Author Topic: Touhou Fans IRL  (Read 25619 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Touhou Fans IRL
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »
It's quite a rare occurrence, yes, but it does happen, doesn't it?

During a discussion about renaming one of my friends, at an asian buffet:
Quote from: me and friends
>What's the name of that one... devil character? Scarlet something...

> Remilia. Her sister Flandre.

> Oh, right, Flandre. Her.

> Flandre.... I dunno, I don't think it suits me.

> Granted the rest of the final and extra bosses in Touhou sound quite Japanese.

Quote from: girl at different table
TOUHOUUU!

This has to be the first time in reality that I've encountered a fan of the series in real life :V
So what about you?

Conventions shouldn't count, but I guess I don't see why not?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Touhou Fans IRL
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »
I had a student once who was a bit of a Touhou fan because his brother was a fan as well and had attended the 2010 AnimeBoston Touhou panel. That was kind of neat, if a little weird because I know what his brother had seen me in.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:00:36 PM »
I've only met Touhou fans IRL at Otakon 2009. It was nice. Met Kilga, triangles and MJP, however briefly.

Outside of that, no one here has heard of it, let alone played it. Shame, really, but that'll likely change this summer.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »
Usually people I know have been introduced to Touhou either directly by me or have sort of seen it elsewhere and have connected the dots through me. One person in my japanese class is a Touhou fan, but I don't usually initiate conversation explicitly about it.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:53:09 PM »
> In computer lab
> Decides to attempt to NFNB PCB normal
> perfects Stage 3
WHAT THE **** MAN YOU'RE INSANE I CAN'T EVEN BEAT HER ON EASY
> doesn't die to Stage 4

Only people who know about it not through me all think I'm god-like at the games.
90 FPS SA normal via bombspam probably didn't help that very much though.

Zil

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 01:44:59 AM »
In the gaming club at my school there's one other guy who's played IN. Also a girl who knows of the series but I'm not sure how interested she is. She says her favorite character is "Sakura" (meaning Sakuya).

I met people at a con but that's unavoidable.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 01:53:39 AM »
I actually got into Touhou from the guys at school who are sort of the unofficial Game Club :V

They dropped it because of the whole game-overing to Easy Mode Cirno thing, but look where I am now!

Not that that means much :derp:

Sality

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 02:59:33 AM »
I know there are a lot of Touhou fans here in my country, but sadly only a (very) few/none around me.

I've been trying to introduce Touhou to my mates, but their reactions are somewhat around :
  • HAHAHA, LOLI, THIS GAME MUST BE LAME!
  • Oh shit, the graphic is like something made before 20's. There is no way in hell I'm gonna play it.
  • Dude, you play game such as this ? What's your cool graphic card for ?

Well, it makes me a one-man-army :V
There are also a lot of conventions, some of them featuring Touhou, but my lack of budget always succeed in preventing me to attend any. In short, aside from me and my friend (who introduced me to Touhou back then), surely there is none within my environment and scope.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:03:00 AM by Sality »

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 03:47:39 AM »
The only people I have Touhou conversations with are those that I introduced to Touhou.

However! A few friends - they aren't Touhou fans, but they like it sort of from what they know - have a surprising amount of peers who like Touhou.
Example: One friend mentioned Touhou, and some overhearers suddenly jumped into the conversation!
Another example: A friend was at a party when someone said, "I could be playing Touhou right now." That caused a chain reaction of "What?! You play Touhou too?!" Wish I could've been there, with that many Touhou fans!

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:29 AM »
High School, I was the one who introduced my friends into the series.

In Uni, when I was at Mac, I met a nice group of people who were aware (one that goes to the cons in Japan) so it was nice.

