Author Topic: New official manga announced, "Forbidden Scrollery"  (Read 87273 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
New official manga announced, "Forbidden Scrollery"
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »
ZUN has just announced on Twitter a new official manga serialization.

Here's a blog post that has embedded ZUN's tweets about the manga, including a photo of the magazine page saying the serialization will begin next month.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/noegasukida/archives/17920028.html

The new manga will be serialized in the Comptiq Ace monthly magazine. ZUN said he can't drink together with the mangaka, meaning the mangaka is younger than 20.

The name can only be partially seen from the photo: 東方鈴XX ~ Forbidden xxx.

(鈴 means "bell".)

EDIT:
We should know about the full name of the manga in a few days.

The full-sized magazine shot:
http://p.twpl.jp/show/orig/3Kfif
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:29:13 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Swiftwater

• Licking sweet bean paste, filled with sweet bean paste!!
  • You can even taste it on the outside...
Re: New official manga announced, name still a mystery
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »
Yea, I saw that in the TH fb page.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »
Hope there's a new character introduced!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
The blog post mentions something about being curious about a new character.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 02:13:44 PM »
This has shown up on the internet, and it is awesome.

Another pic.

東方鈴奈庵 ~ Forbidden Scrollery.

庵 may mean:
A small thatched hut of a monk.
A Buddhist convent.
A scholar's residence.

Artist:
春河もえ Moe Harukawa (female)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:30:40 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: New official manga announced, "Forbidden Scrollery"
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
New album, and now a new manga series? This is awesome. I love that ZUN doesn't feel obliged to bang out game after game, but will also take the time to indulge in other creative endeavors. Good on him. Looking forward to reading this!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
I love that ZUN doesn't feel obliged to bang out game after game, but will also take the time to indulge in other creative endeavors. Good on him. Looking forward to reading this!

Same here. Although, I must add that I'm glad that having an ambiguous "normal" job and being married hasn't slowed ZUN down~! :3

Anyway, as for the upcoming manga itself, I'm keeping an open mind with this one (as with just about all of the items that ZUN pumps out)...

I'm not really going to speculate much yet myself, since a title such as "Forbidden Scrollery" is too vague, I think, and can be taken in many different directions; the artwork is very old-fashioned and interesting, but still very vague, too, and just goes with the title while not really adding much detail~

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 03:46:26 PM »
That one-eyed creature looks  a bit out-of-place for the series...

Anyway, it's nice to know that the blog teased the possibility of there being a new character!

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
It's most likely this would involve a new character since (I think) each series has at least a new character.

If I were to guess what this'll be about I'd guess magic, the witches and so forth since im getting "Magic Library" vibes from the picture, either that or im hoping it's to do with the Occult Club.

Has this Mangaka done anything prior to this or is this her first work?

HGH

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »
That one-eyed creature looks  a bit out-of-place for the series...
Perhaps it's some sort of traditional youkai? We've seen some of them in SoPM after all.

Has this Mangaka done anything prior to this or is this her first work?

Searched far and wide for the name but couldn't find anything. Do most mangakas have much on their resume before the age of 20?

As for the picture, I'm interested by the gramophone, since Akyu happens to own one as well, but I guess anyone could have just found it too.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »
Ooh, interesting.  I can't wait till it comes out.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
I'd say this is a good reason to look forward to Christmas; even if release date is the day after. XD

Looking forward to this~

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 07:57:49 PM »
Don't care about the manga itself, but I hope that if there's a new character, ZUN will put her in his next game. Can't fight the lunarians, can't fight Kasen, and I'm sick of it. <_<
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »
Thanks for the news, cuc. I've moved this to Front Page Headlines instead of TARC so that more people can see it.

RemiShama

• Imperial Scarlet Devil.
    • Scarlet Devil Mansion | Touhou italian forum
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »
Yeeey a new manga. x3
Visit my Touhou Italian Forum, nya.

Tengukami

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »
Don't care about the manga itself, but I hope that if there's a new character, ZUN will put her in his next game. Can't fight the lunarians, can't fight Kasen, and I'm sick of it. <_<

said the user named after one of many newly introduced characters.

ZING!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »
Yes, one that you can fight in a danmaku game. With new characters revealed outside of books, I'm worried that they might not show up in one, which is really all I'm interested in. <_<
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

ZING!

