Author Topic: [MWO] "Center Torso, critical damage." - MechWarrior Online Thread  (Read 11690 times)

Kappa

• LV. 4 Guze Cannon

Any Maidens at all play MWO around here?  Other than needing a Cray supercomputer to run it at 60FPS with max settings, you have no excuse not to, I mean it's like all the lasers and bullets of Touhou but with more robots and whatnot  :V

Quick rundown, for those unfamiliar: it's a mech sim in the MechWarrior series (so any prior experience will carry over to this).  You pilot a BattleMech several stories tall and fight alongside a team of pilots in 12v12 battles to earn C-Bills and XP which you can spend to upgrade and purchase new 'Mechs.  You are given several Trial 'Mechs to use before you own your first 'Mech for real: you can freely use them, but cannot customize them.  Use them to get a feel for what style of 'Mech you'll invest your Cadet Bonus in - that's several million bonus C-Bills awarded over your first 25 matches only.  You can opt for a cheap and speedy but very fragile Light scout 'Mech, all the way up to a lumbering 100-ton Assault-class loaded to the brim with firepower, or something in between.  Additionally, there's the debate of Inner Sphere vs. Clan, whereby Clan 'Mechs are somewhat less customizable and super pricey, but you can swap out entire body parts for versions from other 'Mech variants and they're also overpowered generally more powerful on a per-weapon basis.
Oh yeah, and the Cash Shop is expensive as fuq, but 99% of the stuff you ought to give a damn about can be acquired without it.  It's the Warframe effect, save your MC for slots.

In game, the controls reflect the feel of piloting something that weighs several tons, insofar as you need to build up speed, and you can't just WASD around the place.  You control your torso and legs separately, with WS changing your speed, AD turning your legs, and the mouse twisting your torso.  It's weird at first, basically.  Every component of a 'Mech is damaged independently, and destroying one has unique consequences on a per-part basis.  Does somebody have an arm covered in Autocannons (just like my Battlemaster)?  Blow it off and disable all those weapon systems.  Is a Light running circles on you?  Land a good shot on their legs to cripple their mobility.  And when all else fails, just go for the kill shot and pummel the heavily-armored Center Torso.  Blowing that kills the engine and disables the whole 'Mech.  Or you could go stealth and hit their Torso from behind, where there's much less armor!  Of course, everyone else can do all of this TO YOU, so watch your back.  And sides.  And everywhere.  And DON'T USE 3rd-person mode, turn it off in Settings.  (Seriously, it puts a floating drone behind your 'Mech that betrays your position.)

Additionally, I made a Unit, the 10th Kappa Elites, when the Faction Units feature was first released (consisting entirely of me, myself, and I) mainly so I could claim the clan tag [K].  Cuz single-character tags are cool and rare or something.  Wouldn't you know, that name I made up because I figured it would never be relevant is now... completely relevant.  And now that premade groups are super important for Community Warfare - the new persistent "war" mode they've added - having people for a 4-man or 12-man drop is for more than just dominating pugs.  Not that that isn't still a thing.

Add me if you actually happen to play the game and want to drop with me, or if this crappy post managed to convince you to install it, or even if you want to join my Unit just to have a short Unit tag.  IGN is Kappatalist, leave yours in a post or PM.

And it was at this point that Kappa realized he had no clue how to write these Genji's Battle Arena advertisement things.
Modern Touhou Accomplishments || TD Normal 1CC | DDC Normal 1CC (poorly) | DDC Extra Clear

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: [MWO] "Center Torso, critical damage." - MechWarrior Online Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
In game, the controls reflect the feel of piloting something that weighs several tons, insofar as you need to build up speed, and you can't just WASD around the place la la la
That actually sounded like a World-of-Tanks-like game. Even its downsides seem alike - greed for hardware (which is a very bad thing on my netbook that can't even run TF2 and HM decently), exp grinding (playing ~200 matches x ~10 minutes each on a single tank is actually painfully boring if not just painful) and random teams (which usually consist of n00bs, retards, you and your opponents).
Oops I accidentally made a counter-ad.
Then I'll say that what was really fun in WoT are platoon and stronghold battles. When your team starts to have good players, playing becomes fun, like what games are usually supposed to be.
Now, what am I doing in this thread?

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Kappa

• LV. 4 Guze Cannon
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:44:20 PM »
That actually sounded like a World-of-Tanks-like game. Even its downsides seem alike - greed for hardware (which is a very bad thing on my netbook that can't even run TF2 and HM decently), exp grinding (playing ~200 matches x ~10 minutes each on a single tank is actually painfully boring if not just painful) and random teams (which usually consist of n00bs, retards, you and your opponents).
Oops I accidentally made a counter-ad.
Then I'll say that what was really fun in WoT are platoon and stronghold battles. When your team starts to have good players, playing becomes fun, like what games are usually supposed to be.
Now, what am I doing in this thread?
Yknow it is kinda WoT-like, although I haven't played much WoT I know people who play it a LOT.
Also yes, this game is fun with a good team and... less fun with a bad one.  But people who queue together are guaranteed to be on the same team, naturally.
Modern Touhou Accomplishments || TD Normal 1CC | DDC Normal 1CC (poorly) | DDC Extra Clear

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »
Almost two years since the last post and the game's gone through a lot of changes with Faction play, lots of new mechs and the meta getting also sorts of funky.

But we are now on the edge of a new Era.  The tech level is jumping from Clan Invasion to FedCom Civil War so it means lots of new weapons and toys to play around with.  Stuff that would be familiar to MW4 Vets which wasn't in the game already.

Then after that we have the skill system rework.  This is gonna just be like "See this meta? DROPPING A NUKE!" and boom as mech quirks are going to be gone and built up on a mech by mech basis on your liking. 

Long longer will the built in quirks have heavy influence on builds and the general meta of mechs (although a good number of mechs will still be kinda trash due to hardpoint considerations and locations)

Also Bushwacker for C-Bills soon.  Old Buddy's coming back baby.
-Witch Marisa of the 09th Chirieden
This Space For Rent