Author Topic: Help with some EoSD issues and other stuff.  (Read 4220 times)

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
Help with some EoSD issues and other stuff.
« on: January 23, 2016, 03:56:21 AM »
Hi, I'm new here, but I've been around for a while as a guest, i couldn't register due to Recaptcha errors, so I'd like to ask some help with stuff like stress management, because  i often tend to lose it when dodging some patterns and spellcards in EoSD (Examples would be Patchy's Water Sign Princess Undine and Remilia's Last Spellcard) even though i later realize i was going to be alright, I'm a bit new to Danmaku, started about a week ago and only 2 days ago beat Normal 1cc using 4 starting lives, so I'd like some tips to chill and if I'm going on a decent growth rate or if I'm not doing well and should try harder. Sorry if i wrote some stuff wrong, English is my second language.  :ohdear:

(Puddle of mental sweat, shyness and anxiety here, but nothing to worry about)
PS: Sorry if the post isn't good enough, i'm not good at this.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:33:22 AM by Starlighthawk »

Re: Help with some EoSD issues and other stuff.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:53:16 PM »
Is the problem being too tense during the moment or is it anger after messing up?  As you gain more experience you'll have adapted to hairy situations and feel decreased tension, I think.  It's certainly something I that remember feeling in the past but can't remember feeling that often anymore.

Your growth rate sounds a-ok!  Just don't be discouraged if the next milestone is farther away.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »
Why not play the stages you have trouble with in stage practice? That way, you don't have as much pressure regarding losing lives when learning. Once you're more familiar with each pattern (capturing what you can, and using a bomb at times you'd expect to die at), you should be better in a full run.

Also, a Normal 1cc in under a month is pretty fast if you're new to danmaku games-- I know you said yours wasn't default lives, but sounds like you're getting close already. Just keep trying, and keep in mind this genre takes a lot of practice.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 08:15:38 PM »
It's more about getting overwhelmed by the bullets getting close to that hitbox, triggering the urge to bomb. And about getting pissed with mistakes, i'm good at dealing with it, i play Fire Emblem (that's why i'm no good at RNG-based spellcards,i've developed a costitutional hatred towards it seems like, damn those 63%Hit 2%Crit rate crits on Hector, almost made me throw my GBA SP on the wall.... almost!)

I always take a break to vent gas/steam when i do something stupid like dying to stray bullets after ending a phase(Hear that Meiling?!?!?) or bumping onto knifes thrown by a flying ninja maid(BTW the hell are those hitboxes on those knifes?, i'm pretty convinced that they are a bit unfair sometimes, after all few bullets in touhou have a sprite true to the hitbox, and those are mostly the pellet and tiny dot ones)

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »
EoSD is known to have some funky hitboxes. The knives can be a bit weird, and the bubble bullets have a hitbox that is way too large compared to all the later games.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 09:21:35 PM »
In a brief i can classify myself like this:

Name:Rafael
Favorite Playstyle: Reimu B(The shot's great DPS and good area along with Reimu's speed with allows me to make slower and more refined in precision moves magnetized me towards this), sure the bomb is weak but i tend to look towards the endgame, and i mostly use bombs for garbage clear.
Does well on:
Spellcards that have patterns and/or have slow dense waves of bullets.
Struggles with: RNG-based cards, fast spam of fast danmaku (I feel unease when i can't get a chance to analyze the trajectory, although this has been minimized with time)
Other quirks:
Listening to music that contain piano/violin play soothes his soul and reminds him of his childhood, increasing evasion.
When facing new spellcards automatically analyzes them and gets briefly mesmerized, slowing reaction time for a few seconds.
Has a strange affinity with blue, having better performance whenether the color is present on the bullets.
My Sengokyo, wait no, Gensyoko, not that either, Gensoko?Gensokyo(there ya go!) Character controlling self is this.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 02:28:07 AM »
Also is there a kind of post for Spellcard help? I'd like to get some help with Patchy's Extra Stage Royal Flare and Flandre's Cranberry Trap(I think it this is the one? The one that has her firing bullets from the edge of the playing field)

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 02:54:34 AM »
Also is there a kind of post for Spellcard help? I'd like to get some help with Patchy's Extra Stage Royal Flare and Flandre's Cranberry Trap(I think it this is the one? The one that has her firing bullets from the edge of the playing field)

Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spellcard help afterall

The blue bullets in Cranberry Trap are static I think, and the purple ones are aimed?
Might be the other way around, someone can verify, but Cranberry Trap is a memorisation spell. Memorise a safe-route through the blue bullets that won't get you murdered by the pruple ones.

Royal Flare is completely static. MarisaA can ironically thus capture it without moving from spawn position, which is pretty funny.
You'll want to memorise a safe path through Royal Flare too.

Monarda

• Art by Amibazh
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spellcard help afterall

The blue bullets in Cranberry Trap are static I think, and the purple ones are aimed?
Might be the other way around, someone can verify, but Cranberry Trap is a memorisation spell. Memorise a safe-route through the blue bullets that won't get you murdered by the pruple ones.

Royal Flare is completely static. MarisaA can ironically thus capture it without moving from spawn position, which is pretty funny.
You'll want to memorise a safe path through Royal Flare too.

Thanks, this should help a lot on my Extra attemps. :)