~Bunbunmaru News~ > Front Page Headlines
The End of Shrinemaiden As We Know It
<< < (2/16) > >>
Edible:
Nope.  Any preservation will need to be on your end.
FinnKaenbyou:
Thanks for the warning. I've grabbed a copy of the DRK thread for safekeeping.

One relevant question - as far as I'm aware, TSO was also the owner of the IRC over on PPIRC. Some of us are still using the s-l channel to hang out. Do we know if anything's going to happen to that?
Edible:
PPIRC is owned/operated by others and will remain functional.
HTFCirno2000:
Ok. So the past 2 weeks I have actually been going through the Wayback Machine, and it turns out that this is not the first time something like this has happened to MoTK. There is a lot that i found, apparently the current iteration of shrinemaiden.org seems to go back to April of 2009.

A much better written account of the past than I could ever write.
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=8592.0

A completely condensed version of what I found in the Wayback Machine:
Originally, in April of 2004 was the first iteration of Maidens of the Kaleidoscope, made by someone named Katchura under the domain shrinemaiden.com. Sometime in either 2006 or 2007 the original site got hacked and the entire database was wiped clean so they had to remake the forum using Simple Machine Forums. Sometime later, shrinemaiden.com expired and the domain parker wanted an exorbitant amount of money for it, that was when shrinemaiden.org was made. Between then and 2009, i'm not entirely clear on the details but sometime around 2009, it was decided to upgrade the website from SMF 1 to SMF 2 so, they had to migrate over to the website we currently have now.

In conclusion, MoTK has this habit of resurrecting itself, like a phoenix. I'm not sure what the admins do actually have planned, but either way MoTK has had a long run, and this is it's longest iteration yet. Kinda a shame it had to happen like this tho  :(

One more thing: I do have this example of what MoTK looked like back in the far past of 2005:
Karisa:
MotK has a long history. I found myself looking into the history on archive.org a year ago, when the site was having its major errors and I thought it wasn't going to be renewed. I've come to consider this version of MotK from 2007 onward, by helvetica and Seventh Holy Scripture, to be MotK v2. It was long before my time, but it shows recreating the site as MotK v3 is doable, as inconvenient as this is. I've become more hopeful since hearing the news two weeks ago.

I wonder if anyone will be able to create a tool that arbitrary members could run to archive their PM inbox and sentbox, perhaps into text files? I've manually saved the HTML of mine, personally, but it was a little tedious to save, and even more so to look back at the archives.

Archiving posts feels like higher priority, though.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version