Author Topic: [TF2] MotK Meetups (Next Meet: SOMEBODY SCREEEEAAAAAM! Oct 31s - Nov 1st)  (Read 338331 times)

Freyband

• Mpph! Mmm, mm mmm mph mmm!
Re: [TF2] MotK Meetups (NEXT MEET: March 30th (8PM) - 31st (9AM; 8PM))
« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2012, 03:59:01 AM »
Hopefully this goes well. Figure it'll devolve into something strange, weird, and amusing at some point. Probably will be there both days, nights if not saturday morning as well (if I do show up in the morning it'd be late in though most likely).
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

« Reply #181 on: March 15, 2012, 04:16:17 AM »
Count me in for both times!

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2012, 04:42:39 AM »
I'll be in for the Saturday one, though I'll probably be an hour or so late.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »
I'll try to make it for at least one of the nights. I'd see if anyone was up to practice this weekend if I wasn't going to be otherwise occupied.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
Count me in on all of the times, since it's my vacation by that time. I'll bring in some friends too, if you don't mind.

This is going to be the best shit evar. (and also opportunity for me to level up my knife and shotgun and axe. :V)

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »
I'll try to be there for both. Saturday I'll almost definitely make it.

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »
Saturday night seems likely, morning is  :ohdear:
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: [TF2] MotK Meetups (NEXT MEET: March 29-31 (8PM; 9AM Sat too)
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »
All right then...looking at things here, I think we can put back the Thursday meet time (also 8PM). We'll leave the morning one as is, however.

I'll probably leave a bit early on all three evening meets, however, but we have a decent voting system in place should admins/ops not be present.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:37:04 PM by はたたた Potato Fryers »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Messiah

• The Devil on The Sky~
  • In seek for the lost DotS
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2012, 02:04:38 AM »
I guess I can make it for Friday. Not sure about Saturday.
Steam Profile                 Myanimelist Profile

I should be able to make most of those meetups. Thursday night I might go to bed early though.
TF2 Server
osu! : omgkitties

InfernalExuro

• I lied. Totally dead.
Welp, my boss decided to make me work those wonderful 13-hour midnights next week, so no Thursday meetup for me. Should be home for the others at least.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
TF2? With MotK? At midnight? Sure why not.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

It's been a while since I've done anything on MoTK, but mind if I tag along? I'm good for friday and (possibly) saturday

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
Guys gonna be really late. Stupid emergency.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
The results of Day 1 while I was there:
 - Server was laggier than last time D: (omgkitties was on standby for some time, in case things went off)
 - Beware of children pubbies getting on when switching map to Eyeaduct
 - VSH seems to be a bit bugged, in that voices and music don't all work on the first map I set it on. Later maps fix it though, despite having to set hale_enabled cvar on with every map load.
 - Selectable Hale boss is quite the request! Bettter nab a modded VSH with that feature or boost work on my own VSH version.
 - Alpha finds an exploit in Watchtower concerning the radio mast using Mantreads (though I got up there via Detonator) in VSH; hard for Hale to get to, so using that tower will be disallowed. If someone is up there and no admin is present, cap the point.

Bad command or file name

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
Strange thing is that I didn't even expect a meet to happen today.

InfernalExuro

• I lied. Totally dead.
It's possible that I might vanish for the weekend now. In the event that I don't, I'm horribly out-of-practice, so you'll be able to get your fill of kicking me around some.

...Until I shake all the rust off. :V

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
Children awaken a murderous rage within me :V.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
It's possible that I might vanish for the weekend now. In the event that I don't, I'm horribly out-of-practice, so you'll be able to get your fill of kicking me around some.

...Until I shake all the rust off. :V
No need to worry about that; I've had quite a beating on Steel yesterday amid getting rusty on vanilla TF2. Too much time in VSH, I guess. :V

Children awaken a murderous rage within me :V.
Understandably so...I don't see the need to implement usergroups on our server just yet, though, in an effort to regulate this. If it was used more frequently then this could be considered, but as it stands now admin action works fine.

Meet Day 2 results - Oh god the lag!

We checked server FPS (Gamecubic's suggestion), and it's running at 66-67 (which is the normal amount) with major frame drops on map loads. Seems that either we have to boost our hardware or tweak the kernel at this point, and the former isn't a really good option considering our usage trends. (For the MC server, on the other hand....)

Gimmick maps such as Donkeykong and Megaman are fun but players seem averse to them. Not too surprised at that response.

Some have suggested separate servers for modded gamemodes, namely Surf and VSH. Seems fine but I don't think demand and use is high enough to justify this.

...too many Gunslinger Engies on occasion! Makes mini-sentries just that much more annoying. D: Does this mean we have to consider the Class Restrictions plugin and set a hard limit of 1-3 Engies per team? :ohdear:

Lastly I really need to check the character limit for giving reasons when kicking/banning. Several messages keep getting clipped :V
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:14:17 AM by デモパン Hat Traders »
Bad command or file name

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Megaman was perfectly fine, but I could see why Donkey Kong was disliked.

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
it's running at 66-67 normally with major frame drops on map loads.
Source servers are made to run at 66-67 FPS, that's not a problem.
Nobody gives a flying f about frame drops on map loads considering clients need to load the map too, and the server won't let clients on before it's done loading :V

If you run "net_graph 1" in console, you'll get a bunch of stats about network usage on your HUD, including the number of frames per second you send to the server (usually 66-67, this is normal1) and the number of frames received from the server. Noticeable "frame-drops" usually happen below 60 frames received per second, but anything under 66 is not normal. Some SourceMod plugins can cause massive slowdowns, otherwise it can be a DDoS or other network attack.

1 SOURCE ENGINE 101:
The engine forces 66 game-state updates per second. All collision detection, physics updates, input handling, etc. are done during the game-state updates (fixed rate to prevent floating point rounding exploits as seen in older CoDs running at high frame rates).
When you have over 66 fps, it's because your computer would be able to update the game-state more than 66 times. The game doesn't need to update more so it draws the game instead. To make the game look smooth over 66 frames per second, Source interpolates animations and movement so you don't get the same frame 3 times in a row if you run over 200 fps.

So the client and server run at a fixed 66 updates per second, and the client draws at whatever rate the host computer can manage. The server doesn't need to draw anything.

It's possible to change the server's update rate (100 tick servers in CS:S update 100 times per second) but doing it generally uses more bandwidth (sending data 100 times per second instead of 66 times, etc.)

Bio

• resident walker
All your meet-ups at unopportune times for people like me who live on the other side of the world to play.
Is casual spectating allowed btw?

And if you are thinking of class restrictions on engie, then yes, cap at 3, 2 for payloads, generally 2. (alongside <=2 medics, <=3 spies).

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Megaman was perfectly fine, but I could see why Donkey Kong was disliked.
Most of the complaints about Megaman seemed to be the pixellated, low-resolution textures and colour schemes, which made focusing on targets difficult for some. The former doesn't seem to have much grounds, considering that I've heard very few complaints about textures in Minepit (Minecraft's low-resolution textures rule the day there).

Source servers are made to run at 66-67 FPS, that's not a problem.
Nobody gives a flying f about frame drops on map loads considering clients need to load the map too, and the server won't let clients on before it's done loading :V
Reworded the part you quoted already to clarify things. I was looking at an online server performance grapher omgkitties had messaged me, and aside from major drops (30-odd at times) it was fairly constant with a mean (even with the drops) 61-ish FPS, max about 65.7 or so.

Thanks for the further information - I'll be using this in tomorrow's morning meet to further analyze this.

All your meet-ups at unopportune times for people like me who live on the other side of the world to play.
Is casual spectating allowed btw?
Spectating is welcome anytime!

It is possible to play under these times and locations (see Yukarin), but expect at least 200 ping minimum.

And if you are thinking of class restrictions on engie, then yes, cap at 3, 2 for payloads, generally 2. (alongside <=2 medics, <=3 spies).
I'm thinking more along the lines of VSH-style class restrictions - 2 Engies, 3 Spies, and 2-3 Scouts max per team. Though the Medic one is a good idea too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:42:33 AM by デモパン Hat Traders »
Bad command or file name

InfernalExuro

• I lied. Totally dead.
The Megaman map just played all sorts of hell on my eyes, personally. :V

Most of the complaints about Megaman seemed to be the pixellated, low-resolution textures and colour schemes, which made focusing on targets difficult for some.
The Megaman map just played all sorts of hell on my eyes, personally. :V

No love for the 8 Bit era nowadays. You crazy, spoiled kids! For shame! :V

To be honest, my game ran a lot better when I played the Megaman 6 map that one time.. (not sure if it was on the MotK server..)

