Author Topic: Ar Tonelico 3  (Read 14557 times)

Re: Ar Tonelico 3
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »
I have to be fair on this. I'm honestly a little worried about the whole thing.

The 3D battle system is understandable, but I kind of feel they only went this way because they have Bandai Namco helping with the project. So it'll be like a Tales of game, without the history backing it. Additionally some of the backstory on the characters seems kind of... Rehashed? I can't help but feel that Saki is a little *too* much like Colette from Symphonia regarding her backstory. I'm fairly sure this won't be the case when it comes down to the actual game itself, and I'm liking the idea of having the different "outfits" add a better level of depth to the actual battle aspects, but truth be told I'm a little wary.

Music's awesome as always though, and the game itself looks nice enough. Now I just need a PS3...

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »
>implying Tsuchiya cares about Bandai

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 12:01:45 AM »
I haven't even heard of this series. I'll check it out. But if someone can volunteer a summary about the gameplay mechanics, and pros and cons of it I'd be grateful. I find review sites have gone from bad to worse lately.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 12:05:03 AM »
Ar Tonelico is a cross between a standard RPG and a dating sim, with item/song creation mechanics and other unique features.

Pros:
Delicious music, above average sprite work for the first two games, great character designs

Cons:
Easy as fuck, difficult to find legitimate copies for reasonable prices

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 03:48:02 AM »
Fair warning, the entire series is a Widget Series among Widget Series, includes a little ecchi (perverted) bits, and can downright get into WTF territory, especially during the Dating Sim aspect of them, and in some of the creatable items.

Like Edible said, the music is awesome, but you'll likely need to trawl Youtube for the guy doing English translations, since even if you can understand Japanese, you'll also need to understand a second language called Hymmnos (you can see an example of six lines from three songs in the second game in my signature) if you want to get anywhere figuring out how the songs fit the current theme.  EXEC_HARMONIUS/. is creepy as fuck.

As for battle mechanics, the first game is a bit like FFX's CTB system.  Vanguards and enemies fire off attacks, you can pick attacks at your leisure.  Reyvateils (you get one active in the first game) can use songs and attack at will.  The items dropped is entirely dependent on how you battle - being tactical and launching more but smaller spells is preferable to just pounding away at the enemy and unleashing a massive strike at the end.

In comparison, the second game is a bit more like...  Well, I haven't played too many RPGs with this type of battle system.  Battle is separated into two phases, one for each side.  During the Player Phase, two Vanguards can attack at will, while two Reyvateils sing one song, which they can release any time during the Player Phase.  During the Enemy Phase, the enemies launch a preset number of attacks, that you have to guard against with a sort of rhythm meter.  Hit it perfectly, and no damage.  Miss completely, and that Vanguard and the Reyvateil behind them get hurt.  As the Vanguards launch off attacks, they increase the powers of the Reyvateils behind them, and enough in the right direction can even help you launch off special attacks (even unleash the power of the titular tower, half a world away) and special abilities, such as Replakia.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »
>linking to TV Tropes

please kill yourself

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 04:30:08 AM »
I'm not even sure what 'Widget Series' is supposed to mean beyond "the publisher didn't excise every last iota of quirkiness from it in the name of localization, Working Designs style."

That page is also consistent for summarizing the concept as stuff 'marketed as a Weird Japanese Thing' and then listing a bunch of fansubbed anime.

慟哭と軋轢の黎明、苦吟を伴う歪な邂逅、翻然大悟

• 遊び心が齎す至高の不幸せと色褪せた歓喜
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 12:48:05 AM »
I think we should stop talking about random terms random people made up that won't spread at all and don't have much practical use, and start talking about random terms geniuses made up sustained in its own world.

If I could emo in Hymmnos I would.
物凄く面白くないですね、皆さんは!^^

Seventh Holy Scripture

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 01:59:07 AM »
If I could emo in Hymmnos I would.

xava xU rre <-x zz yIyU/.
xU fIpInI art lurrea/.
xN clemenzen whalt a.u.k. cest?

Unfortunately Hymmnos lacks words for 'crawl' or 'skin'.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:07:55 AM by Seventh Holy Scripture »

Edible

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »
Using 4chan-style indent 'quotes'

Back to the monastery with you.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »
I'm not really surprised that Tyria isn't an administrator.  This apparently means that out of the three Goddesses, only Eolia still maintains her position as an admin, and Ar tonelico is the only main tower left from before the war that made the Sea of Death.  Frelia's been hiding on Sol Marta, after all.  So I guess this means that the third tower (if it exists) is another Reyvateil-made one, like Infel Pira.

As an aside, when did Cloche take her administrative role with Infel Pira - when she sung one of her METHOD songs, or was it after EXEC_with.METHOD_METAFALICA/. (i.e. after the defrag that took out the IPD syndrome and Infel)?

