Author Topic: Will Touhou games work on Windows 10?  (Read 23161 times)

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
Will Touhou games work on Windows 10?
« on: July 29, 2015, 12:57:51 PM »
I've been wondering if I should update my computer to Windows 10, and my main doubt is this question.

Will Touhou work on this system? I'm especially afraid about older games, like EoSD and PCB... Has anyone tried it yet?
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
Re: Will Touhou games work on Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »
One of my friends already can't run EOSD to save his life on his Windows 7 (strange but it's true) so yeah, that's a very legitimate question.

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 05:50:20 PM »
According to this, 6, 7, 8 and 9 worked weird in fullscreen mode or just white screen, still fine in windowed. 10, 12, 12.3, 13 and 14, works smooth for both fullscreen and windowed.

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 06:15:11 PM »
Something worth noting, Desktop Window Manager (DWM) can't be turned off on Windows 10, so there might be input latency issues in the games.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 06:20:40 PM »
Something worth noting, Desktop Window Manager (DWM) can't be turned off on Windows 10, so there might be input latency issues in the games.
Eeeeew... I think it couldn't be turned off in W8 either, IIRC.

I asked around for any reason to update to W10, and the only one I got was DX12, which I don't think I will use anyway, since most of my games aren't recent enough to be needing DX12.

Touhou games use DX8, I think.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 12:38:40 AM »
According to this, 6, 7, 8 and 9 worked weird in fullscreen mode or just white screen, still fine in windowed. 10, 12, 12.3, 13 and 14, works smooth for both fullscreen and windowed.
Can confirm the above. 6, 7, 8, and 9 are unplayable in fullscreen; everything else works fine.
This is a big deal imo.

Edit: 7.5 and 9.5 are also unplayable in fullscreen.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:42:14 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 02:22:07 AM »
Couple questions: 1. Does Win10 still have compatibility modes? 2. If so, does it help?

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 03:20:17 AM »
I'll be getting a new computer next year, and it's for stuff like this and a few other reasons why I won't totally switch to Windows 8 or 10. I'll still have 10 installed, but I'll use 7.

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 03:43:39 AM »
Couple questions: 1. Does Win10 still have compatibility modes? 2. If so, does it help?
1. Yes
2. No

You can still use vpatch to resize the window and fill the whole screen. This is fine for most people, but I can feel the input lag from playing Touhou games windowed, so the lack of functional fullscreen hurts a bit.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 04:04:20 AM »
Touhou games use DX8, I think.
In that case, try this DX8 to DX9 converter. I was able to get PCB up to StB working in fullscreen, didn't try EoSD yet, although that might work too.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 04:24:38 AM »
In that case, try this DX8 to DX9 converter. I was able to get PCB up to StB working in fullscreen, didn't try EoSD yet, although that might work too.
What wizardry is this. It works perfectly on all Touhou games 6 through 9.5.
Good find! This mod should go on the wiki or something.

Only issue is that switching from fullscreen to windowed in-game causes the game to crash, but that's not a big deal.

Edit: Added to touhouwiki.net
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:38:37 PM by shockdude »

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 06:13:57 PM »
Thanks for all the answers. I'll stay with 8.1 for now. It turned out that promotion lasted till 29 and I can't upgrade it anymore...
But now I know that I can safely move on to Windows 10 when I need to (which will happen sooner or later), so I'm relevied. Thanks again!

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »
What promotion? The Windows 10 upgrade? That promotion lasts a whole year, but they're rolling it out in waves.
If your computer isn't prompting an upgrade and you're in no rush, just wait and the prompt will appear in a few days.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 12:35:16 AM »
Hey. So I just upgraded to Windows 10, and I've managed to get every game working fine except Hisoutensoku. When I boot it up, I get this error:

If I try to boot up the English version, I also get this:

I have no idea what either of these mean. Can someone please help me out? My computer is set to Japanese locale (do I need to change the location, too?) and, like I mentioned, every other game works fine. Thanks.
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 01:30:12 AM »
Using Windows 10, Soku works fine on my end.
I can't read Japanese so I can't suggest much else. Have you rebooted your computer? Reinstalled the game?

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 03:35:29 AM »
Turns out the problem was with SWRSToys, which for some reason doesn't work in Windows 10. Thanks.
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 08:46:34 AM »
What promotion? The Windows 10 upgrade? That promotion lasts a whole year, but they're rolling it out in waves.
If your computer isn't prompting an upgrade and you're in no rush, just wait and the prompt will appear in a few days.
Oh hey, the icon appeard again... When it disappeard yesterday I searched the internet and it said somewhere that after 29 July you can't upgrade anymore. Thanks.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »
I think that's for 29th of July next year.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Python

• Plains of Chi-u have no end.
  • They are boundless and last forever.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 05:13:45 PM »
(sincerely sorry for bumping this, but I have a reason to)

Hey. So I just upgraded to Windows 10, and I've managed to get every game working fine except Hisoutensoku. When I boot it up, I get this error:

If I try to boot up the English version, I also get this:

I get the same error when trying to launch Soku or SWR on my new laptop. However, you said that you solved the problem by deleting SWRSToys, which I don't, and never had installed. Additionally, a message appeared stating that I'm missing a DLL file (d3dx9_33.dll), which I downloaded and added to the folder. Said message stopped appearing, but now I keep getting that error you mentioned. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Have a look at my truly scrumptious scripts!.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 04:59:49 AM »
(sincerely sorry for bumping this, but I have a reason to)

I get the same error when trying to launch Soku or SWR on my new laptop. However, you said that you solved the problem by deleting SWRSToys, which I don't, and never had installed. Additionally, a message appeared stating that I'm missing a DLL file (d3dx9_33.dll), which I downloaded and added to the folder. Said message stopped appearing, but now I keep getting that error you mentioned. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Remove d3dx9_33.dll and any other DLLs which you may have downloaded.
Download and install DirectX 9 instead.

Python

• Plains of Chi-u have no end.
  • They are boundless and last forever.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 01:12:19 PM »
The installation won't start for me. It prompts me with a message saying that I require an older version of Windows in order to install DirectX 9.
Have a look at my truly scrumptious scripts!.

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 05:29:42 AM »
The installation won't start for me. It prompts me with a message saying that I require an older version of Windows in order to install DirectX 9.
huh. It looks like Microsoft took down the correct DX9 web installer for some reason, and the only one left is an out-of-date installer.
Try the full installer instead.

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
I think I found a way to make Touhou 7  work on Windows 10...kind of in fullscreen.

What I did is, I made a shortcut to the .exe and edited the properties so it would start maximized. It's not exactly fullscreen, but I do have a full screen to play on :)