Author Topic: [Wine] Certain Touhou Games (10, 14, 14.3) run at 20 FPS  (Read 10918 times)

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
[Wine] Certain Touhou Games (10, 14, 14.3) run at 20 FPS
« on: July 11, 2014, 04:28:54 PM »
Bug 36882

Basically, Touhou 14 (1.00b, Japanese) and 14.3 (1.00a, Japanese) are running at 20 FPS rather than 60 on Wine 1.7.20 and 1.7. 21 (MacOSX). However, I have no clue when this started or if it is present on Linux machines. I would greatly appreciate if other Wine users could submit test data to the AppDB for Touhou 14 and 14.3 for Wine versions between 1.7.5 and 1.7.20 to fill the gaps and perhaps back up or refute the presence of this bug on certain operating systems, etc.

I really do not want to have to do a git bisect for this as it is time consuming and I have a history of not being able to make it work correctly.

Thank you very much.

Bug link here: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36882
Touhou 14.3 on the AppDB: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=16176
Touhou 14 on the AppDB: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=15180

P.S. While I am at this, I will most likely be providing test data for all other Touhou games.

UPDATES:
7/13/2014: Ugh Mountain of Faith has it too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:07:17 PM by Sparen »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Hi, I run both of these games in WINE 1.6.1 without any issues. For this, I opened custom.exe and set the Frameskip to 1/2 and the Input Latency at Fast.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
Hi, I run both of these games in WINE 1.6.1 without any issues. For this, I opened custom.exe and set the Frameskip to 1/2 and the Input Latency at Fast.

OK. Thanks. Unfortunately, that's not particularly helpful since 1.6.1 was released in November 2013 between 1.7.6 and 1.7.7, but that lowers the range for the bisect if I have to do one.

If someone could test in 1.6.2, that would probably help, but there's a chance it might break both of the games along with Danmakufu 0.12m.

Tengukami

You could also just install a separate 1.6.1 directory, and install the games there. Did that for a few games at one point or another, until the relevant .dll was found, or devs caught up.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
You could also just install a separate 1.6.1 directory, and install the games there. Did that for a few games at one point or another, until the relevant .dll was found, or devs caught up.

Actually, that reminded me of the fact that I can simply activate 1.6.2. I'll be doing that.

Tengukami

Cool! If you have issues opening the custom.exe, the thcrap patch actually resolves that very easily. The settings are for whatever reason important in ISC especially.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
In 1.6.2, the game works perfectly (Impossible Spellcard).

Looks like I'll have to worm my way through a git bisect. Ugh. (It could be worse)

Thanks for the information though. And while I'm at it, they seem to have released a new version of Wine in the time between my test data entries, which is sort of annoying but I'll deal with it.

Tengukami

Please do post results when you get things up and running! It could be a useful resource for the archives.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
Please do post results when you get things up and running! It could be a useful resource for the archives.

OK. However, I'm not a Wine programmer, so the most I can do is find what went wrong and wait for someone else to hopefully rectify it.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
Re: [Wine] Certain Touhou Games (10, 14, 14.3) run at 20 FPS
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 01:17:10 AM »
Unfortunately, I am unable to configure wine-git, and I do not know how to approach the errors due to limited support. I will try to figure out what is wrong, but I need feedback from other people in order to manually see what the problem could be.

Currently, the issue I have is the following:

Code: [Select]
checking for X... no
configure: error: X 32-bit development files not found. Wine will be built
without X support, which probably isn't what you want. You will need
to install 32-bit development packages of Xlib/Xfree86 at the very least.
Use the --without-x option if you really want this.

when I run

CC="ccache gcc -m32" ./configure --verbose --disable-tests
If anyone could help me figure this out, I might be able to actually compile wine-git from source and start the bisect.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »
I just ran MoF on my wine installation (Mac) and it ran perfectly fine. Running on 1.7.22.

Not sure on DDC and ISC yet as wine doesn't even seem to want to load DDC atm. It's just sitting there. I'll update when I get something.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that for MoF, I'm using the vsync patch, though I've never really noticed it ever making a difference before.

As for DDC and ISC, I cannot get them to load at all. The custom.exe programs won't load up either. This is what I see when I load up custom.exe from both games (the error code is identical)
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x32d6e4 0x0): stub
And when I load up the games, this is what I get. (the code for both games are identical here too)
fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x32ed00 0x0): stub
fixme:dwmapi:DwmEnableComposition (0) stub

After those show up, nothing ever happens. I can see from the terminal that wine is still running, it just seems to be completely stuck. I've made sure everything is updated as well. I guess you're lucky enough that you can at least run the games at all.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:21:13 PM by Agent of the BSoD »
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 07:54:57 PM »
I just ran MoF on my wine installation (Mac) and it ran perfectly fine. Running on 1.7.22.

