Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments XI - Lunatics Only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 147723 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Touhou Accomplishments XI - Lunatics Only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #480 on: May 08, 2011, 12:10:33 AM »
Finally, TD Lunatic Youmu 1cc.

Youmu feels so awkward. I know she's supposedly the best at scoring, but she's surprisingly little fun for me to play. I really, really wish that wasn't the case though.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #481 on: May 08, 2011, 12:30:12 AM »
Tried Lunatic PCB.
Died so many times due to 10x slower Raymoo. I did a perfect Youmu and Yuyuko run (after continuing) .

Yuyuko is.... a lot easier than Remilia. Her last spellcard was pretty boring compared to the hell EoSD was...
brb, gonna go get used to slow!Raymoo. 

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #482 on: May 08, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »
Still in the process of readjusting myself to SA (well, any game before TD actually). After several tries, pulled off a 1DNBNG run of Stage 5 Lunatic. Stupid death on the Ghost Wheels when I lost my focus for a split-second, but capturing Small Demon's Revival again was a pleasant surprise. I still have a ways to go with doing the rest of the game, never mind relearning the scoring paths, but I have more time to do this now.

Yuyuko is.... a lot easier than Remilia. Her last spellcard was pretty boring compared to the hell EoSD was...
Former is definitely true, but which "last card", the regular or survival? Resurrection Butterfly is still pretty legit if you ask me (perhaps it's more subtly difficult than Scarlet Gensokyo, but still).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #483 on: May 08, 2011, 02:24:21 AM »
EoSD, Reimu A, Lunatic, 1cc....
I still can't get over the fact that I actually did it. I've lost at Scarlet Gensokyo 12 times in Lunatic for the past month...
eh it's legit enough  :V and yeah good job!  now imma watch this replay to see if it's as bad as my 1cc was  :derp: 
Edit: wow that was some awsum dodging but uh not enough dying and bombing :p
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:42:48 AM by ShadyK »
2lazy2createbettersig

Paper Conan

• NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #484 on: May 08, 2011, 05:33:02 AM »
Former is definitely true, but which "last card", the regular or survival? Resurrection Butterfly is still pretty legit if you ask me (perhaps it's more subtly difficult than Scarlet Gensokyo, but still).
I'm talking about Resurrection Butterfly.
(it's probably because I've timed-out her Last Word in IN and/or it isn't a huge cluster-f of melting red magic trapping you to your death) :3
eh it's legit enough  :V and yeah good job!  now imma watch this replay to see if it's as bad as my 1cc was  :derp: 
Edit: wow that was some awsum dodging but uh not enough dying and bombing :p
I finished with no lives what are you talking about ;-;

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #485 on: May 08, 2011, 05:39:31 AM »
I finished with no lives what are you talking about ;-;
you've got 3 bombs tho.  I didn't have 3 bombs left  :V  besides you coulda finished with more lives if you bombed more anyway.  At least, i think you would have. Edit: well actually I'm surprised that you caped much more than I did but finished with the same amt of lives... Well I guess that happens sometimes. Either way have fun with pcb!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:37:25 AM by ShadyK »
2lazy2createbettersig

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #486 on: May 08, 2011, 06:31:52 AM »
Ten Desires Lunatic 1cc'd with all shots~

Youmu... Her slashes sometimes trivialize some stage parts. And it helped a lot in the Stage 3 boss whose name I still can't remember. She kept moving during the nonspells but Youmu has such horizontal range on those slashes...

It's like using Netherworld Team all over again (which I approve of~)

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #487 on: May 08, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »
I'm happy now. Finally, a UFO normal 1cc, done with ReimuA. I derped up a little bit at the end of Flying Fantastica, but still cleared it. Yay extra stage unlock!
Spoiler:
About freakin' time

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is what happens when I play at 12:00 at night. I have no idea.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:11:10 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #488 on: May 08, 2011, 09:16:35 AM »
(it's probably because I've timed-out her Last Word in IN and/or it isn't a huge cluster-f of melting red magic trapping you to your death)

You timed that out? Then no shit buddy. After IN's last word, the 80% reflowering in PCB give you a bit of a "meh, where's da bullets?" effect.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #489 on: May 09, 2011, 06:21:03 AM »
I'm on a roll now! UFO normal 1cc's with ReimuA, ReimuB, and SanaeA. (Marisa is another story. ;_;)
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #490 on: May 09, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »
Phantasm clear, AT! LONG! LAST!

