Author Topic: PC-98/Windows bullet patterns similarities (illustrated)  (Read 3030 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
PC-98/Windows bullet patterns similarities (illustrated)
« on: September 27, 2014, 05:16:25 PM »
I promised I'll do this, and finally here it is. I've been noticing some PC-98 patterns looked REALLY familiar after playing Windows games, so I planned to give PC-98 games a more detailed look. A lot of patterns are too simple or generic to make parallels reliably, but here are some of the more notable and interesting cases.

Meira's pattern and Kagerou's "Triangle Fang"/"Star Fang"

Both move around the screen leaving a trail behind (a line in Meira's case, medium-size white bullets in Kagerou's) which bursts into bullets that result in a pretty chaotic pattern (Meira's can also burst into aimed bullets). Kagerou's spellcard pictured above is an Easy version - she leaves THREE lines on higher ones. (Also, inb4 "Kagerou is Meira bitten by a werewolf" theories.)

Mima's pattern and Yatsuhashi's "Heian's Reverberation"/"Echo Chamber"

Both are tight streams of reflecting bullets. While Yatsuhashi rotates them all around her and Mima shoots them all in one general direction and initially straight, the similarity of approach becomes apparent when the latter starts waving them.

SoEW extra stage pattern and Orin's third nonspell

A quite witty pattern. Four lines of tiles that form a cross burst into circles of bullets, from center and outwards. It's the same in Orin's case, just with spirits and more lines. In both cases a highly symmetrical and very structured pattern is formed.

Evil Eye Sigma's pattern and Mokou's "Flaw of Forgiving Shrine"

The approach to patterns is strikingly similar. Both are reflecting vertically flying bullets. Differences are that for Evil Eye Sigma bullets reflect twice and it shoots lasers right below it, while for Mokou there are two sets of bullets at the same time, they reflect only once and are slower after reflecting.

Kurumi's pattern and Nazrin's "Rare Metal Detector"/"Gold Detector"

Lasers are shot towards the sides of the screen and burst into circles of bullets. Quite a unique thing, I don't think I've seen this in any other STG.

Yuuka's pattern and Marisa's "Master Spark"

Get an eyeful on how different the two are :) Going into details, Yuuka's is bigger, always in the center and vertical, while Marisa's is usually aimed (and sometimes turns). For accompanying bullets, Yuuka's are a fast circle of "lines" and a random bunch of slower circles. Marisa usually has circles of stars (in case shown above, there are faster and slower circles at the same time).

Yuuka's pattern and Eirin's "Earth in a Pot"/"Galaxy in a Pot"

In both cases, your first reflex would be to stay out of what is actually a safe area (purple circle and circle of familiars respectively). Notable differences are that the former shrinks while latter stays the same and then expands, and additional danger in form of bullets come from Yuuka in former and from familiars in latter.

Shinki's pattern and Byakuren's "Devil's Recitation"

Pretty obvious and very faithful recreation. Except much improved - shown above is Lunatic version of the former and Easy version of the latter, and it already trumps its predecessor.

Well, that's it for the most notable cases I've noticed. If I missed anything big enough, feel free to add anything, just keep to the format to prove your findings.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:57:19 PM by C.Angel »

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
Re: PC-98/Windows bullet patterns similarities (illustrated)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
I'm playing the PC-98 titles quite often and have noticed the similarities as well (like so many of us do).
Especially MS is quite full of them and I'm always a little surprised at how only Byakuren really gets called out on it. :V
I know she's in Makai and stuff, people expected a PC98 return but Shinki's patterns in particular all are used by someone else except for maybe two or three. Sanae, Rumia and Yuyuko being most noticable imho.
Ex-Alice also has the prototypes for some patterns.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 06:15:15 PM »
I have one, but no screenshots:

LLS Extra stage's first few enemies have the exact same attacking pattern as EoSD stage 1 and Extra.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:48:18 AM »
Especially MS is quite full of them and I'm always a little surprised at how only Byakuren really gets called out on it. :V

Don't be shy to point them all out. I probably missed or ignored many since I'm not as familiar with Windows patterns as I could be.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »
I assumed you had those kind of in the back but not yet posted. :V I'll play through MS to refresh my memory a bit and then edit them into here.