InfernalExuro

• I lied. Totally dead.
I'd be fine if it was any other situation, but bright colors + 3D + first-person = lots of eye strain and missed axe swings.

...Besides, I was raised on 8-bit goodness. Nothing says good parenting quite like roflstomping your 4-year-old in a game of Dr. Mario. :getdown:

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [TF2] MotK Meetups (NEXT MEET: ???)
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2012, 02:37:49 AM »
No love for the 8 Bit era nowadays. You crazy, spoiled kids! For shame! :V
They obviously want more washed-out earth tone colours. D:

I'd be fine if it was any other situation, but bright colors + 3D + first-person = lots of eye strain and missed axe swings.
Maybe consider disabling colour correction and adjust monitor settings?

Day 3 results - wait, we had one?!

MORNING: Basically a joke and a practice. 9 players at best, and lag was non-existent. We all left after an hour, and it failed to do what I wanted it to do, so morning events will be canned.
EVENING: omgkitties removed all the addons we had, except for SourceMod basics and a few extra commands, in an effort to fix lag. Results did show, as we had little lag throughout (though we had max 15 people). We were pretty burned out by this point so most of us left after 2 hours.

Quite a few pubbies joined in for this one and, at the time of writing, are the majority on the server (10 of 12 players).

So I conclude this set as all over. (and for some crying over their performance, why don't you try hard? >:D)

FOR THE NEXT MEETING:
 - Reinstate some mods (VSH, gScramble, Give Weapon, etc.) while keeping others off
 - No morning times!
 - 2 meetings max? (Thursday and Friday likely - Saturday ones seem to be less populated than the others)
 - Implement Class Restrictions (thanks Gunslinger spammers D:)
 - Extra gamemodes? Cubic suggests Surf, Kyo Tanaka wants VSH Deathrun maps...I like both, but for good Surfing we'd need the structure to assist newcomers to this gamemode, and I prefer Deathrun in CS (thanks Scoots D:). Maybe PropHunt, Dodgeball, or CrabMod?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:47:53 AM by デモパン Hat Traders »
Bad command or file name

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
I'm not too fond of PropHunt... I'm fine with Dodgeball, however It can also help some pyros with reflecting thing. Never heard of CrabMod, though.

Also, if a certain mod becomes unpopular, then it should be disabled for controlling the lag.

Re: [TF2] MotK Meetups (NEXT MEET: ????????)
« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »
So I guess I should've turned up on the friday then. Shame I'm always knackered on a friday night, 2am on a friday is a big ask :P

Oh well, saturday was fun anyways

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [TF2] MotK Meetups (NEXT MEET: ????????)
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2012, 03:23:05 AM »
And here goes another day of server updating and testing! (welp there goes my Ludum Dare work :derp:)

Changelog:
 - Added the following plugins:
     o Freak Fortress 2* (replaces VSH)
     o Automatic Bot Names + 150 names made by yours truly
     o Class Restrictions:
            x Engineers, Scouts: 2 each per team (Gunslinger + FaN = the annoying duo)
            x Medics, Spies: 3 each per team (Medic trains can deter team efforts, and most VSH/FF2 servers limit Spies)
            x Soldier, Demo, Sniper under consideration
 - All old plugins except for Randomizer are back. We didn't care much for that mode though
- Changed auto-balance settings to use gScramble instead of TF2's built-in one; auto-scramble for after 3 consecutive wins will be set shortly (config file difficulties)
 - Banned a few persistent trouble-making pubbies (you know who you are >:D)
 - I have RCON HQ for my mobile. Great for checking server status, and maybe even perform some commands too on the go. It's not quite HLSW though, but that's Android-only :<

* - If you want FF2, contact an admin/op to load the plugin via rcon and SourceMod commands. Reason being is that if the plugin is loaded, balance issues result very frequently in vanilla, making playing it a pain. Therefore I opted to keep the plugin unloaded by default - hopefully future releases patch this.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:53:41 PM by デモパン Hat Traders »
Bad command or file name