Author Topic: Danganronpa V3 is here!  (Read 23215 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Danganronpa V3 is here!
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
Got my copy, took the day off work, gonna see if I can beat it in one sitting.  :D
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: Danganronpa V3 is here!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »
Hell yeah

Case 1 spoilers
Spoiler:
loved the passing of the baton

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 01:17:30 AM »
Case 1 spoilers:

Spoiler:
WHAT THE FUCK?! I have seen some upsetting shit from this franchise, but this is a strong contender for the worst thing yet. I don't think it's quite the worst in a vacuum, but putting it at the beginning of the story rather than toward the end makes it so much worse...

I don't think I was going to be able to come close to finishing this game today anyway, but I'm honestly not sure I can keep playing right away after that. I think I need a break...

Edit: Oh christ no no no not Claire De Lune what the fuck! I have some very negative feelings associated with that song already. It's like they knew about that and put this here to fuck with me personally. This isn't faaaair!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:29:42 AM by commandercool »

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:39:26 PM »
So, Case 1 thoughts (featuring discussions with Sapz and Finn):

Spoiler:
<Sect> My guess for who killed the first victim: Shuichi, who turned on the flash to attract ???'s attention, and set up one of the shotputs to roll onto his head when he investigated the camera.
<Sapz> No comment, etc, but a fun guess :V
<Sect> I'm about to start the class trial, and I'm going to stick with it. Shuichi decided that the best way to deal with the mastermind was to lure them into investigating the camera, after which the ball would drop on their head. The reason he prompted the class trial and participated in the investigation was because he wanted to confirm that Rantaro was the mastermind. Either Rantaro was not the mastermind, or he
<Sect> was an accomplice.
<Sect> Time to see how off I am!
<Sapz> :V
<Sapz> Have fun

<Sect> @later tell Sapz WHAT THE HELL
<Keine-tan> Sect: Okay! ^_^
<FinnKaenbyou> I suspect I know what just happened, Sect, but if you want to confirm in PM I'd appreciate that
<Sect> Dangan Ronpa V3. Murderer of the first case.
<FinnKaenbyou> YUP
<Sect> HOLY SHIT
<FinnKaenbyou> When I saw you talk to Sapz about how much you liked Kaede I was just like 'oh, Sect, dear, you are in for a fun time.'
<Sect> THEY RUSED ME HARD
<FinnKaenbyou> WELCOME TO DANGAN RONPA
<Sect> THIS IS MORE DANGAN RONPA THAN I EXPECTED
<Sect> Wait fuck, is Shuichi going to take off his hat and reveal he has a protagonist ahoge?

Spoiler for that last line (and Chapter 2):
Spoiler:
Yes he does.

Ohhhh man, Sapz was right, this is going to be good.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »
Chapter 1 spoilers:

Spoiler:
I'm just amazed how much sense it makes. When the lie mechanic was introduced I was like "Wait a minute, aren't I making a lot of assumptions here about why I need to do this?" but no, I apparently knew why I needed to do that the whole time...

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me now is the promo video covering up the noise. That was just a lucky coincidence, right? I can accept that the whole Rube Goldberg contraption worked perfectly the first time with no testing, but the fact that a loud noise happened to come along to cover it up at exactly the right moment is a bit of a stretch. Or did I miss something and Kaede had reason to expect that to happen at just that time?

Is it wrong that I have my fingers crossed for some kind of insane twist to bring back Kaede? Like this was actually some kind of elaborate setup with Rantaro and he has some kind of bullshit get-out-of-jail-free talent and she'll come back to save everyone again in the last case...?

Stupid Danganronpa... So fucking traumatized again... :D

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
Chapter 1

Spoiler:
The first case threw me for a loop in the beginning. Similarly to Sect.. Like, Shuichi gives off some really weird vibes. When you set up the library cameras they make him choose who sets up what camera, and he acts all relieved / happy when the setup is done. And he goes chasing after the group that goes downstairs, leaving you alone... and they almost never bring up what exactly he was doing down there.

But when the iron ball was revealed I went like "wut, hold on". It had to have fallen from above but when did Shuichi have the time to do that? He didn't. It gets 100% crystal when they remind you that Kaede is the one who left the air vent open for NO REASON AT ALL except if she wanted an inanimate object to pass through it.

Really, though, why does he have to have an ahoge? I never liked that shit yo.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:35:34 PM by BT »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »
Chapter 1:

Spoiler:
I can buy Shuichi's weird behavior as a combination of his hangups surrounding his own talent, nervousness, and just plain 'ol red herrings.

