Author Topic: Running vsynch patch without applocale?  (Read 7238 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Running vsynch patch without applocale?
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:14:51 PM »
I've taken to playing Touhou in the college library when I have free time, and two problems have kept me from playing all I'd like. First, the EoSD Vsynch patch won't run. I know that it's because it's trying to run a Japanese-titled program and needs applocale, but these computers don't have it and students are unable to install new programs. Is there a way to make the patch run without applocale?

Also, while it's a lesser problem, I've run into a curious problem with MoF: When I try and play stage 4 and only stage 4, the game crashes with this in the bug report:

AppName: th10.exe    AppVer: 0.0.0.0    ModName: th10.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0    Offset: 000471a7

Any idea what it means?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
Re: Running vsynch patch without applocale?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »
I've taken to playing Touhou in the college library when I have free time, and two problems have kept me from playing all I'd like. First, the EoSD Vsynch patch won't run. I know that it's because it's trying to run a Japanese-titled program and needs applocale, but these computers don't have it and students are unable to install new programs. Is there a way to make the patch run without applocale?
Can the computers run batch scripts?  Will they let you set environment variables through them?
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

nintendonut888

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »
Umm, I think? As long as it's brought on my USB drive I can bring virtually anything onto the computer.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Barrakketh

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »
Umm, I think? As long as it's brought on my USB drive I can bring virtually anything onto the computer.
Make a .bat file to run it (like you probably do with 12.8 or 12.5 if you have it on a USB drive) that contains:

Code: [Select]
@echo off
set __COMPAT_LAYER=ApplicationLocale
set AppLocaleID=0411

start vpatch.exe

And use that to run it.  You should be good so long as the machines are using XP or newer (might even work on 2000, I dunno).
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:35:31 AM »
They are currently running XP (I know this). I should get a laptop when I have the money to so I don't have to worry about this. :V
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Barrakketh

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:43:47 AM »
They are currently running XP (I know this). I should get a laptop when I have the money to so I don't have to worry about this. :V
The batch file should fix it, anyway :V

nintendonut888

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:29 PM »
Make a .bat file to run it (like you probably do with 12.8 or 12.5 if you have it on a USB drive) that contains:

Code: [Select]
@echo off
set __COMPAT_LAYER=ApplicationLocale
set AppLocaleID=0411

start vpatch.exe

And use that to run it.  You should be good so long as the machines are using XP or newer (might even work on 2000, I dunno).

Actually, I haven't put Double Spoiler or Fairy Wars on my USB drives (lack of space), so I don't know how to make a batch file or any of that stuff. >.> Is there any computer expertise required?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »
Just open up Notepad, enter (or copy/paste) that stuff in, and save it to a file called <filename>.bat.  Make sure it's really a .bat, and not secretly a .bat.txt (you need filenames actually turned on in Windows).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:30:17 PM by Momiji »

nintendonut888

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
Just open up Notepad, enter (or copy/paste) that stuff in, and save it to a file called <filename>.bat.  Make sure it's really a .bat, and secretly a .bat.txt (you need filenames actually turned on in Windows).

I'm surprised it's as simple as that. It's like mmmmagic! /o/

Can't test this until tomorrow, but thanks.

nintendonut888

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Umm, so I just tried this at school. I copy/pasted that text into notepad, saved it as a .bat file, ran it, but I still got the same garbage text error as when I try and run vsynch normally. Could it be because I don't actually have applocale installed? I tried to find the proper program on my home computer, but only ever found the shortcut...

Barrakketh

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 06:48:56 PM »
Umm, so I just tried this at school. I copy/pasted that text into notepad, saved it as a .bat file, ran it, but I still got the same garbage text error as when I try and run vsynch normally. Could it be because I don't actually have applocale installed?
AppLocale should basically do what the batch file does, it just gives you an annoying warning whenever you run it and an easier way to pick the language.  Does the machine use fonts that would let you read Japanese normally (not necessarily the case for UI elements)?  It's possible that the warning could be related to some other restriction in place for the machine (for instance, not being able to change the environment variables which would keep the batch script from doing anything but launching the program).

Since I have some old Windows XP machines in the house I might try to grab EoSD from my Linux install and see if it'll run over there with the batch script.

I tried to find the proper program on my home computer, but only ever found the shortcut...
For AppLocale?  It's installed to c:\Windows\AppPatch

nintendonut888

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »
The computer can view Japanese fine, but the error message that comes up is all junk text. :\

Barrakketh

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 11:32:17 PM »
The computer can view Japanese fine, but the error message that comes up is all junk text. :\
Hmmm...I did some reading about how AppLocale and the Windows compatibility shims work under the hood, and it looks like a different approach will be needed.  Initial tests with AppLocale ran from a flash drive didn't work, but I'll futz around with it some more.  I probably won't have a chance to test some ideas out until tomorrow, though.

