Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 98616 times)

Bio

• resident walker
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #300 on: July 27, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »
Rank increase to S+?
You mean I have to go back in there? This is terrible.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #301 on: July 27, 2015, 12:46:50 PM »
Motherfucking level 50 cap hell fucking yeah

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #302 on: July 27, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
I'm totally up to team up if anybody's willing to put up with my general mediocre-ness.

I'm excited for more clothes, hopefully a tiny fraction in each category will be non-ugly.

Still no playable Octolings, that's the main thing I'm holding out for. But this looks pretty exciting regardless.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:27:08 PM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #303 on: July 27, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »
I hope and pray that this update includes ika musume outfit

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #304 on: July 27, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
Motherfucking level 50 cap hell fucking yeah

Like, I was expecting a jump to 25 or 30. But when I saw the number 50, I just flat out yelled. I mean, that's one way to keep your community playing. Mind you, I won't be surprised if they announce a Splatfest soon as well; Japan just had another one with the lemon tea vs milk tea; so it'll either be announced right before the update, or just after it~ XD

Still no playable Octolings, that's the main thing I'm holding out for.

I get the feeling they'll drop them either with added single-player content (like an extra zone so they can sneak in more back-story), or in the next big update... whenever that will be. {Halloween, maybe?}

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »
This is gonna be BIG. I'm super excited to see all these updates in action, and so soon. That level cap increase though. I had speculated it would change to 30 or something, but not 50. Guess Nintendo really paid attention to that Famitsu poll lol.

Something Tamashii's article doesn't mention, Urchin Underpass will undergo "remodeling" in preparation for this update, so from August 3 to 5 the map will not be playable. The schematic in the picture suggests that some of the changes will include altering the various choke points and moving the trees near the spawn points into the center area.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #306 on: July 27, 2015, 04:15:09 PM »
I saw the message pop up on Facebook, but when I clicked on it, it took me to the update information; which didn't mention anything about the Underpass. I thought it was a bit confusing when I saw the picture, with no other info to back it up. Thanks for spotting that one~ XD

It'll certainly be interesting to see what they end up doing with it; giving the stage a bit of freshness will likely help balance set things. Either that, or they thought recent weapons may be making the map unplayable in some ways; who knows~

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #307 on: July 27, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »
Level Cap to 50? w000t?
Thats crazy! But somehow since i played so well in the Ranking (the b- to b+ thing), imma mostly in a shit team or i am doing myself a shitplay.
Chargers are kinda fun using in Ranked Battles, wenn u know hoe to use. Somehow my problem is, wenn ich release the ZR i kinda accidentally move the Gamepad with it out of hesitation. Ruined many splats because of that.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #308 on: July 27, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
Oh my god so I have to grind now even harder to A+ ? Gaaaaah

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2015, 02:42:13 AM »
Finally got around to playing a dozen matches or so with the Octobrush. Previously I had either been too busy to play, or scared of some map that was up (well, but "some map" I mean Moray Towers, which I think was a mistake because I suspect it would do very well on that map now) or didn't feel warmed up enough to try a new weapon, but today the stars aligned. It's pretty great. Didn't have a match where I really did poorly with it. It racks up kills like nothing else and even though it's not tremendous at covering ground it gives so many opportunities to be alone with corners of the map through sheer murder power that it's not hard to get a middling-or-better score when you're not earning your keep punching holes in the opposing line. And it handles snipers really well despite being a melee weapon.

Kraken still feels degenerate even after using it. I did have a couple players successfully hold me off, which I had never been able to do before, but I was almost always able to overpower them either by flailing at them until they ran out of ink or leaping aside right before I changed back and smashing them with the brush the second I hit the ground. At that point it's just trading a super for a single kill, which the Inkzooka is also well capable of, but that's been the worst-case scenario in my extremely limited experience. Usually it's much better than that, and given how fast the Octobrush charges my meter I can afford to make those trades often at great profit. I don't know that I've especially learned anything I can use by playing it myself yet, but I'm keeping my eye out, and at least I know what stopping one with a gun looks like now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:45:06 AM by commandercool »

« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
Trading a Super in for a Single Kill is actually a pretty good deal, especially since most use from half of the supers is to trade them in for extends.
Part of what makes Kraken so good (Read: infuriating) is that 80% of the time I see it activated on my screen is when I'm shooting down the person who has the Kraken.
Whoops, I didn't kill you fast enough, sorry half my team  :fail:

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
Yup. Or it activates the moment after you activate your super (I'm thinking of me and my Inkzooka, but I think it applies to most others too) and either kills you or forces you to run away and waste yours.

