Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 3)  (Read 49097 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 3)
« Reply #750 on: July 15, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »
>Glance around, see if we can see somewhere a bit less crowded within range.

« Reply #751 on: July 15, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
>Glance around, see if we can see somewhere a bit less crowded within range.

>It's not particularly crowded where you are and there are several places a short distance away that are relatively private, either off the beaten path or behind shops.

« Reply #752 on: July 15, 2011, 11:53:11 PM »
>Gesture 'off the beaten path'.
>"Away from public ears, if it's all the same to you."

« Reply #753 on: July 16, 2011, 12:19:23 AM »
>Gesture 'off the beaten path'.
>"Away from public ears, if it's all the same to you."

>You gesture to a isolated spot somewhere nearby.
>"Of course," she says, a hint of a frown forming on her face.

« Reply #754 on: July 16, 2011, 12:28:32 AM »
>Once we get to said spot,
>"I don't know if you'd heard since you got out here, but there'd been some cows out here dissapearing recently. I came out here to investigate, see if I could get to the bottom of it. And I think I have, but I ended up finding more than just cattle rustlers. Something I'm not certain I can handle alone. That's why I came looking for you. I want your help."

« Reply #755 on: July 16, 2011, 04:17:09 AM »
>Once we get to said spot,
>"I don't know if you'd heard since you got out here, but there'd been some cows out here dissapearing recently. I came out here to investigate, see if I could get to the bottom of it. And I think I have, but I ended up finding more than just cattle rustlers. Something I'm not certain I can handle alone. That's why I came looking for you. I want your help."

>You walk over the location you gestured at and then lay out your preamble.
>Lunasa's expression grows yet more serious. "What did you find?"

« Reply #756 on: July 16, 2011, 04:28:26 AM »
>"Spiders. Giant spiders. Some of them bigger than some horses I've seen. And one nasty type that can spit acid up to at least 10 feet away. I'd have a hole in my back, if I didn't have so good a sense of hearing. As it was, I picked up this in the proces."
>Point to our shoulder. "Was a lot nastier before Minoriko patched me up."
>"The point is, I had to kill three that ambushed me, and that was before I even found their lair. Heaven only knows how many's waiting there. I've got more supplies now, so they won't catch me unprepared again, but I don't like my prospects if I have to face three times that many, on their own turf. Marisa may be Seeker enough to handle everything like that on her own, but I recognize when I might be getting in over my head. At least if I'm by myself."
>"I know you have your show tonight, but you're also the best in town I can ask. Hell, you may be my only hope, at that. Will you help me?"

« Reply #757 on: July 16, 2011, 04:39:24 AM »
>"Spiders. Giant spiders. Some of them bigger than some horses I've seen. And one nasty type that can spit acid up to at least 10 feet away. I'd have a hole in my back, if I didn't have so good a sense of hearing. As it was, I picked up this in the proces."
>Point to our shoulder. "Was a lot nastier before Minoriko patched me up."
>"The point is, I had to kill three that ambushed me, and that was before I even found their lair. Heaven only knows how many's waiting there. I've got more supplies now, so they won't catch me unprepared again, but I don't like my prospects if I have to face three times that many, on their own turf. Marisa may be Seeker enough to handle everything like that on her own, but I recognize when I might be getting in over my head. At least if I'm by myself."
>"I know you have your show tonight, but you're also the best in town I can ask. Hell, you may be my only hope, at that. Will you help me?"

>You explain the situation, offering your shoulder as a convenient visual aid. Lunasa's expression continues to darken as you speak, looking downright grim by the end.
>"Can you estimate how many there might be?" she asks. "And where is this lair of theirs? Did you see inside it at all?"

« Reply #758 on: July 16, 2011, 04:47:33 AM »
>"There were at least four, maybe five spiders moving outside their lair that I saw or heard after I escaped that ambush. I was afraid they'd overwhelm me as it was, so I got out of there after that. I didn't see anymore of the large spiders or spitters, but I'd bet my tail there's more of 'em in or around the lair."
>"And I didn't actually see the lair itself, I didn't get that close. But the acid they spit has a particular smell, that's what I was tracking. I was getting closer to its source, or at least a very strong concentration of it, when I was almost swarmed. I can find it again, and this time, one way or the other, I'll be ready."

« Reply #759 on: July 16, 2011, 04:51:41 AM »
>"There were at least four, maybe five spiders moving outside their lair that I saw or heard after I escaped that ambush. I was afraid they'd overwhelm me as it was, so I got out of there after that. I didn't see anymore of the large spiders or spitters, but I'd bet my tail there's more of 'em in or around the lair."
>"And I didn't actually see the lair itself, I didn't get that close. But the acid they spit has a particular smell, that's what I was tracking. I was getting closer to its source, or at least a very strong concentration of it, when I was almost swarmed. I can find it again, and this time, one way or the other, I'll be ready."

