Author Topic: ROCK MAIDEN transparency problems  (Read 7464 times)

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
ROCK MAIDEN transparency problems
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
So, on my newest laptop, the entire ROCK MAIDEN trilogy has lost all transparency. Every single sprite now has a huge black box around it. This only happens on this particular computer, and there were a couple other games that also had graphical errors, two cases of which I fixed by toggling a couple display settings.

Is there any way I can tinker with these games to display properly, or am I totally out of luck? Here's a couple pictures to show what I mean. I've tried various compatibility mode and other right-click based settings, as well as reinstalling from disc, but nothing has worked so now I ask.

I'm willing to supply any needed info about computer specs or adjustments made to other games.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:25:05 PM by Thata no Guykoro »

Re: ROCK MAIDEN transparency problems
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:16:48 PM »
What's the operating system and graphics card? Try updating the graphics drivers, and DirectX as well.

Thata no Guykoro

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »
What's the operating system and graphics card? Try updating the graphics drivers, and DirectX as well.
Windows 7 and Intel HD Graphics 520. I've already got DirectX as far as I can go on 7; I've tried updating graphics drivers but I can't find if there's any more recent than the currently installed ones that I can use; a lot of the newest downloads on Intel's site spit back "windows 8 and up only" errors.

I can confirm the games displayed properly on another Windows 7 computer.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:43:48 PM by Thata no Guykoro »

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
I think these are the latest for Windows 7:
Version: 15.45.23.4860 for 64-bit Windows
Version: 15.40.14.4352 for 32-bit Windows

If that doesn't help, could you tell me what options made a difference in other games and what's the exact model of your laptop?

Thata no Guykoro

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:12:53 PM »
No luck - neither of those drivers is valid for this computer.

In terms of options that made a difference: Youyou Kengeki Mosou originally displayed Youmu and all other models as a garbled mess, but turning off Shadermodel 3.0 reverted them to normal. Trilby's Notes had huge glaring color issues when fullscreen (such as radiating rings of colors that weren't supposed to be there), but when windowed displayed completely properly. Other than that, every game is either still graphically busted, or (in 99% of cases) displays without an issue. I have tried swapping Rock Maiden between fullscreen and windowed, but neither case made a difference.

In case it helps: Before and After for Trilby's Notes
and Before and After for Kengeki Mosou

Exact model:

Tecra A50 SkyLake
Windows 7 Professional
Intel? Core? i5-6200U Processor
Intel? HD Graphics 520
15.6-inch diagonal widescreen FHD 1920 x 1080 display
8 GB DDR3L 1600MHz = 4 GB x 2
1 TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:27:10 PM by Thata no Guykoro »

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 07:31:18 PM »
Hmm... You should be able to find the proper drivers on Toshiba's site - either the European or the American one.

Thata no Guykoro

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 11:14:49 PM »
No luck - found them just fine and I was able to install both the latest (20.19.15.4360) and previous (20.19.15.4300) drivers but neither one fixed the error, sprites are still non-transparent.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 05:22:56 AM »
If you know how to boot Windows into Safe Mode (usually involves pressing a certain key upon powering-on the computer), you can force-update your graphics drivers (or revert your drivers if it doesn't work).
Version: 15.45.23.4860 for 64-bit Windows should be the correct driver for your system. Download the exe.
Also download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) (current latest version is v17.0.9.0) and the latest Toshiba driver.
Boot into safe mode, use DDU to uninstall the Intel drivers, reboot into Safe Mode, install the newer Intel Graphics drivers, then reboot back into your desktop.
If the new driver doesn't fix your issue, that's unfortunate, but at least you're using the latest graphics drivers.
If the new driver doesn't work at all (black screen, crash, etc.), go back to safe mode, remove the driver with DDU, then reinstall the Toshiba driver.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Thata no Guykoro

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 10:28:46 PM »
Okay, so. The good news is that installing the intel drivers not only did not wreck my system and (so far, I haven't checked every single one) not break any previously working game, it also fixed one of the broken-graphically games.

The bad news is that it didn't fix Rock Maiden. It seems like drivers aren't the issue here, so if there is a solution I guess it'd be some sort of setting workaround or something? Iunno.

Still, I got somewhere with that, so thanks a lot for the info!

Thata no Guykoro

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 05:32:00 AM »
Bumping this topic to post that I found a solution in case anyone else ever runs into the same issue; applying a program called dgVoodoo to the games caused them to display properly, with complete transparency in all three games.

For example.

The problem's fully resolved!