Author Topic: Probably general what anime you watching now thread.  (Read 117436 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Probably general what anime you watching now thread.
« Reply #660 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
Mirai Nikki 15

The OP's gone from god tier to dog tier.

Eh? I thought this OP was a huge improvement over the shouty noise of the original. Still vaguely reminiscent of Rozen Maiden, but more enjoyable.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #661 on: January 23, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
Eh? I thought this OP was a huge improvement over the shouty noise of the original. Still vaguely reminiscent of Rozen Maiden, but more enjoyable.
It's more the animation I'm complaining about, the music's fine (though I still prefer the OP1 theme by a large margin). Mainly I'm just sore they took the awesome part from the end of the first OP and defaced it by splitting it into 3 and playing it at WARP SPEED.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #662 on: January 29, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »
Mouretsu Pirates this week: I highly approve of electronic devices that are activated by smashing a big red button with your fist  :]

Drake

« Reply #663 on: January 29, 2012, 09:08:03 AM »
Man though. For a very, very relaxed anime that is currently focused on the high-school girls half, it's really very well-balanced and nice. The OP definitely catches people off-guard because they're expecting fucking random lasers and shouting and pirate fights of awesomeness, but it definitely is still really enjoyable and obviously has a crapload of room to grow. This was probably the first episode where Marika has really shown a lot of prowess that isn't defined within the series' scope of electronic lingo. What's more is that said lingo is becoming easier to understand as they explore it. Some people seem to be like "man this is going way over my head" but as I mentioned before, it's supposed to. It's a giant fucking spaceship set in a world where they are obviously more advanced than you and the main character is a high-school girl who also isn't immediately familiar with everything. It's supposed to go slightly over your head, for now. If the lingo continues to expand and offer no hints or context as to what it means, then yeah, probably not that great. But for now it's already becoming clear and I'm becoming disappointed at the people who are dropping it because it's "too boring" or whatever. Honestly I'm closer to dropping Another than Pirates.

(ep 3 of another made it more interesting but simultaneously also blatantly went "this is where the series is going", which both turns me on and puts me off)

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #664 on: January 29, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »
Yeah, it's really nice how Pirates doesn't just go "Hi, we're on a spaceship, in space, now to the action",  it actually takes the time to show how things work in this space-setting. And it manages to be very entertaining at it. It's a very refreshing take on a space-ship-story.

Formless God

« Reply #665 on: January 29, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
I just watched all of Gurren Lagann

fuck that
Spoiler:
ending
man
Spoiler:
;_;

AxiamWolfe

• Virtual Jet Jockey too
  • 生存戦略!
« Reply #666 on: January 30, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
No love for the other Satelight shows, Senki Zesshou Symphogear and Aquarion EVOL? All three shows I look forward to watching every week!

Also Rinne no Lagrange. And Gundam AGE (now in second generation arc).

Good season for mecha/sci-fi anime.

Tengukami

« Reply #667 on: January 30, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »
This was probably the first episode where Marika has really shown a lot of prowess that isn't defined within the series' scope of electronic lingo.

I wanted to comment on this, because one of the things I'm enjoying about this show is Marika isn't some sort of Paul Atreides who just immediately understands how everything works and excels at it. She has good instincts, but has a poor grasp of tech, and we had the yacht club advisor calling her battle plans full of holes, but with a lot of promise. I find this a far more refreshing take than where creators usually go with these "child with a destiny" scenarios, where they drop behind the controls of the ship and just own at everything.

And anyone who's dropped this series because there've been no space battles at episode 4 of a 25-episode series is being ridiculous.

And the OP is so good, even my five-year-old sings along to it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #668 on: January 31, 2012, 12:47:33 AM »
This week in Guilty Crown:

Tsugumi is MISSILE KICK MOE and OMG MULTIPLICITY.
now that is an awesomely useful Void, talk about being multipurpose. Imagine if you can ask that thing to go to school for you man, like also, work in 3 different jobs and not have to share the paycheck because it will disappear when you put the Void back inside you.
It is like... totally abuse friendly.

fuck that sword, I want Tsugumi's Void.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #669 on: January 31, 2012, 01:26:08 AM »
Started Blue Exorcist. Ep 4, starting to get interesting.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #670 on: January 31, 2012, 03:50:53 AM »
Guilty Crown's writing is so bad, but it's so enjoyable and I love it.

Spoiler:
Oh man Shu, you're well on your way to becoming the fuhrer. HEIL, MEIN SHUHRER.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #671 on: January 31, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »
Guilty Crown's writing is so bad, but it's so enjoyable and I love it.

Spoiler:
Oh man Shu, you're well on your way to becoming the fuhrer. HEIL, MEIN SHUHRER.
Spoiler:
SIEG HEIL
I don't understand whats bad about its writing.
I did think the incestual relationship background that caused everyone's death was pretty derp tho
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Drake

« Reply #672 on: January 31, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
Spoiler:
It was that whole plot segment/revelation/device that did it. Not only was it pretty poorly executed, but it was a major portion of twelve episodes of plot then suddenly the writers dump a load of poo and run away. It ended up not really explaining anything important besides "this is what is happening right now lol flashback flashback" and then poof it's over in a rather unsatisfying fashion. 12 was a load of balls and screwed up the whole arc, pretty much.
Aside from that it's just a bit genre-conforming.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #673 on: January 31, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
yeah I guess, it does feel that way does it... I mean, the fact the semi-apocalypse all came from a
Spoiler:
failed incestual relationship
makes it kinda... ugh.

but I wish it were much better.

