Author Topic: Avengers: Endgame - I feel REALLY good about this  (Read 22348 times)

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Avengers: Endgame - I feel REALLY good about this
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:42:46 AM »
So, with the movie's premiere coming really close, who else are hyping for it, its plot, and its post-credits scenes?

Spoiler:
Never mind that Spiderman: Far From Home's trailers have already revealed that Spiderman (and by extension Doctor Strange, Black Panther and the Guardians of the Galaxy) WILL come back from this one...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Avengers: Endgame - I feel REALLY good about this
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 03:31:11 AM »
I'm optimistic and looking forward to it, but I am a little concerned about some of the directions it could go. I've already said a lot about the "comic book-ifying" of the MCU that sort of started in Infinity War, and I can't stand the X-Men or especially the Fantastic Four as a general rule so I hope we can somehow avoid having to factor them into the next era of Marvel movies. I think there are a lot of ways Endgame could go wrong, but ultimately the whole MCU team has earned my trust so I figure it probably won't.

Honestly more than the movie itself I'm looking forward to seeing people's reactions to it. I don't watch sports, so there are very few things in my life that are universal experiences with most other people. Aside from like, the weather there's not much I can talk to my older coworkers about, but Marvel movies are a shared cultural experience and as long as people are excited about them then they're always fun. I have my tickets for the Sunday after release, so I'll definitely give my thoughts once I've seen it.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
So, with the movie's premiere coming really close, who else are hyping for it, its plot, and its post-credits scenes?

Spoiler:
Never mind that Spiderman: Far From Home's trailers have already revealed that Spiderman (and by extension Doctor Strange, Black Panther and the Guardians of the Galaxy) WILL come back from this one...

As I've seen said somewhere else:

It isn't the fallen you should be worried about, but those who survived the first movie.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Drake

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 12:41:30 AM »
Worthy of note in that regard is that a bunch of the bigger names
Spoiler:
have their contracts up for renewal and they haven't disclosed their plans yet

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
As I've seen said somewhere else:

It isn't the fallen you should be worried about, but those who survived the first movie.

I'm aware that most, if not all of the original Avengers won't make it past this movie.
I'm also aware that it is Sony's fault that Endgame's ending is (partially) spoiled by the release of Far From Home's trailers.

What I'm looking forward to is seeing what will happen to the Infinity Stones at the end of the movie. It's become clear that the Snap will be undone, and Thanos defeated. But the film's definitely going to give us a "What about them?" scene on the Stones, specifically if they still have any roles in Phase 4.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 09:22:40 PM »
What I'm looking forward to is seeing what will happen to the Infinity Stones at the end of the movie.

My wager: It's been shown they can break. I wager they're destroyed so this cannot repeat.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 02:27:27 AM »
Here's my Endgame ending theory:

-I think Thanos will be defeated and Tony Stark will be mortally wounded in the process.

-The gauntlet and gems will not be able to be destroyed, and Steve Rogers will become their guardian, residing somewhere in space or another dimension or something and keeping custody of the gauntlet in a similar role to the one Red Skull had in Infinity War.

-Tony will be pulled into the Soul Gem, either on purpose or by accident, and will live a facsimile of a happy life with Pepper inside of it.

That's just a wild guess, I don't really have anything to back it up aside from arguably thematic resonance, and the fact that it gets two of the actors who are the most likely to be leaving out of the way with the option to have them appear for cameos at any time or never be seen again as needed.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 05:18:41 AM »
Spoiler:
I really enjoyed it! Haven't seen the second Avengers, though I hear it was the worst anyway, but this is probably my favorite. Lots I liked about it, they cut back on a lot of the Marvel humor too, which was good. Pacing was good so it didn't feel long at all. Liked it lots. Really liked the trip down memory lane in the middle act, though I suppose some might not like it for time travel shenanigans being a cop out of sorts.

