Author Topic: Fate/Grand Order - Round 3  (Read 208645 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Fate/Grand Order - Round 3
« Reply #510 on: August 30, 2019, 02:37:39 PM »
Somehow Amadeus always ends up being the one delivering the finishing blow in challenge quests. At least when I can attempt them, which isn't always.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #511 on: August 30, 2019, 11:02:57 PM »
Gee, I sure picked a fine time to press the screenshot button, huh?

(Not) Pictured: Sumanai completely nuking the Scathach+Cu CQ all at once. He will need George's support to deal enough to kill Scath, but Cu can be taken down by facecards after.

Ideally I was going to use a command seal and have George turn both of them into dragons, but their evade spamming would not cooperate and this was the only opportunity I got, so I took it.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #512 on: August 31, 2019, 04:57:50 AM »
Wow, I'm surprised they didn't ban Sherlock on the Siegfried CQ. He pretty much made the CQ gimmick completely pointless with my NP3 Squirtoria nuking Big Sieggy faster than he could say sumanai. :V
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:00:21 AM by Leon゠Helsing »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #513 on: August 31, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »
(Not) Pictured: Sumanai completely nuking the Scathach+Cu CQ all at once. He will need George's support to deal enough to kill Scath, but Cu can be taken down by facecards after.
I still remember that video using sumanai to annihilate the two Lancers in one shot.

Wow, I'm surprised they didn't ban Sherlock on the Siegfried CQ. He pretty much made the CQ gimmick completely pointless with my NP3 Squirtoria nuking Big Sieggy faster than he could say sumanai. :V
I mean, the entire point of having the rerun CQs is to show just how more powerful you are than last year (and then, how much more powerful this year's CQs are). I'm kind of dreading facing down King Gil again, though...

In other CQ news, I nearly beat Medb (like, she was last alive and with 3 digit health) even though I forgot nearly all of her gimmicks thanks to Kiara, though apparently sassy Shiki can tear straight through her as long as you burn the Arts defense first. (EDIT: And yeah, the rematch went much easier thanks to putting Shiki and Mash up with Kiara instead of Waver and Medea Lily.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:34:03 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #514 on: August 31, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »
My 5* drought continues, but I did land a shiny new 4* Umu and a Fionn.

My recent acquisitions of Umu and Saberlot also makes my free 4* choice easy; it will be Gorgon.

« Reply #515 on: September 01, 2019, 01:20:40 AM »
Gee, I sure picked a fine time to press the screenshot button, huh?

Ideally I was going to use a command seal and have George turn both of them into dragons, but their evade spamming would not cooperate and this was the only opportunity I got, so I took it.

Not the best screenshot, but laughs in double merlin and lancer mama.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #516 on: September 02, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »
Now that I remember...  At least we didn't have that MONSTER of a maintenance period like we did last year.  I think the shear number of golden apples I still have was because of that.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #517 on: September 02, 2019, 10:02:26 AM »
Now that I remember...  At least we didn't have that MONSTER of a maintenance period like we did last year.  I think the shear number of golden apples I still have was because of that.
21 hour maintenance. A ton of people lost their streaks to it, because it finally got back on like two hours before refresh.

In CQ news, my Alter Egos are mopping up quite nicely. Kiara gets to throw a ton of stuff up her womb (including most of the Grand Final crowd), and Meltryllis gets to monster mash up the single targets. It's kind of too bad next CQ is a Saber with gimmicks out the wazoo.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #518 on: September 02, 2019, 01:13:40 PM »
Welp, Spartacus CQ turned out to be a somewhat straightforward nukefest despite his gimmicks, good thing Scathach is a Quick/Buster Hybrid Servant that can work pretty well with Merlin. Also, his ticket yielded me NP5 Umu so :toot:

Unfortunately, next is Suzuka... *shudder*

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #519 on: September 02, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »
So... how does the Hassan fight work? Specifically, how does the revenge mechanic on the named Hassans work? It's a debuff, but it seems to go through debuff immunity. Passionlip still immediately dies to it even when she has Breast Valley active. And it seems to ignore or severely mitigate death resistance, since I've had BB die to it three times now. Am I missing something? Or just getting incredibly unlucky?