Started Ano Natsu
plot: Have you ever watched Onegai Teacher? yeah, this is EXACTLY THAT.
everything about it is basically Onegai Teacher, the whole thing, plot characters etc.
even the music sounds the same (without Kotoko's squeaky voice)

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
« Reply #674 on: January 31, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »
Mirai Nikki Ep. 16: Quite an exciting episode.
Spoiler:
Yukiteru's dad is kinda hilarious
Spoiler:
And then he turned into a bad guy

« Reply #675 on: February 01, 2012, 03:11:36 AM »
Thanks to my anime club, I'm now on the Symphogear bandwagon. It's a pretty interesting series, even if it starts off maybe a bit too dark. Also, Nana Mizuki OP song is instawin

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #676 on: February 01, 2012, 06:48:44 AM »
Ano Natsu is susprisingly good for a re-hash of Onegai Teacher, the song the quality of the animation is all amazing.
Really loved the ED song, so soothing~

Highschool DXD has diverted from the manga, thank god.
I like the anime more than the Manga already.

Formless God

« Reply #677 on: February 01, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
Nisemono 4.
Did Shinobu use 火蜂 on purpose ? While I know everybody's favorite TLB is 紅蜂, "hibachi" itself is already a rather ... specific word, no ? :V

Also watching Devil Survivor 2 Bokurano at the moment. Pacing is kind of slow and the early characters are bland, but the concept is very nice. Uninstall and Little Bird are sooooo good.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:25:26 AM by Anarchy Formless »

KFCbbQ

• Taking over the world.
« Reply #678 on: February 01, 2012, 10:47:58 AM »
Uninstall and Little Bird are sooooo good.
Then allow me to direct you to this fandub version of Uninstall wonderfully voiced in English~

Tengukami

« Reply #679 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »
Watched the first three episodes of Another. I really like the artwork and the music, but the writing is frustrating. One character after another asks the protag, "has anyone told you the terrible, terrible story of violence that happened in this very school?," he says no, and they say, "Oh, I see. Welp, bye now!" It's fun in its own way and pretty to look at though.

« Reply #680 on: February 01, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
Apparently I've been slacking a little too much on CCS (only just finished episode 22 today), so I figured I should also watch something else to help remind me.

Thus, Baccano! episode 1 finished...and I'm a bit confused at all these plot lines.
Spoiler:
I get that there are immortals among the cast, currently including Isaac, Firo, Luck, and Czeslaw, possibly Ladd if that injury was supposed to kill him; I also know there's some mafia-ish warfare. But where do all of these characters in the OP intersect? Are Miria, the other Gandors, Maiza, etc. immortal too? Who are Carol and the vice-director?

Guess I have to watch some more to find out.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #681 on: February 01, 2012, 11:48:43 PM »
Pretty much.  The first few episodes of Baccano! are going to be like plot/character soup until you can get a feel for the distinct storylines and how they all tie together.  I adore the show, but it takes a bit of time to really "get" it.

Formless God

« Reply #682 on: February 02, 2012, 05:53:03 AM »
Then allow me to direct you to this fandub version of Uninstall wonderfully voiced in English~
fan
Both the singing and lyrics were wonderful. Color me impressed.

EDIT: Finished. I'm kinda disappointed
Spoiler:
Ep.19
Spoiler:
had plot holes everywhere
. Still, the whole thing has been a unique experience.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:04:57 AM by Anarchy Formless »

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #683 on: February 03, 2012, 07:12:55 AM »
Quote from: datAmmyterasu
Watched the first three episodes of Another. I really like the artwork and the music, but the writing is frustrating. One character after another asks the protag, "has anyone told you the terrible, terrible story of violence that happened in this very school?," he says no, and they say, "Oh, I see. Welp, bye now!" It's fun in its own way and pretty to look at though.[/spoiler]

Guess I have to watch some more to find out.
but Another is basically a stage set for taboo, so essentially they do this because it is entirely taboo to talk about this.
Maybe it is a bit odd for you here, but try to imagine how politics is being talked about here in a country where political freedom is lacking.
yeah. don't joke about them presidents, they can send them black vans and shuttle you into the night and you shall never be seen again. In Another, I imagine they dare not say because later it has everything to do with association, everyone is afraid of this 'legend' and so it can only get worse with the protag asking about it.

episode 15 of Guilty Crown:

SEE THIS IS WHAT GAI WAS WARNING YOU ABOUT.
THIS IS WHAT YOU GET SHU FOR BEING AN INDECISIVE BENDING COWARDLY FUCKCUNT
Only Gods walk the path of heaven, not kind souls like you. Just as expected, I knew this was going to happen but whoah did it struck me hard.
Finally however, what I had been expecting from Shu is .... ahhhhh bliss.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:10:07 AM by ♛ ストラトス »

