Author Topic: Questions, doubts, requests, answers - Public discussion thread.  (Read 174480 times)

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
Re: Questions, doubts, requests, answers - Public discussion thread.
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »
I don't know why but my ideas immediately suck and made worse by the fact that it appeals even worse.

I need advice, how do I hook some fish? I mean, sure it's a unique idea but it just won't catch fire.

I'm not good with the starting, only with participating.

Advice? Also be gentle on this one, I'm kinda fragile atm.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »
Take a look through what's currently running and read a bit of the completed text adventures in Mystia's. The sticky in there has every thread archived. Some things appeal to the community, some stuff doesn't. Once you get a better idea of what sells here the people will naturally take interest.

When your game gets going, it's up to you to keep it moving. Almost all the games that die are because the one running it stops encouraging the players.

Basically sell what people want and keep it supplied.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2011, 01:59:44 AM »
What's a good site to play mafia?

« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2011, 04:38:43 AM »
Here, apparently.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2011, 05:26:44 AM »
Uhhh...

mafiascum.net?

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2011, 05:34:51 AM »
Uhhh...

mafiascum.net?

I registered 24+ hours ago. Haven't heard back yet. I'll check again in the morning - not sure how long registration takes.

« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »
Epicmafia is the best one I know. It has like, real-time games, which is nice for a change.

Smok, destroyer of thoughts

• The dangers of combing Ran and Mokou fanboyism
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »
Will Satan come and wreck the site since we got 66.666 posts in Mystia's Storage? :(

Mokou Fan

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »
It's been like that for several days now. You guys are slow.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
hmm..

I think this place is ok to ask... who wants to play a card game? hmm? It's possible via internet really.. only using forums.. I can send out your hand by PM thus, only you would be able to see it.

Possible thing I had in mind is this game in particular.. this. Well I did some converting of the rules, you might be familiar if you played it in Poland but... In general I linked this, because I guess you can't read Polish yes...?

hm about that game, basic rules are that you need to get rid of your cards in hand. You do that by placing a similar card, by colour or symbol.. "One can play a card if it corresponds to the suit or value of the open card. E.g. on a 10 of spades, only other spades can be played or other 10s.". If you can't, then you take a card. Also to make things interesting there are cards with functions, like changing colour,  halting or making the next player take 2,3,6 cards, etc.... Those cards.. I have kinda changed to "fit" Gensokyou Danmaku rules... Thus I hope you guys will have some of the fun from that :P.

Other cards games you might know or suggest, that are possible to play here....?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »
BorderCross
This or this not this... The Major difference is that.. there is actually 52 cards in a deck so, it's fair for everyone yes?...

gabrielwoj

• Is that someone did a 2D Touhou?
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »
Someone need to do a 2D Touhou shooter (like Airride)
I don't know if have already one...
Someone know about it?
Image on the Avatar by: xephonia-d35lvsi

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »
I've gotten my co-operation from the higher ups to enforce the system, now I open it to the players to discuss how strict it will be.

This is a punishment system for Mafia. It is based on the 2 yellows = 1 red in soccer. A yellow card is given for an infraction, 2 of them nets you a red card that say 'No more game for you'. That's how it works in soccer, but we can tweak it to suit our climate.

Key things that I want input from you guys is
 - What sort of offences in a game of mafia will get you a yellow, what gets you a red.
 - How many yellows to equate a red.
 - Yellows will remain on a person's record for how long? Number of games or physical time?

Being given a yellow can usually be handled by the game's mod. If they get a red, myself and a staff admin steps in to declare the person Lynched. What sort of social conduct do you want in your games of mafia?

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »
I think being prodded and/or replacing out should be a yellow card, since the latter disrupts the game and the former leads to questions of whether or not you're actually playing. Especially for any player that has to be prodded twice in one game.

« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
My two cents on this:

A modkill in a game is just unfun for everybody, and a huge inconvenience for all involved. A modkill for almost any reason should be a penalty against the person.

The Lynched status seems a bit much to always go along with the red card. I would think that the red card should be a Mafia ban, and Lynched would be a case-by-case kind of thing.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #196 on: May 28, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
"No more game for you" sounds like a modkill. Modkills should be up to the discretion of the mod.

Bans from Mafia games should never be permanent, for everyone has a possibility, however small, of shaping up and being less of a jerk.

I think "being replaced" is not something you can easily slap a punishment on: sometimes you have to replace out or get modkilled due to circumstances beyond your control. Leave it up to the mod's discretion to determine whether they want one such a player in their game.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
"No more game for you" sounds like a modkill. Modkills should be up to the discretion of the mod.

Bans from Mafia games should never be permanent, for everyone has a possibility, however small, of shaping up and being less of a jerk.

I think "being replaced" is not something you can easily slap a punishment on: sometimes you have to replace out or get modkilled due to circumstances beyond your control. Leave it up to the mod's discretion to determine whether they want one such a player in their game.

I disagree, in that there's a difference between a yellow card and a red card.

Players that occasionally can't play because of a situation outside of their control should probably be allowed to keep playing. Players that regularly and typically post less than once every 24 hours or switch out should probably take a break from the game until they can make the commitment.

Lexicat

• Cat in a Rage
  • Who am I again?
« Reply #198 on: May 28, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »
This is a WEE bit harsh.

I think Mods should just use their own discretion of who they allow into games, based on prior history.

Also, I suggest employing WOTC. (Wisdom of the Crowds)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »
Mods keeping their own blacklists is their own thing. Handing out a Yellow should be for something that happens in the game and caused a disruption. Again, that is up to the mod's discretion.

Players who are unhappy with another player's participation/commitment need to speak up and the issue will be investigated. I usually look into these things right away if I'm not in the game and get notified. If I'm a player in there, it has to wait till postgame. Once the details are out, I discuss with the mod if a Yellow should be given.

If someone manages to get a Red straight, it'll be because a forum mod had to be called in. Be it breaking a rule from the main forums or a rule from RPG. I'm fine with setting a mafia ban as a minimum and Lynching as a case-by-case.

« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
We should be lenient with how many yellows become a red. Relatively based on how easy it would be to get a Yellow. If we have someone being prodded once per day, and replacing out of the game, (especially late in the game) Chances are likely they'll earn enough yellows to be taken out, while leaving room for the people who have no choice in the matter, but are doing a good job otherwise.

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2011, 11:38:09 PM »
I think yellows should remain on a person for a set number of games.  Maybe, 3 games if they don't get anymore and 5+ games will remove the yellow irregardless?

Also agreeing with leniency for how many yellows become a red.  Perhaps stronger offenses become worth more than just one yellow?  Of course it is all subjective and is determined by current mod, Godmothers, etc.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #202 on: May 29, 2011, 03:40:54 AM »
I don't think a prod on its own should get a yellow card. A number of them in a game, say three or more would be more appropriate. I uh, don't really know how you'd judge what deserves a yellow card behaviour-wise. I think two is too little, I'm a believer in threes.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2011, 03:43:44 AM »
We should be lenient with how many yellows become a red. Relatively based on how easy it would be to get a Yellow. If we have someone being prodded once per day, and replacing out of the game, (especially late in the game) Chances are likely they'll earn enough yellows to be taken out, while leaving room for the people who have no choice in the matter, but are doing a good job otherwise.

If you are repeatedly making Mafia commitments you can't hold, regardless of the circumstances, maybe you need to reconsider how often you play Mafia.

Unless I misunderstand what "people who have no choice in the matter" implies.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2011, 04:43:58 AM »
I think giving people yellow cards for having to modkill or replace them would be really unfair, unless they signed up only to troll or not actually play (ie kips, but he wasn't modkilled anyway). Constant repeat offenses, though, maybe.

I also don't think red cards should really be "permanent", since they seem like they could end up being relatively easy to obtain for more clueless players depending on how strict the mods are, and they would restrict access from the entirety of RPG as well. I certainly don't think people's performances in Mafia should really affect their experiences with the other games that go on here.

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2011, 06:12:42 AM »
If yellows stick for a while, single prods shouldn't give you a yellow. That would mean getting prodded once in two games would yield you a red. Not everyone can phone-post. And I don't think people should be punished for having no computer access on one day (or two days) in 2-3 weeks.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2011, 07:31:51 AM »
The minimum activity requested is usually a post per 24 real life hours. Everyone goes home and has access once a day at such a time, right? If that's maintained, you don't get a prod. But if you have access and don't post, getting repeatedly prodded for that then it's you holding up the game for everyone else. The mod decides how many prods are worth a Yellow.

Signing up to just troll or screw around is a player decided matter. Speak to the mod about it, I'll investigate the matter and then we make a decision about a Yellow or not.

3 Yellows to become a Red. On receiving the third Yellow, it's a Red.
Yellows stay on public record for 2 games. Reds hold a 2 game ban, starting from the person's release from any other forum punishment (if applicable).

Anyone got tweaks they want on this setup?

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2011, 07:57:22 AM »
The minimum activity requested is usually a post per 24 real life hours. Everyone goes home and has access once a day at such a time, right? If that's maintained, you don't get a prod. But if you have access and don't post, getting repeatedly prodded for that then it's you holding up the game for everyone else. The mod decides how many prods are worth a Yellow.
Then there's people who aren't at home every day. Or who are, but there's still more than 24 hours inbetween (morning of day 1 and evening of day 2, for example).
But yeah, if the mod decides that beforehand there's no problem.

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #208 on: May 29, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
If you're so busy you can't devote the minimum 1 hour a day to this game, perhaps you shouldn't be signing up to play.

« Reply #209 on: May 29, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
If you are repeatedly making Mafia commitments you can't hold, regardless of the circumstances, maybe you need to reconsider how often you play Mafia.

Unless I misunderstand what "people who have no choice in the matter" implies.

This is exactly what I'm advocating. If you're a repeat offender, you'll quickly earn plenty of yellows anyway. If, on the other hand, you're one of those "people who have no choice in the matter, but do a good job otherwise" (you missed the second half, ##Vote: Kilga for misrepping), and you have to go to your mother's funeral or something, then that would only be one yellow card.

Basically, what I'm saying is, people will sometimes get sick, people will sometimes have things more important to do that argue with people they've never met, over the internet, about absolutely nothing, and sometimes, people wouldn't get the chance to know about this a month prior when they signed up for the game. Being lenient with yellow cards allows for the shit happens modifier while still punishing idiots and trolls.

That said, I don't have anything concrete to change about Pesco's plan for now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:24:50 PM by Zakalos »