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #520 on: September 02, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »
I dunno how it works specifically, it might be a special death effect. Anyway, the easiest way to deal with it would be to bring Medea without the damage boost CE on her since her NP can remove buffs and the damage is low enough that she can avoid tripping it since the buff removal is applied after the damage.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #521 on: September 02, 2019, 05:39:09 PM »
Guts servants are the go-to for the Hassan army. Nitocris with the Guts + Damage Boost event CE is a particular godsend for that challenge. Caster Lizard is another Guts-ability Caster, but you might've come in too late to get her.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #522 on: September 03, 2019, 03:06:26 AM »
As for how their death works, death is not technically classified as a debuff so it can't be stopped with debuff immunity. It's in its own category, similar to NP charge not being considered a buff. Their death also seems to have an absurdly high success rate (probably in the high hundreds or maybe 1000%) so you basically have to eat it with guts, or remove it from the Hassans before they die.

You can also take an Amakusa with the event CE, his NP is strong enough now with his strengthening stuff to kill a full wave of Hassans and also removes their kill-me-kill-you before dealing damage, so it prevents him from dying to it.

Personally my team was CasNero, Amakusa, and FriendMerlin -- but Nero can be just literally anyone (some caster or A-E for class advantage preferably) and Merlin can even be Hans, I only needed his healing.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:10:09 AM by Rei Scarlette »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #523 on: September 03, 2019, 04:26:21 AM »
I get that death isn't normally a debuff, but the revenge death from the named Hassans does appear to be in this case, and if things like Medea's NP can remove it then it seems like it acts like one... except that characters who are immune to debuffs still receive it. I don't believe they receive it visibly either, I thought Passionlip could get around it at first because the icon didn't appear next to all of her buffs, but she still got dropped down to guts immediately. I can appreciate a hard battle that's like a puzzle you have to solve, but if the solution to the puzzle isn't based on the mechanics working in a predictable way then it sort of feels less fair.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #524 on: September 03, 2019, 05:57:47 AM »
Ah, I get where the confusion is coming from now. It's not that the instant death is a weird debuff, it's just that the Hassans buff themselves when they show up with the ability to inflict death upon being killed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:00:26 AM by Leon゠Helsing »

« Reply #525 on: September 03, 2019, 06:28:05 AM »
Yeah my bad, I should have clarified that -- it's an actual buff on the Hassan with the effect of "apply death to whoever kills you". The intended method is to use Buff Removal rather than Debuff Negation that way the Hassans can't trigger the revenge death anymore. It seems a bit wonky, but if you watch carefully in the fight it's the Hassan that receives an effect on their status bar when they come out rather than your own servants.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #526 on: September 03, 2019, 07:55:36 AM »
I... guess that sort of makes sense, but then why does triggering the effect give you a little clock icon on your character? Is that not a debuff? What is a debuff if not an effect an opposing character visibly applies to you that has a negative effect?

The language surrounding this specific battle seems weirdly confusing in a way that I don't expect from FGO normally. "I shouldn't die because I have a high death resist, right? No, you still usually die because I have even higher death resist resist. Okay, then I won't die if I resist the ability you give me that kills me, right? No, you still die because it's an ability that I give myself that gives me the ability to give you an ability therefore resistance to being given it does nothing."

Am I being crazy here? I guess must be because nobody else seems confused by this, but it doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand how I'm supposed to figure out the mechanics of the fight through trial and error because none of the results seem to match the way the game normally works. I dunno.

Edit: As soon as I saw he was available again Remilia's Amakusa Shirou got me through the fight relatively unscathed, but I still don't really understand it. (Surprised gramps was not there at the end.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:26:56 AM by commandercool »

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #527 on: September 03, 2019, 08:32:14 AM »
Oh, so that's what's going on. I don't know for sure since I never tripped it myself, but it looks like that the Hassans apply a HP to 0 (not "instant death" as I suspected) effect on you as a buff to get around debuff blocking. It's a bit of an annoying mechanic that almost seems like cheating by the game itself, I'll say that much. You'll see this kind of rules-lawyering shenanigan again when SS Okita shows up with one of her skills applying defense down on her as a buff.

