Author Topic: Warhammer 40K  (Read 3578 times)

Warhammer 40K
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:22:19 AM »
WarHammer 40K is a sci-fi IP set 40,000 years in a dystopian future, where there is constant warfare between humans, aliens, and heretics.  Hallmarks of the games are over the top violence, really neat design, and reams of lore. 
Essentially: "IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR."

Originally started as a tabletop war game with miniatures, but more people know about the videogames, Dawn of War, Space Marine, Fire Warrior, maybe even Eternal Crusade.
I know there are people here who are familiar with the series, but I'm kinda curious how many Loyalists/Heretics/Xenos there are.
What kind of experience, if any, do you have with Warhammer? Do you have a favorite faction?  Anybody have a tabletop army? Read the books?

Personally I enjoy the Orks because of how ramshackle their technology is and I find their culture amusing.  They're supposed to be funny, in a game universe that could otherwise be taken much too seriously.
Most experience comes from playing Dawn of War, but I've also participated in a small scale tabletop battle that somebody had.  Never read the books, but have been reading more about the MMO in development.

Sahgren

Re: Warhammer 40K
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:48:46 AM »
All of my experience with the franchise is through Dawn of War, Space Marine, and the Ciaphas Cain: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM books (which I recommend if you want something more lighthearted from WH40k). I've never played the tabletop since I didn't particularly feel like selling off my organs in the name of affording an army.

I don't really have a favorite army, but I played the Eldar and Tyranids the most in Dawn of War. Mobility is niiiiice~.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 02:03:06 AM »
I

Absolutely

Love

Warhams

Too much

I'm hella broke tho and can't afford tiny plastic waifus :[

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »
I only played the original Dawn of War. I'm not good at RTS because mine is an excessive turtling style, but since this one gives you essentially infinite resources, I had some fun in skirmishes with CPU. I usually played as Space Marines because they're so versatile, picked Chaos when I wanted to see some heavy destruction, and tried Eldars a few times for a challenge.

But even with this little experience, I admire and respect this setting. Most of all thanks to a lot of quotable stuff. My favourite quotes (all coming from Space Marine Librarian, funny enough given what happens in the game's plot) are:

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:21:04 AM »
Don't know if anyone has been keeping tabs on Eternal Crusade development news, but on their bi-weekly stream they more or less said the game would be coming to Steam as well.  In conjunction with the 5 milion investment, outlook of having a Warhammer 40k MMO looks pretty positive, as opposed to the Dark Millenium debacle. 

Gameplay is looking to be 3rd person shooter PvP of a massive scale between the four main factions, and PvE against Tyranids.  I already pre-ordered because I know it's something I'd play, but can't really recommend because the game is over a year away from release. (Unless you like betas/bonuses.) Orks will be F2P to simulate the Green Tide, so that's an option too.  If you wanted to make an account, I've got a multi-use code that gives a small bonus, so just PM if you're interested.

Yadogari

• Hieda no Akyu of Shrinemaiden
  • Resident Jackass
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 06:36:27 AM »
Trying to get back into 40k stuf, been a while so I forgot a lot of stuff. Got a bunch of the rulebooks and stuff so I gotta read those and pathfinder stuff again.

Also rogue trader man.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »
I literally have a full Brotherhood of Grey Knights

And an unpainted army of spezz marines.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 02:44:55 AM »
Getting somewhere on this libarian. Could be chapter master or something maybe.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 03:52:43 AM »
I've never had any direct contact with Warhammer, but I run into it a lot. It seems like it's adjacent to just about every nerd thing I do, but we never quite fully cross paths.

I'm a tabletop gamer, so there are often people playing it around me. Although I think I conflate it with Warmachine a lot. I'm not actually sure what the difference is. All I really know about how the tabletop version plays is that it has a bad reputation for getting periodic overhauls that require you to buy expensive new rulebooks and fuck over your army with rules changes a lot. That doesn't seem terribly different from any other tabletop game, but people do complain about it a lot. And personally I don't really care for the measuring-tape-and-template style of miniatures game, having played a little Mage Knight years ago and had a lot of trouble with the lack of precision that comes with measuring everything by hand.

