Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 4, Part 2  (Read 58489 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 4, Part 2
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 02:42:47 AM »
>Quickly run this idea past our allies, see which feels more comfortable taking the lead with this, and then try to quickly erect one before Patchouli breaks free of the containment gel. If we can specify, translucent would be nice, so that one of us could theoretically have a conversation with her while contained. Assuming any part of this works at all, of course.

>I can do that. Lily says confidently.
>White Rose gives her a nod. We'd better hurry. she adds, noting that the boiling metal surrounding Patchouli has begun to run like cold water. Anya is chanting again, trying to reinforce the spell, but the power emanating from the Avatar of Water is far beyond that of the metal miko. Even Kiku's magic couldn't hold her for long.
>So, delaying no longer, Lily brings her hands up and evokes her own spell, "Spring Lily Petal Cyclone!", sending a twisting column of flowers petals at the Water Avatar. Rin adds her own spell to the effort, casting "White Retainer's Flame Haze.", sending a gauzy screen of smoky flame from her fingers out to meet Lily's flowers. You add your own Sapphire Lotus, while Reisen adds: "Caster: Flame Wall". The three powers unite with Lily's, creating a burning column of intensely glowing flower petals, all linked together by thin filaments of blue light. The triply reinforced Petal Cyclone encircles the Avatar of Water, trapping her with a cylindrical column of twisting petals.

>And just in time as well. The rest of the molten metal sloughs off of Patchouli like slurry, until a flaming aura of power can be seen beneath. The aura erupts outward, hurling the molten metal away from the Avatar of Water. However, both are stopped by the Petal Cyclone Patchouli is now trapped within. The purple haired avatar stares incredulously as the metal disappears back into the nothingness from whence Anya summoned, and her aura dims. Experimentally, she presses her hand against the Cyclone, and then screams her frustration.

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 03:36:15 AM »
>To Reisen: Go on, tell her what you told me. That you're tired of seeing people hurt. If she really can recognize you in this form, perhaps she'll even listen.

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 03:44:48 AM »
>To Reisen: Go on, tell her what you told me. That you're tired of seeing people hurt. If she really can recognize you in this form, perhaps she'll even listen.

>The rabbit looks at the savage frustration on Patchouli's face as the Avatar howls again. Her eyes discharge blasts of lighting at the Cyclone, which dissipate against the screen. I don't even know if she'd hear me right now. We need something else, something that might help us get through to her... The rabbit ponders for a minute, then asks a very surprising question. Are you opposed to Rin attempting a little stealing?

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 03:47:07 AM »
>Um, what did you have in mind?

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 03:58:08 AM »
>Um, what did you have in mind?

>My ownership papers. Reisen replies. Patchouli wants to take ownership of me from her parents. If she sees those papers, if she sees us offer them to her, it might calm her down. At least, a little. I hope. she finishes quietly.

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 04:01:46 AM »
>Do you know where they could be found?

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 04:07:36 AM »
>Do you know where they could be found?

>Yes.

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 04:13:55 AM »
>And are you okay with this yourself, under present circumstances? Being owned by Patchouli, I mean?
>Rin could not be emancipated because that would give Konngara a ground to immediately reclaim her, right? Does anything even comparable exist for Reisen, short of Patchouli's parents not being WILLING to free her from slavery? Could she not just be made a free woman outright?

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 04:40:30 AM »
>And are you okay with this yourself, under present circumstances? Being owned by Patchouli, I mean?
>Rin could not be emancipated because that would give Konngara a ground to immediately reclaim her, right? Does anything even comparable exist for Reisen, short of Patchouli's parents not being WILLING to free her from slavery? Could she not just be made a free woman outright?

>Reisen smiles, almost sadly. I've toiled under crueler masters.
>Konngara, or any other Oni that came along and wanted to claim her. But Reisen on the other hand could very well be a different story. It depends on the circumstances of her enslavement. She may not be holden to the same code that binds Rin and those like her.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 04:46:00 AM »
>Well, I'm not okay with that if you have any sort of resignation about this. Can you not be freed outright?