« Reply #528 on: September 03, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
It's definitely a pretty weird and probably a bit scummy tactic by the game I'd say. The quest goes against your typical logical ways of avoiding death and forces you to play specifically by the "remove this buff or just get killed" rules.

The problem is also compounded by a distinction that isn't ever explained and kind of just exists. Some things are an attempt to inflict death with X% chance, like most instant-kill NPs, and some things just kill you, like Arash or Chen Gong's NPs, or Anra's timed self-death on his third skill. Chen Gong can even use his NP to sacrifice Gramps who has Death Immunity passive. Specific demon pillars can also absorb a servant which is also Just Death. The clock icon sounds like the same icon I see when the demon pillars do that. Up until you mentioned the clock icon I actually also thought the Hassans were regular death just with an insane rate, but apparently not?

Even if you know about that distinction the Hassan Parade is a bit of a little mess because you don't know what kind of death it's going to give you. And the player is never given any information that death can't be Debuff Immune'd, or that against all logic, death resistance doesn't help to cancel forced death. As far as I'm aware, the demon pillars and now the Hassan Parade are the only enemy-casted sources of forced death that I'm aware of. Anything else that comes to mind is normal and resistance plays into it as expected.

Anyway, just for reference that may help in a few days when it becomes available, the challenge quest that is actually against Gramps DOES work under ordinary death mechanics, he just has a strong rate of death, so BB is particularly very useful *there* for sure.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:46:20 AM by Rei Scarlette »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #529 on: September 03, 2019, 10:12:58 AM »
Technically STELLA has a chance of Instant Death - it's just a 500% ID chance, so that someone doesn't come up with a pile of Death Resist buffs and make it so that he doesn't get killed.

(The First Hassan doesn't show up in the parade because the previous NeroFES happened before Babylonia released.)

Suzuka was kind of sad, compared to SPARTACUS. I don't think she even tried to use her Sure Hit once, and Chloe whipped her down with Jeanne. As long as you get the timings right (or just bring Daishouri to instantly pierce all of her protections first turn), the only real threat is the constant Taunting.

Move eternally forward,

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #530 on: September 03, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »
Anyway, just for reference that may help in a few days when it becomes available, the challenge quest that is actually against Gramps DOES work under ordinary death mechanics, he just has a strong rate of death, so BB is particularly very useful *there* for sure.
Do also note that he targets your front-most Servant first and foremost, so be sure to plop either BB or Gramps himself there since he's immune to standard instant death.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 11:13:32 AM by Leon゠Helsing »

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #531 on: September 03, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »
Suzuka was kind of sad, compared to SPARTACUS. I don't think she even tried to use her Sure Hit once, and Chloe whipped her down with Jeanne. As long as you get the timings right (or just bring Daishouri to instantly pierce all of her protections first turn), the only real threat is the constant Taunting.

This is a relief to hear, I was looking at the description for Suzuka's battle and sweating with no clue what to do. I always forget that other people have Jeanne even though I don't >_> I'll probably give her a whirl tonight.

I'll also admit the Grand Finale revival has me stumped, as much as I've only thrown myself at it once. Way too many death-activated party-wide buffs for someone that only reasonably has Jack and maybe Shuten to deal with them. I suppose I could try borrowing an Amakusa...

Everything else has been manageable, with only Seigfried taking me more than two tries (though I panicked against Gilgamesh and used a command seal to make absolutely sure he died before Bad Things happened).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:58:58 PM by Suwako Moriya »
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #532 on: September 03, 2019, 08:53:46 PM »
I'm sure this is a surprise to nobody, but Enkidu completely goofs up the Gilgamesh challenge. If anyone needs me to put the lottery CE on mine let me know.