As for emo in Hymmnos, you could probably replace skin with body for a similar effect (don't know what you could use for crawling), but I kind of wish Gust would come out with a Hymmnos-Japanese dictionary, even if it only included things from the two main dialects, or hell, even just the Central Standard dialect.  It'd be easier for the translators at least, since they wouldn't have to take them out of the liner notes of the Hymmnos Concert discs.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:10:48 AM by I.P.D. »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 05:50:11 PM »
Um, Tsuchiya put up an H-J dictionary and grammar reference page a long time ago: http://game.salburg.com/hymmnoserver/

There's even a translated version: http://hamsterx.homelinux.org/hymmnoserver/

Edible

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 03:44:50 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5422299/ar-tonelico-3-goes-underwear-fan-service-silly

hasdfoiashdfaosdifhao

I'm sure there are better scans than Kotaku though.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5422299/ar-tonelico-3-goes-underwear-fan-service-silly
Not that I'm complaining, but...
if they go any further than this I fear for the Europe release of this game.

But man, AT3 is really turning into a stripfest there (0_o)

慟哭と軋轢の黎明、苦吟を伴う歪な邂逅、翻然大悟

• 遊び心が齎す至高の不幸せと色褪せた歓喜
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2010, 09:47:39 PM »
http://ar-tonelico.jp/at3_countdown_fes/

34 hours.

COCONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SASHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
物凄く面白くないですね、皆さんは!^^

Edible

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »
Cocona~

Formless God

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »
Forget the game, I'm not into underwears. But the Hymmnos Concerts were already here.

Which reminds me ... I should finish studying these stuff some time >_>

Edible

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
Must resist urge to import.

Also the game is broken and you can access the debug menu at any time by pressing /+L2.

Seventh Holy Scripture

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 12:03:23 AM »
sup

慟哭と軋轢の黎明、苦吟を伴う歪な邂逅、翻然大悟

• 遊び心が齎す至高の不幸せと色褪せた歓喜
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010, 05:59:11 AM »
(;?Д`)ハァハァ

溢れる嫉妬。零れる嫉妬。抑えきれない嫉妬。我慢できない嫉妬。

なんだか凄く下品。
物凄く面白くないですね、皆さんは!^^

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 02:02:55 AM »
I should really get a job so I can get a PS3.

On the topic of the Hymmnos Concerts, I have to admit that some of the names surprised me (Cutypump?  Seriously?).  Ec Tisia made me check twice to see if something messed up with iTunes, because of the Singing Hill reprise.

The first part of EXEC_REBIRTHIA=PROTOCOL/. sounds a lot like the Velvet Room, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:27:46 AM by I.P.D. »

Move eternally forward,

Seventh Holy Scripture

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »
On the topic of the Hymmnos Concerts, I have to admit that some of the names surprised me (Cutypump?  Seriously?).  Ec Tisia made me check twice to see if something messed up with iTunes, because of the Singing Hill reprise.

Why does everyone hate chmod b111000000/n for being too repetitive and love METHOD_HYMMELI for being too repetitive?

No solid opinion on the game itself so far, combat is not terribly fun but no worse than AT1's, and the story hasn't had a chance to go anywhere yet (it got off to a weaker start than the previous games though.)

Shameless plug, by the way: if you're moonspeak-impaired, PS3-impaired or both you might be interested in following my playthrough here.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:31:22 AM by Seventh Holy Scripture »

Formless God

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2010, 02:04:55 PM »
I had to check the track name when Harmonics EOLIA suddenly kicked in >_>

Spoiler:
Ec Tisia is the best of all 3 ending themes, though.

慟哭と軋轢の黎明、苦吟を伴う歪な邂逅、翻然大悟

• 遊び心が齎す至高の不幸せと色褪せた歓喜
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
Almost done. Can access Tilia's cosmosphere now. Can't proceed on with Finnel's level 8 untl I progress with the plot.
Except this last stretch of the game probably has a crapload of content so I probably still have a ways to go.
And I'll probably replay it a few times.

I want to marry Finnel.
物凄く面白くないですね、皆さんは!^^

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »

慟哭と軋轢の黎明、苦吟を伴う歪な邂逅、翻然大悟

• 遊び心が齎す至高の不幸せと色褪せた歓喜
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Beat the game.
Wrote a short review in an irc channel but too lazy to write it again so just a few points.

Game has a crapload of flaws regarding the structure and progression of the plot, gameplay world, and inability to express tension properly. The number of hymmnos felt like a letdown compared to the previous series (main heroines only sing 1-2 songs each). Previous game has a better battle system but that doesn't mean too much since all the games are easy.

Aside from that you can expect the merits you might have expected from your previous experience with the prequels. But not much more, unless you enjoy the characters more. Which I do. Finnel is my favourite heroine in the entire series. Overall, AT2 is a much better game from an objective point of view, or at least as objective as I can get. This doesn't really matter if you're a fan of the series though. It's freaking AT.
物凄く面白くないですね、皆さんは!^^