A newly introduced character that seems to be making her appearance rather known (especially in written works).

But yeah I'm personally hyped for the new book as well, because I'm curious what ZUN has in store for us in terms of what the story will be about.

There's been speculations as of this point that this may focus on Patchouli, the Earth Palace, or Akyuu so far. But of course this is too early to be guessing...

What I am very curious about though is what made ZUN decide to pick up this unknown girl who is too young to drink, to draw up a manga work for him?  Where did he find her? What made him decide to do this? It seems ZUN's been picking a lot of unknown artist lately and making them rise to notability with his written works.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Tengukami

New official manga announced, Forbidden Scrollery
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
For some reason, I actually like that ZUN has some characters that only appear in written works. He does this with only a handful of girls, and keeps churning out new girls for new games. I like that a few of them will be literary-only. Makes for me a more varied Gensokyan experience.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:43:54 PM by Tengukami »

PapillonReel

• Liquid Snake
  • I'm actually pretty patient.
Re: New official manga announced, Forbidden Scrollery
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »
For some reason, I actually like that ZUN has some characters that only appear in written works. He does this with only a handful of girls, and keeps churning out new girls for new games. I like that a few of them will be literary-only. Makes for me a more varied Gensokyan experience.

Yeah. Having characters unique to the print works gives them something different to identify with, and I appreciate that not every character ZUN introduces is a fighter - having a more peaceful perspective on Gensokyo shows off a side of it that you don't normally see in the main games when you're thick in the action. As long as they're fun, interesting characters, I don't mind if they only show up in the one story.

(That said: it's also pretty cool when ZUN ties both the Windows and written works together (a la Great Fairy Wars), but I can understand why that doesn't happen very often.)

On-topic: I'm really interested in seeing what ZUN has planned with this series. The manga he's published so far each had their own kind of flavour -  the Three Fairies stories were an episodic comedy, SSiB had Tactical Espionage Action?,  WaHH is a slice-of-life building up to a greater mystery - and the title and promo-art leave me with the impression that he's aiming for something more horror-ish this time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:34:27 PM by PapillonReel »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 03:38:48 PM »
This just dawned on me, but if you look carefully at all the creatures in that one image, the smoke they're emerging from seems to be coming off that book on the lower left.
Now, given the title of 'Forbidden Scrollery', and this new theory of mine, it seems to imply that the possible new character might well have the ability to bring art to life.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »
This just dawned on me, but if you look carefully at all the creatures in that one image, the smoke they're emerging from seems to be coming off that book on the lower left.
Now, given the title of 'Forbidden Scrollery', and this new theory of mine, it seems to imply that the possible new character might well have the ability to bring art to life.

It's not outside the Relm of possibility.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
Re: New official manga announced, Forbidden Scrollery
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »
and the title and promo-art leave me with the impression that he's aiming for something more horror-ish this time.

Oh, my, now, that's an idea I could really get behind; yes, that would be very interesting, indeed~ :3

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Tengukami

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11:20 PM »
it seems to imply that the possible new character might well have the ability to bring art to life.

So ZUN is putting Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings in his next game?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 10:59:53 PM »
Who knows? But the images seem to imply that ability at least.
Or perhaps it's a book-related power, such as making a book's content's real. Which would imply that book is a Youkai Compendium, or perhaps a transcription of the Hyakki Yako.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 02:23:28 AM »
Yay, a new manga! :D

I personally like the idea of a new manga, it looks like it'll be really great! Besides, a new manga means more canon and more character development. It makes me happy~

Zil

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 03:39:01 AM »
He's really cranking these things out, it seems. Though I haven't read any of the manga myself, it's interesting to see that ZUN is putting so much into the characters outside of the games. I think the fame of the series pretty much lets him take it wherever he wants, which is probably something he dreamed of being able to do before Touhou was so popular.

Relm
>=[

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 05:41:25 AM »

It's not outside the Relm of possibility.

Eko is a Touhou character, you heard it here first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKwsiywNHc0
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 04:46:10 AM »
The title and the pic leads me to think that the plot has something to do with sealed evil being released.

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 12:30:57 AM »
The title and the pic leads me to think that the plot has something to do with sealed evil being released.
Mima? It would be nice to have again this character  :)
EoSD-> Easy clear
PCB-> Normal mode clear (3cc)
MoF-> Stage 6 normal
TD-> Stage 5 normal