« Reply #533 on: September 03, 2019, 09:21:59 PM »
Re:Finale, I used Amakusa as my damage dealer there too. He is pretty great here too because he laughs at Imperial Privilege spammers, and with the damage CE he's in that sweet spot where he's strong enough to wreck some shit on whoever you need to take down, while also being weak enough to not accidentally OHKO Medea and Lalter with his NP.

You wanna leave Lalter alive or else everyone turns into NP spamming monsters, and Medea so they don't turn into brick walls. Jack's on-death buff is just lol so she's fine to take out first. If you luck out with a brave chain Amakusa can just facecard her down on turn one. Next you need to kill enemy Amakusa ASAP for his Max HP Down skill that he spams, I would waste stuns on him if needed just to stop him from doing that.

Ozy comes out next and since he is likely spamming defensive buffs I'd just shut him down with an NP to wipe it all away. Before that though, if Lalter is about to NP I would suggest waiting so that you can no-sell it with David or Tristan's partywide evasion, once Ozy is dead everyone will have sure-hit so you are limited to either using Merlin or killing her to prevent her next NP.

After he goes down Nero comes out and you wanna focus her down while still not killing Lalter or Medea as long as possible. When you're about to get smacked by a Rhongomyniad just nuke everyone at once. You should be left with only a super-buff Nero but, RNG willing, Amakusa can solo her the rest of the way on his own without any outside help. You just don't want him to eat multiple turns of full-crits and you're fine.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #534 on: September 04, 2019, 03:40:03 AM »
Refreshing constantly refused to net me a friend's Amakusa so I ended up clearing the Grand Final Revival with a support Jeanne instead. Had to Command Heal my Jalter twice, but so it goes. (She ended up dying anyway, and was my only Servant to do so despite Stheno being next in line and Medea lasting the longest.)

Suzuka, on the other hand...
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #535 on: September 04, 2019, 10:16:42 AM »
I mentioned it before, but Kiara is excellent for much of the Grand Finale - though you absolutely need some sort of secondary DPS to pull through. Class advantage against literally everyone but LAlter and Nero because of Nega-Savior giving her advantage against Amakusa, neutral damage against the entire enemy party, 50% NP battery on demand, -1 Charge on demand, invuln on demand, self-sustain with her AoE(!) NP...

STELLA was refreshingly fun. No fancy damage tactics, just outlast him. You don't even need the damage booster CE (though it does have Guts!), and Mash can handily solo the entire thing! (I'm kind of tempted to bring in a Summer Tamamo at least once to see how easy it would be if I forced his NP to charge faster...)

(If you want, I currently have an Irisviel in my Caster slot with a Prisma Cosmos, and Kiara in my All slot with Three-Legged Race!)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:21:06 AM by Ionasal kkll Solciel »

Move eternally forward,

« Reply #536 on: September 05, 2019, 02:49:56 AM »
Karna + Arjuna challenge quest up now -- I'd say it's not as difficult as some previous ones but the gimmicks can still be rough if you don't have the right team for it. If push comes to shove, Enkidu can solo it if the RNG is willing. I say RNG mainly because Arjuna does have instant death on his NP, and you can afford one death because of Guts and Enkidu's massive self-heal, but you cannot afford two deaths.

His chance of instant death is still actually quite low even though he gets a death rate buff here, but it spikes up a lot higher against divine servants. (of which Enkidu is not)

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #537 on: September 06, 2019, 12:55:54 AM »
Da Vinci's CQ is up.

I went in blind, and slew her as soon as possible with Kiara.

this was a missssstttttttttaaaaakkkkkeeee

Move eternally forward,

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #538 on: September 06, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »
You could've probably salvaged the run with Ignore Defense, but you most likely didn't bring Sherlock, did you?

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #539 on: September 06, 2019, 01:08:38 AM »
I mean, there's no real winning the fight in the first place if you're using Kiara as the primary DPS and didn't bring a Knight Class, Berserker or non Alter Ego-Extra Class secondary. There's only so much the nun can do, even considering her NP has Ignore Invuln, Ignore Defence, and heals; when dealing only half damage to four of the enemies, and one of them is a Spriggan.

Move eternally forward,