Out of curiosity, did you try making a copy of the EoSD executable with the gibberish filename given when you're not using the Japanese locale to install it?

nintendonut888

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »
No no no, the filename still comes up in Japanese. That's the weird thing. Everything indicates the system is running in Japanese Unicode except that the patch doesn't run.

Barrakketh

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 10:32:19 PM »
No no no, the filename still comes up in Japanese. That's the weird thing. Everything indicates the system is running in Japanese Unicode except that the patch doesn't run.
I know, but you don't need to have the system using Japanese locale for Japanese characters to display properly since the names of the files are being stored on a filesystem capable of storing the characters in a format the OS can understand.

AFAIK the vpatch (and I believe Touhou itself) is not Unicode-aware, and the error you're getting along with the messed up text that accompanies it is because the characters are being mangled when Windows is converting them from their native codepage (I believe it is CP932) to the computer's current locale.  When you use AppLocale a compatibility shim intercepts the function calls responsible for handling text for that program and properly converts them to UTF-16.

To use another example, when I first started playing Touhou on Linux I would get those screwed up filenames even though my machine used Unicode (en_US.UTF-8, for those familiar with locale).  Even though everything else was fully capable of handling Japanese characters, the Touhou installer would use Shift_JIS and things would get fucked up.  Running the installer with the Japanese locale (ja_JP.UTF-8) made it happy again, ditto for playing the games.

TL;DR: I'm 95% sure that the vpatch is looking for the screwed up name of the EoSD executable because the vpatch itself is having those characters mangled internally.

nintendonut888

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
So basically, I have no way out of this save somehow getting Applocale on these computers? :S That's a shame, I'd love to play EoSD stage 6 over and over again over here.

Barrakketh

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
I mentioned it before, but try making a copy of the English EoSD executable with the name "????–???…? ”?ƒ??€€??" (I'm fairly sure that is right) and see if the vsync patch works.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
I did the whole thing with the bat file because I wanted to try this. I got the same result, the gibberish that isn't japanese. The file name you provided above didn't work, but this does: ?????g????
The quote at the beginning IS part of the exe file name btw.
Make that the english exe file name, and it will work.

Edit: You don't need the bat file, vpatch works fine.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:39:20 PM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

nintendonut888

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
After some direct communication, it works! Hooray! \o/

...But MoF stage 4 still won't play on these computers. I wonder if it'd be too much to ask if we could figure that problem out next? :/

Barrakketh

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
I did the whole thing with the bat file because I wanted to try this. I got the same result, the gibberish that isn't japanese. The file name you provided above didn't work, but this does: ?????g????
The quote at the beginning IS part of the exe file name btw.
Make that the english exe file name, and it will work.
Thanks.  I didn't feel like rebooting and re-installing EoSD in Linux to get the properly mangled value so I tried creating my own approximation from the wiki.  Obviously I failed badly at that :3

The good news is that the explanation behind what happens when you run the vpatch is still valid, which is why the rename workaround gives results.

nintendonut888

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »
How'd you guys get those scrambled characters anyway? I can't find anything during the error sequence that allows you to copy/paste. ???

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 06:08:12 PM »
After some direct communication, it works! Hooray! \o/

...But MoF stage 4 still won't play on these computers. I wonder if it'd be too much to ask if we could figure that problem out next? :/
I'll have to get back to you on that, since I don't have MoF on my flash drives. I'll look into it on Friday.
TF2 Backpack

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
Also, while it's a lesser problem, I've run into a curious problem with MoF: When I try and play stage 4 and only stage 4, the game crashes with this in the bug report:

AppName: th10.exe    AppVer: 0.0.0.0    ModName: th10.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0    Offset: 000471a7

Any idea what it means?
I'd really like someone to explain to me what this means too.

Also, your th10(e).dat files aren't bad are they? Hopefully one of them, or another file, didn't get corrupted. Does it work fine at your home computer with what's on your flash drive?
TF2 Backpack

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 12:36:53 AM »
Also, your th10(e).dat files aren't bad are they? Hopefully one of them, or another file, didn't get corrupted. Does it work fine at your home computer with what's on your flash drive?
After seeing what was happening with Donut's MoF stage 4, compared to mine, we concluded that one of his .dat files was damaged.

Best way to fix is to replace the .dat files with the home computer's one's. (Just make sure you don't replace the score file!)
TF2 Backpack