Not sure on DDC and ISC yet as wine doesn't even seem to want to load DDC atm. It's just sitting there. I'll update when I get something.

How did you build wine? Did you use Homebrew? MacPorts? Precompiled application with Winebottler? Wine-git? Built from source?

Also, did you include the d3dx9_31.dll in the folder?

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 08:26:56 PM »
How did you build wine? Did you use Homebrew? MacPorts? Precompiled application with Winebottler? Wine-git? Built from source?

Also, did you include the d3dx9_31.dll in the folder?
Looks like MotK didn't inform me of this post when I edited my previous one. I'm using MacPorts. I have not included that library. I can try that and see what happens now.
Absolutely no difference at all.
TF2 Backpack

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:44:38 PM »
This entire time I've been hoping that this isn't my fault...

Are you using a retina display computer?

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 11:50:58 PM »
Nope. It's actually an old enough Mac that it only supports up to Lion (which is what it's running). 20-inch late '06 model.
TF2 Backpack

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »
Nope. It's actually an old enough Mac that it only supports up to Lion (which is what it's running). 20-inch late '06 model.

Ok. That's actually helpful since my *new* computer has a retina display and one of my graphical editors broke when I transferred data to the new one since the retina display impairs its functionality. I really hope that it *isn't* the problem, but since DDC and ISC have a different resolution from the other games (I can't explain why MoF isn't working - I need to check Uwabami Breakers since it's the same engine), that may be one of the problems.

Can you try MoF without the vsync patch? Also, is wine freezing/crashing on DDC and ISC or does it just work very slowly?

Also: Do you have anything installed via winetricks?

P.S. If you *do* have a version of wine between 1.6.2 and 1.7.20, can you try activating one of those? I lost all of my old wine versions after my MacPorts install got so bogged down with ridiculous amounts of ports that I had to just purge the entire thing and restart.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 02:45:28 AM »
MoF works fine without vsync.

Unfortunately, I don't have any previous versions of Wine, I typically uninstall old components after updating everything.

With DDC and ISC, I get those errors and then I presume Wine crashes or freezes. Terminal still lists Wine in the title during this but nothing ever happens no matter how long I wait. I just assume Wine encountered something it couldn't handle and freaked.

I don't use winetricks, just MacPorts with dev builds of wine.

Actually, I was about to post this when I went to test something. How are you running MoF and the others, windowed or fullscreen? I've been doing them fullscreen. I just tested MoF in windowed and it's locked to 29.7 fps and is experiencing slowdown (no vsync patch). Aaaaaand after doing that I went back to fullscreen and the fps is hanging around 50 but it's erratic. This looks more like a memory leak or something. I think I need to restart this system.

EDIT: Ok, I tested MoF again with windowed first, still locked to 30 fps, and then back on fullscreen and it went back to a normal 60. (still without vsync) I think what happened earlier was because the system was overheating, as everything on it suddenly became really slow to respond, so I let the machine cool down a bit. DDC and ISC still won't load up.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:03:42 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
All of the games are run (on my machine) in Windowed mode.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »
Just updated to 1.7.23 and I still can't get DDC or ISC to launch. Still doing the exact same thing as before, though it's really hogging up the CPU to do absolutely nothing. I even deleted the cfg files to see if that was messing something up. Guess not.

As for MoF, it runs fine in windowed with the vsync patch, but without it, it's locked on my end to 30 fps.
TF2 Backpack

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 08:44:17 PM »
Just updated to 1.7.23 and I still can't get DDC or ISC to launch. Still doing the exact same thing as before, though it's really hogging up the CPU to do absolutely nothing. I even deleted the cfg files to see if that was messing something up. Guess not.

As for MoF, it runs fine in windowed with the vsync patch, but without it, it's locked on my end to 30 fps.

Thanks for the input. Do any other games have the issue without the vsync patch?

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 02:57:32 AM »
Just testing all ZUN only games here.

PCB if run in fullscreen without vsync does this thing where it's constantly scrolling up and never stops. Windowed or vsync fixes it. No fps issues there.

MoF, as listed before, runs at 30 fps in windowed without vsync.

SA and UFO refuse to launch, with and without vsync. I don't know what's going on here, it's worked in the past.