I just got into painting miniatures, so most of the video tutorials and things I use to learn are from Warhammer people and about Warhammer things, although I've been painting Super Dungeon Explore pieces. I have some Warhammer-branded paint I think. I've considered buying one of their paint starter kits, but decided against it because the colors don't really work for the cartoony Soda Pop Miniatures style. Then again even with brightly-colored cartoon character miniatures I can never have enough shades of gray and brown, so I probably could have put most of it to use after all.

I work in used books and stumbled across a big paperback book of Warhammer fiction that was bizarrely valuable six months or so ago, so I skimmed it on my lunch break out of curiosity. I thought it was pretty unreadable, but maybe I just didn't "get" it or I picked bad passages. It seemed hilariously over-the-top grimdark and macho, but I suppose it was probably supposed to be. Not really my thing, but I guess I'm biased.

One of my local game stores had a collection of really nice dioramas that had won contests at some point and had been donated to them that I liked looking at before that store closed. The coolest one was a tall rectangular block of acrylic with miniatures suspended throughout it that was an ocean scene. It had a boat floating on top of the "water" with a claw reaching down to pull up a treasure chest, a bunch of little guys walking on the ocean floor and swimming around, and fish and coral and stuff. I wonder what happened to that diorama when they closed? I know the people I work for bought out a lot of their inventory, so maybe we have it in storage somewhere. 
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »
It seemed hilariously over-the-top grimdark and macho, but I suppose it was probably supposed to be. Not really my thing, but I guess I'm biased.
It sounds like you got it.  Maybe you're more into fantasy settings rather than sci-fi?  That's cool.
I've always really liked the design of Warhammer stuff.

Also, found Russian papercraft schematics for making a Dreadnought.
[attach=1]

Came from this forum thread and the finished product can be downloaded here.  Instructions and customizations included.
I'd really like to make try and make this at some point.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
It sounds like you got it.  Maybe you're more into fantasy settings rather than sci-fi?  That's cool.
I've always really liked the design of Warhammer stuff.

Actually I think part of it is that I prefer sci-fi stuff and Warhammer is a little too fantasy for me. Does it actually have magic, or is it just magic-adjacent? And I've never really cared for "dystopian future" sci-fi. I assume that's what Warhammer is.

The designs are independently neat, but I get tired of a whole universe of them pretty quickly. I imagine that's why everyone likes the orcs so much, because they at least look fairly different from the rest of the factions.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 03:58:47 PM »
And I've never really cared for "dystopian future" sci-fi. I assume that's what Warhammer is.
Well, the tagline "In the grim darkness of the fortieth millennium" sort of gives it away. Basically everything is fucked and everyone is fighting to ensure that they stay alive to be fucked for just a bit longer. It's pretty depressing.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »
Actually I think part of it is that I prefer sci-fi stuff and Warhammer is a little too fantasy for me. Does it actually have magic, or is it just magic-adjacent?

The "magic" in 40k is explained as psychic powers or demon powers. I have a bunch of the power cards. Not sure if I got them all but they all have flavor text to kind of example the power.

Guess the new dark eldar codex is out. Not that I care about dark eldar.
Just that the Grey Knight codex update was a bit underwhelming since we didn't get any new models. :(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:43:37 AM by Cadmas »

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 05:36:56 AM »
Well wish there was more activity in this thread.  :colbert:

http://puu.sh/dDfEF/1b3117c681.jpg
http://puu.sh/dDfPK/4796c20cde.jpg

With my computer currently exploding. I decided to fix these guys up. They were a bunch of wanna be Blood Angels death company that were in pieces.
Now they're two 6 man squads of unpainted Angels of Iron. One is a tactical squad with a missile launcher.
The other is an assault squad. One guys got a plasma pistol so he can roll ones and kill himself, and Sergeant Sephiroths got a power sword.

