Author Topic: Yukari Quest VI - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 60025 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Yukari Quest VI - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #570 on: August 31, 2014, 12:58:21 AM »
> "...I don't know."

>"Well, it's probably best if you put me down, first thing," says Maribel. "And I guess we go where we haven't gone yet?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #571 on: August 31, 2014, 02:43:49 AM »
> Aww.
> Gently set Mary down.
> "I don't know of any other unexplored gaps, sadly."
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2014, 02:50:48 AM »
We might as well go through the end game gap now, don't think there's anything else to be done.

Though since we're still only at six threads, something tells me this quest is far from over.

> Do we think we could use the mirror on that pseudo-gap to see where it leads?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #573 on: August 31, 2014, 02:59:09 AM »
> Do we think we could use the mirror on that pseudo-gap to see where it leads?

>Depends on whether or not it crosses a world border, which you are reasonably sure it does. You'd need your astrolabe for that. However, you will be able to ascertain the endpoint isn't innately dangerous upon stepping out.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #574 on: August 31, 2014, 03:23:38 AM »
> Aww.
> Gently set Mary down.
> "Well, there is one more gap I have not yet explored, but given the circumstances under which it came to be, I will want to take a long, hard look at it before I decide if it is worth the effort to go through."

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #575 on: August 31, 2014, 04:08:25 AM »
> Aww.
> Gently set Mary down.
> "Well, there is one more gap I have not yet explored, but given the circumstances under which it came to be, I will want to take a long, hard look at it before I decide if it is worth the effort to go through."

>You set Maribel back down.
>"That one here, right?" she says, as she leans against one of the columns and puts her socks back on.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #576 on: August 31, 2014, 05:30:46 AM »
> "Yes."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #577 on: August 31, 2014, 05:58:10 AM »
> "Yes."

>"Well, if it's where we have left to go, and you don't mind being around the roots around there."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #578 on: August 31, 2014, 06:03:10 AM »
> Do we remember enough of the terrain to gap ourselves to the corrupted pseudo-gap?
> "We will have to head through that gap sooner or later, and I imagine those roots are not going anywhere, so I don't really have much of a choice."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #579 on: August 31, 2014, 06:26:43 AM »
> Do we remember enough of the terrain to gap ourselves to the corrupted pseudo-gap?
> "We will have to head through that gap sooner or later, and I imagine those roots are not going anywhere, so I don't really have much of a choice."

>It shouldn't be a problem for you to get there.
>"It's up to you, I'm saying," says Maribel. "Unless you think there's somewhere else worth going?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #580 on: August 31, 2014, 06:44:15 AM »
> Shake head.
> "No, I think we had best take a look at this now."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #581 on: August 31, 2014, 07:04:14 AM »
> Shake head.
> "No, I think we had best take a look at this now."

>"Lead the way, then," says Maribel.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #582 on: August 31, 2014, 07:08:14 AM »
> Using our mirror to make sure we will step out onto a place that isn't a root, make and head through a gap back to the corrupted pseudo-gap.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #583 on: August 31, 2014, 07:15:54 AM »
> Using our mirror to make sure we will step out onto a place that isn't a root, make and head through a gap back to the corrupted pseudo-gap.

>You open a gap back to that site, and step through it. It feels good not to have to worry so much about what is on the other end of a gap.
>Emerging on the other side, you find yourself among tall spindly arches that crisscross the ground here, casting  thin shadows everywhere. The land is as you remember it, and the gap where you remember as well. The air is still.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #584 on: August 31, 2014, 07:29:45 AM »
> Inspect the corrupted gap with the mirror.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #585 on: August 31, 2014, 07:34:06 AM »
> Inspect the corrupted gap with the mirror.

>Applying the mirror to the gap is...difficult. The nature of it is muddied and permeated with the destructive energies that first burnt this hole in the borders. Still, you can feel the far end is safe. Transit will be the problem.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #586 on: August 31, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »
> What would the astrolabe contribute to the process of making transit possible?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #587 on: August 31, 2014, 07:46:24 AM »
> What would the astrolabe contribute to the process of making transit possible?

>You aren't terribly sure if it would help.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #588 on: August 31, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »
> Deep breath.
> "All right. Let's see what can be done here."
> Get to work on making the gap serviceable, using all of our tools as they are useful.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #589 on: August 31, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
> Deep breath.
> "All right. Let's see what can be done here."
> Get to work on making the gap serviceable, using all of our tools as they are useful.

>You set to work on this gap. The central problem is that the gap that exists is incomplete, formed around the hole that had been forced between the borders. The resulting gap that formed around it is as much of a scab upon the wound, so to speak, as a hole between the borders. The power that created this, a blending of raw destructive impulse and desire, linger within it. Having examined the roots, you can tell that it is the same force you felt within them; the roots exist within this gap, and it will be necessary to work around them.
> You will have to decide how you wish to try to repair this gap. The problems it has are many. It is not stable enough to stay open under its own power, falling apart within fractions of a second after it is opened. While the gap has been seared open, the endpoints are not well connected; the hole between here and there may blink out at any moment.  Opening it will take a great deal of delicacy to make it work. As well, the roots are a presence that will interfere greatly, and cannot be ignored, you will need to keep them separate from the gap itself, if only for your own safety. You feel there will be other problems that will arise from actually transiting through this gap, it will be tremendously unsafe to bring Maribel along. How will you try to address these problems?
>Your tools are:
>Yukari's Screwdriver.
>Seemingly a basic screwdriver. With this, you may prise open gaps with much more precision and delicately than you can alone.
>Yukari's Hourglass
>This basic timekeeping device assists in maintaining gaps. With it, you can leave gaps open for longer, and without having to physically concentrate on them.
>Yukari's Wrench
>A simple-looking wrench with an adjustable head. This aids you in moving a gap from one place to another while preserving it.
>Yukari's Mirror
>A hand mirror. With this, you can open a gap to an unfamiliar place safely, and eliminates the possibility of opening a gap somewhere that would be dangerous.
>Yukari's Pliers.
>A basic pair of pliers. These assist you in narrowing and closing gaps with far greater ease and speed than you can alone.
-Yukari's Vise Grip
>A simple metal tool designed to hold a thing in place. It is designed to assist you in taking disparate gaps and drawing them closer together.
> Yukari's Magnifying Glass
>A lens with a handle. This tool allows you to examine gaps and potential gaps much more closely, greatly broadening the range of options you have to work with.
>Yukari's Tape Measure.
>A length of material with precise markings of length. With it, you can use it bridge distance much more quickly and easily.

>_

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #590 on: August 31, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »
>With the screwdriver and hourglass, we can open it and manage to keep it open for a bit.
>With the vicegrips, we can connect it more reliably between here and the endpoint.
>With the wrench, we can... try to keep the makeshift gap away from the roots?
>Magnifying glass as necessary to aid in accurately doing any of the other work, if it'd help.
>Would the tape measure help in actually transiting through the gap?
>And possibly the pliers to help stably close the gap after we're through, once we get that far. Or, if necessary, to help narrow the gap into something more manageable as we're working with it.

>...does it seem like this plan might work?
>"If I even manage to make this... hole... into a functional gap, I won't be able to take you with me. Going through it myself will be risky; it's far too dangerous to try and take you along, sadly."
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #591 on: August 31, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
>With the screwdriver and hourglass, we can open it and manage to keep it open for a bit.
>With the vicegrips, we can connect it more reliably between here and the endpoint.
>With the wrench, we can... try to keep the makeshift gap away from the roots?
>Magnifying glass as necessary to aid in accurately doing any of the other work, if it'd help.
>Would the tape measure help in actually transiting through the gap?
>And possibly the pliers to help stably close the gap after we're through, once we get that far. Or, if necessary, to help narrow the gap into something more manageable as we're working with it.

>...does it seem like this plan might work?
>"If I even manage to make this... hole... into a functional gap, I won't be able to take you with me. Going through it myself will be risky; it's far too dangerous to try and take you along, sadly."

>These seems like a very reasonable plan. The tape measure will be helpful if the course takes longer than anticipated, which is definitely a possibility.
>"So, you're just going to leave me here?" says Maribel.

>_

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #592 on: August 31, 2014, 01:27:59 PM »
>"I'm afraid there's little choice. If you'd rather rest somewhere else, I could take you there before I go."
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #593 on: August 31, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
>"I'm afraid there's little choice. If you'd rather rest somewhere else, I could take you there before I go."

>"Rather than that," says Maribel. "Promise me you'll be back within an hour. And maybe leave me with some firewood and stuff?"

>_

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #594 on: August 31, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »
>"Alright, I'll grab some firewood first. I'm afraid I can't promise I'll be back right away once I leave, especially with how unstable the... "gap", is, but I'll try. Now, I'll be right back with something to burn."
>Gap back to where we were just before, with the columns around which grew shrubberies and whatnot.
>Attempt to harvest easily burnable materials. We can sever the plants with well-placed gaps, right?
>If successful, return to Maribel with the loot.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #595 on: August 31, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
>"Alright, I'll grab some firewood first. I'm afraid I can't promise I'll be back right away once I leave, especially with how unstable the... "gap", is, but I'll try. Now, I'll be right back with something to burn."
>Gap back to where we were just before, with the columns around which grew shrubberies and whatnot.
>Attempt to harvest easily burnable materials. We can sever the plants with well-placed gaps, right?
>If successful, return to Maribel with the loot.

>"You better!" she says.
>You recall there were a lot of weeds and such. They might burn, but they wouldn't catch very easily or burn for long.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #596 on: August 31, 2014, 02:29:07 PM »
> Is bringing Mary along sealed in our inventory gap not an option, given she could probably hold her breath for 20 or 30 seconds?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #597 on: August 31, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
> Is bringing Mary along sealed in our inventory gap not an option, given she could probably hold her breath for 20 or 30 seconds?

>You might be able to do this, but you aren't sure if it's a good idea, given how rocky the road ahead might be. Especially if you end up someplace like the white room or the temple, where accessing it again may not be an option, or end up stranded within the borders again yourself.

>_

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #598 on: August 31, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
>Where do we recall anything more properly wood-like to burn?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #599 on: August 31, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
>Where do we recall anything more properly wood-like to burn?

>The forest certainly has its share of wood. Though you suppose a bundle of fronds might burn nicely if they packed densely enough.

>_