Author Topic: Zuns inspiration! I found another one!  (Read 3760 times)

Zuns inspiration! I found another one!
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:11:54 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr0rsOtH4zQ&feature=related

Why don't we make a big list or something?

So you can tell which theme I'm talking about right?

Also does this site not have youtube embedding?
kraken

Neo Aemilius

• Born with Divine Grace...
  • To love a person, one doesn't need a heart ...
Re: Zuns inspiration! I found another one!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:17:15 AM »
Our Hisoutensoku?

Sleeping Terror

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:27:32 AM »
No no, here's a hint! particular moments of interest. :21-:23 and 1:20-:122
kraken

Drake

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:30:47 AM »
I got nothing, dude. In any case can you really call a few seconds of similarity an inspiration or whatever to begin with?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:35:58 AM »
I got nothing, dude. In any case can you really call a few seconds of similarity an inspiration or whatever to begin with?

Of course you can take inspiration from a few seconds of melodic pleasure. In case you really want to know, check my 2nd post before I edited it. 

Also I do have a more developed ear because I do compose, so it might not be as obvious as I thought it was.

edit: you guys can check my edits right? or is that only for me to see?

edit2: Urgh, most likely only for me to see, anyway, it's Necrofantasia.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:49:49 AM by kraken »
kraken

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:57:49 AM »
You really think that that phrase, that one in particular is unique to this song, Necrofantasia, or any others? :/ It's something too common to attribute to any song.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Drake

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:05:17 AM »
Only mods get youtube embedding. Embedding youtube everywhere would be really really annoying and take up server crap.

Of course you can take inspiration from a few seconds of melodic pleasure.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but the way most people view this is more like saying "ZUN ripped off this guy just like all these others lol". Usually there's more than just a two-three-second blip.

Also I do have a more developed ear because I do compose, so it might not be as obvious as I thought it was.
:|

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:38:40 AM »
All composers use inspiration, and it's usually only a few seconds they like from a particular song, and nintendonut, this isn't a common melody at all. I know a common generic melody when I hear one and I have never heard that note pattern anywhere else, and I pick up on these things straight away, unlike the people in this thread who couldn't identify which song from touhou has exactly the same note pattern for those seconds mentioned above.

Also the game is a Japanese anime style video game, all the more reason to believe Zun took inspiration from it. 

I hope nobody thinks I am saying he ripped it off....

One other thing nintendonut, you could just say that every time I find a video with such similarities, so I really don't appreciate such comments and I remember people posting such comments on the old shrinemaiden website.

I am really disappointed with the way you guys have approached this thread.

but whatever, everyone probably hates me by now.

Also in case you don't know, when you compose music, your ear becomes far more superior at identifying notes and patters and transcribing them also.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:44:22 AM by kraken »
kraken

boke

• ボケ
  • ゆっくりした結果がこれだよ
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:44:22 AM »
I hope nobody thinks I am saying he ripped it off....
I don't think anyone's saying that... just that they don't hear it.  Personally, I'm not that familiar with Necrofantasia, but once I listened to it I heard the similarity.. rhythmically right?  I also thought it was tonally similar to Septet.

I think there's definitely a part that sounds similar, but the actual phrases they're in are quite distinct.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:46:46 AM by Boke »

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:51:07 AM »
*THIS POST IS UGLY AND EMBARRASSING*
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:56:54 AM by kraken »
kraken

Drake

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:08:41 AM »
Just a clarification.

- I know what inspiration is. I know that ZUN is inspired by other works. I'm saying that I couldn't hear any similarities, and I only got it after you revealed it as Necrofantasia. Even though now I hear it, it isn't long or, as a whole piece of music, similar enough for me to believe it was a factor. As Boke said, the phrases in which the small segments are found have nothing in common with Necrofantasia except the key.
- I would rather not this become a big deal, but it seems to have become one anyways.
- I'm not saying that you're saying that he ripped it off. I said that usually when people find these kinds of things they take it as "lol zun stole it". You didn't, good for you. And usually when people find these kinds of things, it's more than just a few seconds worth.
- I can understand you feeling pressured by our responses but at least, I mean no harm or whatever. Sorry if you feel like you're being pushed around.

But really, what has really been bugging me, and why I'm not too enthused about this thread. I COMPOSE MUSIC. I've been playing piano for a good ten-eleven years. The way you're going "well yeah but I compose so obviously I have a better ear for this stuff" is really, really egotistical and I get a huge wave of self-righteousness from your statements. Instead of listening to everyone who says they can't hear it you're going "lalala I hear it you just all can't because I am superior, you're all being rude because you aren't agreeing with me i'm disappointed in you all". I'm sorry if this isn't your intention but this is how I see it. And for the record, I don't hate you.

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:13:52 AM »
Just a clarification.