Painting the base coats on them now. Amateurs model painting advice - stay away from doing black. Black Templars, Death Company, w/e avoid like the plague.
As expected its a nightmare to paint over black and blood red. Don't even think of priming black either I've seen guides that say to do this and its not a better route. Expect to do 2-3 base coats when you could have just did one.
I cant re-prim these death company sadly. Doing so would just turn them into clumps. I already threw out a head b/c the face was just gone. Thankfully I have about a 100+ replacement heads.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:33:15 PM by Cadmas »

Gilgamesh

• King of Heroes
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
You will all fall before the might of my Legions of Chaos Daemons!

....as soon as I get to painting them up. Eventually. I'll get pics up one of these days.

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 02:04:19 AM »
You will all fall before the might of my Legions of Chaos Daemons!

....as soon as I get to painting them up. Eventually. I'll get pics up one of these days.

Please do get pics. In the meantime its space marines 24/7.

These are the death company now http://puu.sh/dIqLd/584309b00a.jpg

I also managed to find 5 jump packs in order to make an assault squad with jump packs.
http://puu.sh/dIqRb/a5f266b644.jpg
One of the guys got a flamer, another has a plasma pistol, and the sergeant has a combat shield with a lightning claw.
I have 3 assault squads with no jump packs. So I'm happy to have some angry jumping marines.

Next comes this guy. http://puu.sh/dIqGO/2cca9e233b.jpg
He was part of the DC but was a lowly snap figure. I couldn't find a gun for him so I put him aside thinking I wouldn't use him.
But I found a bolter for him with some rather large hands attached to it so now he has gone from lowly snap figure to the mighty Sergeant Titanfists!

Alright last one before I go to bed. http://puu.sh/dIzdB/9627ae34a4.jpg
Put together a command squad. (From left to right) Apothecary is in, he has a Narthecium I had to take from a Grey Knight terminator sprue.
Next guy has got a power fist and a bolter but its just gonna have to be a bolt pistol b/c le codex rules. Maybe there's a special character or relic that allows this but idk.
Middle guy is holding a power axe and storm shield. Hes not a champion but I might make one later that can be swapped in.
Next guy is basic cs/bp, and pointing guy has got combi-melta. He'll fire a two handed weapon with one hand he don't give a fuck.

Anyways I cut my thumb and its already 12am so I'm done for the moment. Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:11:15 AM by Cadmas »

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 05:01:35 AM »
Well wish there was more activity in this thread.
We're all poor and can't afford armies.
Seriously though, thanks for showing off yours.

How painstaking and long does the painting take?
Even painting models of cars and planes is pretty difficult for me.

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »
We're all poor and can't afford armies.
Seriously though, thanks for showing off yours.

How painstaking and long does the painting take?
Even painting models of cars and planes is pretty difficult for me.

It doesn't take me so long to do the painting. I have about 100 guys and could have painted them all by now, but I just do it little by little.
Detail work typically takes the most time. I don't do highlights because they don't work well with silver marines so that's a step I get to skip entirely.
It's just space marines are really one of the easier armies to paint. They are very large and simple. You really make the work yourself when you try and add more details like purity seals and decals.
And a big part of it is the colors you choose to paint. I wouldn't touch White Scars, Black Templars, or  Imperial fists. Also, I wouldn't recommend using games workshop paint. Too much cost for the amount you get.

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 06:44:37 AM »
I discovered Warhammer through Dawn of War, which my parents got me as a gift to match a new computer a long time ago. It got me pretty hooked to RTS games, though I only played the campaign and against AI because I had no idea how to actually set up an account. I found out that it was a tabletop many years later, but by that time I was a slave to computer and console games so I didn't go the full distance.

Oh low-tech, spammable Whirlwinds, how I miss you.

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 03:11:27 AM »
Just listing off stock for the moment. I'm starting to run out of weapons for new marines.

9 Tactical squads (45 marines)
5 assault squads (1 squad with jump packs)  (25 marines)
1 Command squad (5 marines)
1 Honor guard (5 marines) http://puu.sh/dKO7l/354f74ccd1.jpg
1 librarian
1 chaplain 

Squad of 8 terminators
1 terminator librarian

11 Scouts

4 dreadnoughts

1 predator tank

Random guys include 2 guys with meltaguns, One with a flamer, and guy with chainsword
2 assault terminators, 2 bikes (need 3 for a squad) and a lone space wolf