There's this weird moment when he goes to get the cameras from Miu and acts suspicious for no good reason, seemingly forgetting what he's doing and why. And I think there's no reason for it aside from putting suspicion on the cosplay girl, since we don't know about her bizarre limitations yet at that point. But I guess that's fine, it's well established that he's no stone-cold motherfucker like Kyoko and he definitely gets flustered and confused several times.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 01:40:32 AM »
Chapter 2:

Spoiler:
I call bullshit on the game for saying I got the wrong answer about the time of death the first time around, I totally had the correct answer the first time for the right reason!

This case was pretty easy all things considered, but man, it was REALLY rough. Is it just me or is this game a lot more brutal than the first two? Or at least the really horrible stuff is coming along earlier in the plot. I don't know how much more of this I can take...

Also, I'm not crazy in remembering that the basic premise of the setting that keeps being vaguely hinted at was plainly announced when the game was revealed, right? The game is treating it like a huge secret but it was part of the pitch of the game. Wasn't it?

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »
Spoiler:
Yes, I remember they talked about the setting in one of the infomercials. In hindsight, huge spoiler, what where they thinking??

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »
As someone who played the game a while ago, I've been waiting a long time to see these reactions. You guys are in for quite a ride. :V
Let's fight.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »
Chapter 1:

Spoiler:
I thought the culprit was going to be Shuichi, too. I was just as shocked as you guys were to find it was Kaede.

Chapter 2:

Spoiler:
Well, it makes sense things would be rougher than in the first two games; serial escalation, and all that.

I'm curious as to how Korekiyo's FTEs will explain his personality. Given his talent, you'd think he'd act like a saint, but instead he acts like a creepy guy with slightly-above-average bullshit tolerance.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 01:59:20 PM »
I swear Oma's dumb creep face gives me PTSD. Not really a spoiler. He's just a jerk.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 02:33:01 PM »
His voice acting is phenomenal. I'm honestly not sure which version of him I think is the lie. Definitely one of my favorite characters so far because he's so well done. But yeah, he does seem to be a monster creep.

So remind me, to what degree are we sure supernatural powers exist in this franchise? Is there any hard evidence of it yet? Ultra Despair Girls gets extremely close to proving ghosts exist, but it's still left just a bit ambiguous. Did anything in the anime confirm it one way or the other?

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »
Beats me, I didn't watch the anime. SDR2 did whatever the hell it wanted by abusing the fact that
Spoiler:
it's in a simulation
. I think the franchise skirts the line on purpose because it's more fun and unpredictable that way.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 03:36:42 PM »
You should watch the anime, it's good.

Then again, my morning routine still includes an "Am I still traumatized by seeing  the Danganronpa anime?" check to this day and the answer is still yes, so maybe don't watch it...

Plus Alter Ego doesn't appear so it's worthless.

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
Currently at chapter 5!

This is the first time i've ever played a Danganronpa game completely unspoiled and it is a wild fucking ride

Ch. 1 spoilers:
Spoiler:
I still miss Kaede a lot. At least Shuichi looks a lot better hatless

also, a bit of advice applicable to chapter 2 and on:
Spoiler:
Check the labs of the dead kids after every chapter. All of them. There's new dialogue, even for the ones who died earlier.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 01:51:35 AM »
If
Spoiler:
Shuichi
and
Spoiler:
Kaito
don't make out by the end of the game I'm going to be disappointed.

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
Chapter 2 thoughts:

Spoiler:
<Sect> Okay, I don't know what's going on with the second case. The only person that seems suspicious is Kaito, especially with him saying that the stuff int he pool was unimportant, but I can't think of a good motive for him other than him going crazy because the robo Monokub returned all of the motives to the right people (because Shuichi and the others didn't realize that the mixing up of the motives was accidenta
<Sect> l in the first place, and thought that it was just a game). Even then, it seems a bit out of character for Kaito, and the only reason I'm really sticking with it is Shuichi's monologue after his training with Kaito.

I didn't even suspect Kirumi until the moment that you had to select the culprit. It made perfect sense when the pieces came together, and her motive for killing was... kind of crazy, but sensible. Ryoma, though, really has it rough, especially with that motive.

Also, I liked Maki from the beginning, but she's becoming even better for me. She's currently my second favorite female character, after Kaede (sob). Kaito's my favorite male character.

Now onto Case 3, and beginning the trial:

Spoiler:
I have no idea who killed Angie or Tenko. I'm just happy that they finally killed a character I didn't like. The method of creating the locked room for Angie is pretty obvious, by stabbing the katana in the Kaede effigy and spinning her right round baby right round in order to get the room to lock after leaving, and Tenko's murder seems straight forward. Who did it is the big question.

EDIT: More thoughts before starting Trial 3:
Spoiler:
I don't think Kokichi or Kiyo are responsible for Angie's death, because they both would have known about the gold leaf falling off and leaving clues. Neither of them could have killed Tenko because they were involved in the seance, and the logistics to getting underneath the floor while chanting in darkness would have been difficult. Kokichi could have snuck away to do the stabbing, since I thought I heard someone drop off in the middle of the chant, but it would have been dumb for him to reveal that the other room had similar sabotage done to it. That does show that someone had already planned for the seance to be done, though, even if they didn't know which room it would be in: they decided to not let it go to chance by preparing all three of the dark rooms for a murder opportunity...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 05:29:24 PM by Sect »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 06:12:24 PM »
Second case:

Spoiler:
I got fixated on the black cloth and therefore Kirumi pretty early on, to the point that I was losing points by trying to use it as evidence for everything whenever it was available. I was guessing that someone else requested her to commit the murder though which didn't end up being the case.

Before the third trial:

Spoiler:
At this point Kokichi and the student council members are the only logical suspects since I don't think anyone else could get into the lab.

Right now my prime suspect is Kibo by way of Miu. Maybe she modified him to commit the murder against his will, since she's obviously been tinkering with him. That doesn't really explain a motive though, since I don't think she's that reckless or THAT callous to just kill someone to try to escape at this point.

As motives go my best guess is that it's one of the council members and the murders were committed at Angie's request for some kind of weird occult reason. Which still makes Kibo my main suspect at this point.

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 10:36:23 PM »
Third Trial conclusion:

Spoiler:
As I was playing, I was thinking about my earlier thoughts and went "wait a second, those are exactly the reasons I should suspect those two". And lo and behold, Kiyo was the killer. And a complete fruitbat.

Very end of Chapter Three:

Spoiler:
Kaito! Nooooooooo! ;___;

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 12:01:09 AM »
Third trial proceedings:

Spoiler:
Really not sure how I feel about the lie about Tenko dying instantly. It seems pretty tricky to deduce that's what you're supposed to do without trial and error because you're using it to refute Maki and Maki knows that it's not true and can easily refute it. I get that it's a thematic thing to show that she's on the same page with Shuichi at this point and trusts him, but I don't know how you're supposed to decide to do that. Maybe the point is that you're supposed to exhaust every other option before coming to that, I don't know, but I don't really like how it works out. It feels like a kind of bullshit use of the perjury mechanic, which is what I've been kind of worried about since it was introduced.

Edit:
Does it look like
Spoiler:
the Necronomicon
was illustrated by
Spoiler:
Hideshi Hino
to anyone else? Not sure if that's a deliberate reference or not, but if it is then it's great.

Edit edit:
Yeah, I gotta admit, I like
Spoiler:
Kokichi
quite a bit.
Spoiler:
I don't think he's that terrible, I think he's just a fucked up kid who doesn't know how better to relate to people. Same with Miu, as terrible as they both are at (a lot of) times. There's honestly not a member of the cast that I don't like quite a bit left with Korekiyo gone. That means that if there are two more cases things are potentially going to continue to be really rough.

They've already pulled the "they did it for good reasons" motive twice, so I'm not sure how more killings could be justified. I don't doubt that there are plenty of ways, but I don't think any of these people are secretly monsters waiting to make their move like Korekiyo was. I guess the "suicide to save everyone else" motive is still open, or an accidental death, or some kind of Danganronpa 2-style sudden personality shift in someone based on a flashback.

Edit edit edit:
Very very beginning of fourth chapter:
What is
Spoiler:
Rantaro
talking about? Or maybe more specifically
Spoiler:
who is he talking to? Who "wanted this killing game"? Was it everyone? Just one person in the class? A separate mastermind that we haven't directly met yet? Does this mean he's related to Ultimate Despair somehow? Aaaah I got work tomorrow so I have to go to bed but I want to keep playing and find oooout...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:36:23 AM by commandercool »

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 03:56:15 AM »
Before Trial 4:

Spoiler:
Every time, I say that Kokichi is the killer, and I?m wrong. Well, I?m almost certain that I?m not wrong this time. I think Miu was planning onk killing Kokichi this time, or at least making him not a problem by freezing him, but he got one up on her. Also, the poison is a red herring.

EDIT: Wow, uh,
Spoiler:
Monokuma is tired now. Weird.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:59:46 AM by Sect »

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 06:47:51 AM »
End of 4.
Spoiler:
Fuck you Kokichi.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
Edit edit edit:
Very very beginning of fourth chapter:
What is
Spoiler:
Rantaro
talking about? Or maybe more specifically
Spoiler:
who is he talking to? Who "wanted this killing game"? Was it everyone? Just one person in the class? A separate mastermind that we haven't directly met yet? Does this mean he's related to Ultimate Despair somehow? Aaaah I got work tomorrow so I have to go to bed but I want to keep playing and find oooout...
I thought (this is me playing blind but I might ruin it for you if I'm right, proceed at your own risk)
Spoiler:
it was a video they each left for themselves, before they voluntarily erased their memories.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
That makes sense.

I have a relatively comprehensive theory about what has happened and will happen so far in the overarcing plot. It's partly based on spoilers present in the marketing material and announcement of the game though, so I don't know that I can really call it *my* theory.

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 01:43:54 PM »
Partway through chapter 5:

Spoiler:
The reveal that everyone was an Ultimate student from Hope?s Peak Academy has me... dissatisfied? Like, I can?t help but feel there?s something off about it. I think it might be a false memory used to give the students ?hope? as a last resort. I dunno, we?ll see.

Also, OT3 Shuichi/Kaito/Maki.

EDIT: Still where I left off, and have been thinking about the previous spoiler:
Spoiler:
The more I think on it, the more I think that the last memory is just Kokichi implanting false memories to give the survivors hope and to make things more interesting. Kokichi mentioned in a previous case a show or game about a killing game that was straight up Dangan Ronpa. Either the events of the previous games were made into games for... dunno, Future Foundation funding, or the previous games never happened in this timeline and were always just games that Kokichi was a fan of. Point is, I'm pretty sure the memories are false.

I think the reveal that they're on a spaceship/habitat on a ruined Earth is real, but the nature of the participants is not what Kokichi claims. Rantaro's foreknowledge indicates that he's aware of the killing games and was a past participant, which makes me wonder if everyone are clones that have memories inputted into them. I'm also curious why Kokichi doesn't have a lab of his own. Either it's just hidden, or he's not an original student, and there was only supposed to be fifteen students on the spaceship. I dunno. We'll see tonight.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:07:31 PM by Sect »

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 12:11:32 AM »
Pre-trial Five:

Spoiler:
They're being rather coy with who died during this case, and Monokuma says that it will be revealed when the trial starts. My guess... is that Kaito shot Kokichi with the poisoned bolts, but was unable to finish off Kokichi, and Kokichi stabbed Kaito with the remaining dart. Kokichi then dragged Kaito to the press after drinking the antidote, and crushed Kaito's corpse before disposing of his outfit to hide the fact that he got shot.

... Maybe? I dunno. We'll see.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 02:35:52 AM »
Trial Five spoiler picture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lndyyo3y3pd6ed/Photo%20Oct%2002%2C%2022%2019%2052.jpg?dl=0

I am drowning in my own death rattles. Or something. Shit is weird.

EDIT: Trial Five ending.

Spoiler:
That... was a thing. I kind of guessed it halfway through, but still. Wild. And now my OT3 is dead. ;_____;

Oh, and everything is Junkos.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:19:38 AM by Sect »

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »
Trial Six, pre:

Spoiler:
Sep 25 21:07:01 <ArashiKurobara>   can confirm, Sapz did a lot of listening to theories without comment on other games for me :V
Sep 25 21:07:58 <Sect>   Well, here's my crackpot theory after getting out of the... uh, prologue? None of the characters are Ultimates, they just had false memories and skills uploaded into them. The ??? dude is the exception because he's going to be the "control" by having nothing about him altered.
Sep 25 21:10:47 <Sapz>   Oho

That's looking awfully accurate there. Obviously I was wrong about Rantaro, but the rest seems fine. My updated guess is that this is a Hunger Games style game based on an in-world fiction about Dangan Ronpa (think a fanfiction type game, I suppose), and while everyone dies you still get a reward for being a survivor. Why Rantaro decided to go through it twice is anyone's guess. There's... probably also going to be something about Kaede not actually being the killer or something, what with the shotput with the pink threads (she had wrapped her spare uniform around the shotput).

EDIT: Flash of thought before the trial:

Spoiler:
Tsumugi is the mastermind.

She's barely done anything throughout the entire game.

She was in the ladies' bathroom, where the secret path to the Motherbear room is.

If the two Dangan Ronpa games are "fictional", then she can dress up as Junko without her cospox triggering because Junko is fictional.

She could possibly dress up as the other characters, if their personalities and skills are "fictional".

EDITEDIT: Trial 6 save point.

Spoiler:
What the fuck.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:37:36 PM by Sect »

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »
Aaaaand finished Danganronpa V3. I'll take time before saying what I think about it. Whew.