Author Topic: Post Your Artwork Thread V6  (Read 307869 times)

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
Re: Post Your Artwork Thread V6
« Reply #540 on: June 01, 2015, 04:06:59 AM »
Adorable Patriot, more like : >

Worked in some Reimu fanart into my training regimen. Opinions?

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #541 on: June 01, 2015, 07:58:29 PM »
Worked in some Reimu fanart into my training regimen. Opinions?
Since I'm assuming you would appreciate the technical comments, I'll do just that.
First of all, does this picture look... right, to you? Maybe it's just my preconception of Reimu as being a young girl that having her look so big is jarring. What's immediate jarring to me is the shoulders, they seem very wide. If I cover the head with my hands, it doesn't look as bad, so maybe it is my bias. The 'standard idealized adult female' proportions suggests 2 head lengths for the width of the shoulders. Here you seem to have 2 heads + 1/3 or so. Try reducing it by that bit. The vertical proportions look good.
When people face the extreme right or left, the sternocleidomastoid muscle becomes very prominent (the one connecting the chest bone/collar bone to behind the ear). Not as exaggerated in some as in others, but it's something to keep in mind. Reimu seems to be craning her neck forward sideways. If you try it, you'll see that the neck can only bend (a lot) forwards, not in the direction you're facing. So keep the neck upright. Then try to tilt your head up while keep exactly a profile view. Very hard to do, isn't it? You would either need to twist your upper body, or tilt your head back to look up like that.
Both her hands look quite uncomfortable. Especially her right hand. Try gripping your hip like that--for me it slides right off. I have to keep it there by using my arm muscles instead of having it rest there.
So you have this nice S-curve, flowy sort of motion going on for her upper body. Until you hit the legs. They seem to hang there, losing the flowiness in the process. Also, try standing like that, with the legs pointed so awkwardly to the right like that. Uncomfortable isn't it? Also keep in mind when fixing the legs that both legs are not getting an even distribution of weight here. She's supporting her weight on her right leg. People like to prop up their hands on their hips on the side of the body/leg supporting the weight. Try to convey that.
The last thing I can mention is the disconnect between the anime face and the very realistic body proportions everywhere else. Since your goal is to draw from 'the basics', try avoiding simplifying just the one part before you know what to do with the rest of the body to have a whole, unified appearance. Try drawing the face less anime-y exaggerated. Maybe more comic-y. Or just simplified actual face-y. Because anime heads like to have bigger heads in proportion to the body.
Last last tidbit my friend noticed. Where are the sleeves attached? Right now the right sleeve looks like it's attached somewhere behind her, but all along the side of her shirt.
That's all I have to say. Goodluck
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Teewee

« Reply #542 on: June 02, 2015, 04:10:44 AM »
Thanks for the feedback :) Yeah, my pictures also never look right to me, especially when I cant put my finger on what's wrong. But that's why people generally ask for opinions and such, right? :p Though it sucks that posemanics doesnt have adolescent pose references. Just standard adult and child proportions :/

Didn't realize I drew the shoulders that wide. Looking at the ref I used, I see I mispercieved the shoulder width (at last of her right shoulder; her left was obscured by the garment in motion). As for everything else, I think I more-or-less get it, since most of the problems with the figure itself are from me not understanding the reference well enough.  If I made the eye

As for the sleeves, I meant to draw them connected to the top; instead of the more canonical Detached Sleeves look. The ref pic for reimu I had had them that way, so I decided to follow that rendition choice.

Might as well add my own self-critique I did earlier.

- The wind blowing on her right arm-thing should have made the apparent hole more oval-shapes, leaning towards the direction the wind was blowing.
- The hair needs more detailing.
-- Specifically, with strands behind the ones you see in the result, but darkened out so as to make it look as voluminous as it should.
- I'm not feeling too bad about this mistake, but the position of her left hand looks off.
-- Since I tried replicating that position in front of the mirror, that hand position is really impractical to begin with...unless my perception fooled me again.
- Her right foot is too wide, hence the relative lack of space between her feet (as opposed to how they were in the ref)
-- Toes on her left foot are a bit too short
-- Too many of the toes on her right foot are showing. I should zoom in more when adding the toes
-- Ankle of the right foot is too rounded, ankle of the left took up too much space on the foot
- Torso slightly too short.
- I dunno how to fix this, but I know the way I drew her top as pulled by the wind looks off.
-- Mostly in terms of how her breasts would look with one side of the top clinging to her right breast, but her left one being obscured as that side of the top is being blown by the wind.
The calf on her left leg is too angular
- Toe shapes slightly off, the toes on her right foot not leaning on ground like they should.
- Some of the folds on the skirt are a bit haphazard; I should have angled those folds so as to fit the direction that the fabric was flowing (as per the aforementioned wind-blowing).
-- At least the fold that came from pushing on her thigh looks okay.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #543 on: June 02, 2015, 06:35:55 AM »

She never was damaged even once during her battle career, just like the real George Washington.

Roughly Pacific-inspired sketch. Any opinions?

