Author Topic: "Toho Project" on NHK World's "Imagine-Nation" program!  (Read 31125 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: "Toho Project" on NHK World's "Imagine-Nation" program!
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 01:11:13 PM »
Regarding the hundreds of books in ZUN's workshop shown in the programme, Ruw said that these are only a tenth of the books in the room; ZUN also has other rooms for books.

A lot of the books seen in the video are reference books on wide-ranging topics, including mushrooms. Plenty of books on Japanese folklore and village culture.

My friend sent us another update. Of the two monitors he use to work, the smaller one on the left is Mitsubishi MDT231WG (23-inch), and the bigger one on the right is Eizo FlexScan S2410W (24-inch). Both are expensive professional grade monitors, now discontinued.

You can of course, still see his trusty Edirol SD-90 Sound Canvas synthesizer by his side, the source of the ZUNpet sound.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 02:06:02 PM »
Yeah, the best part by far was the ZUN mini-interview. There were parts of the narration that (I think?) got their terms mixed up, and those hosts were just insufferable.

Love the fact that he starts building a stage with the music first. Really explains a lot.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
This could've been worse, like CNN's (in)famous Bad Apple report. With that said, I think these two did their best in introducing the series to someone who's never heard of it before.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »
This could've been worse, like CNN's (in)famous Bad Apple report. With that said, I think these two did their best in introducing the series to someone who's never heard of it before.
ANYTHING is way better than "it's about flying magical girls throwing bullets at each others!" when it comes to describing Touhou.

Personally, putting the obvious shmup game part aside, I like to consider Touhou as a compilation of standalone stories that complete themselves in each game, taking place in a fantasy world, whose setting is that of a mashup of pop culture and folklore, and with a large lore, female cast, music and fan culture.

Tengukami

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »

See, I didn't think the CNN thing was that bad. They were reporting on a viral video; not a game series. Also, it's CNN! :V

The hosts were fine from a factual standpoint in this NHK thing. I just thought dude especially was ... hard to watch. But yeah, that said, they pulled it off adequately.

Personally, putting the obvious shmup game part aside, I like to consider Touhou as a compilation of standalone stories that complete themselves in each game, taking place in a fantasy world, whose setting is that of a mashup of pop culture and folklore, and with a large lore, female cast, music and fan culture.

Same, only sometimes those stories span more than one game, in a sense.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
The fact Zun starts building his game around the music gives me a lot of hope for the future in game design. That's been a philosophy that I've been following since I started to even dabble in it. What feelings does this music give, what attacks can you imagine hearing a certain part of a song. God I love Zun's work so much!
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »
What is the piano Zun uses to compose music and the thing we see the composition of Eternal Short Lived Reign? Also what is the name of the program Zun uses to draw characters?
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:25 PM »
CBX-K2 as stated above and photoshop. The keyboard makes no sound on its own.

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2015, 12:37:07 AM »
CBX-K2 as stated above and photoshop. The keyboard makes no sound on its own.

But what he uses to draw that goes to the computer? Like a tablet or something...
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS

Tengukami

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 12:44:33 AM »
But what he uses to draw that goes to the computer? Like a tablet or something...

On the previous page of this thread.

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 12:47:44 AM »
Where can i buy a CBX-K2 and the WACOM Cintiq Companion tablet?

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 01:24:38 AM »
Use google to find a store near you? Why are you interested on the keyboard anyway?

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2015, 01:30:53 AM »
Use google to find a store near you? Why are you interested on the keyboard anyway?

Want to make music for a video game series i am thinking of  :3

Tengukami

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »
Well, it seems the CBX-K2 has been discontinued by Yamaha, so I guess your best bet is to search Ebay or something.

And yeah, Google is your friend, too ...

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2015, 02:04:07 AM »
Well, it seems the CBX-K2 has been discontinued by Yamaha, so I guess your best bet is to search Ebay or something.

And yeah, Google is your friend, too ...

Well you know like in Kobitothe Shining Needle with CBX-K3 can you  replicate the the spirit like sounding tunes in it like in 2.05? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv1yYDzvFtQ Also can we also do rock with it like in the beginning of it or Wakasagihime's theme?

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2015, 03:30:53 AM »
Well you know like in Kobitothe Shining Needle with CBX-K3 can you  replicate the the spirit like sounding tunes in it like in 2.05? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv1yYDzvFtQ Also can we also do rock with it like in the beginning of it or Wakasagihime's theme?

