Author Topic: Cons of Cannibalism  (Read 18361 times)

Re: Cons of Cannibalism
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2010, 01:31:08 AM »
It's because of the ads. I have an ad-blocker, but people who don't block ads see instead a catgirl being banged against a wall or something =[

Oh Jesus, really? This post's at the top of the page.

It's amazing how I never noticed the ads containing NSFW even though I've been using danbooru for a few years now.

Sylver

• BOOSH.
Re: Cons of Capitalism
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2010, 01:41:24 AM »
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:46:38 AM by Sylver »

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2010, 01:44:41 AM »
People not using ad block. What is this the 2000s?

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2010, 01:51:24 AM »
People not using ad block. What is this the 2000s?

* Gpop lives in the past

I just don't care and live on with the ads there :P

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2010, 01:52:33 AM »
Chicken[Danbooru/NSFW?]

I didn't know danbooru functioned like that. Thanks.

Edit: I presume safebooru is fine?
Safebooru is fine. danbooru or gelbooru...eh not so much.

« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2010, 01:58:48 AM »
* Gpop lives in the past

I just don't care and live on with the ads there :P

I honestly prefer the ads on danbooru the most if I didn't have the ads blocked.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2010, 01:59:48 AM »
Yeah it is.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2010, 02:06:01 AM »
Ironically, I think there are NSFW ads on Safebooru, but the image linking works the same way.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
Re: Cons of Capitalism
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2010, 02:13:50 AM »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2010, 02:24:40 AM »
Am I late to the Donner party?

A little.

As much as I dislike this guy, we can't lay all the blame on his doorstep. It was the entire "me first, screw you" mentality that is often called the American Dream. In other words, it was capitalism's fault.
Bush didn't make the problems confronting modern America. He inherited them and made them decisively worse. We're in agreement.

As for cannibalism, it doesn't work very well if you're a shut-in. And it discriminates against people who live out in the country. Urbanites get the king's share of the available supplies. Feh.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2010, 02:28:26 AM »
Ironically, I think there are NSFW ads on Safebooru, but the image linking works the same way.

I don't I've seen any from there yet. Then again, like I said, I don't pay attention to them nor do they ever bother me.

Tengukami

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2010, 02:35:06 AM »
Turned off my Adblock software and saw nothing wrong on Safebooru. Guess it lives up to the name after all!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2010, 02:35:59 AM »
The problems with W Bush were sowed in the 80s and early 90s with Reagan and HW Bush's wonderful economic policies and out of control military spending.  The 8 years of Clinton weren't enough to undo even close to all of it.  And of course W went RIGHT back to it, ruining what was a budget surplus and a roaring economy and crashing it into the ground.

Granted, 9/11 didn't help at all, and directly lead to the collapse of the airline industry and subsequent restructuring.  But his policies were lockstep in line with the awesome 80s mentality of pump and dump everything that moves.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2010, 02:38:03 AM »
The more and more I read about the US' economic policy since the end of the second world war, the less and less I like it.

No, devaluing the dollar never has any unforeseen consequences. Of course not!

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2010, 02:39:11 AM »
I cried when US dollar was worth less than the Canadian dollar.

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2010, 02:40:07 AM »
Well, I guess its time to go out of the country. Australia seems nice... or CANADA. Hmmm...

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2010, 02:40:32 AM »
I dunno, Eisenhower had it right.  Massive top bracket rates on the wealthy to pay off war debts, and huge investments in infrastructure to keep running the industrial capacity we gained during the war.  Yet he was ever vigilant not to build up a military-industrial complex, and was a very outspoken critic of the more hardline warhawks like MacArthur.

Seriously, the guy inherited a massive reconstruction effort and managed to create not only an amazingly prosperous economy but kept most of the world from collapsing.  He brought Japan back on its feet, rebuilt West Germany and Italy, and he arguably kept the world from EVER reaching another World War again with his commitment to international dialog.  I mean, the 50s were a horribly scary time.  The Soviets had the bomb and were under the reigns of an absolutely brutal dictator, and Communist revolts were occuring all around the world with dictators getting their conquering on while everyone else was licking their wounds from WW2.

If it were anyone else we would have likely escalated Korea to a fullout war with the USSR and we'd all be dead from radiation.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:46:43 AM by Mao TSO-Tung »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2010, 02:43:21 AM »
Plus he invented highways! And I think that's pretty cool.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2010, 02:45:16 AM »
Plus he invented highways! And I think that's pretty cool.
The genius was in selling it to Congress as a "national security" implement saying it could be used as emergency runways if a Soviet invasion blew out our airbases.  Like I seriously doubt Eisenhower ever intended to have it used for that, but it won over Congressional approval.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2010, 02:48:03 AM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I rather like Eisenhower. It's just the people who came after him who had... interesting ideas on how to run the country and its economy. Hello, Reagan!

The genius was in selling it to Congress as a "national security" implement saying it could be used as emergency runways if a Soviet invasion blew out our airbases.  Like I seriously doubt Eisenhower ever intended to have it used for that, but it won over Congressional approval.
Hahaha, that is amazing. Too bad that infrastructure has languished pretty much since his era. How much of our national budget is devoted to upkeep of roads and bridges? Wasn't it something like 5%? But gosh, we need that money to spread democracy more than we need it to have bridges NOT fall on our citizens.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2010, 02:49:28 AM »
Hahaha, that is amazing. Too bad that infrastructure has languished pretty much since his era. How much of our national budget is devoted to upkeep of roads and bridges? Wasn't it something like 5%? But gosh, we need that money to spread democracy more than we need it to have bridges NOT fall on our citizens.
Yeah he mandated that every 5 miles of road contain a 1 mile straightaway to allow it to operate as an emergency runway.  Now note that most of the roads were built in either horribly mountainous terrain or in extremely remote areas.  So for that use it was practically pointless.  But it won Congressional approval during at time when everyone was scared shitless of the Soviets and he was the only guy looking ahead to "ok what do we do AFTER the Soviets calm down/collapse?"

We really do need another Eisenhower-like.  But I doubt either party would be interested in electing another one of his kind.  He's too moderate and sensible and wasn't interested in accumulating power like most Washington "elites".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:51:28 AM by Mao TSO-Tung »

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2010, 02:51:02 AM »
So, whats the future going to be? Elect a down to earth guy/girl or elect another quack? Of course, being extremist we are. Go with the quack. We are so done for.  :(

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2010, 02:53:16 AM »

Hah our loonies was worth more than your bills! :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2010, 02:55:50 AM »
So, whats the future going to be? Elect a down to earth guy/girl or elect another quack? Of course, being extremist we are. Go with the quack. We are so done for.  :(
The President is a puppet for the most part nowadays.  He can say platitudes and demand change but for the most part bar a few minor tweaks to make it look like Washington cares, he's going to maintain the status quo.  I mean, I think Obama has improved a lot of things in America, mostly our horribly tarnished international appearance, but he's not actually going to do even a tenth of the things he promised.  And now with midterms swinging control of the House to the Republicans it's just going to be 2 years of posturing and nothing really getting done.

For better or for worse, Reagan was the last president to actually command respect and was able to steer the country to his ideas.  Granted his ideas were pretty terribad, but you can't knock his charisma.  He knew the game and knew how to play it very well.

Tengukami

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2010, 02:56:00 AM »

The current president, following the legacy of a disastrous one, will serve one term and be replaced by a self-styled "sensible conservative" who will reap the benefits of the groundwork the current president is laying and so carrying the White House for two terms. Or maybe I'm just remembering Carter to Reagan.

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2010, 02:57:43 AM »
The President is a puppet for the most part nowadays.  He can say platitudes and demand change but for the most part bar a few minor tweaks to make it look like Washington cares, he's going to maintain the status quo.  I mean, I think Obama has improved a lot of things in America, mostly our horribly tarnished international appearance, but he's not actually going to do even a tenth of the things he promised.  And now with midterms swinging control of the House to the Republicans it's just going to be 2 years of posturing and nothing really getting done.
I knew it that the president is just a figure head. We were screwed already...

The current president, following the legacy of a disastrous one, will serve one term and be replaced by a self-styled "sensible conservative" who will reap the benefits of the groundwork the current president is laying and so carrying the White House for two terms. Or maybe I'm just remembering Carter to Reagan.

Your just remembering Carter to Reagan.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2010, 03:02:11 AM »
Hah our loonies was worth more than your bills! :V
Ours were worth the same, albeit in a different way.

When I was a kid, my parents promised me a trip to Europe instead of a Quincea?era when I graduated from high school. What happened when I graduated? The market crash. Feh.

My personal favourite is how our Senate Minority Leader actively says that the Republican party's main aim is to make Obama a one-term president. As opposed to, you know, taking the first steps to fixing the economy, confronting our wars in the Middle East and pulling out our troops, doing something about Medicare and what have you. And completely forgetting that a democracy is supposed to work by compromise. (I hate how that word, "compromise", has become a bad word in the continental US lexicon. You just can't work with a democracy if you won't compromise at all.)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2010, 03:02:48 AM »
Err Carter was garbage.  He somehow managed to totally throw away control from the Democrats despite basically being handed the White House and Congress for the next 100 years thanks to Nixon's royal cockup.  The Energy Crisis showed how absolutely ineffectual he was as a diplomat in reigning in a war hungry Israel, and his price controls almost brought the economy to a complete collapse.

His charity work is great, and he's an excellent spokesperson for human rights not just for Americans but for all humanity, but as a leader he was too idealistic and impractical.

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2010, 03:05:47 AM »
Err Carter was garbage.  He somehow managed to totally throw away control from the Democrats despite basically being handed the White House and Congress for the next 100 years thanks to Nixon's royal cockup.  The Energy Crisis showed how absolutely ineffectual he was as a diplomat in reigning in a war hungry Israel, and his price controls almost brought ~*~the economy~*~ to a complete collapse.

His charity work is great, and he's an excellent spokesperson for human rights not just for Americans but for all humanity, but as a leader he was too idealistic and impractical.

So who do you approve of?
Let me back into CPMC :|

Tengukami

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2010, 03:08:09 AM »
Meh, I still like Carter, warts and all. He got Egypt and Israel to talk to each other, he tried to bring the metric system into the US, and he put solar panels on the White House roof (which Reagan immediately removed). So maybe he wasn't stellar, but still. I've said before that on his gravestone they're going to engrave "He Tried".

My personal favourite is how our Senate Minority Leader actively says that the Republican party's main aim is to make Obama a one-term president. As opposed to, you know, taking the first steps to fixing ~*~the economy~*~, confronting our wars in the Middle East and pulling out our troops, doing something about Medicare and what have you. And completely forgetting that a democracy is supposed to work by compromise. (I hate how that word, "compromise", has become a bad word in the continental US lexicon. You just can't work with a democracy if you won't compromise at all.)

The GOP wants the president to fail, hard. That's been their priority since he started running for office. They have no ideas, no alternatives beyond "let's do things the way Bush did". They play to people's worst fears and basest xenophobic hatred. And if the Democrats don't start changing their game from reactive to active, they're going to hand the country over to them.