Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 96714 times)

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2015, 02:31:33 AM »
Haven't played in a while and I feel like I've gotten rusty. I'll be on all this week 10pm to midnight EDT if anyone wants to play

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »
Would love to... but over here (UK) I'm not going be awake at that time; it'll be like really early morning for me. Which sucks, because I do want to play with more of you all~ XD

Oh, also, a new weapon will be released tomorrow! It's called the Luna Blaster and looks... pretty funky. Not sure what the sub and special slots will be for it, but will likely still try it~ ^^

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
According to the recent datamine, the Luna Blaster's sub and special weapons should be the Ink Mine and Inkzooka. The description suggests that it'll be this game's closest thing to a shotgun so far, with good power up close and a decent fire rate and spread, but the Inkzooka is there specifically for longer range attacks.

I forgot to post about the datamine when it first came out, but I'm really impressed with just how many more weapons are coming. We also get a better look at the full skyscraper stage, which was teased in the Splatfest promotional video, and a full description of the Rainmaker mode (basically it's like Assault from Halo). Also the Octobrush's existence makes me hopeful that Octolings will become playable at some point. :V

Rin, feel free to add your ID info to the list in the OP. I should be on at that time as well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:27:36 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2015, 11:08:18 PM »
Decided to buy a Wii U on my way home from work, and got the Splatoon bundle. Looks like a lot of fun, and I keep hearing good things.

Edit: Got my console set up and spent half an hour fucking around in single player Splatoon. My console skills are so rusty, and on top of that the controller is completely foreign to me. The motion-sensing camera movements are such a mess, I can't even look at things. I assume I'll get used to it, but right now I can't imagine I'd be much use in a match. I think I saw an option to just disable it, I'll try that next time I play.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:11:25 AM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2015, 05:55:51 AM »
Use the motion control for aiming around the middle of the screen. Most people (including me) still use the stick for large turns because it's kind of awkward otherwise.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2015, 09:57:21 AM »
I think I saw an option to just disable it, I'll try that next time I play.

Yeah, there is an option to disable the motion control and play with both sticks. It's how I use it, and it's just more natural to play with~ XD

Also, we should post pictures of our Inklings in here every now and then; I mean, may as well get all those clothing combinations some actual work. Here's mine; she's called Kamiko. Had to take a 3rd picture because the gun blocked her outfit for it. And yes, she wears a different combination for each weapon; Kamiko likes to look, and feel, good with whatever weapon she uses. {Also, some say she'll only pose for pictures when she's purple} She'll likely do the same for each weapon; though it means I have to work hard add to gain the extra slots for them~ <3

So yeah, post your squid girls here if you want to; might get an art project going or something~ :V

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
Something I just learned about, Famitsu recently held a "gear design" contest - people submitted drawings of new outfits for the game, and the best ones would be included in the August update, along with other prizes. This article on Squidboards has the details. Just like with the Ika Musume outfit, it's currently unknown if these will be released outside Japan, but I'm hopeful they will be.

Edit: Got my console set up and spent half an hour fucking around in single player Splatoon. My console skills are so rusty, and on top of that the controller is completely foreign to me. The motion-sensing camera movements are such a mess, I can't even look at things. I assume I'll get used to it, but right now I can't imagine I'd be much use in a match. I think I saw an option to just disable it, I'll try that next time I play.
Splatoon's motion controls definitely take some getting used to, even when you have more experience with the Gamepad. However, after having spent time with both control schemes, I've found motion controls to be better for me in pretty much every way. To put it briefly, they're much faster and more precise than the sticks ever can be. If you ever decide to sit down and learn them, definitely take advantage of Hero Mode. Go through all the levels without ever touching the R-stick - practice using the Y button to center the camera instead.

EDIT: The NA Splatfest is back on!

...but on the 4th of July. Not really sure if this is the smartest time to be drawing as many people as possible for 24 straight hours, since people will undoubtedly be celebrating the holiday here in America, maybe for the entire day (I don't have any plans myself, but I can easily see this being a problem for others). At least we finally have a date, I guess? :/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:40:36 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »
Funny you mentioned the 4th of July... because Europe are ALSO getting their Splatfest on the 4th; word straight from their twitter too.

Both have different themes {Cat vs Dog and Rock vs Pop respectively) so hey, hopefully this works okay in hindsight~ XD

EDIT : Oh, and about the thing for the clothes and stuff. We play with people all over the world as it is, and providing the gear isn't from an amiibo, you can order it via Spyke. So I don't think there'll be an issue getting hold of the clothes based on them originating from Japan; least I certainly hope that'll be the case~ ^^

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:26 AM »
Played a couple of matches earlier and didn't do completely terribly. I don't think I understand most of the finer points, but I can grasp "run around and paint a thing". My team won all of my matches, and I placed second on my team in the second one. I'll plan on playing a bunch more tomorrow night when I can afford to be up later. I don't remember exactly what my ID is, but I'll add it to the document soon.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »
Running around and inking up the place is the name of the game. You can kill fellow players, but turf is the key part of the game. Glad to hear you're getting used to it, in either case~ XD

Also... MORE WEAPONS! A Carbon Roller and a Custom Dual Squelcher will arrive tomorrow, once again, free of charge. Been a while since we had a new roller in all fairness, so it'll be nice to give it a roll around~ <3

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »
Here is my squid. She is not as fresh as I want, but I will wait for the sea snails from the Splatfest before I go all out rerolling for freshness.
I use the .52 or .96 with this loadout, though I'm starting to level up secondary gear (Safari Hat) to use with the Splattershot Pro so I don't get hard countered when close maps come around. I never realised that it had the same range as the .96.