>"Yes, but where was this place?" she repeats.

« Reply #760 on: July 16, 2011, 04:53:45 AM »
>Describe the layout of the area we fled from, and the rough location of the strong scent source.

« Reply #761 on: July 16, 2011, 05:19:34 AM »
>Describe the layout of the area we fled from, and the rough location of the strong scent source.

>You describe the location and the path you took to get there. Lunasa is silent for a few moments after you finish explaining.
>"That's a considerable distance into untamed territory," she says, "facing an unknown number of provably dangerous creatures. You admit you have no idea of their numbers, nor the size or layout of their lair to estimate. That's a great deal to expect can be slotted neatly into a few hour window."

« Reply #762 on: July 16, 2011, 05:36:02 AM »
>"I realize I'm asking a lot, believe me, I do. But the longer those spiders are there, the chances that they're going to move from attacking cows to attacking people grows more and more. I'm not prepared to let that happen. I'm prepared to go back by myself, if I have to. But since I knew you were here, a Seeker more experienced than I am, I had to ask. Any chance of improving the odds, I had to take."

« Reply #763 on: July 16, 2011, 05:50:17 AM »
>"I realize I'm asking a lot, believe me, I do. But the longer those spiders are there, the chances that they're going to move from attacking cows to attacking people grows more and more. I'm not prepared to let that happen. I'm prepared to go back by myself, if I have to. But since I knew you were here, a Seeker more experienced than I am, I had to ask. Any chance of improving the odds, I had to take."

>"You said they've been responsible for cattle disappearances, yes? How long has this been going on and how close to town have they been sighted?"

« Reply #764 on: July 16, 2011, 05:52:06 AM »
>Recount what we know on that matter.

« Reply #765 on: July 16, 2011, 06:38:28 AM »
>Recount what we know on that matter.

>You recount the details of situation. Lunasa listens attentively, occasionally asking for a point of clarification or additional detail. She is silent for a few moments after you finish, then lets go a heavy breath.
>"If we leave now, I think we're taking a real gamble that we can make our concert time at all. Even if we left this very moment, it's at least an hour's round trip and then a very uncertain length of time to deal with the problem, given that you have no idea whether we're facing 3 or 30 or 300. And this presumes that none of us get too injured to perform, which sounds like a real possibility from what you describe."
>She sighs. "I don't mean to sound callous and I share your concern for the well-being of the village, but I'm not certain that anyone here is in urgent danger. The spiders have made no attacks upon farmers when they've clearly had opportunity. In fact, I think it's fair to say that they've taken steps to actively avoid them, or someone would have seen them already. We shouldn't discount that."
>"If we're to deal with a problem like this, we can't afford to be rushed. Haste could well get someone seriously hurt. We'll need to scout the their lair itself so that we know better what we're up against and can make sure everyone is prepared for it. If you're willing to wait until tomorrow morning, we may be able to assist you. I don't believe anyone here will be put in danger because of this."

« Reply #766 on: July 16, 2011, 07:30:35 AM »
>Take a moment to consider her words.
>"What you say makes a lot of sense. To be honest, the thought has occured to me, as well, about the spiders' avoiding human contact. I haven't been able to work that part out myself yet, if these are just beasts. And as much as I'm not sure I can handle this solo, the thought of simply leaving them out there doesn't sit quite right with me."
>Take another moment.
>"How does this sound to you? Like you said, the more information we have, the better. So I'll go back out there myself now, to see if I can get a look at the lair itself. I'm better prepared to defend myself now, if I have to, and I've already proven that I can get away from them if I get overwhelmed. Even better, they seem reluctant to follow me too far."
>"If it turns out not to be as bad as it could be, I might be able to handle things on my own. And if I get in over my head, I'll beat feet and come back here with more information."

« Reply #767 on: July 16, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »
>Take a moment to consider her words.
>"What you say makes a lot of sense. To be honest, the thought has occured to me, as well, about the spiders' avoiding human contact. I haven't been able to work that part out myself yet, if these are just beasts. And as much as I'm not sure I can handle this solo, the thought of simply leaving them out there doesn't sit quite right with me."

>"I understand," she says. "I know this is where you grew up, too. If I was in your place, I'd probably feel the same."

>"How does this sound to you? Like you said, the more information we have, the better. So I'll go back out there myself now, to see if I can get a look at the lair itself. I'm better prepared to defend myself now, if I have to, and I've already proven that I can get away from them if I get overwhelmed. Even better, they seem reluctant to follow me too far."
>"If it turns out not to be as bad as it could be, I might be able to handle things on my own. And if I get in over my head, I'll beat feet and come back here with more information."

