Author Topic: Suisei no Gargantia - Star Trek - the anime?  (Read 16179 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Suisei no Gargantia - Star Trek - the anime?
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:13:09 AM »
I feel like I sat down for something awesome - Far into the future, humanity has escaped the Earth, establishing giant colonies in space in a faraway corner of the galaxy - AVALON. A beautiful wonderland which offers its inhabitants to have free will, freedom to procreate, and then the freedom to consume and be human (apparently at this point, until you served in the army you are less than human, very Spartan like). The promised heaven is promised to soldiers of the Alliance, an army of insurmountable high tech mechs known as Machine Calibers fight against a superior force of aliens inhabiting this corner of space, and poses a significant and constant threat to the human communities here in Avalon. These soldiers fight to expand both human grounds and find a home planet for which they can settle down finally. The super high-tech human race that honed its rigid tech from war with the creatures of space called the Hideauze, took the fight to the aliens, only after fighting a losing battle, one escapee lost his grip while escaping with the remaining crew to safety via wormhole/warp-space technology (or for Starwars fans, a hyperdrive tunnel or some shit), and somehow ended up on Earth - after the 4th ice age.

There he meets a crew of salvagers on the now submerged Earth, a watery planet reminding me of the exact set up of sadly - Kevin Costner's Waterworld but with classy anime characters (hooray no fanservice and strongwomen at helm!) Ledo - pilot of the 'Yunboro' as named by the sea-planet inhabitants or Chamber (Machine Caliber) must choose between destroying lesser humans that emerged after his crash landing on the planet some half a year after his failed escape from the space attackers that pursued them.

Production value is equal if not higher than Shingeki no Kyoujin, has mechas, and what is most importantly - what I love most - Space the final frontier. What I like about this - it is not LETS GO BALLS OUT WITH MECHA AND SMASH SHIT UP WITH EVERYTHING.

the technology displayed from episode 1 onwards showcase some unique thinking. from what I see
- highly pinpointed laser weaponry, designed to penetrate specific points in targeted areas. *significant because every starship ever is PEW PEW PEW as much as you can.
- Floating technology - seemingly based on Mag Lev of the future.
- A giant race of space octopuses that resemble giant flowers with teeth, seemingly able to live in space, and is oblivious to radiation as well as direct contact with stars and the heat spewed from them (seeing as one seemed to be standing directly in front of one)
- Space-warp technology, reminds me of Macross Frontier.
- A Kevin Costner-ish after Earth. Inhabited by pirates and salvagers.

So anyone watching this??

EDIT
Thanks Maullar

Streaming - Now streaming on Crunchyroll
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:39:01 AM by ♛ 真・天夢音 - Shin Amamune-ryuu »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
Re: Suisei no Gargantia - Star Trek - the anime?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:34:23 AM »
no fanservice

nope, not watching it

Actually, this sounds pretty cool. Starship Troopers meets time travel meets animu

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:38:59 AM »
I watched the first two episodes with a friend and my brother today. I'll definitely follow it through the season; it's different enough from what I kind of watch to interest me!

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
One of the animes of choice for this season. And this season is full of good stuff, a rarity that happens like once in two-three years.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:01:20 PM »
the outfits themselves
Spoiler:
and dear god those tans
is enough fanservice for me.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Palewolf

• バカ狼ですよ
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:49:10 PM »
I'm not exactly thrilled by mecha but i decided to give it a go because Urobuchi, it's quite interesting so far i would say.
Spoiler:
Amy just opened quite the can of worms with that request i think.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »
not the biggest mecha fan but I've been watching this with eagerness given that Urobuchi and Production IG are like peanut butter and chocolate for me.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »
Just saw the first ep of this.  Flat-out awesome.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 03:37:16 AM »
the outfits themselves
Spoiler:
and dear god those tans
is enough fanservice for me.

Spoiler:
Given these tanned girls are exposed at a water world under the sun... I bet their skin is all wrinkly and dry like leather anyway... I mean, have you ever seen smooth pirates? dunno if they smell like Davy Jones Locker down there

[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Quad City QBs

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:48:59 AM »
First episode was pretty cool! I still say it's more like Starship Troopers meets A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court meets Macross Frontier than it is like Star Trek, though.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
You are right, it is hardly as boring. (admittedly, it is, save for action heavy Deep Space 9 and Voyager)

In episode 2 I grow more and more liking Chamber, now this is some kick ass AI that far exceeds Jarvis. (from Ironman)

Quad City QBs

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
Now streaming on Crunchyroll if you wanna add a link to the OP.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 02:22:34 AM »
Looks good so far. Nice character/set designs.

