Author Topic: Have a suggestion for a new feature?  (Read 200886 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Have a suggestion for a new feature?
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »
TOO BAD NO ONE CARES

Well, okay.  If you feel the site could be improved by a new feature or addon (see this list here; please note that only mods for SMF 2.0 RC1 work on here at this time until we get RC2 up and running), be sure to let us know.  It would help your case immensely to explain the benefits of your desired mod.  If you are persuasive enough, the administrators and moderation team of MotK will discuss the potential ups and downs of the feature.

Don't be discouraged if we don't respond in this thread or don't approve your addon, though (even if you ARE really persuasive).  We would usually have a good reason for not doing so.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:58:51 PM by TheStupidOne »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Have a suggestion for a new feature?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:01:19 PM »
Just to give forewarning.  Even if we approve your modification, it is unlikely to get implemented until RC2 is live UNLESS the mod provides a major benefit.

This is merely so we can get an idea of what you guys would like while I work furiously on making RC2 not suck function the way we want it to.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:37 AM »
TinyPortal, so we can finally have at least a site mainpage.  :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:01:28 AM »
Denied.  I'm working on the frontpage code right now.  Just took me a while to get my VMWare Server key @_______@;;

Plus it looks like we're going to get 6-9 inches of snow so I have a loooooooooooooong weekend to hack on it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:03:12 AM by TheStupidOne »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:04:43 AM »
Woohoo! o/

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:09:45 AM »
Denied.  I'm working on the frontpage code right now.  Just took me a while to get my VMWare Server key @_______@;;

Plus it looks like we're going to get 6-9 inches of snow so I have a loooooooooooooong weekend to hack on it.
You're welcome~

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 02:10:56 AM »
You're welcome~

You better deliver on this 4am planned start time or I'm going to be stuck at work and I will be pissed >=|

Matsuri

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 02:20:49 AM »
Waitasec. I live one state west of you, TSO.

That means...

shit, I don't want to drive to class through that

dammit letty

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »
Feature request/possible bug: a "Mark as all messages as read" link/button on the main index.  The other SMF forums I'm registered with have one, but it doesn't seem to be accessible with this theme.  I was able to achieve the same thing by copying the the MARK READ link in a subforum and replacing "sa=board;board=3.0" with "sa=all", so it seems that the functionality is already there but isn't exposed.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »
Feature request/possible bug: a "Mark as all messages as read" link/button on the main index.  The other SMF forums I'm registered with have one, but it doesn't seem to be accessible with this theme.  I was able to achieve the same thing by copying the the MARK READ link in a subforum and replacing "sa=board;board=3.0" with "sa=all", so it seems that the functionality is already there but isn't exposed.
You can click 'Show unread posts' and then 'Mark all read' to reach the same effect. That's how I do it.

Barrakketh

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 07:40:07 PM »
You can click 'Show unread posts' and then 'Mark all read' to reach the same effect. That's how I do it.
But that requires an extra click!

No, seriously...if I knew how to retrieve the session ID/whatever that's part of the argument from the main page I would write a Greasemonkey script to add the link to the main index myself...

Oh hey...it's in the logout link.  So I guess I could use a regex to extract it.  And the "Mark all read" link is the exact same thing that I did with the copy/paste/substitute.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Edible

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »
Whenever we get around to upgrading to RC2, there will be a Mark All As Read feature.

<3

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:19:34 PM »
I got it working... mostly.  Now I just have to code the theme/layout all over again since RC2 has a wildly different format :<

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 12:53:55 AM »
I feel sorry for you TSO/Yagami Hayate. You do so much hard work, while I can't code worth squat. I'm gonna say this, cause I might take your work for granted. I don't know exactly what you have done for this site, I don't even know who is in charge, but thanks for everything TSO. I mean it, thanks! Whenever I notice mention of you, their is also usually mention of you working hard, so I thought I may as well thank you.

Back On Topic: I can't really think of a new feature for the site, except maybe a vote thingie, like the Vote of the Day thingie from Gamefaqs.com, just for Touhou stuff.

Edible

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 01:31:55 AM »
Polls are very much disabled for a reason.  They were abused in a prior incarnation of the forums, and they're likely gone for good.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 01:36:19 AM »
Polls are very much disabled for a reason.  They were abused in a prior incarnation of the forums, and they're likely gone for good.

Oh, ok. I wasn't here when polls were, so I never even knew the MotK even had them to begin with.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »
I feel sorry for you TSO/Yagami Hayate. You do so much hard work, while I can't code worth squat. I'm gonna say this, cause I might take your work for granted. I don't know exactly what you have done for this site, I don't even know who is in charge, but thanks for everything TSO. I mean it, thanks! Whenever I notice mention of you, their is also usually mention of you working hard, so I thought I may as well thank you.

Hierarchy wise I guess the mantle has been passed to me as supreme dictator.  Katchura is the original owner of both #shrinemaiden and MoTK, but it looks like I'm about what's left now for the admin staff /o/.  I've basically been the dork screwing with the forums and delaying the front page for about the past 4-5 years.

Back On Topic: I can't really think of a new feature for the site, except maybe a vote thingie, like the Vote of the Day thingie from Gamefaqs.com, just for Touhou stuff.

Polls are universally disabled because like Edible said they've just been used for retarded things in the past.  I tried to make them mod-only but SMF's permission system is completely out of whack and didn't work at all so I just said screw it and disabled it.  I might do a daily poll thing for the front page but it's really a gimmick more than anything.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:59:45 PM by Yagami Hayate »

Barrakketh

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 07:42:37 AM »
Hierarchy wise I guess the mantle has been passed to me as supreme dictator.  Katchura is the original owner of both #shrinemaiden and MoTK, but it looks like I'm about what's left now for the admin staff /o/.  I've basically been the dork screwing with the forums and delaying the front page for about the past 4-5 years.
Have you been the only admin left for the past 4-5 years, or just been primarily doing technical work during that timeframe?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 08:14:43 PM »
Have you been the only admin left for the past 4-5 years, or just been primarily doing technical work during that timeframe?

7hs is still around, and so is Lev, but I guess I'm the only one actively working on the site. 
Up until about a year ago I was just doing technical work/behind the scenes stuff but now I'm trying to at least be active in the community :V

Byakuren Hijiri

• Saint of the White Lotus
  • Let's play a little game of danmaku. If you win~ ♥
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »
A (hopefully) simple thing:
a bookmark Icon for the site. Does not even have to be fancy, maybe just the common 'this subforum includes stuff you have not read yet' coloured yin/yang symbol.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
A (hopefully) simple thing:
a bookmark Icon for the site. Does not even have to be fancy, maybe just the common 'this subforum includes stuff you have not read yet' coloured yin/yang symbol.

There was one, a point item, but the code to link to it broke and I think I might have lost the favicon.  I'll see if I can dig it up later.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
This is as usual probably impossible but

I was thinking, many people belong to more than one special group, but only one tag is visible above the avatar(for obvious reasons, a stack of tags would be stupid and messy), and so the most we can identify of a person's groups is two, considering the username color, like Matsuri is right now. Pink name for Acolyte and blue Global Mod tag.

What if all the custom titles showed in the profile page, and not just one? Then again, this isn't a very important thing, and I doubt it's possible, but
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 06:56:47 AM »

I was thinking, many people belong to more than one special group, but only one tag is visible above the avatar(for obvious reasons, a stack of tags would be stupid and messy), and so the most we can identify of a person's groups is two, considering the username color, like Matsuri is right now. Pink name for Acolyte and blue Global Mod tag.

What if all the custom titles showed in the profile page, and not just one? Then again, this isn't a very important thing, and I doubt it's possible, but

Actually, I'd like to see that, too. Bonus points for letting people choose which status title to display.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 06:59:15 AM »
I don't think it's good to see that. Even more now that novelty tags are gone.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 07:01:34 AM »
I am for this because I am currently a member of no less than 8 usergroups and I want to waste people's time by making them look at them all. >_>
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
Since CPMC is now available to all users, why is it still hidden? kinda hard to lurk before posting when you can't see it while lurking.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 02:57:16 PM »

Not worth my time and effort tbh.  I would have to completely redo the profile and group display system to allow multiple "primary" groups.

Since CPMC is now available to all users, why is it still hidden? kinda hard to lurk before posting when you can't see it while lurking.

Staff decision.  While CPMC is "open" to anyone, we would prefer it if Google and Co. didn't crawl it.  Plus we're not interested in participation in a "social" forum from people who aren't willing to register.

You can lurk just as well with a registered account, and registering is hilariously easy here.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »
Not worth my time and effort tbh.  I would have to completely redo the profile and group display system to allow multiple "primary" groups.

Thought so. Well it  was just a small stupid convenience, it wouldn't make sense  if to implement it is too hard.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 01:06:42 AM »
Is there any way to bring back collapsable [*code*] blocks? Posting large code blocks is making things hard to navigate and adding absurd amounts of vertical space, plus you hardly ever need to see so much code on the screen at one time.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 02:02:41 AM »
Is there any way to bring back collapsable [*code*] blocks? Posting large code blocks is making things hard to navigate and adding absurd amounts of vertical space, plus you hardly ever need to see so much code on the screen at one time.

I'll look into it, it's just some code/css.