Author Topic: Touhou 12 - 東方星蓮船 ~ Undefined Fantastic Object. An undefined article.  (Read 191720 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
I haven't heard the theme yet (I'm not quite that good a player, and my work actually blocks YouTube), but I love the title "Heian Alien". The Heian period reminds me of everything romantic and ornate about medieval Japan. Combine that with aliens and you just can't go wrong.

her theme sounds more sinister than romantic, honestly. the first time i heard it i got chills.

ZUN is FABULOUS as usual. and i haven't even listened to anything other than the extra stage theme(which is growing on me) and the extra boss theme

Listening to it now ... and yeah, the first minute or so is reminiscent of UN Owen Was Her, with those arpeggios and Burtonesque decrescendos and all, but then it goes into this kind of ... mellow? ... folk-jazzy piece that I wouldn't think would fit in at all but actually transitions very smoothly. I rather like it. It's like what UN Owen Was Her would become if ZUN had composed it at the age he is now.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

The extra boss looks... pretty easy actually. Some of her spellcards are almost trival, and Kogasa's last spell is laughable (although I think it gets pretty hard if you time it out).

Then again I haven't actually tried it. Also the stage portion looks like rape.

Try it yourself, seriously.

Kogasa's laser spin messed with my head, first attack walls, second attack is fast paced insanity.  Nue has some easier attacks, but that's comparable to other extras.  She does, however, have some really nasty attacks near the end.

My extra clear -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz4s-kDQL-8&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4jiVdL78o&fmt=22

Harder than it looks, I guess.

Tengukami

Harder than it looks, I guess.

Rest assured that looked pretty hard to me. O_O

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
Yeah, looks pretty challenging to me as well :)

Drake

Heian Alien also reminds me of Hartmann's, at points the notes seem the same. Same key signature?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
And with all the fighting over Murasa, Byakuren and Nue, I seem to have Shou all to myself.

Except as soon as I heard she was a tiger youkai, the mental image of Fujimura Taiga fell in and will never get out.
But then again Taiga is awesome, so yeah. :/

And I got to claim the Touhou's resident nun. Woo! I just hope she doesn't get a hold of a ruler...

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
Any interesting replays yet? Preferentially from Extra because I know I'm never going to unlock it

well it's not a replay, but this guy uploaded 3 videos of the extra stage on Youtube.

here's part 2, just check their other videos for the other parts.

Letty Whiterock

It's like what UN Owen Was Her would become if ZUN had composed it at the age he is now.
If ZUN had composed U.N.Owen now, it probably would've sounded like Sunny Milk's Scarlet Mist Disaster.

stevarn

Any official game rips/soundtrack yet? All I did was upload Heian Alien on youtube but my method of recording wasnt the best...
On a random side note please watch it to make it the number 1 Heian Alien on youtube ><

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
If ZUN had composed U.N.Owen now, it probably would've sounded like Sunny Milk's Scarlet Mist Disaster.
U.N. Owen Was Her?
Sunny Milk's Scarlet Mist Incident

Whoa
Spoiler:
THEY'RE JUST ABOUT THE SAME.

Spoiler:
Of course, it's a remix.

I need to pay more attention to ZUN's Music CDs, it seems.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:46:08 PM by Nwbi »

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
1cc'd Normal.

Thoughts: The game itself grew on me. I entered the game hating it from the demo and while Stages 1-3 remind rather uninteresting, Stages 4-6 kicked the difficulty up to an enjoyable level.

Characters are what I always said; bland. This game has the worst cast in a game yet.

Music: Another weak area. There's only around 3 tracks that I'll consider listening to out of game. Another poor job.

Spell cards: Fun, this game they focused on the fireball-like bullets and scenarios where you are tightly surrounded, which was one of my weak areas. Great for training.

What I think should happen for Touhou 13? No more new characters, they're getting stale. The vast majority of people I have asked have said that SWRS was superior to UFO cast-wise which I agree with. The series has a lot of good characters, we don't need any more. Music also needs an improvement, it was highly bland and unmemorable which is unusual for a Touhou game.

Best moment of the game: The final boss using one of the most memorable attacks from the PC-98 series on you, Shinki's apocalyptic barrage. Love it.

Well you can't please everybody.
As for older characters coming back let just believe a TH12.5 is coming and will be to the liking.
Will they be PC-98? Probably not.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:57:55 PM by Cadmas »

Tengukami

Oh, that's right - Mima didn't return. Now I get it.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
yes- 5%
no- 95%

hi Mima

about 2 hours until get home,i can't motherfucking wait

My mini-review: It's pretty good. Another Touhou game; the world turns, and nothing (outside of the Touhou fandom) changes. Final boss theme was appropriately epic; I have yet to memorize any themes, or any characters' names besides CAPTAIN MINAMITSU MOTHERFUCKING MURASA, but give it time.
Spoiler:
Also I have haxcheats for it if anyone wants them

Nine West

• How wonderful!
I have yet to memorize any themes, or any characters' names besides CAPTAIN MINAMITSU MOTHERFUCKING MURASA, but give it time.

