Author Topic: Touhou on Linux and MacOS X, using Wine or Virtualization  (Read 134087 times)

Momiji

• Cya
Re: Touhou on Linux and MacOS X, using Wine
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »
I've been playing around with the Ten Desires trial, and it seems to work great in Wine.  Some of the text is still improperly rendered (due to the DIB engine issue), but outside that I haven't noticed any weird glitches yet.  Of course the custom.exe doesn't work.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »
Of course the custom.exe doesn't work.

Of course. :|

Should be noted that WINE users need to drop D3DX9_43.dll into the game directory. Runs like a dream for me in the 1.1.33 build.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »
Should be noted that WINE users need to drop D3DX9_43.dll into the game directory. Runs like a dream for me in the 1.1.33 build.
I'm running 1.3.16, didn't seem to need anything.

Tengukami

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »
Well then! Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 10:45:56 PM »
I'll add on a few things here for Mac users.

You're not stuck to using MacPorts or Fink.

Mac-based frontends for WINE that are good for use include Wineskin, Winebottler (on 1.1.44, discontinued?), and PlayOnMac.

I have a good bit of experience with WineBottler, which integrates with the system menu for settings and allows you to turn Windows programs to simple OS X application bundles (YMMV).
Played IN, UFO, and TD via this app and they work well without other modifications or even Winetricks (though the last one requires d3dx9_43.dll in the game directory). However, depending on your system performance may not be optimal (eg. 30-40FPS for MBP5,5 (2009 13") users).

Alternatively, there's Crossover, but that's commercial-grade stuff.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:47:59 PM by Okuu's Nuclear Fusion Photo Lab...?! »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 11:45:54 PM »
Whelp, I tried the DynaMarisa trial earlier.  Segfaults pretty hard.  =[

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 02:00:11 AM »
Question: Any mac users that got 10.5 to work successfully using the mentioned method (the th105l.exe etc)? its not working for me  :ohdear:

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 02:10:12 AM »
Question: Any mac users that got 10.5 to work successfully using the mentioned method (the th105l.exe etc)? its not working for me  :ohdear:
BTW by 10.5 do you mean SWR or Leopard? :colonveeplusalpha: 

I heard SWR, IaMP, and HSTS/UNL don't work well with Wine at all in Linux. Meaning that it'll do worse for us Mac users thanks to further porting of Wine.

Also, are you using the MacPorts method? I use WineBottler, personally, though I am toying with PlayOnMac as well.
Bad command or file name

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 02:21:28 AM »
BTW by 10.5 do you mean SWR or Leopard? :colonveeplusalpha: 

I heard SWR, IaMP, and HSTS/UNL don't work well with Wine at all in Linux. Meaning that it'll do worse for us Mac users thanks to further porting of Wine.

Also, are you using the MacPorts method? I use WineBottler, personally, though I am toying with PlayOnMac as well.
I alternate between Crossover and CXZ Diamond wrapper. Hmmm. It looks like i got to download the entire freaking library to apply one damned patch to assemble a working wine for SWR. I got IaMP to run on CXZ though...
Sigh....  :ohdear:

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 06:40:20 AM »
I alternate between Crossover and CXZ Diamond wrapper. Hmmm. It looks like i got to download the entire freaking library to apply one damned patch to assemble a working wine for SWR. I got IaMP to run on CXZ though...
Sigh....  :ohdear:
Hm, interesting.
As for Wine compilation, ouch. Might want to contact someone with Windows to apply the patch for you or use a VM...or have another system/Boot Camp.
Bad command or file name

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 09:42:16 AM »
Months ago I managed to port UNL to mac, but never got to see if multiplayer worked and some of the sprites were missing. I used a CXZ wrapper.

I also ported the other major touhou games to mac on september (with CXZ before, Wineskin later), but I upgraded my MacOs from 10.5 to 10.6 and their performance downgraded dramatically (they seem to get stuck at 30fps). Any idea on how to fix this? The same ports worked before the update and still do work on a recently bought iMac, so it probably has to do with some internal graphics update (well, my computer is a Macbook with GMA x3100, can't really expect much from it). However, switching from fullscreen to windowed mode doesn't affect performance, which suggests some option on wine or config change could be a solution.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:47:51 AM by Arekusu »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 06:57:35 PM »
Months ago I managed to port UNL to mac, but never got to see if multiplayer worked and some of the sprites were missing. I used a CXZ wrapper.
=|

