Author Topic: Immense slowdown with LoLK on max resolution [SOLVED]  (Read 5349 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Immense slowdown with LoLK on max resolution [SOLVED]
« on: December 30, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »
I'm having ridiculous slowdown when I'm playing LoLK, around 5 40 fps on a computer with an AMD CPU and GPU.

Windows 10, 8 gigs RAM. LoLK version 1.00b.

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5570

Oddly, my HP Pavilion dm4 laptop uses integrated graphics and works with LoLK just fine on max resolution.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:49:40 AM by Failure McFailFace »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Drake

Re: Immense slowdown with LoLK on max resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »
How's performance on all other resolutions? Fullscreen and/or windowed?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
Just to eliminate some things, what's your laptop's OS?

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »
40fps doesn't sound right with that hardware. I do remember there's a multisampling feature built into AMD GPUs that is really intense on the hardware. That could be the issue, post a screenshot of your GPU settings.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
How's performance on all other resolutions? Fullscreen and/or windowed?
Both fullscreen and windowed. Everything below the max size runs fine (60 fps).

Just to eliminate some things, what's your laptop's OS?
Windows 10, same as the AMD computer.

40fps doesn't sound right with that hardware. I do remember there's a multisampling feature built into AMD GPUs that is really intense on the hardware. That could be the issue, post a screenshot of your GPU settings.
The problem with AMD is that there's billions of options in a bunch of different tabs. Where would I find this option, what setting is important here?

This is a strange problem because the AMD computer can handle Minecraft just fine, while the HP laptop can't even run it on lowest settings.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:54:34 PM by Failure McFailFace »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:58:54 PM »
Alright, here's my GPU settings:

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 05:45:39 AM »
What TV are you using? Also can you take some screenshots of your Gaming, Power, and Information settings?

It looks like you have overscan on your TV, meaning you're not getting full 1080p. Fixing overscan may or may not fix the 40FPS issue but it's worth a shot and it'll help improve game compatibility in general.

Change this setting to 0% overscan.
This will cause the edges of the screen to not be visible. Open your TV settings and look for an option to change your display/picture mode until the edges of the screen are fully visible.

Delete the "1080p60 optimized" resolution, if it's still there. Also delete the "1080i30 standard" resolution since that might also cause problems.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:49:06 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 01:03:06 AM »
What TV are you using? Also can you take some screenshots of your Gaming, Power, and Information settings?
Emerson TV. Not sure what the model is.

Also, screenshots:

It looks like you have overscan on your TV, meaning you're not getting full 1080p. Fixing overscan may or may not fix the 40FPS issue but it's worth a shot and it'll help improve game compatibility in general.Change this setting to 0% overscan.
This will cause the edges of the screen to not be visible. Open your TV settings and look for an option to change your display/picture mode until the edges of the screen are fully visible.
Did it. Seems to have reduced the lag to when there's lots of things on the screen. The lag is still there, though:

Delete the "1080p60 optimized" resolution, if it's still there. Also delete the "1080i30 standard" resolution since that might also cause problems.
I can't do that. The option to do so is grayed out.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 07:27:02 AM »
Did it. Seems to have reduced the lag to when there's lots of things on the screen. The lag is still there, though:
Awesome. Right-click the desktop, click "Display Settings", click "Advanced Display Settings". Verify that your resolution is indeed 1920x1080, and that your desktop is fully visible with no black borders. If so your overscan settings are good to go.
Also out of curiosity, what was the name of the TV setting that you had to change?

Is there a particular reason "Wait for Vertical Refresh" is forced to on? Generally you want that to be "Use application settings". This might also be a possible culprit.

It looks like your graphics drivers are out of date. Try installing the latest version (15.7.1).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:29:00 AM by shockdude »
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:03:56 PM »
Awesome. Right-click the desktop, click "Display Settings", click "Advanced Display Settings". Verify that your resolution is indeed 1920x1080, and that your desktop is fully visible with no black borders. If so your overscan settings are good to go. Also out of curiosity, what was the name of the TV setting that you had to change?
Yup, 1920x1080. I had to change the "Format" setting on my TV to "Unscaled".

Is there a particular reason "Wait for Vertical Refresh" is forced to on? Generally you want that to be "Use application settings". This might also be a possible culprit.
Changed to "Off, unless Application specifies". Still getting frame drops when there's a lot of stuff onscreen.
It looks like your graphics drivers are out of date. Try installing the latest version (15.7.1).
Updated. Will edit later to see whether or not if it helped.

EDIT: The lag is even worse. 40fps right from the get-go.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:10:44 PM by Failure McFailFace »

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 12:20:01 AM »
Updated. Will edit later to see whether or not if it helped.

EDIT: The lag is even worse. 40fps right from the get-go.
oh dear.
What does your TH15 custom.exe look like? Have you tried both windows & fullscreen?
Do you have a TV remote? One of the buttons (probably Info or Display) will tell you what the TV input signal is. For both the desktop and ingame, it should say "1920x1080 60Hz" or "1080p60". Anything not 1080p or 60Hz isn't right.
Also maybe try the "Crimson" beta driver from the link I posted previously.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 02:21:07 AM »
oh dear.
What does your TH15 custom.exe look like? Have you tried both windows & fullscreen?
Only windowed at max res has a constant 60fps, and same for both windowed and fullscreen on lower resolutions.

Do you have a TV remote? One of the buttons (probably Info or Display) will tell you what the TV input signal is. For both the desktop and ingame, it should say "1920x1080 60Hz" or "1080p60". Anything not 1080p or 60Hz isn't right.
All it says is that it's 1080p, HD, and 16:9.
Also maybe try the "Crimson" beta driver from the link I posted previously.
Installed. Will edit when my computer restarts.

EDIT: No change at all.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:51:49 AM by Failure McFailFace »

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 06:58:09 AM »
Only windowed at max res has a constant 60fps, and same for both windowed and fullscreen on lower resolutions.
All it says is that it's 1080p, HD, and 16:9.Installed. Will edit when my computer restarts.

EDIT: No change at all.
The right side of custom.exe has four different radio buttons which control VSync and input latency. The default is the 3rd button from the top (automatic). What happens if you try the 4th button (fast)?

otherwise yeah I'm stumped. At least you get fullspeed when windowed.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 02:49:27 AM »
The right side of custom.exe has four different radio buttons which control VSync and input latency. The default is the 3rd button from the top (automatic). What happens if you try the 4th button (fast)?

otherwise yeah I'm stumped. At least you get fullspeed when windowed.
That seems to have done it. Thanks!

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »
That seems to have done it. Thanks!
oh cool that actually worked. I guess LoLK's Automatic input latency setting isn't correctly managing the framerate for you. I personally always use Fast over Automatic anyways.
Well enjoy!