- I know what inspiration is. I know that ZUN is inspired by other works. I'm saying that I couldn't hear any similarities, and I only got it after you revealed it as Necrofantasia. Even though now I hear it, it isn't long or, as a whole piece of music, similar enough for me to believe it was a factor. As Boke said, the phrases in which the small segments are found have nothing in common with Necrofantasia except the key.
- I would rather not this become a big deal, but it seems to have become one anyways.
- I'm not saying that you're saying that he ripped it off. I said that usually when people find these kinds of things they take it as "lol zun stole it". You didn't, good for you. And usually when people find these kinds of things, it's more than just a few seconds worth.
- I can understand you feeling pressured by our responses but at least, I mean no harm or whatever. Sorry if you feel like you're being pushed around.

But really, what has really been bugging me, and why I'm not too enthused about this thread. I COMPOSE MUSIC. I've been playing piano for a good ten-eleven years. The way you're going "well yeah but I compose so obviously I have a better ear for this stuff" is really, really egotistical and I get a huge wave of self-righteousness from your statements. Instead of listening to everyone who says they can't hear it you're going "lalala I hear it you just all can't because I am superior, you're all being rude because you aren't agreeing with me i'm disappointed in you all". I'm sorry if this isn't your intention but this is how I see it. And for the record, I don't hate you.

You're right, I am a bit of an egomaniac. If you've been playing piano for that long your probably far better than I am at this kind of stuff, I am also starting to doubt those are the correct notes, so I am reviewing it, please don't rage at me.  I'll post the perfect notes soon.
kraken

boke

• ボケ
  • ゆっくりした結果がこれだよ
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »
Don't worry about it, kraken.

Say, drake.  Have any videos of you playing up?  I thought by chance you may have been one of the many talented pianists I've watched do Touhou covers :)

Drake

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 06:30:14 AM »
You're right, I am a bit of an egomaniac. If you've been playing piano for that long your probably far better than I am at this kind of stuff, I am also starting to doubt those are the correct notes, so I am reviewing it, please don't rage at me.  I'll post the perfect notes soon.
Don't worry about it, please. The way you were talking just really bugged me, sorry.

Say, drake.  Have any videos of you playing up?  I thought by chance you may have been one of the many talented pianists I've watched do Touhou covers :)
I have an older one, but ehhhhh. Find it if you can.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:56 AM »
I was going to voice what exactly was wrong your approach here kraken, but I'd just be rehashing what Drake said here:

So... yeah, carry on, just keep this in mind.

On topic, does anyone have links to those Nico videos that showcase a bunch of songs that have uncanny similarity to ZUNsongs?
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 06:49:59 AM »
Ok  I got it right this time!

A C E B   D G E  D   C B C B G

Listen! http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/39445043/file.html

Now the song I posted at :20 goes

A C E B   D G E with exactly the same rhythm

I hope this makes my original post a little more valid, or I just wasted a lot of time lol.

And here are those videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60HASvyDkX4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7XFv21Dt2Y&feature=related

You're right, they make my comparison look like crap.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:03:33 AM by kraken »
kraken

boke

• ボケ
  • ゆっくりした結果がこれだよ
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 07:28:31 AM »
Don't worry about it, please. The way you were talking just really bugged me, sorry.
I have an older one, but ehhhhh. Find it if you can.
Border of Life!  One of my favorites.  I enjoyed that.  Also, had better resolution than some of the videos I've seen.  It's hard to figure out how to end a song that's meant to loop, one of the issues that's been bothering me as I've been trying to get into composing some arrangements/remixes  :3

Thanks for finding the videos kraken, I'm... hearing double?  ???

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 07:44:16 AM »
I started working on a club remix for Flandre's theme!

http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/76703101/file.html

Here's a sample! It sounds distorted as if it was slowed down a bit if you stream it on the site, downloading it will make it much clearer.
kraken

boke

• ボケ
  • ゆっくりした結果がこれだよ
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
Sounds pretty good!  What program/tools are you using?

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »
Fruity Loops 9. I am only using the default VSTs right now which sound horribly amateur, but I will replace them later since I am only really getting the rhythm and melodic layout down right now.  I'd recommend downloading obtaining some profressional ones if you look into the program.
kraken

boke

• ボケ
  • ゆっくりした結果がこれだよ
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 08:30:41 AM »
Fruity Loops 9. I am only using the default VSTs right now which sound horribly amateur, but I will replace them later since I am only really getting the rhythm and melodic layout down right now.  I'd recommend downloading obtaining some profressional ones if you look into the program.
Fruity Loops, huh?  I'm guessing that's similar to Garageband?  I might check it out, I liked GarageBand when I had a Mac.  How do you like the interface?

I'm still trying to find a software I like composing on.  I tried Sibelius and got fed up... as much as I like the sophistication it's not very user friendly.  My piano teacher was suggesting Finale or Cubase.

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 08:48:27 AM »
I don't actually have anything to compare it with, but from my experience I find it quite intuitive to use, but most of the tools (which aren't actually part of the interface [they come up in separate windows]) are modeled with an interface/GUI that represents real tangible audio synth tools which all look incredibly daunting to me, but they are programmed by 3rd parties so it really depends on the creators.

It is a favourite amongst electronica producers so there are loads of awesome (and terrible) guides and tutorials which really makes it the program of choice for amateurs.
kraken