...but I upgraded my MacOs from 10.5 to 10.6 and their performance downgraded dramatically (they seem to get stuck at 30fps). Any idea on how to fix this? The same ports worked before the update and still do work on a recently bought iMac, so it probably has to do with some internal graphics update (well, my computer is a Macbook with GMA x3100, can't really expect much from it).
From Wikipedia:
Although the new MacBook line no longer uses the X3100, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) ships with drivers supporting it that require no modifications to the kext file. Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), which includes a new 64-bit kernel in addition to the 32-bit one, does not include 64-bit X3100 drivers. This means that although the MacBooks with the X3100 have 64-bit capable processors and EFI, Mac OS X must load the 32-bit kernel to support the 32-bit X3100 drivers. November 9's 10.6.2 update ships with 64-bit X3100 drivers.
Is your install of 10.6 fully up-to-date?  This could be a factor in your graphics performance.  Then again that paragraph had a bunch of [citation needed] so it might be moot.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2011, 05:27:12 AM »

I also ported the other major touhou games to mac on september (with CXZ before, Wineskin later), but I upgraded my MacOs from 10.5 to 10.6 and their performance downgraded dramatically (they seem to get stuck at 30fps). Any idea on how to fix this? The same ports worked before the update and still do work on a recently bought iMac, so it probably has to do with some internal graphics update (well, my computer is a Macbook with GMA x3100, can't really expect much from it). However, switching from fullscreen to windowed mode doesn't affect performance, which suggests some option on wine or config change could be a solution.
Is your install of 10.6 fully up-to-date?  This could be a factor in your graphics performance.  Then again that paragraph had a bunch of [citation needed] so it might be moot.

Update your SL install to 10.6.7 (.8 is coming soon, though). It is true that pre-10.6.2 Mac OS does not come with X3100 64-bit drivers, and furthermore AFAIK Intel drivers were optimized over the course of the later versions (largely due to the 2010-11 MacBook Pros' use of Intel GMAs). They also contain smaller improvements for ATI/AMD GPUs (and very few for NVIDIA ones, oddly).

Also, instead of using Apple's X11 use XQuartz for the primary X Window System.

Any idea which iMac it is under System Profiler? If it's recent (2009 or later) I don't see why it should have issues. UNLESS, that is, yours has the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M as a GPU, which I know from experience is not very good at all (30-50FPS on TD trial via Wine + horrible NVIDIA drivers).

HSTS has issues, anyways, under Wine, PlayOnMac, etc. Haven't tried CrossOver yet (I use a VM or Boot Camp anyways :P).

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:31:19 AM by HARU Channel Syndications »
Bad command or file name

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 12:09:59 PM »
Quick fix for frameskip since 10D's custom.exe will not start in wine.

(click to view full size)
Your config fill will only appear this way if your options are default (and should be, unless you are using someone else's cfg file)
Open your th13.cfg in a hex editor.
Navigate to the byte circled. (by default it should be 01 00 00 02 64 50 00 02)
Change the byte in red to 01 and you now have 1/2 frameskip!

This works for MoF SA UFO DS and GFW. The cfg file has different lengths but the frame skip is almost always next to the 01 00 02 64 50
Spoiler:
Useless Fact: The first 4 bytes is game number

Also games tested on CXZ:
I wanna be the shrine maiden (Crashes before running)
Sengoku Gensokyo (Can't install properly, also gives errors)
MegaMari (Works)
Super Marisa World (Lolcrash after game starts)
Story of Eastern Wind (Missing sprites, somewhat playable but with invisible players and invisible enemies, it's harder than virtue of black squares)
Mystical Chain (Same missing sprites glitch, except screen likes not rendering EVERYTHING)
Seihou Banshiryuu (Likes crashing randomly during gameplay, playing on lunatic seems to make less errors occur)

Will test some more once my nonexistant wallet refils itself
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:50:45 AM by GTF »

Tengukami

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »
Would this solution also work in being able to slow the framerate of UFO fullscreen from 72 FPS to 60 FPS? Because that's the problem I'm having with UFO.

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
Would this solution also work in being able to slow the framerate of UFO fullscreen from 72 FPS to 60 FPS? Because that's the problem I'm having with UFO.
Unfortunately, no. Frameskip only helps reduce lag or framerate drop. But i suspect that it's running at 72fps because your computer is on 72Hz.... But i might be wrong...

Also anyone has any luck at running VSync on wine?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
Bug 13490 is fixed!  SWR is working fine for me now.  :D

If you have an Nvidia card, please update your drivers to 275.19 and see if it works.

