Author Topic: Oh Yes! doki-doki☆Sunshine! - Love Live Sunshine thread!  (Read 3656 times)

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
Oh Yes! doki-doki☆Sunshine! - Love Live Sunshine thread!
« on: July 03, 2016, 11:43:53 PM »
The new Love Live spinoff began airing July 2nd! A lot people (myself included) were worried it would be a blatant cash grab with knockoff characters, but I think it's shaping up to be really good. (In other words, I saw the pilot and got HYPED) Some of the girls have similar character traits (
Spoiler:
Chika's Honoka-like pep and small business parents, Dia's Eli-like insistence that there be no idols, Ruby's Hanayo-like interest in idoling, Riko's Maki-like pianism
), but imo those are more of recurring LL thematic elements (alongside "deep down doesn't everyone want to be an idol") (Also it's probably still too soon to say how similar anyone is). Really I think all the new girls are beautiful and wonderful and I love them so much

The new seaside setting works really well (in the first episode alone,
Spoiler:
they took boat rides, went diving, and had a heart-to-heart on the beach in the sunset
), the music is still really great, and I just can't wait for more episodes so I can get to know these girls better and watch them fall in lesbian love with each other form deep and fulfilling friendships!

Who else is watching? What are your thoughts?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Oh Yes! doki-doki☆Sunshine! - Love Live Sunshine thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
I demand bag-on-head idol races.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »
I don't watch this stuff usually but the first episode had some really crisp character animation. I'll stick around to see how long they can keep it up.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 06:04:24 AM »
I was anxious about Sunshine being a cheap cashin on the success of the original, but I ended up really excited after the first episode! Probably my biggest surprise was Dia, actually. I thought she was going to be the typical STUBBORN STUDENT COUNCIL PRESIDENT like Eli was in the original, but they threw in a bunch of little details to make it clear that she is trying waaaay too hard at it. :V

Also the first episode did a lot more to introduce the characters from the start. The original Love Live was a pretty slow starter in comparison, though you could chalk that up to them having to explain the whole concept of school idols as well. I also laughed a lot more than I did with the original LL, especially with the form in the puddle and
Spoiler:
Riko turning Chika down at the end of the episode.

In other news You is best girl

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 12:34:30 AM »
Probably my biggest surprise was Dia, actually. I thought she was going to be the typical STUBBORN STUDENT COUNCIL PRESIDENT like Eli was in the original, but they threw in a bunch of little details to make it clear that she is trying waaaay too hard at it. :V

With the latest episode, her deal is pretty much explicit now.  She's a Nico who thinks she's really an Eli, and that's absolutely adorable.  Guess I've found my horse to back.  I guess the similiarity of delusion is why people ship her with Yoshiko, even though I'm not high on that pair myself.

(arisa, please show up and blow her mind with the truth  :getdown:)
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »
In lieu of episode 4 coming out, I've seen even more comments that the series is getting too formulaic when compared to the original:
♠ Episode 1 introduces main girl and introduces the concept of idols. The scene with Chika watching ?'s is even in the same area Honoka watched A-RIse.
♣Episode 2 shows them struggling to form the club against the school president.
♥Episode 3 has a botched concert that turns into success at the last moment.
♦Episode 4 is recruiting the shy first years...
...And I mean, Episode 5 is titled "Yohane  Descends", compared with "Nico Strikes!"

I personally can see this being a way to creating a structure that people are comfortable with, and working within that structure to pump out season after season, similarly to what shows like Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Pretty Cure do. It'd be a way to compete with IdolM@ster's Million Live and Cinderella girls, but less overwhelming for the viewer since you get to learn 9 at a time instead of all at once. By having a set structure, they spend less time explaining the core ideas and plots, and more time focusing on the characters (At least in theory, haha.)

I've also seen comments that they are being to heavy-handed with the ?'s references, but honestly, its gotten me warm and fuzzy every time.

I mean, despite all this, I am still thoroughly enjoying this, and I have been eager to see Yohane in action since her design was first released... But I think it will be very interesting to see how the series unfolds when compared to the original Love Live!.  It's been super cute so far, and I have pretty high hopes.

★[tumblr]☆[picarto]☆[deviantart]★

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 09:35:56 PM »
Yoshiko is a quality girl and I like love her
Edit:for a better choice of word lol

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 02:07:24 AM »
Things are RAMPING UP
I'm really happy to see some new twists!

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »
This was a very good episode. Aqours did the one thing muse never did.
Spoiler:
Failed