Kraken vs. Kraken is pretty funny though. Especially when neither one is quite sure which one activated first.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #312 on: July 29, 2015, 01:43:07 AM »
Ugh, I just had an awful run of games. I actually won a lot of them, but I just got carried by good teams for the most part. I've been feeling off all day and failing at everything I try to do to varying degrees, but those games sucked.

Is it just me, or is Arowana Mall the worst map? The chokepoints are ridiculous. I you have a rough first minute there is no salvaging it no matter what you do if the opponent' team is set up to exploit chokepoints well enough. Fucking Scoped E-Liter and Dynamo Roller just kept locking me down over and over and over...

Also, I think I'm gonna have to start playing Stealth Jump with my Octobrush. I had so many deaths today to teammates who just wouldn't cover my jumps, I mean, I understand if they can't hold the spot down, at that point that's my fault for picking a bad time and place to jump into. But I had quite a few instances of teammates just wandering off to do something else and lettering opponents incidentally wander into where I was jumping today, it got really aggravating. Maybe most of those were my fault I guess, but on paper they seemed perfectly safe every time.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #313 on: July 29, 2015, 02:20:52 AM »
I don't jump anymore except onto the tower, I just swim now. My ranked loadout is all swim speed, defender and ink saver. I've also never played in a match where teammates cover jumps, everyone on their own. Also, isn't stealth jump now slower than a regular jump?

Arowana Mall is my favorite level actually, I'm never bored playing it.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #314 on: July 29, 2015, 03:10:12 AM »
Arowna is the worst map because you feel helpless if you don't have a special that can ward off the chargers covering the choke. Even the side routes into the choke don't help that much since the middle doesn't have cover against chargers.

If the chargers aren't quite as oppressive or there are none,  it's quite good.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #315 on: July 29, 2015, 06:35:53 AM »
We should plan a date and time for us to get online and go onto Ranked together  :getdown: squad represeeent

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2015, 06:53:07 AM »
Edit: Fucked up Arowna and Morray in the post. Confusion++, edited now

Arowna Mall is tough. Though you can still grab the chargers if they are near centre. Otherwise you have plenty of cover vs them to be honest. I fear Shooters more on that map tbh. Because of their range and spam possibility.

Personally I think Moray Towers isn't designed proper. It is way too open and too elevated. Rollers and Chargers got the upper hand because of the overview/space they have to move in. CQC weaponry are fail.

What Towers need are few "roof" covers or sort of tunnels / walls when walking down the ramps. This way you can actually approach the Chargers if you play smart. It would also make the map 100x more enjoyable and "fair". The current wall ramps/climb sections don't make up for this, because you're vulnerable to the max when climbing/painting them. Chargers still should be dangerous and chokepoint covering is fine, but right now it is near impossible.

The new map, however DOES have smart setup with plenty of cover vs chargers. Chargers can be at several good points but you can out manoeuvre them by sticking close to the fences. I like the new map.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:56:31 AM by Helepolis »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #317 on: July 29, 2015, 12:40:18 PM »
Yeah, I haven't played Camp Triggerfish enough to get a great impressipn of it yet, but it seems very balanced. There's not a weapon type I'm scared to use or play against on it. It has enough variety that everything has a fair role, which can not be said of worse maps.

Regarding chargers on Moray Towers, it seems to me like sub-weapon loadout has a big effect on how threatening they are. At least, they're easier to unseat from the perches near the center if somebody has a splat bomb to throw up there and force them back from the edge while you paint the wall and swim up to knock them off. I guess I can't really speak for the rest of the map, but I've seen that tactic work pretty well in that specific spot, which seems like it might be the important spot.

« Reply #318 on: July 29, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »
Ugh, Just had a really bad game due to what I can only assume is lag. That "Perception of hits" we talked about earlier. Mostly just the fact that I managed to get killed from being hit 7 times despite being in cover for latter 5-6 hits. In fact I remember getting hit by a dynamo roller as I swam around the corner away from him. The only explanation I have for these strikes is that the position I'm in in their games is different from where I actually was. I mean I can't even get good hits with a roller if I have walls on either side of me when I swing, much less behind a wall.

And yet another. I was hiding behind the ramp leading up to the rope bridge in Camp Triggerfish. I then zoom out to the side of the ramp as a roller was on top of it, the roller shoot down twice to the space behind the ramp, I shoot once from the side up, Splatted her, and then Got splatted. There was no possible way she hit me with either spray, even if she did the Y-quicklook to aim at me for the second spray.

I think I'm starting to understand what the complain about Moray is based around. I just had a ranked battle where the only Charger had a 30:8 K:D ratio on the Towers.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:49:01 AM by WHMZakeri »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2015, 07:10:51 AM »
Keep in mind that projectiles or ink that falls down due to gravity have huge damage reduced. Not sure how this counts for roller flings to be honest.

The hitting in Splatoon is something that confuses me a lot as well. It has been discussed also on various streams: If you hear a hit sounds on your end, you can be sure you hit the target regardless of the victim's latency. This is indeed why sometimes the splat is shown in delay but I am sure you already knew this.

The scenario you describe however sounds like typical lag. Rollers / players tend to warp and even if she was in your eyes above, she could've moved / taken a better shooting position without proper updating due to lag/latency.

Also think Chargers have bigger impact in Ranked than Turf wars. Dying / killing in Ranked means either the tower is moving closer to your base or the splat zones are counting down. A good charger in ranked on Mall, Dome, Depot or Morray can make huge difference. Not sure yet about Triggerfish yet. Except I suck heavily at Chargers. Tried yesterday on Turf wars to practise with them but failed hard. It just feels too static for me. I need to be running / dodging / invading / splatting things. That is why I favour the Pro / Blaster in Ranked for TC.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »
https://editmode.jp/special/shibuya-901_event/ Oh man I hope there will be Splatoon tees like these this winter when I head down to Japan

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #321 on: July 30, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »
That's good. I'd been wondering if those were available yet. Would pay money to wear.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #322 on: July 30, 2015, 03:32:14 PM »
There will be an advance sale for the shirts in Shibuya on the 5th, and they'll be taking online preorders for the next print run on the 6th.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #323 on: July 30, 2015, 07:08:21 PM »
> Let us begin with A- 80
> Moray Towers (GFDI)
> Doesn't matter. I am an Inkling boy, we got this.
> Knocked out in 1 min.
> A- 70
>:(

And then I did more suffering TL DR: Finally reached A 30.

Picochilla

« Reply #324 on: July 30, 2015, 07:56:56 PM »
> Let us begin with A- 80
> Moray Towers (GFDI)
> Doesn't matter. I am an Inkling boy, we got this.
> Knocked out in 1 min.
> A- 70
>:(

And then I did more suffering TL DR: Finally reached A 30.

Welcome to hell... I fell down from B+ 50 down to B 0 the other day because of the shitty teaming i always get.

Picochilla

« Reply #325 on: August 01, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »
The third NA and EU Splatfests are announced for next Weekend!

NA: Marshmellows vs Hotdogs

EU: North Pole vs South Pole

NA is kinda an easy Chiose, but the EU choise (also for me i.e.) is a pretty tough desicion man...

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #326 on: August 01, 2015, 11:47:59 AM »
The North Pole sucks, it's not even a piece of land.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2015, 12:47:15 PM »
Marshmallows are gonna get wrecked based on popularity alone

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #328 on: August 01, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »
Finally the EU splatfest somewhat makes sense. Basically it is Polar bears (アオリ) vs Penguins (ホタロ). Most likely I'll be fighting for Penguins because Mizuki Hitoshi's Sanaewife also likes them.

Also two new weapons huh. Ranged Blaster and another Ink Brush with Bubbler and mines. Might be interesting.

Ranged Blaster still has same power when direct hitting, insta kills but the "near target" damage is slightly less so you might need to pull off 3rd hit depending on your aim if the enemy has stacked defence. The extra range is great but the Ink Strike is really useless as hell. Also it doesn't matter what the range is of the Blaster, up close is what counts. Usually if someone with Tentatek / Gal is in your face you're in trouble. This is why the Luna Blaster is still favoured alot, because of the ROF + range. But my personal is still Custom Blaster. Bubbler is just too good.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:31:48 PM by Helepolis »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #329 on: August 01, 2015, 04:33:19 PM »
Ew but I hate both marshmallows and hot dogs... I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick hot dogs because at least I did eat them at some point in my life (they actually make me nauseous now), whereas I've never liked marshmallows. Would the EU mind renting a 'Murican for one weekend to fight alongside Team Penguins? :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.