First some more things about LLS:

LLS last stage has the Meiling triple-shot aim-fairies (Their way of attacking is noteworthy enough to be mentioned as special.)
and Suwako stole her Non-Spells from Yuuka

MS

- First part of the first stage is similar to TD's 1st stage

- Sara's last phase is Moonlight Ray (ZUN used that one even earlier)

- Second stage Mirror last phase is Spring like Suiga

- Second stage part after mirror is EoSD's second stage

- Fourth stage midboss has Phantasy Seal - Spread -

- Mai's second phase resembles Karakasa Suprise Flash in the way it works (kinda far fetched)

- Yumeko's second to last phase is Carnivorous Danmaku Transformation

- Yumeko's last phase is Mercury Poison

- Shinki's second phase is Rumia's 2nd nonspell

- Shinki's third phase is Yuyuko's 2nd nonspell

- Shinki's fourth phase is Daytime Guest Stars

- Ex-Alice's second phase is Moses Miracle

Bonus: Yuyuko totally ripped off Yuuka's Shottype

And I definitely missed a few which I just didn't recognize.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:22:34 PM by Yookie »

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »
The blue fairies in MS stage 5 have the same attack pattern as the red fairy maids in EoSD stage 3 (fast, aimed blue kunai).
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
- Yumeko's second to last phase is Carnivorous Danmaku Transformation

The idea is there, but "dog danmaku" appears on your "altitude" there instead of along the whole screen height. But that's actually how they act in other Mamizou's cards (except a bit randomized).

- Yumeko's last phase is Mercury Poison

Reisen's and Kanako's first nonspells act somewhat similar too, as long as how you dodge them is concerned.

- Shinki's third phase is Yuyuko's 2nd nonspell

I think it's a bit closer to Emerald Megalith.

- Ex-Alice's second phase is Moses Miracle

This one is originally based on final pattern of DoDonPahchi stage 6 boss, and I imagine this one is handled the same way, which (probably?) differs from how you handle Sanae's spellcard. But yeah, the idea clearly came from this one.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
Didn't know about the DoDonPachi thing with the Alice-pattern. There is certainly one key difference in the two in that Sanae has the wave-pattern at the walls out the entire time with it undulating a bit whereas Alice just has waves going along the border of the screen alternating between left and right.

The Shinki-Yuyu one is also about Yuyuko opening her Fan and Shinki revealing her wings. They both begin with a burst of projectiles and start the "actual fight".
I guess I also took a bad screenshot of it. Emerald Megalith just drops straight down with the bubbles having trails of smaller bullets. In this pattern (and Yuyuko's) they are circular waves with several points at Shinki's wings/Yuyu's Fan as their starting point and the small bullets don't really follow the big ones.

Reisen's and Kanako's first non-spells are similar to each other but appear in waves of rings instead of the criss-crossing pattern that Mercury Poison has.
There are other occasions where this kind of pattern is used but I found Patchouli's spellcard to be the most iconic - also because it came first in all of the windows games.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 05:18:51 PM »
Emerald Megalith just drops straight down with the bubbles having trails of smaller bullets. In this pattern (and Yuyuko's) they are circular waves with several points at Shinki's wings/Yuyu's Fan as their starting point and the small bullets don't really follow the big ones.

Yuyuko's pattern has waves of small bullets that form aimed streams and waves of big bullets that are also aimed. Shinki's waves of small bullets are aimed as well, but big ones fall straight down at random points, hence my Emerald Megalith suggestion. Well, I think the truth is that we found a pattern that influenced TWO different Windows-era patterns :V Nice.

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »
Shinki has about 2 phases at most that haven't been reused at a later point. And chances are that even those have had a reappearance.
Poor girl. :V

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 02:30:37 AM »
I'm amazed nobody said this yet:
Stage 2 in Touhou 5 and Touhou 6. In touhou 5, blue objects fall down rather randomly. In touhou 6 (after beating Daiyousei), ice crystals will fly down in a similar fashion. Someone please get a picture of this.