I'm wondering where the conflict of this show is going to come from though, since it looks like any enemy that would be non-trivial for Ledo would obliterate the rest of the cast.

Edible

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »
Looks good so far. Nice character/set designs.

I'm wondering where the conflict of this show is going to come from though, since it looks like any enemy that would be non-trivial for Ledo would obliterate the rest of the cast.

With any luck it will be more of a character drama than a battle anime.

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »
Watched the first couple of episodes, and it looks good! Putting this one on my watch-list. Lots of stuff to see this season.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 06:46:32 PM »
At this point I must insist on a colliding of  images from The Last Samurai - 'Do the soldiers in your country not kill?' The alien would have asked. I am afraid this 3rd episode does make it seem more and more like Star Trek, if only the clash of technology here, but also the way they forced him to fight.

Man,  I just hope he doesn't go out there convincing his commanders to make peace with the Hideauze in the last few episodes because as far as I am concerned, this is very dumb. The people on Gargantia should know better.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 11:34:09 PM »
That was awful. My expectations for this series are greatly diminished.

There are plenty of ways they could've gone after last episode. They could've had the civilians be terrified of Ledo after seeing what he's capable of. They could've had the pirates show a sympathetic side. But nah, let's sacrifice hundreds of our crewman's lives in a battle in which the enemy fully intends to kill us instead of having Ledo vaporize them in half a second. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:38:26 PM by Stuffman »

Edible

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »
The writing went to shit in the third episode, not sure what they were thinking.

I'm going to chalk it off as a one-off since the first two episodes were so great (and the animation quality did not diminish), but... yeesh.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 11:42:29 PM »
I'm going to chalk it off as a one-off since the first two episodes were so great (and the animation quality did not diminish), but... yeesh.

I'll give it another few episodes before I drop it, but basically my primary concern has been confirmed, they don't know how to write around Ledo being so OP.

Edible

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 11:48:51 PM »
I'll give it another few episodes before I drop it, but basically my primary concern has been confirmed, they don't know how to write around Ledo being so OP.

For what it's worth, ep 3 was written by someone else.  It may have been intended as filler.  At least that's what I'm hoping.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 02:40:48 AM »
It seemed a little too major of an event to be filler. I'm guessing the "conflict" is going to mostly be Ledo getting over his soldier-y-ness and coping with the hippy side of Gargantia for a few episodes.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 04:02:23 AM »
I am afraid where all things are concerned they cannot hope to write Ledo off as being someone like... Klaatu or something, they cannot make him NOT have feelings because lol Japanese and honor and stuff, I dunno, it just seems like it had to go what was essentially typical of shows like these.

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »
Hmm, according to Wikipedia, Gen Urobuchi (Madoka, Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass) will be the writer for the first (probably includes the second) and the last episodes, with other episodes by others. Probably explains the writing drop-off.

If they really do make him write just the first and the last episodes, though, it could be a pretty big problem.

Edible

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »
After careful consideration I have determined the following phrase is accurate for episode 3 of this show.

Spoiler:
"Team Lesbian's blasting off agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain"

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »
Right, he sets the pace for the most amazingly animated show of the season and then the others drop the ball.
way to go.

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 05:51:20 PM »
It seemed a little too major of an event to be filler. I'm guessing the "conflict" is going to mostly be Ledo getting over his soldier-y-ness and coping with the hippy side of Gargantia for a few episodes.
Well, Urobuchi said he was writing this series for the youth who are facing the prospects of Japan's corporate culture, so this interpretation makes plenty of sense.

Quote from: Gen Urobuchi
"From the moment this anime was in its planning stages, one of the themes I set for it was to incorporate a message for our young people in their late teens and early twenties?in other words, those are just about to enter society, or those who have just entered society and feel lost at sea. I made a point to keep this theme in mind as I composed the story, so it has a different flavor from the many other works I've created in the past. I hope that this work will act as encouragement for all of those who are being forced to struggle hard in the harsh climate of our frozen job market."

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »
So I guess in that case, the show really will be about Ledo trying to adapt to a daily life when the only skill he has is blowing shit up. Hopefully the writers don't blow it and the show stays watchable.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
then we are back to being Star Trek then, because I can count a few episodes where an inhuman space borg or something gets converted into something quite, but not really human. with much the hypocrisy added into the mix, I am afraid I wasn't looking for that, but as long as this show stays on a good course, it will be watchable I guess, bearable at least.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 11:44:17 PM »
This week's episode was nice. Using spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

Spoiler:
Ledo and Bevel interacting is too cute.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 01:25:48 AM »
Well this is well written for an episode about human interactions, I like the discovery of the human emotion thing... when it is well done like this.