>Lunasa nods. "I think that sounds sensible. I'm sure I don't need to say this, but make sure not to overextend yourself. If you have doubts, don't hesitate to withdraw. You've nothing to prove here."

« Reply #768 on: July 16, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
>Why has everyone we've met today told us not to try too hard, or be a hero, or something? You'd think we were fragile, or somethin'.
>"But you're wrong. I do have something to prove. Not just to myself, but to Marisa, and to Ichirin. One day, I'll be every bit the Seeker Marisa is- maybe even overtake her, and I mean to start now. And Ichirin... She has faith in me. Not just because I'm a Seeker, but in me. I may not live here anymore, but I'm not about to let her down."
>"None of that, however, means I'm some gung-ho glory seeker. I wasn't afraid to cut and run last time, when I had to, and I'm not afraid to do it again. I ain't much good to no one stuck in a coccoon on some big spider's web."

« Reply #769 on: July 16, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »
>Why has everyone we've met today told us not to try too hard, or be a hero, or something? You'd think we were fragile, or somethin'.
>"But you're wrong. I do have something to prove. Not just to myself, but to Marisa, and to Ichirin. One day, I'll be every bit the Seeker Marisa is- maybe even overtake her, and I mean to start now. And Ichirin... She has faith in me. Not just because I'm a Seeker, but in me. I may not live here anymore, but I'm not about to let her down."
>"None of that, however, means I'm some gung-ho glory seeker. I wasn't afraid to cut and run last time, when I had to, and I'm not afraid to do it again. I ain't much good to no one stuck in a coccoon on some big spider's web."

>You could always prove them wrong! Or would that be missing the point entirely...?
>Lunasa's frown deepens as you declare that you indeed have something to prove. She looks about to say something, but then stops.
>"Quite right," she says, when you finish. "Don't take what I said the wrong way; I have faith in your competence. My apologies."

« Reply #770 on: July 16, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »
>Casual wave of the hand.
>"s'alright. I appreciate the sentiment."
>"I suppose we both best be getting back to work, though. You've got a show to do, and I've got some walking to do."
>Small grin. "But if you've got a bit of spare luck lying around, I wouldn't mind borrowing it."

« Reply #771 on: July 16, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
>Casual wave of the hand.
>"s'alright. I appreciate the sentiment."
>"I suppose we both best be getting back to work, though. You've got a show to do, and I've got some walking to do."

>She nods. "Good hunting to you."

>Small grin. "But if you've got a bit of spare luck lying around, I wouldn't mind borrowing it."

>"You might want to ask Lyrcia about that one," she says, sounding just a touch sardonic. "I don't think fortune and I get along very well."

« Reply #772 on: July 16, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
>Not the broadest sense of humor on this one.
>"Well, I'll try to bring some back for you, then."
>Get to steppin'. Like she said, we got a lot of ground to cover.

« Reply #773 on: July 16, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »
>Not the broadest sense of humor on this one.
>"Well, I'll try to bring some back for you, then."
>Get to steppin'. Like she said, we got a lot of ground to cover.

>You're not sure you've ever seen Lunasa be anything other than serious on those occasions you've spoken.
>"You'd best keep it for yourself, I think," she says in a neutral tone.
>You part ways and head back towards the pastures, moving west through the village center than then following the road north. Reaching the southern edge of them, you note that they seem more empty than earlier today. There are still cows in sight, but most definitely fewer herds present.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #774 on: July 16, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
>Do we suspect this is just part of the herds roving through the day?

« Reply #775 on: July 16, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »
>Do we suspect this is just part of the herds roving through the day?

>You suppose it's possible; you certainly can't see nearly the whole of the pastures at the moment due to the slope of the terrain. Still, it does seem a bit conspicuous.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #776 on: July 16, 2011, 11:51:43 AM »
>Shit.
>Any spider-like odors in the air?

« Reply #777 on: July 16, 2011, 11:55:02 AM »
>Shit.
>Any spider-like odors in the air?

>This isn't terribly reassuring...
>You get a good sniff of the air. You don't smell anything out of place - chiefly grass and cow - and certainly no distinct whiff of the scent you were tracking in the woods earlier.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #778 on: July 16, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
>Well, there's always one other way...
>Look around for fresh and close to fresh cowpats, and see if there is much of a pattern to where they are or lead in a particular direction.

« Reply #779 on: July 17, 2011, 12:20:40 AM »
>Well, there's always one other way...
>Look around for fresh and close to fresh cowpats, and see if there is much of a pattern to where they are or lead in a particular direction.

>Grumbling just a little to yourself, you scan about the pasture for fresh cow dung. Finding some is not difficult, although it's hard to immediately tell any pattern to it, given how freely many of the herds wander.There is some among the southernmost ends of the fields, at any rate, suggesting they didn't all disappear northward.