Author Topic: AnimeNEXT 2013!  (Read 15434 times)

Re: AnimeNEXT 2013!
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
Rough estimate is that it's about half as big as Anime Boston's was, and it's located in the Holiday Inn again this year, which is west of the parking lot of the Exhibit Center, so it's actually a bit of a trek even getting there... Usually I see Touhou fans park their computers in the DoubleTree, since it's far more easily accessible (it's the host building for most of the panels, after all) and comfortably holds a lot more room for such things to go on; the staff doesn't seem to particularly mind us being there with our computers and controllers and whatnot, either...

So, all-in-all, if you want to find Touhou fans playing the games, I'd look all around the DoubleTree first~ :)

... not sure what Doubletree is, but I will look for it!

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 06:20:18 PM »
... not sure what Doubletree is, but I will look for it!

It's the major hotel directly behind the Garden State Exhibit Center;  there's even a walkway to the right of the registration desks that will lead you directly to it~

However, if it's rainy it'll get much more crowded inside - like you said, the Doubletree is the main hotel people are in - in the hallways and setting up shop sitting down in the hallways might become an issue.
(I am not at all affiliated with con safety, this is just my opinion)

This is true, but this might also mean that the other attendees besides the Touhou crowd will be more inclined to go to the events, Dealer's Room and Artists' Alley taking place rather than just sit around and do nothing all day.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:23:55 PM by BL2W »

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 06:27:59 PM »
Between the Doubletree and the GSEC itself will be pretty much all the main panels and workshops.  I think it's primarily gaming in the Holiday Inn - you'll know because that's the one across the street with a crossing guard (even then it still sucks to get to)  It's also where we get staff dinner which I'll be honest is pretty much the only reason I go there :V

At least they moved the video rooms to not the 300 building, oh man I never even bothered to make the trek there.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »
Went last year, had fun, plan on doing so again (as long as this fever/cold/whatevertheheckihave goes away). Probably just gonna make a day trip on Saturday. I was gonna make a Suwako hat, too, but being sick in bed for three days straight kind of ruins everything

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 07:25:51 PM »
What's the Dealer's Room like in terms of Touhou merch?

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
What's the Dealer's Room like in terms of Touhou merch?

Last year there were a few Touhou-related doujinshi at whatever dealer was selling them, but I was only there on Saturday so I have no idea if they had more stuff on Friday or what. I didn't really see anything besides that.

Shame the Touhou panel is so late on Saturday, I won't be able to stay that long D:

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »
Shame the Touhou panel is so late on Saturday, I won't be able to stay that long D:

Just for the sake of everyone who has been stating this...

1) I have been planning on recording the whole panel for you guys and gals who can't make it and posting it on YouTube; granted, I would still advise that you do your best to make it, if at all possible.

2) 11 PM was the alternative time that I was immediately offered when I challenged the time I was originally given, so I took it as quickly as I could (after asking my co-panelists about it, of course). The way I see it as a panelist for a fan-based panel, that's far better than 12:30 PM on Friday early-afternoon. :ohdear:

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
Just for the sake of everyone who has been stating this...

1) I have been planning on recording the whole panel for you guys and gals who can't make it and posting it on YouTube; granted, I would still advise that you do your best to make it, if at all possible.

2) 11 PM was the alternative time that I was immediately offered when I challenged the time I was originally given, so I took it as quickly as I could (after asking my co-panelists about it, of course). The way I see it as a panelist for a fan-based panel, that's far better than 12:30 PM on Friday early-afternoon. :ohdear:

Not blaming you for anything. I was surprised there was going to be a Touhou panel at all :X

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
Oh, I never was trying to imply that anyone was blaming me for anything~! I just thought that you guys deserved an explanation for the bit of confusion that had been going on over the past few days with scheduling.

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »
Oh, I never was trying to imply that anyone was blaming me for anything~! I just thought that you guys deserved an explanation for the bit of confusion that had been going on over the past few days with scheduling.

12:30 on a friday is a pretty bad time for a panel. Though to be fair you will never find a time that fits everyone perfectly.

I am just happy that I can make the panel :D

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »

Ah, okay then. TBH I'm less interested in the panels and more interested in the people who would go to ones that I would go to. I don't know if that sounds creepy or not but it didn't in my head.

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »
Ah, okay then. TBH I'm less interested in the panels and more interested in the people who would go to ones that I would go to. I don't know if that sounds creepy or not but it didn't in my head.

Meetups, photoshoots and panels are primarily why I go to conventions. There's only just so much online interaction you can get but actually meeting people in person is fun.

(Also partying/drinking but that feels taboo to talk about. Many people don't touch the stuff and I respect that.)

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »
TBH I'm less interested in the panels and more interested in the people who would go to ones that I would go to. I don't know if that sounds creepy or not but it didn't in my head.

No, that doesn't sound creepy at all~! Meeting people in person who like what you like can be a very interesting experience, often fun, and open events like photoshoots are awesome for this, in my opinion~ ;)

triangles

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »
Channel your inner Kogasa, folks  :ohdear:
[attach=1]

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 02:46:16 PM »
Channel your inner Kogasa, folks  :ohdear:
[attach=1]

Well luckily everything is inside right.... right?

triangles

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
All the con events themselves yes, a few years back there was a dunk tank but not this year.
However, in the past the lines to the concerts/masquerade would extend outside, and like 90% of all the cosplayer photoshoots are outside as well.  You can get from the GSEC to the Doubletree via a covered walkway (pretty narrow but gets the job done) but not so much if you need to get to the Holiday Inn.

I can't recall it ever raining during the bulk of the convention before.  Fortunately I only have to be in costume once Sunday morning and if it gets rained on who cares it's all cotton.  Meiling hat is cotton + wood so I'm good on that too, definitely ain't bringing out the pimp red mage hat though :V

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »

Just what I was betting on since everyone I knew started getting scared about rain this past week~ :3

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 03:39:57 AM »
And now, the AnimeNEXT Touhou aftermath:

~ "Touhou @ AnimeNEXT 2013: Deka Reimu's Big Adventure"
~ "'Touhou: A World Within Our Own' - AnimeNEXT 2013" (a.k.a., the panel)

I hope you all had fun this year~! I know that Saturday alone was definitely a blast for me, interacting with all of you Touhou peeps and hosting the panel~ ;)

triangles

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 02:23:57 PM »
Oh man I missed a bunch of those cosplayers in the video (no surprise haha)  I didn't watch the whole video yet, but it seems like it went well!  And actually, it's good you were on the late side - cons tend to be kinda bad about having all-ages options later in the evening so I love that there were other panels for everyone.... even if it means you all missed out on MY 18+ panel  :V

Dare I ask if anyone attended any of my department's events?  We did Jeopardy, Name That Tune, both Dating Games, Match Game, and Cosplay Chess.  I wish I could have made it to the photoshoot at least but alas staffing prep work, we're a small department for all that we pull off.  But this is the first year ALL OUR PARTICIPANTS SHOWED UP FOR ALL 3 PREREGISTERED EVENTS I mean holy crap this is huge, we've never had even one of our events with no last minute no-shows.  Our cohorts on the masquerade staff couldn't believe it, and all our participants cheered since those who've been with us before know how big a deal that is!

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »
One more video to post~!

~ "Yukkuri, Danmaku Fights, and Panel Lines @ AnimeNEXT 2013!"

And actually, it's good you were on the late side - cons tend to be kinda bad about having all-ages options later in the evening so I love that there were other panels for everyone.... even if it means you all missed out on MY 18+ panel  :V

I hadn't even thought of this, but it makes for a very good point indeed~ :o