Edit: Cleared PCB Extra with SakuyaB, as well. No replay, though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:54:04 PM by Trigo[NOM]etry »

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #491 on: May 09, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »
Finally captured Scarlet Meister, Hard Mode only, but at least I've got all Hard Mode Spellcards captured now. Feeling ready for the final push towards stage 6 on Lunatic now!

« Reply #492 on: May 09, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
So, what order should I take on SoEW, PoDD, LLS, MS, PoFV, and GFW Lunatics? Obviously, I'm not counting HRtP since I have no plans to take that one on. But I'm wondering which order I should take these 6 on.

I do wonder how long it'd take to learn the games enough to be able to 1cc them.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #493 on: May 09, 2011, 10:00:20 PM »
Gave PCB Lunatic a try....

Made it to Yuyuko's last spell before Resurrection Butterfly before I had to use a continue.

I may be on the verge of my very first Lunatic 1CC..... :o

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #494 on: May 10, 2011, 01:08:04 AM »
Holy crap holy crap Scarlet Meister captured!

Sorry, this was the only thing I could use for proof. I got so caught up in my excitement I forgot to take a picture of the "Get Spell Bonus" text. ::) You'll have to take my word for it that I did this on Lunatic.

Drake

« Reply #495 on: May 10, 2011, 02:14:30 AM »
This is my collective Nazrin picture folder as of today.

i am beating danbooru in nazrin solo pictures

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Paper Conan

• NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #496 on: May 10, 2011, 02:21:26 AM »
This is my collective Nazrin picture folder as of today.

i am beating danbooru in nazrin solo pictures
:o
How do you..?

« Reply #497 on: May 10, 2011, 06:56:41 AM »
Scary stuff Drake. It is just Nazrin you collect pictures of right?

« Reply #498 on: May 10, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »
So, what order should I take on SoEW, PoDD, LLS, MS, PoFV, and GFW Lunatics? Obviously, I'm not counting HRtP since I have no plans to take that one on. But I'm wondering which order I should take these 6 on.

I do wonder how long it'd take to learn the games enough to be able to 1cc them.
MS was probably the easiest of them for me, taking all of 3 tries.  It really didn't feel much worse than Hard.  LLS/SoEW are both relatively easy too aside, SoEW being the harder of the two I guess.  I think there's a trick to make Elly easier too, but I forget how it works.  Something to do with ending her phases on certain attacks so you don't have to deal with the harder ones.  From there, I guess PoFV --> GFW --> PoDD, unless you're better at dodging than freezing, in which case PoDD --> GFW.

:o
How do you..?
Draws them himself of course!

« Reply #499 on: May 10, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »
SoEW, PoDD, MS, PoFV, and GFW I never even 1cc'd on Hard. But it doesn't really make any sense to go for Hard on them now. I'll just skip to Lunatic.

My early run vids of GFW were from when I didn't realize that shooting charged your freeze meter faster. Should be obvious why I failed so horribly on them.

Still, I guess I could easily take most of these out quickly once I start trying. SoEW, LLS, and MS will be relearning the game, but LLS is easy enough to 1cc, so maybe I'll try to 1cc while playing for using lives and bombs for score instead of survival, and that'd make it a more decent challenge. But I'd need to learn the optimal bombing spots. I don't know if I could even get to Shiki now on PoFV like I used to, but that game is pretty much luck on whether the AI decides to die. GFW shouldn't be that bad if I spam freeze. PoDD is the tough one obviously being the hardest of them all, even harder than UFO.

I don't even know who I should be using for PoDD either. And I never got the final extend on Normal or on my old Hard runs.

« Reply #500 on: May 10, 2011, 06:20:17 PM »
Skip the Phantasmagorias and SoEW.
Especially SoEW.

If you really gotta play PoFV, which there really isn't any reason why you should, play as Aya. Some people like to call her overpowered but they say the same about the Border Team in IN so who gives a fuck?

There is some tendency that the only characters in Touhou that doesn't suck gets labelled overpowered. Don't listen to them. You're just going for a "get it over with 1cc" anyway I presume.