Tengukami

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »

If you have an Nvidia card, please update your drivers to 275.19 and see if it works.

Wait what?? Oh man ...

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »

ffffffffuuu
Argh, that update is only for Linux? What is this blasphemy?  :ohdear:
Now I wanna play swr even more.

Also danmakufu ph3 runs on wine but I can't get it to detect the scripts. anyone got it to work flawlessly yet?
Running on Mac and cxz diamond btw.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »

What NVIDIA updates on OS X? :ohdear:
Sure, NVIDIA provides them but they are for Quadro GPUs, which are only on certain Mac Pros. Plus, driver-wise they're still absolutely horrendous, especially on Mac laptops. Even Intel drivers are better optimized!

Also, what Wine consistency between the Linux, BSD, and OS X camps? >:(
(it's also doubly insulting on the Mac end since the Linux/BSD crew is terribly unwilling to port, and most of us Mac users either aren't competent with Unix or know it but cannot wrap it around OS interfaces such as Cocoa, which would speed things up)

@GenericTouhouFailure: If you haven't yet, get Lion already! :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:16:13 PM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 05:03:31 AM »
Also, what Wine consistency between the Linux, BSD, and OS X camps? >:(
Wine is Wine, regardless of what platform it's on.  I'm not really sure what you're talking about with porting and Cocoa.  And anyway, this bug isn't even about Wine but Nvidia's drivers.

As for driver support on OS X, I dunno what to tell you about that.  =/

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 05:33:06 AM »
Wine is Wine, regardless of what platform it's on.  I'm not really sure what you're talking about with porting and Cocoa.  And anyway, this bug isn't even about Wine but Nvidia's drivers.

As for driver support on OS X, I dunno what to tell you about that.  =/
Well, Wine is Wine, yes. From the looks of your post, though, I don't think you've used Mac for a long period of time, so it's understandable that you may be confused about how it does things.

Wine can be ported over but we'd likely use BSD-style porting, due to OS X's BSD skeleton, rather than a full native port, out of laziness. Plus the way X11/XQuartz is managed on OS X is sub-optimal at best, compared to using native interfaces such as Quartz Composer and Cocoa, and furthermore it comes with some very odd quirks, such as severe mouse/tablet input lag on GIMP and Inkscape (both of which are direct ports that rely on X11 and fail to use any native OS APIs).
Also I haven't had too good of an experience with MacPorts or Fink, and stick to WineBottler, which is stuck on the stable 1.2.2 at the current time.

OS X driver support typically comes in OS updates and is not meant to be done from the user end, exception being for certain NVIDIA GPUs (GTX 285, Quadro 4000) that aren't offered by Apple on its system customization pages. Catch is that they are quite behind both version and feature-wise (we're still waiting on a complete OpenGL 3.0 implementation while Windows and Linux drivers already cover 4.1, significantly lower performance).

As for the bug fixing NVIDIA drivers, that's nice for owners of NVIDIA-equipped systems but doesn't cover me and my HD6870, but I haven't gotten to testing yet under either OS X Lion or Linux Mint 11.
Bad command or file name

Tengukami

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »
Updating Nvidia drivers in Linux is pretty easy - it's all terminal commands. It took some Googling for me to find the right method (and bear in mind, my system is based on Ubuntu, so these instructions may vary depending on your distro), but this is basically it:

1. Download the 275.19 driver from Nvidia and save it to your /home directory.
2. Hit Ctrl + Alt + F1 to enter console.
3. Log in with your user name and password.
4. Enter the command: sudo service gdm stop
5. Enter the command: sudo sh [filepath of driver]
6. Follow the instructions, then type: sudo service gdm start

You should then get some sort of restart prompt, or have to hit Ctrl + Alt + F7, depending on your system, and restart with a brand spankin' new Nvidia driver.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 07:27:17 PM »
Updating Nvidia drivers in Linux is pretty easy - it's all terminal commands.
Indeed it is! Only catch is that I had to recompile the kernel driver every time the kernel got updated.
Many current mainstream-oriented distros, including Ubuntu and related, will provide NVIDIA drivers under Hardware Drivers or the sort. While they will keep through kernel updates, the major drawback is that they are typically older and don't get updated until later (usually a new OS release).