Teewee

« Reply #544 on: June 02, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »
Looks great to me :) Could use some clothing folds, cleaner lines and a more detailed BG, but besides that I'd say it's very well-done!

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #545 on: June 02, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »
I like the face, but on the left edge (our left), try raising the little indent to the eye level, and then round out the forehead a little more. The latter might make it more cuter. Not saying that it isn't already.

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #546 on: June 06, 2015, 03:22:38 AM »

USS Monitor

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #547 on: June 06, 2015, 03:54:42 AM »
Gigil (Ghee-gill), Filipino, n.: the irresistible urge to pinch or squeeze something or someone that is unbearably cute.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Plastic Vortex

• Girl is ranking up
  • Please wait warmly
« Reply #548 on: June 07, 2015, 07:36:48 AM »
Suddenly, a Koish.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #549 on: June 11, 2015, 02:40:51 AM »
Oboro. I'm really excited for the new Fire Emblem.

E: Random character design.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:32:40 PM by KrackoCloud »

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #550 on: June 15, 2015, 09:07:18 PM »

KrackoCloud

« Reply #551 on: June 15, 2015, 09:26:04 PM »
Ah, thanks :U

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #552 on: June 16, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »

I am really, really fond of fashion from this time period.

This character came to me in a dream, oddly enough.

KrackoCloud

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:56:29 PM by KrackoCloud »

« Reply #554 on: June 25, 2015, 01:32:30 AM »
A picture of Reisen that I drew a while back
I drew this while being in hype mode for the LoLK demo release.

pineyappled

« Reply #555 on: June 25, 2015, 02:41:53 AM »
Cute! Her hair's just a tad bright IMO

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #556 on: June 30, 2015, 02:05:51 AM »

That's Benedict Arnold in the lower right corner. :V

Keiti

• つま先鍬
  • expand dong
« Reply #557 on: July 03, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »

I drew Reisen.
It's really messy oops.

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #558 on: July 04, 2015, 02:46:14 AM »
It would look better if her thighs were smaller in my opinion.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #559 on: July 04, 2015, 06:27:41 AM »
I drew Reisen.
It's really messy oops.
First art post? Welcome if so! Not seeing any of the bad you might be seeing. Pretty cute. Neck looks like a stake impaling the head though.

Keiti

• つま先鍬
  • expand dong
« Reply #560 on: July 04, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »
Thanks!
Does the neck look better in this one?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #561 on: July 04, 2015, 11:45:03 AM »
Lovely sketches! Wish I were more of a digital magician like people here, tablet-icians and all.
Hmm, Suika's neck. It helps that it's not as long and perfectly straight and parallel anymore. Makes it not look like a cylindrical tree trunk.
A problem may be that the torso, neck, and head appear too separated as distinct objects. The torso as a square, the neck as a cylinder (or rectangle) and the head as a head. Like stacking a daruma.
Back to the neck, an actual neck doesn't curve inward like that--in an hourglass-like shape. If anything, it's more or less straight, shoots straight down. What gives the neck/shoulder area the curve is the trapezius muscle. It resembles more of a hyperbolic curve (in non-muscular people), starting from an area just below the ears outwards towards the shoulders (this is in a front view). It's important to note that the trapezius muscle covers only the back side of the neck/shoulder area. A simple gross exaggeration to help imagine this would be to think of the neck as a cylinder shooting down to the collar bones, then drawing a concave triangle behind the neck starting from the top of the neck (I can't say 'just below the ears', because anime necks are really skinny) to the point on top of the shoulders just before it starts curving down.

Teewee

« Reply #562 on: July 05, 2015, 09:52:14 PM »
Both that Reisen and Suika look nice to me, Keiti! Though the cleanliness of your linework does leave some to be desired.

I drew an Ike. Pretty satisfied with it :)

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #563 on: July 11, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

A little something I've been working on in Photoshop. ;P

« Reply #564 on: July 12, 2015, 04:24:39 AM »
I don't think you should put the Team Shanghai Alice stamp in the top right corner, because your project (game? music album? something else?) isn't actually made by Team Shanghai Alice.

Other than that, it looks interesting and great. I wonder what the Japanese title says.

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #565 on: July 20, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
"Mrs. Robinson"

ZUN-esque style work in progress.

Teewee

« Reply #566 on: July 24, 2015, 08:47:51 PM »
Looks great so far! What really catches my attention is the hair and hand; I like them :)

Drew a Letty. Any feedback or opinions?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:35:31 AM by Chocolate Lemon »

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #567 on: July 29, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
Drew a Letty. Any feedback or opinions?

The body shape looks very good there, but I personally think her eyes should be higher up on her face and more aligned with it as well. Just my two cents.

On an unrelated note, I drew a Mokou. I'd like some feedback on this too. :'V

« Reply #568 on: July 29, 2015, 10:05:59 PM »
On an unrelated note, I drew a Mokou. I'd like some feedback on this too. :'V

Is that a Minion? :o

Good drawing, though. The expression and the hands are very well drawn, and I like the phoenix in the background.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #569 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
It's from the new Pixar movie.