Author Topic: Should we get our own Discord server?  (Read 22465 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Re: Should we get our own Discord server?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »
@Hele. I don't think IRC is user-unfriendly, rather it's somewhat clunky. In my case, it takes some time for me to get used to it and use a lot of it's features properly.

In any case, welp I tried. I hope sumday, we'll use Discord. Some day. Or atleast leave IRC for something better.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2016, 06:45:46 PM »
We don't need to leave IRC for Discord. We can have both if we want, and people can decide which they want to be a part of (there are people who mostly sticks around IRC but don't go on the boards and vice versa). Discord doesn't have to be a replacement for IRC, just another way for MotKers to connect with each other.

We can make an unofficial MotK server for now anyways for people to join if the guys here are okay with it. I remember there used to be an unofficial Skype group way back when Skype wasn't even owned by Microsoft or and MSN was still a thing while Skype remained hidden from the mainstream. I don't see any reason why not to do the same with Discord for now.

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
It is notoriously finicky with a roaming connection which can cause frequent disconnects and since data is stored client-side, doesn't allow you to read messages from when you're offline (for instance).
This is why I have Irssi running in a tmux session on my home server. I can connect to it from my phone and pick up where I left off on my laptop, and if the session gets disconnected I can return to it easily since it all runs on the server. If I'm offline and someone pings me I can see it when I log on again. It's like IRCCloud, but free and self-hosted.

Setting this up requires SSH and Unix (or Cygwin if you're running Windows) and there are very detailed and easy-to-follow guides on how to do that.

Zerviscos

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »
We can make an unofficial MotK server for now anyways for people to join if the guys here are okay with it.
if they don't mind.

Do you guys mind? And by guys, I mean Hele, and Edible.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 06:21:48 AM »
Just get HexChat and if you have any questions, ask, though most of them can probably be answered in seconds by simply googling. Setting up an IRC client and connecting to the channel should take less than 5 minutes even if you know barely anything about IRC.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
That's besides the point. Setting up Discord also takes less that 30 seconds, and even IRC shouldn't be used only for "asking questions", it's just for general discussion and interaction.

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
Let me rephrase that: If you have any questions about IRC or how to use certain features, just post here or ask the people in the channel. I know what IRC is used for.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
if they don't mind.

Do you guys mind? And by guys, I mean Hele, and Edible.

I don't mind if you set up a discord server, but for a number of reasons I can't have it tied to MotK officially or otherwise, which also means unfortunately I can't allow you to advertise it here.  Feel free to tell people about it in private if you like, however.

Zerviscos

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 04:28:54 PM »
Alright. I'll talk to some ppl here who want an "un"official one.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
The invitation has expired or is invalid.
Good start. :V

Is it really neccessary to exchange PMs instead of just using this thread? Seems unofficial enough for me either way. It's not like we're creating some secret society and bringing a new order to this world.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:37:34 AM by 'ω' »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.