Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!  (Read 128303 times)

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament!
« Reply #210 on: February 14, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »
Score archive thread here. Week 2 will be up shortly. Get ready!

EDIT: Thread's up! Go go go!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:00:51 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

« Reply #211 on: February 14, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »
Special challenge is mighty cruel this time. I am horrible at aiming Myon shots.

Alright. Let's do this thing.

« Reply #212 on: February 14, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »
Special challenge is mighty cruel this time. I am horrible at aiming Myon shots.

The cruelty doesn't just stop at Myon's unruly shots, or even the lack of precision incurred from permanently unfocusing. The real cruelty comes from it being a scoring challenge
Spoiler:
where you can't auto-collect any items at the top of the screen

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »
You can autocollect at max power. :P
Let's fight.

« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2011, 01:52:10 PM »
Are you implying I will ever get to max power without my precious auto-collect?

« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2011, 01:55:18 PM »
The cruelty doesn't just stop at Myon's unruly shots, or even the lack of precision incurred from permanently unfocusing. The real cruelty comes from it being a scoring challenge
Spoiler:
where you can't auto-collect any items at the top of the screen
True, you can't use focus to auto-collect items before max power.  Just finished a run on easy just to test the waters. Marisa, Tewi, and Reisen are going to be a real pain in this challenge. At least I managed to raise the bar on my personal high score again. (1.3B). 

I did notice something about Youmu's bomb. Throughout the duration, she goes into focus mode anyway; or at least the hitbox is visible.. Hopefully this doesn't nullify any legitimate runs. I was quite unnerved when I noticed it in Reisen's fight.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »
Ahhh, they -have- to let ex-bombing like that go, right?
They clear bullets, so it's not as if you have anything to dodge while they go on anyway.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2011, 02:35:43 PM »
week 2

Oh shit what.  WELP.  TIME TO---
youmu solo unfocused
oh fuck

EDIT: After game-overing at Parsee on Normal after reaching Yuugi on Hard, I am convinced I have forgotten how to SA.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:18:07 PM by Garlyle »

« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2011, 07:59:37 PM »
Definitely hope to see someone do a Lunatic clear on Special Challenge.

I just know one thing, it's not going to be me. I only barely cleared Hard on it.

« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2011, 08:27:25 PM »
Definitely hope to see someone do a Lunatic clear on Special Challenge.

I just know one thing, it's not going to be me. I only barely cleared Hard on it.
Really?  I figured your run would have been pretty decent.  Did you abuse the pseudo-focus (holding down at the bottom for horizontal movement) trick at all?  It really makes life a lot easier.

« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »
I saw your run. You would clear if you got the final extend like I did. I used up all the lives. And yeah, I held down at bottom of screen some.

Edit: Only redeeming things were Telemesmerism and Salamander Shield captures.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:30:51 PM by Phoenixma »

Turtlesaur

• rawr
    • home of a KEWNE-type familiar
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
Would it be ok to go max lives on the special challenge? I realize it totally bombs your score, but it'd be fun to see a Lunatic clear game over on Marisa instead of well, midboss Marisa. Suppose this question applies to future EoSD/PCB/IN stuff as well.

Not that I'll end up trying Lunatic myself anyway, Hard's bad enough as is with Marisa in there...

« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
Tried some Extra.

Not familiar with Ex Keine's cards as a human player since I always use Focus during them normally. First still isn't too bad, but the third.

I can no death the stage part with bombs on Ex Keine's second, third, and the death fairy.

Outside of that, No Focus  Mokou is pretty hard. It obviously wasn't too bad with Yuyuko, but with Youmu, I'm getting destroyed.

Oh hi, Ihakasa, oh hi familiars that can kill you on Xu Fu's Dimension even if you barely move up from the bottom, hi familiars that kill you on Hollow Giant Woo. Don't remember if the familiars killed you on the Volcano Card, but you shouldn't be getting near those.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2011, 09:32:43 PM »
Would it be ok to go max lives on the special challenge? I realize it totally bombs your score, but it'd be fun to see a Lunatic clear game over on Marisa instead of well, midboss Marisa. Suppose this question applies to future EoSD/PCB/IN stuff as well.

Not that I'll end up trying Lunatic myself anyway, Hard's bad enough as is with Marisa in there...
Nope, sorry, defaults only to keep it fair. ...Odd how I forgot to put that in the rules, actually, I'll go add that.
Let's fight.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »
No-focus solo Youmu run? Let's see. Though I'm sure I won't get far in the SA run. I suck in SA =(

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »
Hourai Jewel knocks me out for the third time T_T

« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
How many resources do you have going in?

1/1 should be enough to guarantee clearing on Hard with this condition. Maybe a bit more for safety.Only reason I didn't say 1/0 is because I almost let myself get trapped by the first part of the attack due to not being confident enough to try a dodge with unfocused speed.

And yeah, that card completely sucks especially if you haven't gone against it in a while. Once she loses the armor, it's better go up and stream the thing down then bomb as you get trapped. You're probably not capturing it either with the survival strat or vertical streaming with No Focus Youmu. Do not stream up like I did at the first part of my last life due to Myon. Corrected that after realizing my mistake.

« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2011, 01:08:02 AM »
I usually go in with 2 lives and either one or no bombs.  By the time her invincibility ends, I'm usually down to 1 life 1 bomb.  Honestly I can rarely capture this card on normal with focus, let alone on hard without =/.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2011, 01:32:03 AM »
Oh shit what.  WELP.  TIME TO---oh fuck

EDIT: After game-overing at Parsee on Normal after reaching Yuugi on Hard, I am convinced I have forgotten how to SA.

