Author Topic: What painting program do you use?  (Read 5784 times)

natten20

• Faith, Hope and Love
What painting program do you use?
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »
Hi.

I'm just wondering what paining program you use?

Edit:oh and also what is the best skin color? type it in hex plz
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:44:05 PM by natten20 »

Re: What painting program do you use?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:39:59 PM »
I use Sai and Gimp. Sai for linework and shading, and Gimp for effects.
(Yeah, I'm a cheapskate)
Of course I hand-draw and scan everything first.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
Pixelmator (Mac OS X). While it's paid software (US$30), it is an excellent program for those who are overwhelmed by Photoshop's price, learning curve, and (especially on Mac) lack of platform optimization. For me, it does almost everything I need it to do.

For Windows, I recommend Paint.NET along with a couple of plugins you can get on its forums. Very potent, free, and versatile.

Any platform: Gimp (raster - eg. Photoshop), Inkscape (vector - eg. Illustrator), and Synfig (animation - eg. Flash Pro). They don't work nearly as well on OS X, though.

That being said I prefer drawing and colouring by hand, and use digital editing for post-processing and Photoshopping.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:55:39 PM »
Mostly SAI nowadays. I don't like drawing in Photoshop, but painting can be ok. SAI is a bit limited, so I have to use PS for fancier effects, text and other things anyway.
All comic pages are drawn and inked on paper, though.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »
I do everything from initial blocking/drafting through final shading in SAI nowadays, using PS only for text, rain effects and other stuff that needs filters, gradients over large areas, and things like that.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Ross

• Amateur Touhou Fanatic
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:34:19 AM »
I generally use Paint.net for things like editing sprites (it's almost PERFECT for sprite editing/creating, and is free), and I pretty much use GIMP (which is also free) for everything else.  Although GIMP isn't quite as advanced as Photoshop, it is quite a bit easier to use.

Yep, I'm cheap.   :V

I don't really do a lot of picture creating though.

pineyappled

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »
SAI. It's relatively cheap ($50) and runs much faster than Photoshop on a shitty computer. Absolutely completely terrible for pixel art, but it's great for drawing and coloring. The blur tool actually works. It can't save as transparent PNGs, but a free program like Paint.net can fix that quickly enough. It's also very easy to use.

JT

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 02:08:36 AM »
SAI gets it done. Cheap, lightweight, easy to use.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 02:13:02 AM »
SAI is pretty good. If you have a tablet, the stabilizer/smoother works wonders. The brushes are easily customizable.
One downside is there aren't any filters like you would find in Paint.NET, Gimp, or Photoshop, but besides that it's pretty nifty!

It can't save as transparent PNGs, but a free program like Paint.net can fix that quickly enough.
Actually, the latest version can do that, too!

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
I use le photoshop for special effects and SAI for smooooooth lines :3. It would be awesome if photoshop's brush tools were like SAI's. Smoooooooth and has stabilizer/smoothing tools. I want to create comics and draw standalone pictures without constantly using the pen tool. Does anyone know a PS plugin that can handle that? ✩ I do know lines in SAI and photoshop are composed of circles.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »
Why hasn't anyone mentioned MS Paint?

SAI.
It's the only thing to use.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »
I generally use Paint.net for things like editing sprites (it's almost PERFECT for sprite editing/creating, and is free), and I pretty much use GIMP (which is also free) for everything else.  Although GIMP isn't quite as advanced as Photoshop, it is quite a bit easier to use.

Yep, I'm cheap.   :V

I don't really do a lot of picture creating though.
Fellow Paint.NET user! High five!

Yeah, that's pretty much the only program I use. I can't buy any of those fancy copies of Photoshop, because I don't think my parents will allow me too.  :(

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
GIMP since I use Linux a lot.

I should probably get around to getting SAI, but I'm just cheap sometimes =P

I should also get a tablet too.

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »
So many SAI users....

I'm a graphic designer by profession but I do art sometimes too.

In both cases, I use Photoshop and Illustator for most of my work. I tend to understand how to use the program inside and out pretty well since I do some pretty good cel-shading art and effects.

Course I also have close connections with a teacher who's a friend of mine I known for years. So I can get my Adobe programs for real cheap through him. ^^
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »
Hmmm. Is there any actual differences with the quality from using different programs?

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 04:40:46 PM »
The differences aren't so much the quality, as the methods you use to get it, if that makes sense. They have different tools in them too, SAI has a line-smoothing tool (Which is very useful if like me, you use a mouse), GIMP and Photoshop have various effects you can apply to pictures. I don't know about any others...
But while you can achieve the same level of quality o matter what program you use (Except MS paint :V), it can be easier or harder to do certain things with each one.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:35 AM »
I've used a lot of junk but, only about three remain of constant use in my adventures in arting and junk;

-MSPaint
-GIMP
-Ultimate Paint

Before I got my new computer, I often used Ultimate Paint for line work and ported it over to gimp for coloring/effects and shit. But after I started using actual paintbrushes in gimp I kinda...moved away from Pencil tools entirely. As of now, I draw mainly in MSPaint and since I can't color for crap, I kinda just use it for linework and that's it. MSPaint and UP have always been useful to me when I was heavily involved in the spriting community a couple years ago. Someone tried to turn me on to Inkscape a loooong time ago, and I just couldn't really get into it. I have heard good things about SAI and want to try it sometime, if I ever get the chance to nab it for myself.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 12:42:47 AM »
Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW/Painter although I do mostly vector work (web design/etc).

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 01:05:52 AM »
I don't really make digital art a lot 'cuz it usually ends up looking crappy...
But if I do, I use Adobe Photoshop CS4.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 05:28:01 AM »
Mainly Painter and SAI. I use Photoshop as well for any final tweaks or adjustments that the other two cannot do.

The more I use SAI, the more I'm happier with it, really. The tools just have a nicer feel to them, and the program runs a lot better. (*sigh* I really should get around to getting newer versions of Photoshop and Painter at some point..)

yorihime999

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 07:52:31 AM »
I use SAI and Photoshop.  :wikipedia: