~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center
"Ordinary Black Magician Marisa"
(1/6) > >>
Dollywitch:
I never understand this, in some games it calls her a "Strange" black magician, and in others "Ordinary". Is this just a translation hiccup, and it means something else? I love Marisa as a character but characters that pride themselves on being "Normal" annoy me. What exactly is meant by "Ordinary" in a game series that prides itself on being bizarre? Is Zun just trying to get across the point that she's not an insane, cackling witch, or like some of those "IRL" new age witches who get way into their stuff and take it too seriously, but well balanced and logical?

That said Marisa is kind of inconsistant, in EoSD she says she hates the night, but in IN she seems to like it. I guess she just has a strange sense of humour and is being silly?
Alice:

--- Quote from: Rosie Rune on May 13, 2009, 12:10:41 PM ---I never understand this, in some games it calls her a "Strange" black magician, and in others "Ordinary". Is this just a translation hiccup, and it means something else? I love Marisa as a character but characters that pride themselves on being "Normal" annoy me. What exactly is meant by "Ordinary" in a game series that prides itself on being bizarre? Is Zun just trying to get across the point that she's not an insane, cackling witch, or like some of those "IRL" new age witches who get way into their stuff and take it too seriously, but well balanced and logical?

That said Marisa is kind of inconsistant, in EoSD she says she hates the night, but in IN she seems to like it. I guess she just has a strange sense of humour and is being silly?

--- End quote ---
Yes, she is not insane yet. So she is still an ordinary human magician.
DarkHedge:
ZUN has no sense of coherence for eye color either (Sanae's eyes turned emerald green in UFO). But it seems he remembers Reimu's hair length since (unless he decides to suddenly cut them like in SA) it grows more and more throughout games.

That said I still think there's a link to "Neutral" more than "Normal". As Marisa makes no use of a particular magic style (being labeled as "high-level magician" with no elemental attacks and no special features like puppetry for so ronery Alice), to me it seems logical.

(although I do believe I sometime have fridge logic more than often.)
Dollywitch:

--- Quote from: Alice on May 13, 2009, 12:24:55 PM ---Yes, she is not insane yet. So she is still an ordinary human magician.

--- End quote ---

Oh so it means she's not a "Magician" like Alice then, who's gone all weird and supernatural from the core out? She's an ordinary human wielding supernatural power, but is not a supernatural being herself?
Gpop:
What you consider ordinary or not is, once again, subjective.

In my eyes she's anything BUT ordinary =/. She's a human magician, not a Youkai Magician like Patchouli and Alice. I guess in Gensokyo, "ordinary" magicians are the youkai type, but once again, it's all subjective.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version