The Custom Dual might be really good (and maybe the Carbon Roller if it is a fast Dynamo). Echolocator has a lot of variance if you aren't able to capitalise on it yourself, but Splat Bombs are pretty good.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 10:34:28 AM »
Motion controls are used for precision aiming? I wonder if it's a similar feel to Kid Icarus: Uprising, where using the stylus to aim ended up feeling significantly better than dual sticks could ever be.

Still wondering if I should impulse buy this. PvP is one of my sore spots.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 11:59:51 PM »
So what's the technique for fighting against people using rollers? It seems like every team I play against has at least two of them on it, sometimes three. As far as I can tell they're basically melee weapons that let you trample people, right? And they seem to have a weak ranged function? When I find myself one-on-one with one I usually just lose, the only way I've been able to consistently beat them is with two people, one to draw fire and one to pick them off. They don't seem unmanageable, but I figure I better get them figured out because they seem to be so common. Maybe it's just a better of learning to keep track of them map better so they don't get the drop on me in tight spaces. At any rate, having fun so far. I'm up to a dozen matches or so and I'm learning a little. Lot of fun, at any rate.

Edit: Wait, is the secret "run backward while shooting"? I just tried that and it seemed to work pretty well. I guess it's just a matter of not getting engaged with them in places where you can't retreat and not getting surprised?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:06:31 AM by commandercool »

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2015, 12:57:17 AM »
So what's the technique for fighting against people using rollers? It seems like every team I play against has at least two of them on it, sometimes three. As far as I can tell they're basically melee weapons that let you trample people, right? And they seem to have a weak ranged function? When I find myself one-on-one with one I usually just lose, the only way I've been able to consistently beat them is with two people, one to draw fire and one to pick them off. They don't seem unmanageable, but I figure I better get them figured out because they seem to be so common. Maybe it's just a better of learning to keep track of them map better so they don't get the drop on me in tight spaces. At any rate, having fun so far. I'm up to a dozen matches or so and I'm learning a little. Lot of fun, at any rate.

Edit: Wait, is the secret "run backward while shooting"? I just tried that and it seemed to work pretty well. I guess it's just a matter of not getting engaged with them in places where you can't retreat and not getting surprised?

I'd say just shoot them, and nine times out of tent you're prolly going to win. I use the roller a lot, and the only times, I can get kills on people is flanking and getting them when they aren't paying attention. If I try to charge at them, I tend to die after about a second or two of being shot.  The best advice I can give is just be aware of your surrounding and avoid corners if you think a melee guy is going to be there(echolocation is cool here.)

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2015, 12:59:05 AM »
So last night it was revealed that Splatoon will be receiving an update patch on July 1st in Japan (June 30th in the Americas), and it will include some tweaks to game balance (mainly to a handful of specials and gear, not to weapons) and some measures designed specifically to make the upcoming Splatfest run more smoothly. Here are the official patch notes in English. Not a whole lot of changes in terms of direct gameplay, but the Kraken nerf is probably gonna be the most talked about. Whether the Kraken will be knocked back more or less than (or equal to) the Bubbler remains to be seen, but I think this is actually a smart move, even though I don't consider the Kraken broken anyway. As it is now, there are very few ways to stand up to a Kraken without being forced to give up your position, making it a very powerful "line-breaker". Shooting at a Kraken so as to trap and corner it once it wears off will probably still take some skill given its mobility, so it's not that much of a nerf, but it should address the line-breaking issue well enough in the right hands. It's possible this is also an attempt to prevent any sort of over-centralization - the Krak-On Roller has been very popular since the beginning, and Nintendo may want players to branch out into other rollers weapons.

That is part of how to deal with rollers, anyway. If the roller knows what he/she's doing then they'll always be trying to kill you with their fling attack, never by straight-up rolling. Their fling has slightly longer range than the Jr. and Aerospray, but even those weapons have ways to pick off rollers (mostly from good movement and certain specials). What you want to do is try to shoot them from as close to the maximum range of your weapon as possible. It's a lot like spacing in fighting games, really. And to take it a step further, get the jump on them instead of the other way around. Sneak attacks are like a golden rule of shooters in general, and Splatoon's inking mechanics allow for some very creative ways to ambush people. Keeping track of enemy rollers so you don't get ambushed yourself does takes some map awareness, but finding the time to safely look away from the TV and at the Gamepad can sometimes be easier said than done. That said, catching enemy movements on the Gamepad can be very rewarding, so it's definitely worth it to practice that.

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2015, 01:19:12 AM »
If you're fighting a roller you will lose every engagement (Unless you yourself are a roller in which it will end in a draw) So the obvious solution is to avoid engaging them. Shoot them from afar.