I assume they'll continue from alternate Loki timeline if they decide to continue with the series (which, apparently he's getting a tv show?).
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 10:14:59 PM »
I watched it yesterday and had some time to think.
Spoiler:
It was kind of middle-ground. Which, in MCU terms, means it was a really good movie. I kind of left with the feeling that they could have done so much more, though. I'm also sad that they spoiled Ant-Man 2 and I haven't watched that yet and loved Ant-Man aaaaaa

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 07:04:53 PM »
I liked it a lot. It's stupidly self-indulgent and way too long, but it pretty much totally comes together.
Spoiler:
And lately I've been finding myself getting an extra-perverse schadenfreude from dudes on Reddit or whatever complaining about the endings of movies that are thematically and emotionally satisfying and complete not making *logical and rational sense*. I call it "the Us effect".
:D

Spoiler:
I'm also sad that they spoiled Ant-Man 2 and I haven't watched that yet and loved Ant-Man aaaaaa

Wait, what? If you watch them out of order you kind of have to expect that...

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »
Wait, what? If you watch them out of order you kind of have to expect that...
I was on a tight schedule to marathon the entire MCU before Endgame and ended up having time to watch only one of Captain Marvel and Ant-Man 2. I chose Captain Marvel.  :3

Spoiler:
They were very methodical to spread callbacks to, like, every single MCU movie. I didn't expect Ant-Man 2 to be so plot-relevant, though.  :V
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:19:50 PM by BT »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »
I was on a tight schedule to marathon the entire MCU before Endgame and ended up having time to watch only one of Captain Marvel and Ant-Man 2. I chose Captain Marvel.  :3
You probobly chose the wrong one
Spoiler:
Given how you could more or less cut Marvel and replace what little she did with Thor [EG: Thor finds Stark in space; Thor uses lightning and weapons to smash Thanos' ship] and you'd still be fine. I put it down to a lot of the movie going against expectations. People expected Marvel to steal the show. IMO if anything she was the biggest let-down of the film.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:10:55 PM by Raikaria »

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 11:21:08 PM »
Spoiler:
Those madmen fucking did it. They took one of the most controversial moments in Marvel comics history and made it into a goddamn incredible joke. Like holy shit, I was both impressed and laughing my ass off when he said it.

Drake

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 12:41:29 AM »
You probobly chose the wrong one
Spoiler:
Given how you could more or less cut Marvel and replace what little she did with Thor [EG: Thor finds Stark in space; Thor uses lightning and weapons to smash Thanos' ship] and you'd still be fine. I put it down to a lot of the movie going against expectations. People expected Marvel to steal the show. IMO if anything she was the biggest let-down of the film.
I think this probably comes down to cut content. I imagine the movie was originally much, much longer and in order to tighten it up they cut down in that respect.
Spoiler:
But honestly I don't think they really established Thor would have had the power to do that, at least at this point in time

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 02:25:44 AM »
Spoiler:
People expected Marvel to steal the show.
Spoiler:
I have to wonder what the release schedule was planned to be for these movies. According to my friend, apparently this and Infinity War were filmed back to back. With how irrelevant Captain Marvel is in this movie, it almost feels like her small debut here was supposed to be a short teaser for her eventual full appearance in her own movie (kind of like Wonder Woman in Batman vs Superman?).
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 08:07:41 AM »
I think this probably comes down to cut content. I imagine the movie was originally much, much longer and in order to tighten it up they cut down in that respect.
Spoiler:
But honestly I don't think they really established Thor would have had the power to do that, at least at this point in time

Thor is able to virtually oneshot Thanos with all 6 Infinity Stones in Infinity War; with Stormbreaker.

Spoiler:
With both weapons, he could quite easily fly through the ship like Marvel. It's not like she did anything particularly special. There's also just calling lightning. That said; there is some eyebrow-raising power scaling and feats in the climax. Most notably Thanos throwing his weapon fast enough to catch up and overtake Marvel; with her also not apparently being able to even respond to it to stop it hitting home... and nothing getting in it's way on a chaotic battlefield. That moment almost had be call out 'yeah right' in the cinema. Unless we're seriously to believe Thanos can hurl something faster than what is essentially Marvel's Superman can fly and react... especially given he needed to use the Power Stone to even budge her.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:10:03 AM by Raikaria »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 01:00:38 PM »
Spoiler:
Those madmen fucking did it. They took one of the most controversial moments in Marvel comics history and made it into a goddamn incredible joke. Like holy shit, I was both impressed and laughing my ass off when he said it.
Okay, I give up. What moment are you talking about?