When I moved to U of T, I found Suikama and others he introduced Touhou to

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:01:06 AM »
The first time I ever met Touhou fans IRL was at Kilgamayan's Touhou panel at Anime Boston last year.  (by the way, going to AB and the panel again this year :3).  Since then, I've gotten several of my friends into Touhou, so now I've got quite a few IRL Touhou fan friends now.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 07:29:44 AM »
Met a guy at club who had played EoSD (1cc), SWR, and some of the fan games.  Thinking he was still new as he was a bit excitable and seemed to be talking about fanon.  Also, met some cool cats from here at an expo.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 08:53:25 AM »
When I went to medical school I talked a bit with this Asian guy called "Tin" who was an almost prodigious genius at the whole ordeal; he rarely studied yet always aced the exams, regardless, he was quite a bit into anime and also liked Touhou.

At that point I was no Touhou fan, but I was a fan of anime, yet I didn't reveal that to him since it was one of my more embarassing hobbies... much to my regret to this day.

Regardless, due to him I now (probably wrongly) associate anyone who plays Touhou with having a superior intellect.  :V

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
I don't think I ever met anyone here who's a fan of touhou, let alone know what the heck it is. It'd be neat to find someone to share my thoughts with in real life, but I'm aware that I may never find that person any time soon (if at all) :V
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Avan Nozomi

• Look, it's a Rawrgna!
  • 何が遠い旅行ですか?
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »
I was dressed up as Yukari for WonderCon in San Francisco last year and I met a Ran cosplayer there. Other than that, I haven't met any other Touhou fans anywhere.
I can see the glory cause I wipe my tears
All part of the same thing be signed
I really want to feel delight
Even if I live in dying dreams
-Truly Glory, by FELT

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
First IRL Touhou fan I met was in my Japanese class at uni last year. I did a presentation on it one day as a cultural project, and afterwards we proceeded to talk a bit about the TH13 demo and how to get the grips of Youmu's playstyle. Alas we haven't talked or had contact since then.

Typically I'm the one to introduce Touhou to others. Most aren't really into the cast and gamestyle (a few have called it a Galaga clone), but when I switch over to the Touhou GTA mod, their response is considerably more supportive. :V

...expecting to meet quite a few more fans at AB next week :D
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 07:15:27 PM »
Haven't really met any fans of Touhou here (yet), but I did run into one person who at least knows what it is. We were working on a project for an art history class, and she randomly starts playing the third movement of Beethoven's Pathetique on the piano in the room. Naturally, I parsed this as Remilia's theme at first and said so out loud. Oops. :ohdear:

So that sparked a short conversation, in which she mentioned that some of her friends drew Touhou art sometimes, but she wasn't really into the series herself. Partial victory?

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
The only Touhou fans I met were cosplayers at an anime con so it was only natural.  And some people who noticed that my doll was wearing a Reimu outfit (I got bored and crocheted it for her...then some people noticed her after I was checked out and it was too hot to put her in the car until I left).

I did try to get others into it myself with minimal success.  My ex was not very interested and got irritated when I talked about it at times and my one friend played a bit but didn't really get into it deeply.  Though I do have a penpal who got me into it but that's not face to face conversation/can play the multiplayer games without using the internet.

Project: J-ko

• I'm not saying it was Jiang Shi...
  • ...but it was Jiang Shi.
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
A friend and I stumbled onto Touhou at the same time ("Who stole the precious what now?  Huh.  Wait, these are games?!"), so I've always kind of known another Touhou fan.

And then at Anime Boston when Kilga started running the Touhou panels, I met people there who I'd then bump into online or at other cons.  Thus began the era of my Touhou network.

..."network" having the definition of the like five people who like my occasional Touhou related postings on Facebook.
I guess hopping ghosts are kind of like monsters...

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
Whenever I mention Touhou to peopel at my schoo, some of them go "Touhou? That sounds familiar...". It's probably because ~70% of my school is Asian. :V

People that are new to Touhou usually find it fun once I let them play it for the first time, but none of them are turning into fans anytime soon.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 01:52:56 AM »
I know there are a lot of Touhou fans here in my country, but sadly only a (very) few/none around me.

