Author Topic: NY Anime Festival  (Read 11494 times)

NY Anime Festival
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:00:44 AM »
Anyone going? I heard that some people are going to cosplay as Touhou chars. If anyone else is going, maybe we could all meet up?

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
Re: NY Anime Festival
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:59:56 AM »
triangles and I will be stopping by outside the con to say hi to some people but we don't really plan to go to the con per se.  :-/ 

ITT also NY metro area MotKers, sound the hell off so we can coordinate some kind of get-together or something in the future!

Onozuka Nikuyokura

• Powdered Sugar-Loli of Frosty Goodness
  • I'mma catch me an Iku Fish.
    • AWBW Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:18:31 AM »
As much as I would absolutely go to one of these, there's a few problems keeping me from going such as money, area, and I'm not as tomgirlish in appearance as I am in nature.

Though a friend of mine lives in NY; look for the pale guy with a wiry afro!

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:26:12 PM »
I'll be going, but just on Friday. I'll be mostly buying stuff and doing Gundam stuff. Say good-bye to a good bit of my bank account...

I'll be in a yukkuri t-shirt, if anyone wants to find me but i haven't done anything famous so yay

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:06:55 PM »
I'm going to be going in on Saturday. I live on Long Island, so I have to take a train in, but it's not terrible. I'm probably going to be buying some shirts there, although they probably won't have anything touhou-related :(

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 03:32:11 AM »
THERE IS A TOUHOU FANARTIST AT NYAF

HOW DO I KNOW?

THEY WERE PHOTOGRAPHED BY A CNN IREPORT PERSON

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-333956

SLIDE 6 HOLY CRAP TOUHOU ON CNN

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 03:37:21 AM »
THERE IS A TOUHOU FANARTIST AT NYAF

HOW DO I KNOW?

THEY WERE PHOTOGRAPHED BY A CNN IREPORT PERSON

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-333956

SLIDE 6 HOLY CRAP TOUHOU ON CNN
KANAKO TITS LAWL

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 03:43:45 AM »
KANAKO TITS LAWL

Edit: This isn't the classroom, so I might as well add something.
It's cool that this made into CNN. Are you planning on finding this artist to see if everything they have is good?

Menorah Jams, Pham

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 03:48:42 AM »
We didn't go and none of our friends would know what to look for D: 

However, this con having a Touhou presence has motivated triangles to kick off her China costume for T-Mode down in Alexandria, VA.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 03:58:46 AM »
Oh, that's a shame, but simultaneously sounds good. Is triangles into cosplay, or is she just doing Touhou characters now because she's into it?
Related: Are you guys big on going to cons? Or are you just lucky to have a decent amount nearby? I know I'd be more enthusiastic about cons if I wasn't broke all the time, and there weren't only one good con in the area.

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 03:59:44 AM »
I only saw one person doing Touhou art, but he was sharing the table with someone else. I don't think it was the same person. o_o

And I got to the Touhou merchandise booth too late it seems ;_; there wasn't much there. Got complimented for my t-shirt though >_<

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
This was the guy with the table: http://kouotsu.deviantart.com/

I didn't see the guy from the CNN article though, and I was there for a whole 12 hours on saturday, just wandering around. I would have seen it.

These were the two touhou-related prints he had:
http://kouotsu.deviantart.com/art/suwako-sip-127045270
http://kouotsu.deviantart.com/art/Orin-120513910

I bought a large one of Rin, it looks awesome. Supposedly he's planning on selling t-shirts eventually. I noticed he had two Yukkuri plushes on the top of one of his displays. He wasn't doing commissions, for whatever reason.

I also saw a few touhou shirts, as well as someone cosplaying as Erin. Someone also had a Suwako hat.

Edit: Wait, there was a Touhou merchandise booth?! O_O
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:18:22 PM by arcanesign »

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 03:13:14 PM »
Haha, that Suwako was exactly the one I got. He was the guy in the picture?

There was a booth that had a lot of doujin stuff, including a box with some Touhou stuff in it. Mostly doujinshi everywhere though. The other side of the booth screaming yaoi probably set you off.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 03:44:01 PM »
Haha, that Suwako was exactly the one I got. He was the guy in the picture?

There was a booth that had a lot of doujin stuff, including a box with some Touhou stuff in it. Mostly doujinshi everywhere though. The other side of the booth screaming yaoi probably set you off.

Wait a sec, that wasn't /just/ a Yaoi booth? What kind of stuff did it have, just doujinshi manga in japanese?

I just remembered I think I may have seen someone cosplay as Tewi, but it could have been some other character that looked oddly similar. I remember that was the case when I saw some figurines that looked like Cirno, but were actually some Evangelion char.

BTW: some pictures are starting to show up on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=New+york+anime+festival&s=rec&z=e

That bumblebee cosplay was /awesome/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 04:00:06 PM by arcanesign »

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »
Someone also had a Suwako hat.

I know him. I'm trading a doll with him for that hat~

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »

Were you with him? I think I saw you.

And I got to the Touhou merchandise booth too late it seems ;_; there wasn't much there. Got complimented for my t-shirt though >_<

Was it in the morning? That might have been me...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:44:12 PM by arcanesign »

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 02:58:11 AM »
I don't remember, lol. I don't think it was "morning", per se, since the thing opened at 1. Whoever it was, they were wearing the same thing.

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 04:31:11 PM »

Were you with him? I think I saw you.

Nah, I couldn't make it this year. I'll probably go next year though.

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
More pictures: http://www.flickr.com/groups/nyanimefestival/

I wish I had a camera with me at the time so I could take a picture of the Erin cosplay :/

kouotsu

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 12:21:14 AM »
I bought a large one of Rin, it looks awesome. Supposedly he's planning on selling t-shirts eventually. I noticed he had two Yukkuri plushes on the top of one of his displays. He wasn't doing commissions, for whatever reason.

Hello, kouotsu here! I am glad you like the Rin print. I actually was doing commissions, if I told you I wasn't or had my sign taken down then I guess it was Sunday when I didn't have anymore time?? Though 2 people still asked Sunday and I agreed. Then I found out bkub was at NYAF and had to rush to draw him something on top of those 2 lol... I got 12 commissions during the con so I was pretty busy!

Sorry that you missed the opportunity -- it is best to visit Artist Alley by mid-Saturday if you are interested in commissions from people, especially from me lol because I tend to spend more time on them than I should in relation to price lol

I sold t-shirts at Otakon, I just didn't have the money to produce more for NYAF. Hopefully I will go to Katsucon this coming February and have a whole new shirt design ready and made.

P.S. I did see the Tewi, she stopped by my table! I did not see that Kanako print personally, but I heard about it from someone during the con. Guess I should draw some boob touhous

Thanks again to everyone who supported me, aside from that one Kanako print I still seem to be monopolizing Touhou in the east coast artist alleys lol. Can't count how many times I have heard "duuude you're the only one here that does touhou!!!!"

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 12:42:15 AM »
Hello, kouotsu here! I am glad you like the Rin print. I actually was doing commissions, if I told you I wasn't or had my sign taken down then I guess it was Sunday when I didn't have anymore time?? Though 2 people still asked Sunday and I agreed. Then I found out bkub was at NYAF and had to rush to draw him something on top of those 2 lol... I got 12 commissions during the con so I was pretty busy!

Sorry that you missed the opportunity -- it is best to visit Artist Alley by mid-Saturday if you are interested in commissions from people, especially from me lol because I tend to spend more time on them than I should in relation to price lol

I sold t-shirts at Otakon, I just didn't have the money to produce more for NYAF. Hopefully I will go to Katsucon this coming February and have a whole new shirt design ready and made.

P.S. I did see the Tewi, she stopped by my table! I did not see that Kanako print personally, but I heard about it from someone during the con. Guess I should draw some boob touhous

Thanks again to everyone who supported me, aside from that one Kanako print I still seem to be monopolizing Touhou in the east coast artist alleys lol. Can't count how many times I have heard "duuude you're the only one here that does touhou!!!!"
It was actually Saturday, right after you got back from some concert at around 10:45, but it's no prob. I'm glad to here that there was in fact a Tewi and it wasn't just me.

kouotsu

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 01:33:12 AM »
It was actually Saturday, right after you got back from some concert at around 10:45, but it's no prob. I'm glad to here that there was in fact a Tewi and it wasn't just me.

hmmmm the concert I was going to was actually at like 11 so maybe it was because I was going to it?? I didn't actually get to my table Saturday until like 10:30. I cannot exactly remember but sorry about the confusion

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 02:54:07 AM »
hmmmm the concert I was going to was actually at like 11 so maybe it was because I was going to it?? I didn't actually get to my table Saturday until like 10:30. I cannot exactly remember but sorry about the confusion

oh, maybe it was at 11:45 then. Whatever, still happy with my Rin print :D I'm going to get it framed some time this week.