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 04:59:26 AM »
>Well, I'm not okay with that if you have any sort of resignation about this. Can you not be freed outright?

>It's not that simple.

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 05:28:21 AM »
>Then what about it's so complicated? If there's something that needs to be done, I'll do it.

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 06:08:07 PM »
>Then what about it's so complicated? If there's something that needs to be done, I'll do it.

>No, it's not like that. She winces. It's complicated.
>"I will not be caged!" Patchouli screams, punching the Cyclone wall with a magically charged fist, and then again. "I will not be controlled!"
>Never mind. Reisen adds. I don't think Rin'll have time.

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
>I fully support extricating you from your current owners, but so long as Patchouli remains as she is, I don't want to see you simply handed over to another harsh mistress. I don't want to see you have to bear yet another burden because it seems necessary, unless that is truly what you wish.
>"Patchouli! You attacked two women who committed no crimes against you, and are claiming vengeance in the name of a woman who does not even wish this! Is this really what you want? You're already hurting someone you care about and you've barely even begun!"

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 10:42:59 PM »
>I fully support extricating you from your current owners, but so long as Patchouli remains as she is, I don't want to see you simply handed over to another harsh mistress. I don't want to see you have to bear yet another burden because it seems necessary, unless that is truly what you wish.
>"Patchouli! You attacked two women who committed no crimes against you, and are claiming vengeance in the name of a woman who does not even wish this! Is this really what you want? You're already hurting someone you care about and you've barely even begun!"

>The rabbit looks away for a moment, before she looks into your eyes and says, What I truly wish, Byakuren, is to do something good. Finally do something good.

>"I will not be contained!" Patchouli howls in reply, sending another bolt of power at the Cyclone. "I will not be suppressed!" Another bolt. "I will not be held down!" Another.
>I don't know how much longer that's gonna hold. Lily says worriedly.
>Reisen steels herself. I'm going to try and get her attention, maybe get through to her. But, uh, be ready to cover me, okay?

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 10:45:16 PM »
>Absolutely.
>Be ready!

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »
>Absolutely.
>Be ready!

>Reisen takes a breath. "Lunar Spectrum Shift - Glider."
>The rabbit's clothes emit a pale white glow that, when it passes, reveals an entirely new look for her.  She now sports a green and brown sundress with a white floral pattern along the hemlines. Her collar now holds a pale white gem instead of a red one. She has neither gloves nor boots, only a long white ribbon tied around her left ankle and a black ribbon of matching length around her right wrist. And as she steps off the flying disc you ride, a set of diaphanous light purple wings with a green, black and brown pattern unfold from her back, like a great butterfly.
>How'd you do that? Lily broadcasts as Poppy flutters down towards Patchouli, trailing golden dust behind her wings. How'd she do that, can we do that?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:55:48 AM by Wildsour »

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 11:55:41 PM »
>Can we?

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 11:57:39 PM »
>Can we?

>Not as far as you know. But then again, you've never tried to before.

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2015, 12:10:10 AM »
>Um, I've never really put my mind to such a thing before.

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2015, 01:43:18 AM »
>Um, I've never really put my mind to such a thing before.

>Oh we have got to try that! Lily chirps.
>Is this really the best time to think about magical cosplay? Rin asks her wryly.
>And why shouldn't we? the blonde demands with fierce seriousness. It's totally not fair that Reisen gets to be the only one to do that.

>While this enlightening exchange is taking place, Reisen settles down in front of the Avatar of Water. The mage punches the Cyclone wall one more time, but as she draws her fist back again, her eyes, still crackling with electrical power, fall upon the now-winged rabbit, and narrow once more. After a very long moment, the Avatar says rather quietly, "It is you, isn't it?"
>Reisen nods gently. "Yes, Patchouli. It's me."
>"Don't call me that now. I am the Avatar of Water. Have you come to help me?" she asks eagerly. "Have you come to free me?"
>Magical Poppy hesitates, and glances up at you, wondering how to answer.