Like I said before the CBX keyboards don't make any sounds by themselves, you connect them to a PC to control VSTs and hardware synths using a DAW like Cubase. All sounds you hear in ZUN's music comes from his SD-90 and VSTs (most but not all come with recent versions of Cubase), not his keyboard. ZUN prefers his music to sound more or less like something you would hear in a late 90s PSX game, but VSTs have varying levels of realism. If you want to make your music sound realistic, it's possible for as long you can afford expensive VSTs and have the skills to use them to their full potential.

Most Yamaha unweighted keyboards feel more or less the same, so you don't need to get this specific one. If you don't have a keyboard yet, get one of those soundless MIDI controllers with touch sensitivity, pitch bend and a mod wheel, along with an USB audio interface and and a DAW like Cubase Artist 8. Cubase is a great DAW that comes with better sounds and effects than any keyboard of this price range, and the audio interface will give you near lagless audio which is essential for making music with a PC.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 04:32:29 AM by Not Bigode »

cuc

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2015, 03:32:10 AM »
Forgot to post this, transcript by persceaux (tohosubs):
http://pastebin.com/QpR9qUqM

The video and transcript links have also been updated into the OP.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2015, 12:05:46 PM »
Kind of weird how they just offhandedly mentioned the localization part though they expounded a bit more about the Play.Doujin deal.

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2015, 12:19:53 AM »
PS4 and Vita only? Dammit.

cuc

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2015, 01:22:19 AM »
PS4 and Vita only? Dammit.
The programme hasn't made any effort to clarify it, but it's the Play,Doujin! games (port of Touhou fan games) that will be PS4 and Vita-only. From the talks they've given, they seem to have no plans to port the official Touhou games to console at the moment.

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2015, 02:39:56 AM »
they seem to have no plans to port the official Touhou games to console at the moment.

Somehow I'm thankful.

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2015, 05:18:42 AM »
From twitter,
ZUN: アーカイブで見れるって教えてもらいました。ありがとうございます。全編英語でよくわかんねーけど自分の吹き替えの人の声に違和感w
Roughly translates to
ZUN: Thank you for letting me know how to view the archived program. It was entirely in English, so I didn't really understand it, but the voice of the person who dubbed me made me feel uncomfortable lol.
I can't agree more. That was the only one thing that really bothered me. I guess I'm just used to the way ZUN sounds, ya know?

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2015, 05:29:10 AM »
02:12
N: A monster known as a "Gensokyo" roams around the world of this game. The main character is a female shaman, Hakurei Reimu, who exterminates various monsters.

02:28
N: Players control a flying shaman known as a "danmaku" to defeat the enemy while avoiding the countless onslaught of bullets.

Oh god I'm feeling really salty about this, we have so many sources that explain Gensokyo being a place and not a monster. Reimu is now a danmaku huh... I can kinda forgive shaman but I'm pretty sure people do know what a shrine maiden is. 
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Tengukami

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »
Yeah that was really disconcerting. I can't imagine how they managed to get that wrong. Surely actual Japanese speakers put this little show together.

Maybe some intern who was about to quit anyway decided to troll the fandom.

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »
I seriously doubt it was anything malicious. My impression from watching it was that most of the mistakes were due to a toxic mixture of rushed research and iffy translation decisions. To be fair, I doubt they had the resources to grab an English speaking Touhou fan to help localise the text. Whoever they brought in to interpret ZUN seemed to make sense, though, but ofc we can't tell for sure without hearing the original Japanese.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I found the mistakes really really funny but I find these kinds of things hilarious anyway. Who knows, maybe a few people might decide to check out this 'touhou' thing after watching the programme.

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »
Meh, it's not like a bunch of people watch "Imagine-Nation" anyway.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »
Is this the first thing ever where there isn't any beer in a radius of 50 cm from ZUN?

Tengukami

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »
I seriously doubt it was anything malicious. My impression from watching it was that most of the mistakes were due to a toxic mixture of rushed research and iffy translation decisions.

Oh yeah, I was more or less kidding about the disgruntled intern theory. It just struck me as a weird mistranslation, not only from native Japanese speakers, but also considering what was mistranslated.

Not the end of the world, no, just really surprising.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
I, for one, feel like this wouldn't have been proper Touhou programming without multiple mistranslations. Touhou fans wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they were given a translation everyone agreed was a quality piece of work. <_<
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Tengukami

« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2015, 04:41:14 PM »
For the record, I'm not shitting on this or anything. The ZUN interview was great, the fans were adorable, and they got their information mostly right. But I don't see what's wrong with pointing out a major oops or two in what was an otherwise enjoyable experience.