Even Muffin is catching on to that, huh. Captain is now officially a Memetic Badass
Spoiler:
not to mention her theme, which is named after her name.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:14:33 PM by Nwbi »

Gpop

Spoiler:

Really, I want them so I can see WHAT they are, and how effective they are for you.

If Shinki got replaced, that would make Alice get a new mommy? XD

I'd really want to see those lunatic patterns since I can't find any replays yet.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
Spoiler:
Already? Daaaamn.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
oh gods.. what happened to everyone after i went off to study..

UFO CRAZE, HERE, MOTK! NuUuuuuuuuu

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
Oh, that's right - Mima didn't return. Now I get it.
If you've read my posts lately regarding this topic you'll know that I don't want Mima to return any more, mostly due to reasons regarding the fandom.

I don't hugely mind who actually returns instead of new characters. Just as long as they're older characters and not just new ones that seem to be getting increasingly worse.

I suppose one thing that's certain is that the mention of Makai in a song name  and Shinki's attack reappearing... ZUN certainly hasn't forgotten about PC-98, which is nice to hear.

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
Spoiler:
Already? Daaaamn.
well there was the demo as a base (dunno how good that is) and I'm pretty sure ZUN's still using the third engine
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Tengukami

I was mostly teasing, Mima. I actually am of both minds about the cast - I love seeing new characters come into the mix, and I like this batch especially. At the same time, it'd be nice to see some older characters make a return and get some play. But it's not really a deal-breaker for me either way.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Ok what.

Stage 5 is just a complete mind-rape and Syou's giant non-directional lasers is nerve-wracking.

Have yet to get to Stage 6 yet because I've been too impatient to restart constantly and try to beat Syou.

I will say this though, Ichirin's and Syou's boss themes are kick-ass.

Played it through once on Normal, having watched a video of the demo once and nothing since. All I've been doing for the last week is grinding VoWG so I was glad of the change.

Stage 1 - Not too taxing.
Stage 2 - Had to bomb Kogasa's first card due to a blunder but otherwise perfect.
Stage 3 - HOLY CRAP, THOSE BROFIST SPRITES ARE HUGE. I died a couple of times here because of my initial shock.

Stage 4 - Perfected the stage first try (VoWG practice was good for the glowing orb thingy). Died horribly to boss' first spellcard (worked out what was going on in seconds but still couldn't dodge fast enough) and bombed the third to stay alive. That was it O HAI THERE SURVIVAL CARD and I die two seconds from a capture.

Stage 5 - Got to boss, Game Over'd. Tried again, Game Over'd at Nazrin. Tried again, got to boss, thought I had won...CRAP, IT'S THAT SPELL FROM UWATABI BREAKERS THAT I THOUGHT LOOKED INSANE. *Somehow* I broke through and beat the stage.

Stage 6 - She's kicked my ass four times and I decided to stop for the night.

Great game though.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
Ok what.

Stage 5 is just a complete mind-rape and Syou's giant non-directional lasers is nerve-wracking.

Have yet to get to Stage 6 yet because I've been too impatient to restart constantly and try to beat Syou.

I will say this though, Ichirin's and Syou's boss themes are kick-ass.

what about Nue mannnnnn

while i enjoy Ichirin's theme to no end and haven't heard Syou's yet, Nue's is just so aghnahdgabydvuyiar

OKAY I'M GOING TO PLAY UFO NOW HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE predicting death at stage 4 because of MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF EXCITEMENT

stevarn

Heres my Normal Playthrough
Stage 1: pretty normal
Stage 2: Lost a life because i have yet to figure out how to dodge all of her spellcards
Stage 3: Brofist gave me a bit of trouble, but i already know how to beat them all

Stage 4: UFO craze = dead, since i played easy first I did NOT EXPECT that survival card at the end and lived with one life
Stage 5: Died, Retried, surprisingly didn't die on the boss at all, though my future playthroughs always end up in me dying to her lazers, seriously...
Stage 6: Died, Retried, Died/Retried x 20, finally figured out strategies to dodge her 1st spell, 2nd nonspell, and 2nd spell, but always ends up dying due to negligence, never really got passed her 3rd spellcard, had to bomb my way through, by now I would be out of bombs/lives, eventually i gave up

Really want to get to Nue~

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
OH MY GOD STAGE 4 AHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

DIED ON REIMU A, TRIED ON SANAE B

LOST 5 LIVES IN A SPAN OF 10 SECONDS ON STAGE 4

GOD DAMN, SAILOR LOLI IS SO AWESOME

brb trying again

Nine West

• How wonderful!
Finally got the game working...

I'm doing a Marisa A run on easy but Stage 5 owned me three times already, the farthest I've gone is Syou's second-to-last spellcard. God, those curving lasers are killer.

For the record, Stage 4 was the most fun (and easiest), and Kogasa's last spellcard is impossible for me without bombing.

... I suck at Touhou.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
I just realized that you could bomb in this game *face nail*
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"