wrong.

Wymar

• ⑨⑨
  • Apathy is a powerful mehtivator.
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »
The items are out of order, which is giving me trouble associating them with their counterparts on the wiki.

And while I'm at it, I added translations for the Tisiphone Edge, Happy Hat, and possibly the Teardrop Crystal.

I also complained about the lack of a Pwnhammer, but that's neither here nor there.

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
The items are out of order, which is giving me trouble associating them with their counterparts on the wiki.

And while I'm at it, I added translations for the Tisiphone Edge, Happy Hat, and possibly the Teardrop Crystal.

I also complained about the lack of a Pwnhammer, but that's neither here nor there.

What do you mean? Out of order in the text dump? That's expected. You need to compare it against the untranslated text dump.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »
I'll post my updated item sheet, it has japanese names, english names and effects, and it's all in order in how they appear in the game.
http://www.mediafire.com/?7844l0k4pbn2n27
It's missing some special items and names may still be subject to change, but that's at least a start

To be sure about the names, always refer yourself to the spreadsheet, they are most of the time the final ones
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:59:02 PM by kuilfrayt »

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »
Do you have that as a text file for translations? As I recall the earlier spreadsheet wasn't complete.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
I can make one tonight if you want with the stuff that Regal has done, plus all the new references we now have.

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2013, 11:00:12 PM »
Please. Thank you.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »
Btw, for the unsure translation on the spreadsheet
Address is <0084DBB4>. 0084DBEC is displayed at the same time, which DOES have a %d. The problem is that BOTH lines got a %d in the translation, which is very bad. And I don't want to just cut it out, because it sounds like it was translated with the %d in mind, somehow.
"Choose party formation from slot #%d."
Shows up as this

So, you can safely remove that #%d

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »
Yeah, that 3780416 is what happens when you have unexpected %ds.

Just change it to "Choose party formation from slot"?

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2013, 01:34:07 AM »
Yes, it's gonna be pretty much the same as when you register favorites

Pastebins
Main Equipment
Sub Equipment
Material
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:07:54 AM by kuilfrayt »

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2013, 02:45:16 AM »
The missing DQ item グランドラゴーンのメダル is Grand Dragon's Medal, but I'm not sure if there's an official localization for the item - DQ localizations are spotty and inconsistent for games of earlier release than DQ8, and I'm _pretty_ sure this is referencing the GBC release of DQ3, which had a pretty bad localization due to name length issues and such.

The official localization of the DS Shiren the Wanderer translates 回復の腕輪 as "Recovery Armband."  In that game, it makes Shiren recover 5 HP per step instead of 1, but also doubles the rate at which Shiren becomes hungry. 

幸せの靴 (another Dragon Quest reference) is either Shoes of Happiness or Elevating Shoes, based on which localization you take.  The former is from the NES localization of Dragon Quest 3, while the latter is from the more recent Dragon Quest 8/9.  In Dragon Quest 9, the item is an accessory that boosts EXP gain by 5%, while in DQ3 it gives you 1 EXP per step outside of battle.  Should probably use Elevating Shoes to be consistent with Happy Hat (which is from modern DQ localization)

ふんばりのゆびわ - http://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Oracle_of_Seasons/Rings might help, but I don't know anything beyond that.

世界樹の雫 (Dragon Quest) is Yggdrasil Dew.

I can't cross reference 壁抜けの腕輪 to the official Shiren localization, unfortunately.

尖ったホネ is Bone Stake, from DQ5 DS's official localization.  The fan translation of DQ5 PS2 called it Sharpened Bone.

空飛ぶ靴 is Talaria in DQ4 DS' official localization, I believe.  Previous versions of the game (including the 'beta' translation present in the Japanese DQ4 DS ROM) called these the more literal Flying Shoes or Winged Boots, I think.

霜降り肉: You might be best off just translating this one literally, I don't think it's in the modern DQM games and the older ones had lousy 9 character item name limits compromising their translation.