As for PoDD... ask Jaimers or Ebarett. As far as I'm concerned the only good thing about that is its soundtrack so I never played more than a single credit of it. It is a damn good soundtrack though. Unlike PoFV.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #501 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »
And Scarlet Gensokyo captured. After recent stabs at Remilia, I suddenly felt like I was focusing better at that card, so I just kept hammerin' until it gave. And in the process of trying to get this, I realized at some point I had been capturing things like Young Demon Lord and Thousand Needle Mountain several times consecutively, both at max rank.

Of all games to see vast improvements during my "return" to Touhou, I never would have guessed it to be EoSD.

SoEW, PoDD, MS, PoFV, and GFW I never even 1cc'd on Hard. But it doesn't really make any sense to go for Hard on them now. I'll just skip to Lunatic.

My early run vids of GFW were from when I didn't realize that shooting charged your freeze meter faster. Should be obvious why I failed so horribly on them.
I can't say anything about the PC-98 games or PoFV, but I can testify that GFW is definitely something you can just skip to Lunatic for. If you had been practicing a route on lower difficulties, you know the general progression of everything after a while, so you merely have to adjust for whatever differences Lunatic has. In addition, the greater amounts of danmaku on Lunatic make it much easier to freeze mass portions of the screen, filling up your percentages faster. And it sounds like you already know what you had been doing wrong before, so once you start applying that (and don't forget, grazing helps charge faster too!) a 1cc will come sooner than you think.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:59:16 PM by ふねん1 »

« Reply #502 on: May 11, 2011, 06:01:01 AM »
But I'd need to learn the optimal bombing spots.
There's a ton of ghosts toward the end of stage 1 that you should be bombing (as seen here), plus these waves on stage 3, and Yuka's second last phase on stage 6 should be timed out with bombs/suicides for the point items.  Iirc, stage 4 has a lot of grazing, and stage 6 Yuka's second phase should be supergrazed and timed out.  I'm not sure which other spots you should capitalize on, but those are the biggest ones that come to mind... Or you may just want to stick to those ones if you don't think you can make it with enough lives in reserve.  Iirc, you should be entering Yuka's second last phase with 4 lives or more, and tack on two more bombs for Lunatic, since her last phase is ridiculous.

Uhh, PoDD... I guess Yumemi?  I'm not sure though, I only played it on Normal and that was quite a while ago.  I don't even remember most of the character names if that says anything.

If you really gotta play PoFV, which there really isn't any reason why you should, play as Aya. Some people like to call her overpowered but they say the same about the Border Team in IN so who gives a fuck?
Medicine!!  But that's a little TOO overpowered... Shiki went down in 61 seconds when I used her >_>.  Marisa/Reimu/Shiki are alright too I guess, if you don't wanna go with the other two.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #503 on: May 11, 2011, 08:35:18 AM »
I don't even know who I should be using for PoDD either. And I never got the final extend on Normal or on my old Hard runs.

Reimu/Yumemi/Rikako for easy clears, everyone else for hard clears and Chiyuri for an insane clear.
Also pretty sure you get both extends on lunatic whatever you do anyway.

Some people like to call her overpowered.

Some people also like to call Type Z in CC overpowered.

« Reply #504 on: May 11, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »
Some people also like to call Type Z in CC overpowered.

I never played with it so I don't know. One thing I do know though is that Type A doesn't suck whereas most shots in Touhou that aren't the best one tend to blow. ZUN likes to be creative instead of going with the traditional; Ship A is fast and has linear shots while Ship B is slow and has spread shots that you see in many bullet hells.

Just too bad that creativity falls short when you realize that whatever benefit they have is hysterically outclassed by the traditional shot types. There is no benefit whatsoever in picking MarisaA in MoF for example who will have a trail of stars after her that barely deals any damage or you can just select ReimuB who will knock the bosses into the ground and keep kicking at them until they stop moving.

ZUN doesn't know what balanced characters is. So just pick the best and win.

« Reply #505 on: May 11, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
I never played with it so I don't know. One thing I do know though is that Type A doesn't suck whereas most shots in Touhou that aren't the best one tend to blow. ZUN likes to be creative instead of going with the traditional; Ship A is fast and has linear shots while Ship B is slow and has spread shots that you see in many bullet hells.

