Author Topic: Touhou in the Family  (Read 23237 times)

Luneth

• Down down, a clip round you, fall in drops, set a trap
  • Down down, a clip round you, get the trick of it.
    • I live here.
Re: Touhou in the Family
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2010, 04:49:49 AM »
He watched me play Extra before all this though.
"Where are you supposed to be watching?
-The area around that dot on your character, there.
Oh. I was looking at the whole screen and it was giving me a headache."
(Newb non double-quoting)
Same heree. My mom knew I loved a game/stuff called Touhou, but after a while I found out she'd never really seen the gameplay. So just for fun I went to PCB/Extra Mode, expecting to die decently fast considering I don't usually focus well with others watching. I ended up getting past Ran's spellcard at the start where you move about a millimeter every second, then continued on doing spellcards I'd never even seen, doubling my highscore. (Did I mention it was exactly my 200th try?) Lucky me? o_O
Afterwords, she told me all the moving patterns were giving her a headache. :o Then there's that one video "Why Touhou should have a super-easy mode" or something... He died watching two giant fireballs on Easy and didn't notice a smaller bullet hit him.

So, I guess it's official then? The number one cause of failure in new players is them trying to watch the whole screen and not their character. =P

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2010, 05:40:37 AM »
What's up Baity? Aren't you glad I introduced you to Touhou?
:shhhh:
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
The most I've ever told my mom about Touhou was this year's Cirno Day, when I tried to explain who she is and where the ⑨ thing came from. The only part she liked was when I showed her this thing.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »
Uhhh. Watching your hitox instead of the screen is bad, not good. Granted watching the patterns aesthetically is bad, bur you want to view as much as you can handle while reading all the trajectories... Some microfiche cards make me focus on the dot though, sanae is a good example. Watching your dot on vowg or something is very bad though.

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Hmm... i wonder if i should upload that video of one of my friends facing off against Maniac Mode Larsa on Mushi Futari. Its not Touhou but the dude does know about Touhou. I have explained "the rules of the game to him". We decided that he needed to play a shmup.

Let's just say that he died. A lot. Maybe i should have him play Fairy Wars, remap the C button to A and refrain from telling him about freezing.  :V

Where are you supposed to be watching?

Yeah. That's where you're supposed to say "I take in the enitre screen at a time!".

My mom just knows it as "the game where I die a lot." :fail:

I can totally relate to that. I have had times where my parents would tell me to calm down.   :)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
I told him that so he wouldn't hurt his head.
I'm much smarter than he is and can handle looking at the barrage of pretty death tenfold what he can :smug:

Drake

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
So in other words I'm much much smarter than he is and can handle looking at the barrage of pretty death hundredfold what he can.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 10:52:53 PM »
Copypaste from YKYAtTW:
At my friend's house, there's this wall-hanging thing that says "SPRING!"

When I'm over there, every time I see it I want to put a picture of Lily White above it.

One time I did tell him I knew something that would go perfectly above it, but I didn't elaborate further.

Also, this thread gave me an idea: How do you think ZUN's family feels about Touhou?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 11:51:41 PM »
So in other words I'm much much smarter than he is and can handle looking at the barrage of pretty death hundredfold what he can.

Yes.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2010, 01:09:29 AM »
I once showed some of my replays to my mother and she was like: Ewww what is with those little balls floating around the screen? (the danmaku) And why don't you play something easier like Mario?

Haha, She didn't like the game, but she says the girls are cute. Specially Youmu and Reimu.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2010, 01:18:26 AM »
That reminds me.
I drew Koishi's Rosharch in Danmaku and showed it to a friend and she's all

:/ What's with the balls?
:fail: Those are bullets. She shoots them at you.
:O I don't want to draw those balls.
>:(
(Loudly) YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRAW HER BALLS

MOTHERfan42

• That Guy With The Face
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2010, 10:21:47 AM »
My mom and sister =/= gamers

Radaxen

• Epitome of Laziness
  • Proceed and Retrieve.
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2010, 04:32:53 PM »
Father: YOU'RE TOO OLD TO BE PLAYING GAMES (He's been telling me this since I was like 16)
Mother: Listen to what your father says

So basically even trying to show them Touhou means game over

As for the music, which I play on piano for hours everyday...

Mother: Sounds Japanese. (Me: yeah, it is)
Only theme she ever commented on that was nice was Greenwich in the Sky. (and it's technically not a theme as well)
Father: STOP PLAYING THAT PLAY ME MY 70'S POP NAO

Well I haven't told anything to my sister but I doubt she'd be into it. She isn't the gamer type after all..
Proceed and Retrieve.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2010, 04:41:08 PM »
Father: Doesn't really know it exists, perhaps for the better.
Mother: "Auuuugh, I don't understand how you can play that, it makes my eyes hurt."
Brother a): *shrugs, continues playing WoW*
Brother b): Lurves the music, knows more than half of the cast by name, regularly plays 'soku with me when he is at home for once.

So yeah...
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Radaxen

• Epitome of Laziness
  • Proceed and Retrieve.
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »
Man how I'd wish I had a brother
Proceed and Retrieve.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
Man how I'd wish I had a brother

Ehhh... My brother refuses to try anything I suggest, but is always eager to try anything anybody else suggests, it's annoying.

