Author Topic: The Danganronpa Anime Is Out (Spoiler Warning For The Games)  (Read 41237 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: The Danganronpa Anime Is Out (Spoiler Warning For The Games)
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2016, 01:59:32 AM »
Last episooooode!

Spoiler:
Honestly I can't really imagine this being fully satisfying. There's too much shit to wrap up.

Okay, it was Hajime. Good. He's got a lot of work to do.

Hey now Hajmie, don't get ahead of yourself... You didn't bring everyone back. *cry*

Ooooh, Nagito's got a robot hand! And may have just casually murdered a bunch of good guys, but I guess it's possible he just cut them off..?

Just couldn't resist introducing yet another cast of quirky characters, huh? Fair enough I guess. So what's their deal? If I understand right they were supposed to be reinforcements for Future Foundation but they got brainwashed by the broadcast in the helicopter on the way over? Or something? Oh yeah, I guess they all got those visors.

Alright, so the Danganronpa 2/Despair Arc story wrapped semi-nicely, but that took up a lot of episode. And didn't really cover everything. Got a lot of ground left to cover in ~10 minutes...

Ryota x Impostor? I'd ship it.

OH SHIT, Kyoko is alive. I'll admit that as much as I don't love that they faked out two deaths of core cast members, I was totally happy to see her alive. I guess I'm a sucker for pleasant things happening after all of the fucking horror.

COME ON, 54 SECONDS LEFT, SHOW ME ALTER EGO PLEASE!

Aw... No? Fine...

Well, that was relatively satisfying I guess. It didn't tie up all the loose ends, but it got most of them. And as nice as the Chiaki thing was, and it was nice, I still choose to believe that Alter Chiaki is alive. There's literally no reason she shouldn't be. By all accounts she should be alive, hangin' out with Alter Ego and Monomi in the New World Program. Somebody should probably go get them so they can like... Help make the future and shit.

Hmm. I think part of my not-quite-satisfaction has to do with the franchise's persistent failure to quite tie all of its themes together. I think I gotta re-watch this episode and think on it a while. I'm really pleased it was a happy ending though.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2016, 02:14:44 AM »
Spoiler:
Hmm. I think part of my not-quite-satisfaction has to do with the franchise's persistent failure to quite tie all of its themes together. I think I gotta re-watch this episode and think on it a while. I'm really pleased it was a happy ending though.

Spoiler:
I got the impression that they decided, "okay there's no way we're going to tie up all the themes meaningfully, let's go full pandering like people were expecting for the Despair Arc."

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2016, 02:19:58 AM »
Spoiler:
So I'm trying to think over how the overall arc of the series goes versus the arc of just this show, and I think this is a really solid, satisfying ending to Danganronpa 3. It doesn't really work as an ending to the series, but as an ending to the show it works. Which is weird because the anime needs the rest of the franchise for context to make any goddamn sense, but it's not like Danganronpa has ever had the best installment-to-installment continuity. I think that's more of a flaw with Danganronpa than it is with this show. If it wanted to really make me happy it would have gone way out of the way to fix that problem, but I guess that's a bit much to expect...

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2016, 01:40:55 PM »
Danganronpa 3 Hope Arc:

In a nutshell I was just fangirling everywhere.

Spoiler:
AND REDDIT COMES THROUGH WITH THE MEDICINE BOTTLE THEORY YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!! KIRIGIRI IS ALIVE YES YEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!! MakatoXKyoko BECAUSE I SHIP LIKE FED-EX
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2016, 04:24:55 PM »
Danganronpa 3 Hope Arc:

In a nutshell I was just fangirling everywhere.

Spoiler:
AND REDDIT COMES THROUGH WITH THE MEDICINE BOTTLE THEORY YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!! KIRIGIRI IS ALIVE YES YEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!! MakatoXKyoko BECAUSE I SHIP LIKE FED-EX

Spoiler:
Well at least someone's favorite characters survived. *cry*

I guess of all of my favorites at least The Impostor got Good End. And maybe Alter Ego, we don't actually know apparently?

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »
Spoiler:
Well at least someone's favorite characters survived. *cry*

I guess of all of my favorites at least The Impostor got Good End. And maybe Alter Ego, we don't actually know apparently?
Spoiler:
-hugs commander- I understand, to be honest I like Hiyoko  and Mikan (I'm ready for that firing squad now) hmm... but I'm wondering how all of this will tie in with Daganronpa V3...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:28:58 AM by MewMewHeart »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »
As far as I understand it, it's very possible it won't at all. It hasn't been explicitly stated yet, but it's been implied that the new game is in its own continuity that doesn't connect to this one at all aside from also having Monokuma. Or it might just be that it takes place in the same universe but with none of the same characters. At any rate, it seems like it takes place well into the future, so none of the existing cast will probably be in it directly.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2016, 07:43:22 PM »
I just realized something about this last episode.

Spoiler:
Technically this information has been on the table for a while, but it resolves the AI Junko plot hole that's been a problem for a while now.

Previously we had no reason to assume that beating AI Junko in the New World Program would get rid of her. If the Remnants of Despair deliberately infected the program with her like we thought then there would be no reason they wouldn't have copied her and uploaded her to a bunch of other places too. Why risk the only remaining copy of their leader when they could just make more of her?

But since now we know that Kamakur/Hinata uploaded her as an experiment, and that if hope won in the experimental setup he created he would turn his back on despair, it makes sense that he didn't make copies. The whole point of the New World Program experiment was to pit Chiaki's hope (and by extension everyone else's hope) directly against Junko's despair, and if hope won then it meant it was more unpredictable and at that point he would have no reason to care if Junko died for good.

Maybe everyone else realized this episodes ago and I'm just late to the party, but I'm pretty happy with that realization. That plot hole has bothered me for a while now and even if there are still a bunch left I'm happy one of the major ones got explained away.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2016, 06:35:41 AM »
Late to the party, but I decided to pick this up again now that I'm able to shotgun it. It's much more fun this way.

Just finished Despair Arc 7.

Holy damned mother of fuck.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »
Oooh, cool. Well do keep us updated with your thoughts, I'm curious to know what you think of it.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2016, 05:45:19 PM »
Late to the party, but I decided to pick this up again now that I'm able to shotgun it. It's much more fun this way.

Just finished Despair Arc 7.

Holy damned mother of fuck.
Hope you like what Despair Arc 9 and 10 has.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2016, 06:48:24 PM »
I'm planning on bursting through the rest of Despair and most of Future tonight, so we shall see.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2016, 07:24:32 AM »
thoughts on 9:

holy shit while junko is absolutely utterly undeniably unforgivably despicable, i can't help but love how well she's written. all time favorite villain for sure.

thoughts on 10:

Spoiler:
fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK ow my heart

chiaki forever favorite character my heart breaks

jesus fucking christ though this series does absolutely everything to torture her

it is agony to see

thoughts on despair FINAL:

Spoiler:
did they just straight up declare that the world was driven to despair by memes they really just did didn't they

it's hard to really process what just happened because i'm still so fucked up from chiaki's painfully drawn out torture and execution

but i do like the sentiment that it's really her hope that saves the day at the end of SDR2

also wtf junko "after all, if the world were somehow saved from despair, wouldn't that be the most despairful thing of all?"

are you implying that you want to cause despair to pit it against hope because you know it'll win, thus saving the world from it, causing the epitome of all despair in yourself? even though you already destroyed the world?

you are so delightfully fucked up
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:53:44 AM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2016, 06:22:40 PM »
Periodically I'm still doing the "Still traumatized by that episode?" check.

The answer is always yes.

Are you watching one arc at a time? Technically you're "supposed" to alternate episodes based on the way information is delivered, so Future Arc might be a bit less tense now. But you also have some backstory that might make some stuff more interesting, so it may be a wash.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2016, 12:44:48 AM »
I watched Despair arc in one shot, yeah. Didn't really feel like bouncing between scenarios. I'm sure if Future arc is as good as Despair arc was, it'll hold its own just as well.