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 02:27:37 PM »
Spoiler:
"Hail HYDRA."
I know it might seem like I'm overreacting, but just the fact that they made a joke out of it made me rather giddy.

As for the movie as a whole, I can say that it was a satisfactory conclusion for the most part.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:31:36 PM by Leon゠Helsing »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 02:43:57 AM »
Quote from: friends on Discord
Going to see Endgame tonight.
Already spoiled myself on everything.
Aeris dies.
Ned Stark takes the Iron Throne.
Bruce Willis was a Christmas movie all along.
Snape kills Trinity with Rosebud
Lamont Cranston, wealthy man-about-town, is the Phantom
Darth Vader did not have the high ground
The planet of the apes is HAL 9000 the whole time.
Soylent green is really the friends we made along the way
Tyler Durden's head is in the box.

Seriously though enjoyed it a whole bunch.
Spoiler:
Time travel type plots
typically are tough to pull off well but it works well enough here. Great popcorn type movie. Lots of call backs and payoffs for anyone who's been along for any part of the journey. Kinda wondering just what's next but for now this was real satisfying.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 03:08:25 AM »
So I have a small theory that ultimately doesn't change anything if it's true, and maybe it's just supposed to be obvious and I'm dumb for thinking it's a theory, but I think
Spoiler:
Scott Lang was the variable factor that made this the winning timeline. I think he was supposed to be part of the half of the universe that died, and everything Dr Strange did was in service of making sure Thanos snapped during the very brief period where Scott was in the quantum realm and therefore outside of the reach of the gauntlet. So the scales are imbalanced because one more person lived than was supposed to, which is what allowed Thanos to be undone.

Drake

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 03:41:30 AM »
Spoiler:
I think that's pretty reasonable, but it would be that along with whatever other exact circumstances ended up happening. Strange telling Tony he couldn't give him the hint until it was time would imply that even after all the time travel there were failing outcomes.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 06:04:06 AM »
The best scenes of Endgame (and which previous movie they are referencing):
Spoiler:
Funniest: Captain America tricking Brock Rumlow and Jasper Sitwell with a fake "Hail HYDRA!" (Captain America: The Winter Soldier)
Awesome: Captain America lifting Mjollnir (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
Most Nostalgic: Star-Lord dancing to Redbone's "Come and Get Your Love" on Morag (Guardians of the Galaxy)
Most Unexpected: Pepper Potts joining the final battle as Rescue (Iron Man 3)
Saddest: Tony Stark dies (Avengers: Infinity War)

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 07:06:18 AM »
Avengers: Endgame nukes various box office records:

Largest Thursday Previews: $60 million
Widest Opening: 4,662 theaters
Largest Friday, Opening Day and Single Day: $156.7 million
Largest Saturday: $109 million
Largest Sunday: $84.3 million
Domestic Opening Weekend: $357.1 million
#1 Movie Market Share: 90%
Highest Per Theater Average (Wide Opening): $75,075 / 4,662 theaters
Largest April Opening, Spring Opening, PG-13 Opening and 3-Day Gross: $357.1 million
Biggest Weekend Overall (Top 12 Gross): $389 million
Fastest to $100 Million: 1 Day
Fastest to $150 Million: 1 Day
Fastest to $200 Million: 2 Days
Fastest to $250 Million: 3 Days
Fastest to $300 Million: 3 Days
Fastest to $350 Million: 3 Days
International Opening Weekend: $859 million
Worldwide Opening Weekend: $1.2 billion
Global 4DX Format Opening Record: ~$15 million / 635 screens
Global 3D Opening Record: ~$540 million
Global IMAX Opening Record: $91.5 million
Source: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4507&p=.htm

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »
Everyone's talking about this movie. Maybe i should suck up to the peer pressure and just watch it already. Hmm... :s

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 11:48:46 PM »
Everyone's talking about this movie. Maybe i should suck up to the peer pressure and just watch it already. Hmm... :s
If youve been along for the ride so far, you probably should.  The past eleven years have been building to this so it's time to reap the payoff.

If you're not invested in the series I think you'd be fine missing it though, as it really wants you to be hooked on the franchise IMO.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!