Drake

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52:33 PM »
"Man I wish I had a brother, it would be awesome because they would listen to me and we would get along and he would share all my interests"
"Man I wish I had a younger loli sister for obvious reasons"
"Man I wish I had no other siblings because my siblings suck ass and I would be much better alone"

yeah way to skewed views on siblings guys

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2010, 09:20:08 PM »
"Man I wish I had a younger loli sister for obvious reasons"
Lol! I don't think anybody actually thought that, you're a bad bad man Drake.

"Man I wish I had no other siblings because my siblings suck ass and I would be much better alone"

Hey now, my bro has annoying habits but I don't wish I didn't have him >=P

Drake

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2010, 09:51:35 PM »
I'm exaggerating, but you get the picture.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
I'm exaggerating, but you get the picture.

Yes, the picture is you're a bad bad man!
Am I the only guy who can't get his sibling into Touhou simply because of the "they are all girls" factor? At least I think that's why he's stubborn about not trying it.

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
My mother has said some character was cute when she saw me watching random pics, can't remember who though  :/
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
Lol! I don't think anybody actually thought that, you're a bad bad man Drake.

Uhmm... kinda guilty here. ::)

Yes.

Have you tried showing your friends videos from some of us cool bro's? I did that long time ago when i was playing Normal. I told my friend, "you think i'm good? Watch this guy!" and then link to one of Kefit's videos. Great fun. He was like "OMG, there is totally way too many bullets for the human brain to keep track of!"

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
Have you tried showing your friends videos from some of us cool bro's? I did that long time ago when i was playing Normal. I told my friend, "you think i'm good? Watch this guy!" and then link to one of Kefit's videos. Great fun. He was like "OMG, there is totally way too many bullets for the human brain to keep track of!"

Yuuuuup.
I was playing Phantasm Stage (and sucking at it) today, so I pulled up a vid of a clear of it.

D:

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
Doing that stuff is hard for me currently. I can only link to a few people better than me and because things are going on at such a high level they don't really see the difference of me doing a moderate job and Krim doing it flawlessly.

I can only show them videos of arcade games and they say it looks more managable because of less bullets. I keep trying to tell them that less bullets can be far more lethal if they are much faster but they won't listen. :)

But what i was talking about was that you should try showing your friends Jaimers' timeout of Scarlet Gensokyo. That spell is the embodiment of reading the entire screen at once. You will get slaugthered if you focus purely on your hitbox.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2010, 09:56:57 PM »
My friend has PCB on his laptop, but only half the soundtrack(For MIDI/WAV, he has only one of them) to save space. I was playing Extra. I saw my way to Kokurri-sans Contract or w/e. I normally can't make it past a few seconds into Charming Seige. The entire room was watching, casue they liked the music(I was still on the stage portion), then came in Ran who got stomped. Capped everything but Contract, which wrecked me.

A case of "Came for the music, stayed for the win." I am now being dogged to get the PCB soundtrack so that I can copy it on Memory keys and CDs for them. Yay?

Moreso on topic: I got my Eldest brother to try out PCB. He can make it to St5 Mid-Boss Youmu, on Normal, without continues. And no, his name does not contain any part of Tenshi's name :V

Ruminizer

• Chilling in my So Nanocar
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2010, 12:28:07 AM »
I'm the only Touhou player in my family. I've lured some friends
into it, but they're basically the only ones. Oh well.
The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances.
If there is any reaction, both are transformed.

- Carl Jung

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2010, 12:41:50 AM »
Lured. You make it sound like you were giving them drugs or something.

"Hey kids, wanna play a Japanese game?"
"Yeah!"

Luneth

• Down down, a clip round you, fall in drops, set a trap
  • Down down, a clip round you, get the trick of it.
    • I live here.
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2010, 03:07:25 AM »
Uhhh. Watching your hitox instead of the screen is bad, not good. Granted watching the patterns aesthetically is bad, bur you want to view as much as you can handle while reading all the trajectories... Some microfiche cards make me focus on the dot though, sanae is a good example. Watching your dot on vowg or something is very bad though.
I guess I was a little bit unclear. What I meant was.. Getting distracted by the pretty colors and patterns and not watching your hitbox at all. Yeah, that works better. >_>
I introduced another friend today. He actually -got- the game after calling Sanae's star patterns in a gameplay video satanic, told me he'd played it, then quit because it gave him a headache.
"You couldn't PAY me to play that game again!
Unless it was like 2 bucks."

Anyone have... :V

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2010, 04:43:16 AM »
As for luring victims friends of my own into Touhou, I have so far introduced three good friends of mine to it.  One plays EOSD (the only Touhou game she has at the moment) very sporadically.  One absolutely loves the music and doujin stuff, but refuses to even attempt the game, as gameplay videos give her headaches, and (in her own words) "sucks at 'real-time' games" (she's into turn-based games a lot).  One is into the music and seems fascinated by the expansive Touhou fanbase, but has decided not to start playing Touhou until summer, since she doesn't want to get "addicted" right now.

Drake

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2010, 04:56:45 AM »
He actually -got- the game after calling Sanae's star patterns in a gameplay video satanic, told me he'd played it, then quit because it gave him a headache.
wow what a pro he must be to have imported the game all the way from japan and quit it immediately after