Same here, except I kept gameovering at Yamame. ON ALL THE FUCKING MODES.
Oh, and about the Youmu challenge.... NO.... just no.
(I can't no-focus any game yet.... except on Extra.... but the stupid familiars.....)

I'm just going to sit this one out. Good luck you lunatics everyone!
:ohdear:

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #229 on: February 15, 2011, 02:43:40 AM »
And, I really suck at redirecting shots with Myon ;_;
Every time I tried a solo Youmu on Normal, I get slapped in the face at stage 4. This time, I walked into it on my last life =(

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2011, 02:47:17 AM »
Y'alls could stop whining about the special challenge and go for score in SA, y'know :D

Shady_Ghost

• #totes
  • #legit
« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2011, 03:22:47 AM »
I'm actually pretty good at SA. If I could just figure out utsuho I could have a pretty good normal run.  I just need lotsa practice
2lazy2createbettersig

« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2011, 03:28:06 AM »
Score, MarisA.

I may try to 1cc Lunatic with her, but I don't see myself actually trying to score with her. I don't even know how to score with ReimuA and scoring with Marisa is pretty much harder.

I don't know if I can at least get a 1cc as I'm pretty inconsistent at the game plus that hitbox. That and Yamame's opener is bad enough with ReimuA(which I still need to 1cc with sometime).

« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2011, 04:10:12 AM »
Score, MarisA.

I may try to 1cc Lunatic with her, but I don't see myself actually trying to score with her. I don't even know how to score with ReimuA and scoring with Marisa is pretty much harder.

I don't know if I can at least get a 1cc as I'm pretty inconsistent at the game plus that hitbox. That and Yamame's opener is bad enough with ReimuA(which I still need to 1cc with sometime).
You got it with ReimuC right?  I'm surprised you didn't use ReimuA or MarisaC first.

Anyway, in terms of records, Alice seems to be the second best.  You could probably find some good reference material in some of the replays of her.  This is all assuming you're intending to go for a serious score in any of the difficulties.  Personally, I'm only aiming for about 300m on normal... I'm just garbage with MarisaA.  I do like how her shot type is only good in unfocus and how that matches up with the IN challenge though.  I wonder if Sapz planned that =p.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2011, 05:15:07 AM »
Y'alls could stop whining about the special challenge and go for score in SA, y'know :D
Ahahahaha
hahahaha
haha
ha

« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
Does anybody know if there was a patch that fixes a bug with the SA replays? Some of them have a tendency to de-synchronize, causing shorter and more idiotic playbacks.

Tourney-wise, I need to get accustomed to Marisa's speed again. I've never played SA for score, so I'm not really used to trying to graze EVERYTHING.

« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »
Oh NO! Playing as Marisa in SA? That game has worse character bias than any Touhou game ever made! And obviously we need to use the crappiest one. MarisaA. SAPZ YOU ARE EVIL!

Its basically all the worst handicaps stacked. Fast movement speed. Check. Weak shot. Check. Weak bomb. Check. Bigger hitbox. Check. I'll have to put all my effort into survival here to even get through Utsuho. Well... let's see what sort of trainwreck i can produce. Be rite back!

Results:

*Rage alert*
Where was I? Oh yeah, that's right. I'm not touching this UFO MarisaB forerunner ever again because i fear that worthlessness is contagious.
My thoughts about this run?

I'm surprised i got that far really. I had expected no further than Satori but apparently i got to Orin and that's despite an awful bunch of stupid deaths. I had to bomb a lot of stuff including Parsee's non-spells as well as bombspam basically anything Satori has because of the huge clipdanger any pack of dense bullets provide when you are playing as something as unreliable as this sack of maggots.

What happened to the balancing? ReimuA may be overpowered but at least the other Reimu's are decent! Somewhat decent anyway.
*Rage alert over*

Oh well. Now i'll just relax and watch to see just how many can pull off anything decent with this shot.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:49:11 AM by Zengeku »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »
If you're finding MarisaA to be 'worthless', you're not using her right and/or are spoiled by ReimuA's easiness. Notice how MarisaA has the second highest potential damage of all shot types (and it's easier to use compared to #1). It's a shotgun type, use it as such and you'll destroy everything.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:52:58 AM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2011, 12:13:39 PM »
Yes you are right but you have to be unfocused to take advantage of that. Besides. Its not just power i'm having an issue with. Its the entire shot type and every part about it.

Its hitbox is a bit larger which doesn't make much difference with regards to dodging fast bullets but going through gaps in patterns that are easy to read are needlessly tricky. The movement speed is also faster which is not good for precision. She has no benefits over the other shottypes and her bomb is terrible.

Sure i may be a little spoiled by using competent shot types all the time. It doesn't have to ReimuA. Just any Reimu shot will do.

You say i'm supposed to use her as a shotgun? How am i supposed to get close to the bosses?

(and it's easier to use compared to #1)

Are you saying she is easier to use than Yukari?

EDIT:

There doesn't seem to be many people who realize how "good" she is
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:17:47 PM by Zengeku »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »
Are you saying she is easier to use than Yukari?
#1 for damage is MarisaB with the diagonal shots. :V

Even at far range, the unfocus shot is very powerful. I admit it's not the easiest shot type to use, but that'd be boring, right? It has tons of potential. Keep at it!
Let's fight.