I prefer using (sudo) su before sh NVIDIA_whatever.run, though. Also your instructions, while very easy to follow and perfect for Ubuntu, Mint, and (likely) Debian as well, assumes the client uses Gnome, which may be a bit of trouble for KDE, Xfce, etc. users.
Bad command or file name

Tengukami

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 07:32:56 PM »
I prefer using (sudo) su before sh NVIDIA_whatever.run, though. Also your instructions, while very easy to follow and perfect for Ubuntu, Mint, and (likely) Debian as well, assumes the client uses Gnome, which may be a bit of trouble for KDE, Xfce, etc. users.

Naturally, you should download the Nvidia that matches your system. The rest is self-explanatory.

I'm just glad to finally get this ancient copy of SWR actually running. Everything works great, except that once I enter a dual, the sound just totally cuts out.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »
Well, Wine is Wine, yes. From the looks of your post, though, I don't think you've used Mac for a long period of time, so it's understandable that you may be confused about how it does things.

Wine can be ported over but we'd likely use BSD-style porting, due to OS X's BSD skeleton, rather than a full native port, out of laziness. Plus the way X11/XQuartz is managed on OS X is sub-optimal at best, compared to using native interfaces such as Quartz Composer and Cocoa, and furthermore it comes with some very odd quirks, such as severe mouse/tablet input lag on GIMP and Inkscape (both of which are direct ports that rely on X11 and fail to use any native OS APIs).
Also I haven't had too good of an experience with MacPorts or Fink, and stick to WineBottler, which is stuck on the stable 1.2.2 at the current time.
OS X is still a *nix OS.  It still uses C and various offshoots of it, along with standard *nix-style C libraries.  I think most of the problems you may be talking about may be completely caused by Apple's reluctance to update certain "uncool" but necessary parts of the system (like, for example, holy crap Lion finally supports latest versions of OpenGL, and the last OS X release only just included hardware-accelerated OpenGL support through X11, herpityderp).  And...  Wine not using Cocoa is a sign of laziness?  I don't think you realize just how long it would take to do that.  :V

Maybe you need to pick an OS that's not so brain-damaged, or more like, given a Jobsian lobotomy.  I hear Macs run Windows pretty nicely.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:54:12 PM by Momiji »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »
Of course, I am aware Mac is POSIX-compliant so a lot of *nix libraries work on it natively.

I think most of the problems you may be talking about may be completely caused by Apple's reluctance to update certain "uncool" but necessary parts of the system (like, for example, holy crap Lion finally supports latest versions of OpenGL, and the last OS X release only just included hardware-accelerated OpenGL support through X11, herpityderp).
Oh good, two more reasons to install Lion.
Apple is more attempting to push its native APIs over the common Unix ones, largely thanks to how similar the iOS ones are.

And...  Wine not using Cocoa is a sign of laziness?  I don't think you realize just how long it would take to do that.  :V
* EP looks at GIMP Cocoa project
...yeah, it would.
But most of the MacPorts, Fink, and similar crew seem more bent on getting apps direct-ported over. That works...but at a hefty performance penalty thanks to shoddy OS implementations and an odd split between the Unix-based and OS X-based developer camps in most of these projects (though there are a few exceptions).

Maybe you need to pick an OS that's not so brain-damaged, or more like, given a Jobsian lobotomy.  I hear Macs run Windows pretty nicely.
Ehe, I use Windows, Mac, and Linux already. :smug:
My major reason for using OS X, other than long (~15 years) usage timespan, is for much of my audio (Logic), video (FCE4), and graphics (Pixelmator) work.
While the latter two are more debatable due to competent alternatives on Windows and Linux, for the first one OS X's Core Audio and Core MIDI APIs are very low-latency, flexible, and require very little configuration by end users. Logic, being an Apple product as well, ties with these quite well and offers a lot of content (~50GB) in addition for a cheap price.
And I technically have a Hackintosh unit ATM. Booting over to Windows and Linux isn't hard. :P

Also, I'd go ahead and give OS X a try for a few months or so at least before making a statement on it next time. It helps to know the situation firsthand, just saying ^_^
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:48:24 PM by PARU Magnificent Breweries GmbH »
Bad command or file name

Tengukami

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 11:58:16 PM »
Just about every musician and graphic designer I know uses Macs, for example.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 12:48:43 AM »
Also, I'd go ahead and give OS X a try for a few months or so at least before making a statement on it next time. It helps to know the situation firsthand, just saying ^_^
I think you missed the point.  Man, I hope I don't get as arrogant as you when I get your age.

GenericTouhouFailure

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2011, 09:04:02 AM »
10D's full ver works perfectly.
Except that for me even after 1ccing extra won't stay unlocked.
I guess it's time to search for a score.dat again...  :ohdear: