Author Topic: NieR:Automata - Gameplay, discussion, help  (Read 20119 times)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Re: NieR:Automata - Gameplay, discussion, help
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2018, 05:26:49 AM »
So I'm trying to
Spoiler:
fight Emil at his house and I can't seem to damage him at all. Hacking seems to do nothing, all of my attacks do either 0 or 1 damage, and he can kill me cleanly in two hits. Am I doing something wrong? I'm level 67, am I just supposed to grind for hours and hours before I can even attempt this? Is it a scripted fight where I just have to survive? I don't really know what I'm doing here.
You can actually grind quickly by equipping as many +EXP chips as possible, and
Spoiler:
hacking the bunny statue in the amusement park. I never tried it myself, but you can reach level 99 much faster than just by killing enemies.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2018, 06:01:49 AM »
Spoiler:
So it is just underleveling then? I don't need a special item to damage him or anything?

Didn't realize you could re-fight the statue. It took me *forever* to get it to move the first time. Like a solid five minutes of spamming attacks and charged specials at him. I assume that's based on dealing a certain amount of damage and therefore gets quicker over time? Or does it just always take that long?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2018, 07:45:07 AM »
So I'm trying to
Spoiler:
fight Emil at his house and I can't seem to damage him at all. Hacking seems to do nothing, all of my attacks do either 0 or 1 damage, and he can kill me cleanly in two hits. Am I doing something wrong? I'm level 67, am I just supposed to grind for hours and hours before I can even attempt this? Is it a scripted fight where I just have to survive? I don't really know what I'm doing here.

Spoiler:
No, you don't need to be high level. I defeated him around same level as well. If you're playing Hard mode, he will one-shot you regardless of the equipment you carry. If you really want to beat him on Hard, you need to grind. Otherwise if you want to go for the story experience, switch to Normal. Warning: He can still 2-3 shot you depending on the attacks.

Weapons
Your weapon of choice should be Spear of the Usurper. This one has Critical Up and is very overpowered. Secondary can be Fang of the Twins. High damage, crit up. Make sure both your weapons are level 4. You need maximum damage. If you don't have Fang of the Twins, you should definitely go for Usurper. If you don't have that one either then prepare for effort and raging because it is going to be a long fight.
If you have 2B as partner, equip her with best damage/crit weapons as well.

Pod
Machine gun pod with spears skill or laser. Ditch the protection and such.

Chips
- Must have chip: Anti Chain Damag. 2s one is minimum unless you're extremely fast with your responses to heal up. His attack where he spams his faces as bouncing balls will wreck you and you need the invincibility time to heal up.
- Very important chip: Continous combo. While you evade, you don't want to break your combo.
- Important chips: Critical rate, increased weapon damage, increased melee defense, 

Tactics
- I didn't hack him. Melee/pod attack only.
- Spam all L potions that boost your stats, i.e.: Defence up etc. These are cheap to buy so stock them up
- Use the machine gun Pod non-stop. Your pod should never stop firing, except when you use Pod skill.
- Make sure you always execute evasive skill where you potentially "get hit" (The button you press where you turn translucent and negate damage while doing fancy acrobatics). This is something you need to master fully.
- Emil's faces as projectiles which bounce -> Use Pod fire and evade until projectiles disappear. Melee attacking is impossible because he drives around too much and he will easily kill you.
- Large laser where he spins -> Attack and evade + use Pod
- Regular drive around and halts momentarily -> Attack + pod
- Dazed -> Attack + pod
- Always be at full health! ALWAYS. Stock up 99 of full/large heals.

Whenever your Pod laser is cooled down -> spam skill. If you have 3 pods, charge up all three. The damage is really good.
Patience is the key. Time your attacks and monitor Emil's attacks. Back off when you notice you failed a combo or he is suddenly going crazy.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:49:02 AM by Helepolis »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2018, 03:33:57 AM »
Spoiler:
So I spent forever grinding for New Bolts in the amusement park and ended up killing the rabbit a few times in the process, which cranked my level up to 78 in no time and resulted in me being overprepared for Emil. I completely wrecked him, even without being able to get the materials to make Spear Of The Usurper Level 4 (I found one New Bolt after like an hour of clearing the amusement park entrance over and over).

I feel so bad about bullying poor Emil! Much worse than I feel about butchering heaps and heaps of harmless clown machines who just want to party.

So how do I get Emil to change shop inventories? I've seen him with chips and low-level materials, but my understanding is that he has a high-level materials inventory too, right? I've tried everything I could think of but haven't been able to get him to offer it to me. I need a bunch of Meteorite Shards and some other odds and ends to finish all my weapons.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2018, 04:23:15 AM »
I believe it depends on where you encounter him. There's a slight variance, though, so sometimes you still won't get the right inventory even in the right spot.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »

So this is my car now.

So this is my life now.

Spoiler:
Every day is great! When! You're! Meeeee!

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2018, 07:40:17 PM »
I think you mean
Spoiler:
"Every Day's Great When You're Emile" sung with the Junes jingle.

That said, as interesting as Emile is, he's nor my favorite character. Give me a Pascal or YoRHA sticker any day. ;)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2018, 03:21:56 AM »
Alright, so I'm trying to wrap up the loose ends and I think I must be doing something wrong.

Spoiler:
After I beat Emil in the cave he didn't acknowledge that anything had happened next time I talked to him. He still had the "Hell in a handbasket" dialogue. He also won't budge from directly in front of the entrance to the desert. He'll drive around a little bit, but he never leaves that corner and his inventory never changes from chips. I've tried transporting, running around, leaving my game idling, and exiting the game and re-entering and he won't move or change his wares.

I tried moving to a different chapter and that reset his dialogue completely back to his very first lines. No acknowledgment that I've been to his house or fought him or anything, still won't move around very much, still won't change his inventory. Does anyone know what's going on here? Did I need to do something specific to "turn in" the battle with him? Is there a reason he's hanging out exclusively by the desert entrance? I feel like I can't really move forward until I get this worked out and nothing I try is working.

Edit: Okay, so I eventually got him to move and change inventories. He only seems able to move away from the desert in some chapters or something? It's all very unclear and confusing. And now I have basically no money left to actually upgrade the weapons after buying all of the materials...

Edit edit: Wait, is the dinosaur machine in the forest near the end of the game Shin Gojira? It's got the spine lasers and the flamerthrower breath and everything. Coincidence or timely reference?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:29:44 AM by commandercool »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2018, 05:08:25 AM »
On Emil:

Spoiler:
Upgrade all of the game's weapons to level 4. Good luck with the Simple Gadgets.

On the last paragraph: Yes. That is totally a reference to that.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2018, 01:15:08 AM »
Spoiler:
Alright, so I got all of my weapons completely upgraded. Do I need all pods maxed out as well to finish the Emil quest? My Pod C is still at base level and I'm trying to fill out my unit data to get turn in the recon quest and get the gadgets I need to upgrade the pod, but grinding for rare unit spawns is the most tedious shit ever and I haven't even started on the really atrociously low ones yet.

I know about the ending in the second Emil fight that you can only get before you beat him. Is there anything else I need to do or should know about?

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2018, 07:48:09 AM »
Question 1: I don't believe it's necessary for those, but I already had mine maxed, so I don't know for sure. (Also, that enemy you're talking about counts for the bestiary - er, mechiary? Either way, it'll help for that quest.)

Question 2: No.

Move eternally forward,

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2018, 10:50:38 PM »
You've probably already seen this, but just in case...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L-XtMNYHsZc

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2018, 01:47:01 AM »
Alright, I
Spoiler:
finished Emil's Determination. It was a complete cake walk given that I'm probably overleveled at this point (88) even though my chips are crappy and not optimized at all. Poor guy... Want to hug.

Well, time to check off all the endings and mop up the remaining achievements I guess.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2018, 07:22:12 AM »
Game becomes extremely easy ye when you're high level. Even though the level of the mobs scale, they are one-shot material. Though that is fine imo if you want to go for all the achievements and such otherwise it becomes a drag.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2018, 12:37:56 PM »
The scaling feels weird, I just naturally ended up at that level in the process of
Spoiler:
getting all the weapons upgraded
. I never even really had EXP chips equipped or anything.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »
Me neither. Exp chips didn't seem significant enough for me. What I did do was equip drop increase chips. Because that way you'll be rolling in money very fast and upgrades are ez.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2018, 05:35:01 PM »
Yeah, I actually had a serious money deficit when upgrading my weapons at times. Grinding a certain infinite spawn point for twenty minutes fixed that and gave me tons of upgrade materials I was looking for though, so once I read about that it wasn't an issue.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2018, 07:16:16 PM »
Ye those spawn points are great for fast moni. Also I practically sold all chips which didn't had the diamond on them.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2018, 06:18:51 AM »
Alright, I'm 100% complete. Got the platinum trophy, got the absolute final ending. This game is really a roller coaster. I didn't like it at all for the first route, thought it was only okay for the second route, and by the end of the third I was convinced that it's among the best games of all time. If that's not a crazy ride I don't know what is.