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 01:51:18 AM »
>Tell her what it is you want. How you feel about her killing others in your name, for the harm they've done to you.

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 02:25:25 AM »
>Tell her what it is you want. How you feel about her killing others in your name, for the harm they've done to you.

>The rabbit seems encouraged by your words, and turns back to Patchouli, shaking her head slightly. "I came because I thought you needed my help. You know I always tried to keep you safe."
>"Yeah. But you aren't going to let me out, are you."
>Reisen hesitates, then shakes her head again, once. "I don't.... think I should. What you're doing-"
>"In that case," Patchouli interrupts, her power building up again, her face twisting into a mad grin. "I'd back up a little if I were you."
>Something in that look makes Reisen's face pale, and she turns quickly and starts to fly away, towards the Knowledge manor, screaming out, "RUN!"

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2015, 03:23:50 AM »
>How close are we to Patchouli, relative to Reisen?
>Is there anything else apparently important in Patchouli's immediate vicinity?
>And where is Anya?
>Do we actually get a sense that whatever she's going to hit it with this time is of a different magnitude than before? Jumpy rabbit aside?

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2015, 03:36:55 AM »
>How close are we to Patchouli, relative to Reisen?
>Is there anything else apparently important in Patchouli's immediate vicinity?
>And where is Anya?
>Do we actually get a sense that whatever she's going to hit it with this time is of a different magnitude than before? Jumpy rabbit aside?

>Reisen's about ten feet away from Patchy right now, and that distance is growing. You're about thirty or so feet away, above Patchy and just to her left.
>No. She is in open air.
>Still standing in front of the Knowledge's gate, about 120 or so feet away from Patchy.
>She is definately building up power. Whatever she's going to unleash isn't going to be random energy blasts or charged punches.

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2015, 06:56:12 AM »
>Let's back up towards the mansion a bit, and be prepared to make a break for it if we have to, but for the moment continue to closely observe what Patchouli is doing rather than running full speed away

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2015, 06:15:34 AM »
>Let's back up towards the mansion a bit, and be prepared to make a break for it if we have to, but for the moment continue to closely observe what Patchouli is doing rather than running full speed away

>Heeding Reisen's warning, you backpeddle a bit through the air while keeping a close eye on the Avatar of Water. As you do so, White Rose and Lily fall in on either side of you. In case we need to pool powers. the blonde explains as Patchouli's energy grows, her body transforming once again into a dark blue sphere of light, but growing this time, pressing against the walls of the Cyclone, making them bow out like a bottle filled too full.
>As for Anya, she does not take Reisen's advice, and stays right where she is. She does, however, cast another spell. A paper charm floats up over her head and expands out into a dome of iron. The Moscovian miko may not be as powerful a spellcaster as Kiku, but she does have a trick or two up her sleeve. As far as you can tell, that iron shell of hers should be able to hold up against some decent firepower.
>And boy, does Patchouli have some firepower to bear. The sensation you get from her is the perfect example of what it must be like to try and keep lightning bottled. The power she has built up is now greater than that which Elis used when she was hurling lightning at you. Rin looks upon that viciously glowing sphere and says, quickly, We're gonna need to shield or run.

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2015, 06:23:25 AM »
>Can we actually fire through our own barrier here?
>And if so, do we think Indigo Lotus could accomplish anything against the power she's building?

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2015, 06:34:18 AM »
>Can we actually fire through our own barrier here?
>And if so, do we think Indigo Lotus could accomplish anything against the power she's building?

>No. There would need to be some kind of hole in it to shoot through, which there doesn't seem to be.
>If she does something similar later, though, Indigo Lotus probably would be effective. It worked wonders against the Champion of Water, there's no reason to think it wouldn't work against her Avatar as well.

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2015, 06:37:25 AM »
>Do we have enough control over the barrier to selectively open a small hole somewhere?