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Re: Probably general what manga you raging about now thread
« Reply #684 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-02-03/negima-magister-negi-magi-manga-to-end-in-3-more-chapters

WHAT

NO

NO NO NO

GODDAMMIT THINGS WERE GOING TO BE AWESOME WITH
Spoiler:
ASUNA GONE

Spoiler:
IF IT FINISHES WITH SOME CRAP ABOUT NEGI DECIDING TO WAIT 100 YEARS FOR ASUNA I AM GOING TO SURGICALLY REMOVE ANY POSITIVE MEMORIES I HAVE OF THIS SERIES

CAPS LOCK

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #685 on: February 03, 2012, 10:35:11 PM »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-02-03/negima-magister-negi-magi-manga-to-end-in-3-more-chapters

Took it long enough. I'm actually surprised that there's actually enough material for more than 1 now.

Spoiler:
ASUNA GONE

+1

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Re: Probably general what manga you reading now thread.
« Reply #686 on: February 04, 2012, 03:29:26 PM »
Drifters 1-26

So Nobunaga and Toyohisa
Spoiler:
are leading a revolt of elves with
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Spoiler:
to overthrow
Hitler's
Spoiler:
crumbling empire. A mysterious evil guy is laying waste to everything with an army including
Jeanne D'Arc, Anastasia Romanova, Rasputin
Spoiler:
and a fuckload of monsters.
Hannibal's
Spoiler:
been reduced to a mental wreck because
Scipio's
Spoiler:
gone missing.
Yoshitsune's
Spoiler:
in the background laughing at everyone.

This is pure genius.

Tengukami

« Reply #687 on: February 04, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
Episode 1 of Black Rock Shooter. Looks like they might be trying to go for the same thing they did with the movie, as far as plot goes. Only instead of jealousy between two friends, there's jealousy from a third party. I'm one of the dozen or so people who actually liked the BRS movie, so this eight-episode series is aimed at me, but the first episode seemed a little stiff to me. Not excruciatingly so; just a little clumsy in parts.

Also, for a season I thought would promise very little by way of anything good, I find I'm following seven series right now. How the hell did that happen?

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #688 on: February 04, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »

WHAT

NO

NO NO NO

Spoiler:
ASUNA GONE

Spoiler:
IF IT FINISHES WITH SOME CRAP ABOUT NEGI DECIDING TO WAIT 100 YEARS FOR ASUNA I AM GOING TO SURGICALLY REMOVE ANY POSITIVE MEMORIES I HAVE OF THIS SERIES

CAPS LOCK

SPOILERS

EVANGELINE END

BEST END

Episode 1 of Black Rock Shooter. Looks like they might be trying to go for the same thing they did with the movie, as far as plot goes. Only instead of jealousy between two friends, there's jealousy from a third party. I'm one of the dozen or so people who actually liked the BRS movie, so this eight-episode series is aimed at me, but the first episode seemed a little stiff to me. Not excruciatingly so; just a little clumsy in parts.

Also, for a season I thought would promise very little by way of anything good, I find I'm following seven series right now. How the hell did that happen?

That's because if you open your heart and expand your mind with me, you will find everything is watchable.
Don't be a hater yo, watch anime because you watch them~
(also, surprisingly, this season has a lot of watchable shows)

On another note, I see you are not watching Rinne no Lagrange~ you should. (it has zero fanservice, funny, robots, and actually funny characters and space~ the final frontier~)

Meanwhile, Black Rock Shooter seems to be the best thing yet, if you played the game you would find this TV version to be much more appealing than it should be. (not that it has much to do with it, since it seems like DeadMaster girl is a lesbo magnet no matter what happens)

Tengukami

« Reply #689 on: February 04, 2012, 06:45:54 PM »
That's because if you open your heart and expand your mind with me, you will find everything is watchable.
Don't be a hater yo, watch anime because you watch them~
(also, surprisingly, this season has a lot of watchable shows)

Ha, yeah, I don't actively hate some series, and am always boggled by people who do. Like, The Cart Driver followed and blogged about every single episode of Fractale, and just basically trashed each episode, whining about the different voice actors and complaining about plot points which could have been easily explained by actually paying attention. Why even do that? Just drop the series.

I'm still kinda picky about what I watch, because I have very little tolerance for clich? and mindless fanservice, but I'll definitely give anything a shot that doesn't look too stupid. Speaking of which:

On another note, I see you are not watching Rinne no Lagrange~ you should. (it has zero fanservice, funny, robots, and actually funny characters and space~ the final frontier~)

Meanwhile, Black Rock Shooter seems to be the best thing yet, if you played the game you would find this TV version to be much more appealing than it should be. (not that it has much to do with it, since it seems like DeadMaster girl is a lesbo magnet no matter what happens)

I looked at Rinne no Lagrange and was honestly on the fence about it. I might pick it up but seven series is already a lot for me to be following right now.

And yeah, I do enjoy BRS, even without having played the game. Maybe I'm more fascinated by how BRS came to be than anything else, but the first episode is promising, and won't be on for very long.