Also, I haven't been able to open any of the custom.exe files from the games. Both them and the above listed games don't throw any errors, they just do nothing.

DS just throws out
fixme:dwmapi:DwmEnableComposition (0) stuband never loads.

GFW and TD say
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x0 1 0x0 0
fixme:dwmapi:DwmEnableComposition (0) stub
and never load.

And we know what DDC and ISC do.

DS, GFW, and TD were also tested with vsync and do the exact same thing as without it. Not even the dialogue boxes show up. They definitely messed something up because all the games used to work before.
TF2 Backpack

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 03:20:49 PM »
This is really weird, because I have a completely different set of test results.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 07:22:35 PM »
It very well could be the differences between the setups we're using. I'm using MacPorts so all the extensions are just added automatically.
TF2 Backpack

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 11:33:42 PM »
I'm also using MacPorts though. I haven't updated to 1.7.23 though.

The fact remains though that I can't git bisect, which is a major problem.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 04:57:17 AM »
Hmm, then I don't know why the results would be different. That is very weird. I guess we'll just have to wait for now and see if future updates will eventually fix it. I may try to downgrade to the stable branch later and see if they launch again, because I believe I had no problems back then, though I dunno about DDC and ISC since they kinda weren't out yet.
TF2 Backpack

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »
1.7.22 additional notes:

TH 6 caps at 30 FPS
TH7 and TH8 are stuck on loading screen for me. I can't even get the main menu to load.

I'm going to update and then roll out test data hopefully in the next two weeks for as many applications as possible. I also need to see *where* the bug occurred, which is going to be a major pain as I need to find out how to obtain wine's build dependencies without conflicting with the software on my computer.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
I'm on 1.7.24.

EoSD runs fine in fullscreen and windowed with and without vsync. No notable fps drops.

PCB has a few random dips in fps every few seconds in windowed with and without vsync but not in fullscreen. Fullscreen without vsync still produces infinite menu scrolling leaving me to force quit the game.

IN has the same issues with fps that PCB has, but with vsync it's not as bad. (5 fps decrease on average, compared to no vsync IN and PCB with about 10 fps decrease randomly)

The custom.exes still aren't loading here, they're still hogging up the CPU massively but nothing ever happens. And all the other games do exactly what they did a few posts back on my last report, including 30fps MoF in windowed without vsync. However, MoF also has very unstable fps in fullscreen without vsync, more so than PCB, getting as much as a 30 - 35 fps drops. I still can't open DDC and ISC.
TF2 Backpack

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 12:44:50 AM »
Ugh. I haven't tested 1.7.24.

Also, I REALLY want to figure out what's different between my and your systems.

I'm going to post my specs now (will be away for a week)

OSX 10.9.3
2.8 GHz Dual Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Retina, 13 inch Late 2013 MacBook Pro (11,1)
Intel Iris Graphics - GPU Built in with 1536 VRAM, Retina LCD

Wine 1.7.24 (previously 1.7.22, haven't tested anything yet)
Defaults to XP settings
No DLL Overrides
No virtual desktop emulation

Touhou games
EoSD v1.02 w/ English patch. NO DLL
PCB v1.00b w/ English patch. NO DLL
IN v?.?? w/ English patch. NO DLL
PoFV v1.00b? w/ English patch. NO DLL
MoF v1.00 w/ English patch. d3dx9_31.dll
SA v1.?? w/ English patch. d3dx9_37.dll
UFO v1.00b w/ English patch. d3dx9_40.dll
TD v1.?? w/ English patch. d3dx9_43.dll
DDC v1.00b. NO DLL

UB v1.??. NO DLL
ISC v1.00. NO DLL

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 06:39:56 AM »
I'll just use the format you used for simplicity.

OS X 10.7.5 (can't upgrade further because system is no longer supported)
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
20-inch Late 2006 iMac (5,1)
ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB

Wine 1.7.25 (they updated again :V, but it hasn't made a difference here)
Same things here as with your post

Touhou games
EoSD v1.02h w/ English patch.
PCB v1.00b w/ English patch.
IN v1.00d w/ English patch.
PoFV v1.50a w/ English patch.
MoF v.1.00a w/ English patch.
SA v.1.00a w/ English patch.
UFO v.1.00b w/ English patch.
TD v.1.00c w/ English patch.
DDC v.1.00b
ISC v.1.00a

No DirectX dll files for any of them.
TF2 Backpack

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 08:10:18 PM »
Thanks. I'm going to gradually post progress here, since I don't have maintainer powers on the AppDB. It's best to check here before submitting after all.

I'll try to start getting data as soon as I can.