Right now I'm running the Dynamo roller which feels so good to me. The power of the shotgun is enough to take out most peeps in one hit and the wider painting is nice, too. The only downside is that the windup is twice as long as the regular roller (Meaning if I have to shotgun somebody, I better get that one shot).

Also I'm very thankful for any nerfs to the kraken because it's so much more powerful when you compare it to the bubbler. At least with the bubble I have a chance of realizing what happened and getting away.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2015, 01:44:39 AM »
I like the N-Zap '85 a lot, but I feel like I want a little more weapon efficiency gear so I have to recharge it just a little less. Being able to consistently run and shoot would be great and it's just short of that now. I also like the idea of chargers, but the couple of matches I tried to use one were disasters, so I think I need a lot of practice. Also seems like you might not want two or more chargers on the same team, so maybe that's more of a thing for when you match with friends and can plan your loadouts a little more?

The ink wall super seems amazing. Is there a version of the rapid-fire pistol thing that comes with that?

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2015, 02:23:45 AM »
The new Carbon Roller is hilarious. It's a bit weaker than the other rollers, but is much, much faster, and like the Luna Blaster, is very ink-efficient (or maybe it just has a large capacity?). I'm watching PinkKittyRose fling that thing around everywhere.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2015, 04:40:57 AM »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
Expecting my WiiU tomorrow to join the Splatfest. Don't have NNID yet.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
When do I use Echolocator for maximum effect? Do I just pop it the second it comes online, or is there a particular scenario I should save it for?

I had to look up the actual numbers on the gear powers last night because I wanted an excuse to wear the Octoling set. I figured the numbers on a lot of stuff had to be low because of how many copies you can theoretically stack, but no, apparently weapon efficiency in the first slot is an amazing 20%. Can't really rationalize that away. Just got to hope I find something that looks better with similar stats at some point.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »
Use the Echolocator when you run out of ink!
Echolocator is kind of a (weak-ish) special for Turf, and only helps you win-more in Splat Zones. Use it whenever you personally think you can capitalise on it because team mates won't always.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2015, 02:45:09 PM »
Bio pretty much summed it up; the Echolocator isn't always taken advantage of. In Turf Wars, it's basically a case of when you have it, just ping it off. Depending on the weapon you're playing with, you can get your gauge back up pretty decently if you want to play that role in the team. For the Splat Zones, I'd almost say the same thing; your team is going to want to know where the other squids are for pretty obvious reasons~ XD

Also, Helepolis, I look forward to playing with/against you; more MotK players rock~ <3

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
My plan is to never run out of ink ever, since my whole loadout is efficiency and the N-Zap is efficient anyway. If everything goes as planned I have to move on before I need to reload (unless I go nuts with grenades).

Is there an optimal balance between weapon efficiency and ink recovery for different kinds of weapons? Where should I be using which one? I'm guessing recovery is probably better for weapons that are already efficient, but I haven't really tested it or done the math.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »
When do I use Echolocator for maximum effect? Do I just pop it the second it comes online, or is there a particular scenario I should save it for?
I think the most important thing is that you use it when everyone on the enemy team is alive, since they can't be tagged when waiting to respawn. Using it to refill your ink can be helpful in a firefight, but I'd argue you shouldn't be actively trying to put yourself in that situation, since you'd want to know where enemies are before they get to wherever you're trying to defend.

Is there an optimal balance between weapon efficiency and ink recovery for different kinds of weapons? Where should I be using which one? I'm guessing recovery is probably better for weapons that are already efficient, but I haven't really tested it or done the math.
I'd say Ink Recovery Up is more useful for the SMG-type weapons (N-Zap, Jr., Aerospray, etc.), especially those with grenades, as those are what drain your ink the fastest anyway. However, it's probably also best reserved for sub slots since there are better options for your main slots. The only weapons where I've seen Ink Saver (Main) argued as necessary in a main slot are the Splattershot Pro and certain rollers.

I actually just discovered this thread on Squidboards that shows the math behind various abilities (still a work-in-progress, and the upcoming patch will change three of the abilities). Two very critical things about this dude's research involve which abilities have diminishing returns (some don't, contrary to what Judd says) and what the cap for each ability is.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2015, 05:02:39 PM »
Oh shit, there's caps? I'll have to research this more, that changes everything. That thread sounds super useful, I'll read it when I get home. Thanks.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »
Ok somehow post got delivered on Mondays. Got my WiiU

いかよろしく

Nintendo ID: helepolis_h   (helepolis was taken, damn these times anno 2015 :V)

Edit:

Btw how does the match making works? Do you get queued with same region/continent or is it global?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:08:25 PM by Helepolis »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »
Seems to be global. Two or three people in every match have names with Asian characters, anyway.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2015, 05:22:31 AM »
It's global but you would prefer very much to get matched with those closer to you.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2015, 05:43:26 AM »
Aww, the exposure of fighting continents is then bit lower no? I indeed noticed 2-3 asian char per match rest was latin.

Like me getting set up vs US-MotK would be relatively low I guess. Oh well, we'll see.