This makes no sense at all. If you try Z, you'll see that A and B completely suck in comparison.

Except that they still have only separate scoreboards, which implies they aren't even meant to be balanced.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #506 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »
Perfect Hard Kogasa !
I know this might look a bit bleh but her first spell.... :ohdear:

I was followed by a "I loose all my lives without bombing once even if I have full bomb" stage 3.
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #507 on: May 11, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »

Just too bad that creativity falls short when you realize that whatever benefit they have is hysterically outclassed by the traditional shot types. There is no benefit whatsoever in picking MarisaA in MoF for example who will have a trail of stars after her that barely deals any damage or you can just select ReimuB who will knock the bosses into the ground and keep kicking at them until they stop moving.

I agree, yes, especially SA comes to mind. Different shot types are more about having fun and using them in certain situations or coming up with strategies that involve them. This, however, becomes annoying once people start thinking that opting for a character that simply shoots straight instead of using non-homing homing shots equals playing the game on easy mode.
Big deal if I don't arbitrarily make the game harder than it could be if I used an unconventional shot-type. 
Aside from that, it's nice that ZUN actually comes up with unconventional shot-types, it's fun to give them a try. It's just a pity that most of them aren't used again, I'd rather stick with a certain shot-type in all games, so I won't be switching from Needle Reimu anyway.

Balance really doesn't need to be considered, though, and I hope it will stay that way since I have yet to see any kind of game in any genre that actually maintained balance to a degree that could be defined as acceptable on all characters/whatever you're playing as. As Erppo said, give them different scoreboards, call it a day and have fun.

« Reply #508 on: May 11, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
This makes no sense at all. If you try Z, you'll see that A and B completely suck in comparison.
This so much.  After 10-15 attempts at Original with Type-I, I was still failing 1ccs on the final boss.  I then unlock Type-Z, 1 life up to stage 4, and clear the game including both TLB parts with about 5 lives to spare.  Double the Type-1's power, give it more mobility, and make the break gauge fill 2-3 times as fast and you have Type-Z.  Type-2 still has use on Simple though, since its options can be manipulated to jam them into bosses, unlike Type1/Z who have to shotgun to get that... It's an awkward shot though, so I never really bothered.

« Reply #509 on: May 11, 2011, 07:09:49 PM »

As I stated, I have never played Z. I don't even have it unlocked. I'm still in the process of unlocking all the stages. I haven't even tried Type B yet. When I was talking about traditional shottypes I was thinking about DOJ and Ketsui. Not Crimzon Clover.

Except that they still have only separate scoreboards, which implies they aren't even meant to be balanced.

Yeah and that's a good thing. It means that all competition will be compared to people who play on equal terms as you. That still doesn't mean that the other shot types are any good just cause' they have a leaderboard though. its more like a leaderboard for people playing with a self-imposed handicap like no-bombs or no-focus. And if some people find that fun, then that's cool and all. I just personally think that those shottypes are horribly inbalanced and somewhat of a drawback about Touhou. But hey, its not just Touhou. I also find Deathsmiles to suffer from major character bias.

This, however, becomes annoying once people start thinking that opting for a character that simply shoots straight instead of using non-homing homing shots equals playing the game on easy mode.
Big deal if I don't arbitrarily make the game harder than it could be if I used an

Indeed. It is quite irritating at times when people constantly have to call the good characters overpowered. ReimuA in SA - I choose her because she's a simple straightforward shot. Not because she deals a lot of damage. That's only a neat bonus. SanaeB - She has a good spreadshot and deals good damage as well. Overpowered? I'd more say, useful. She minimizes the level of memorization you will have to do without completely trivializing things like bosses. Its not like she makes things that much more easy anyway. Border Team - I love that team. Good homing capabilities and lock on during focus. Overpowered? No. I'd say the rest are underpowered since the game has so many popcorn enemies flying in from everywhere. You won't be able to keep proper track with them with anybody else.

Unless of course you count memorizing an exact path through the entire game. But i'd say its stupid to do that when you can just select the character the game was seemingly made for.

Somebody might come and point out that I have been very happy about hating on Sakuya in PCB. So can I permit myself to complain about people calling my favorite shots overpowered when I do so myself? Yes. There is a difference between effective shots and outright broken shots that can break the entire game.