I've been trying to introduce Touhou to my mates, but their reactions are somewhat around :
  • HAHAHA, LOLI, THIS GAME MUST BE LAME!
  • Oh shit, the graphic is like something made before 20's. There is no way in hell I'm gonna play it.
  • Dude, you play game such as this ? What's your cool graphic card for ?

Well, it makes me a one-man-army :V
There are also a lot of conventions, some of them featuring Touhou, but my lack of budget always succeed in preventing me to attend any. In short, aside from me and my friend (who introduced me to Touhou back then), surely there is none within my environment and scope.
this, basically

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
There was a friend of mine back in high school who happened to be a Touhou fan. I didn't know this until he randomly mentioned it to me and we got into a full conversation about it. He even has a picture of Eirin and Patchouli as his avatar on MSN.

And just recently, we got a new member at my college's Anime/Gaming Club. While chatting with him I said  that I've yet to meet someone who knows about Touhou. He did. Cue full conversation.

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »
High School, I was the one who introduced my friends into the series.

In Uni, when I was at Mac, I met a nice group of people who were aware (one that goes to the cons in Japan) so it was nice.

When I moved to U of T, I found Suikama and others he introduced Touhou to

Does the T stand for Toronto or Texas?

One of my TA last year had used a Tenshi avatar on our course discussion board. I was quite surprised, needless to say.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
Does the T stand for Toronto or Texas?

One of my TA last year had used a Tenshi avatar on our course discussion board. I was quite surprised, needless to say.
Toronto, seeing that I'm in Canada :V

D8ms

• Oriental
    • saigyouji.net
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
Toronto, seeing that I'm in Canada :V

I looked in your profile before asking, but it simply said you lived at Chireiden. Regardless, I feel slightly less lonely with respect to touhou fandom now.
Currently sitting at Robarts doing assigments; now that I think about it, MotK is doing quite a good job distracting me from focusing on it  :V

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 02:40:45 PM »
I looked in your profile before asking, but it simply said you lived at Chireiden. Regardless, I feel slightly less lonely with respect to touhou fandom now.
Currently sitting at Robarts doing assigments; now that I think about it, MotK is doing quite a good job distracting me from focusing on it  :V
I'm at the Mississauga Campus though, not exactly in Toronto, beside it

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »
I've only met Touhou fans IRL at Otakon 2009. It was nice. Met Kilga, triangles and MJP, however briefly.

Outside of that, no one here has heard of it, let alone played it. Shame, really, but that'll likely change this summer.
I was there too! Still, I wasn't a member of the community yet and since I had done absolutely nothing to stand out that year, it's not like I was inclined to know many of you, nor did I do much to have anyone remember me.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 04:25:45 PM »
Not many Touhou fans around where I live. There is one that I made though. :D Other than him, and a fellow Touhou fan I visited last summer though, nothing.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 07:41:45 PM »
One time, in a Latin class I took a year ago, a girl who had already established herself as something of an anime and manga nerd or otaku or whatever, walked past my desk while humming U.N Owen Was Her very distinctly.

At this time, I actually hadn't played a Touhou game, I knew very well what it was and how cool the music was and had planned on playing it but just never got around to it.

I turn to her and say in a perplexed voice "U.N Owen Was Her?" and she responds with a shocked look and asks "How the hell do you know that?", flattering... :V

I respond by saying "I knew you'd be a Touhou fan" based purely on her track record.

She then proceeded to quiz me on the series in general, which I got a fair amount right and a fair amount wrong due to not having played any of the games at the time.

Later on in the week I decided to finally get around to playing Touhou, since it had all but slipped my mind until she hummed that song, the girl basically galvanized me into becoming the Touhou fan that I am today.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
Lol that's awesome

I'm going to hijack the intercom sometime soon with UN Owen Was Her and then tell everyone who recognizes it to immediately go to the library. Touhou party!! :getdown:

Watch there be three or four people :fail: