Author Topic: Subtitle Review Requested  (Read 3377 times)

Subtitle Review Requested
« on: February 15, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm working with subtitles for the first time, but my Japanese is far from perfect, so instead of translating something from scratch, I'm currently touching up a translation of "Memories of Phantasm Episode 3" that wasn't quite perfect english. But for some of the parts I'm not entirely sure what the original Japanese was trying to say, so I was hoping someone here would be willing to download and watch my subbed version and let me know if any of the translations are off from what the dub is saying. As a note, I am aware that the subtitles are not perfectly aligned with the voices, but I wanted to get the wordings set in stone before I start playing with subtitle timing and duration. This is where I found the subtitle file and Japanese Dub, and this is my current version of the Episode. Thanks to anyone who does this for me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:40:32 AM by fumblemuffin »

Re: Subtitle Review Requested
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:44:01 AM »
Just edited the post to make the hyperlinks better, sorry about that guys, I'm not used to BBCode.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
Just heads up, you don't need to post your thread in other sections. We moved it from Rika to addict as it has better chance of getting attention here :)

Good luck.

--Helepolis

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
  • I feed on your tears...
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
I uploaded my version, like, a week ago, but it was taken down because of a copyright claim as well, and after talking with Reddevils500 (the one who uploaded the subs for the previous episodes), he told me that he had subs ready, he was just waiting for the dubbed version by Pika, he just didn't know when she was going to do it, if ever. Also, I don't know if there's anything we'll be able to do if Manpuku keeps flagging the videos that comes out, which would kinda suck for english people. :ohdear:

If it can help you, this is the link to my translation here (might not be perfect, I'm still learning japanese, but I don't think it's too bad. It's also missing 3 lines in Yukari/Ran dialogue that I still can't understand)

(for some reason, the video is not working for me, what program did you use to play it?)
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Now working with Touhou-Online in French

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
It plays with vlc. Also, I'm not planning on uploading this to YouTube, so I don't need to worry about it being taken down.

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:43:53 AM »
who claimed the copyright though? if it not the doujin group that made the Fanime, then you guys should counter-claim it, as if I understand it right it perfectly ok to upload Touhou-related stuff to youtube.

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:07:23 PM »
who claimed the copyright though? if it not the doujin group that made the Fanime, then you guys should counter-claim it, as if I understand it right it perfectly ok to upload Touhou-related stuff to youtube.
The email reads:

Bonjour lykan0921,
Nous avons d?sactiv? le contenu suivant suite ? la notification d'un tiers (満福神社) signalant que ce contenu porte atteinte ? :
【Touhou Anime】東方Fantasy Kaleidoscope Ep.3 ~ The Scarlet Mist Incident (Middle Part) [Eng Sub]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7OBk6mTbkQ

It's in french but the second line is basically saying that 満福神社, Manpuku Jinja, flagged the video. Now, I don't know if it was really them, or someone using their name, but in any case, I don't really want to take the chance to get my account closed. Maybe it was because I didn't change anything in the video, I didn't add any dub or hard subs, but I don't really know. And anyway at this point, I'm like meh, don't really care.

I haven't had much time yet, but I'll try to look over the translated video to see if there's any flagrant flaws in it this weekend.
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:47:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/manpuku_jinja/status/417870715615203328
According to this twitter convo, they'll flag any videos without exception (except things like MADs and アフレコ, which I'm guessing refers to people adding voices) unless the uploader got permission from them. So it's probably because the subbers didn't ask permission first. I'm sure if the subbers send an email (in Japanese ofc) apologising and then asking for proper permission, they'd be okay with it.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 06:08:30 AM »
 I took a look over your version and made a lot of changes.
You can see what I changed here.

Punctuation marks like hyphens, em dashes, and ellipses should always be attached to a word and never surrounded by spaces.  As you stated, the timing for the subtitles were off, but I hope that you also try to avoid 3-liners. One line is usually sufficient enough but anymore than 2-lines distracts takes up too much of the screen and causes the viewer to focus more on the subtitles than the animation.   I would also advise that that the positioning of the karaoke be moved to the top of the screen and the translation be placed lower to avoid overlapping with the credits.  This might be because of the choice of font. The final issue I had was when the episode title appeared.  The way the subs are formatted overlapped with the original title screen.

Here's my subtitle file if you want to view it in Aegisub:
https://mega.co.nz/#!5ochDRgb!Q30J38Z6JliUxqLY2E3jQu_XDq_ornuXvvxNRjnrNxE

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »
Yeah I hadn't really even touched the formatting, so thank you for saving me that, I was more concerned with the translation itself at this point, as some of the things in the Ran and Yukari speech seemed kinda vague or off, but I wasn't really sure what the correct thing was, so I just tried to touch up the grammar, but I still felt some meaning was missing. Same with the "just like Reimu" line towards the beginning, the subtitle I was editing didn't really understand what they were referring to, but was unable to tell just by listening to the raw. I still appreciate the work though, that was gonna be my next step.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »
- I would use Shrine Maiden, instead of Priestess, because 巫女 (miko) is her formal title and is more commonly used to refer to the girl tending to shrines and temples in Japan. It's also like this that her title is always translated in the english games.

Yeah I hadn't really even touched the formatting, so thank you for saving me that, I was more concerned with the translation itself at this point, as some of the things in the Ran and Yukari speech seemed kinda vague or off, but I wasn't really sure what the correct thing was, so I just tried to touch up the grammar, but I still felt some meaning was missing. Same with the "just like Reimu" line towards the beginning, the subtitle I was editing didn't really understand what they were referring to, but was unable to tell just by listening to the raw. I still appreciate the work though, that was gonna be my next step.
- For the "just like Reimu": Marisa is talking about how the Moriya Shrine was forced to hold a banquet because of the trouble they caused with this incident, and then she goes, that's just like Reimu to make them to that, that's the way she makes them repent for what they did.

- Also, the lines right after was translated as "But I was ready for a gathering like this" is wrong, she says 前にもこういうことあった気がするぜ, which would kinda be "(There exists)(this is only implied with ある/あった, which is "to be" in the past, and normally not directly translated, it's just to say that something was here) a feeling of something like this (talking about the banquet and how Reimu makes the incident makers handle them) some time ago, was done". So you could put it as "I've got a feeling she did something like that before too", the ぜ just makes her more forceful in the sentence. At least, this is how I see it. She is probably referring about the fact that it's the second incident caused by the Moriya Shrine back to back, so the banquet they had to hold to make amends for the "Mountain of Faith" events wasn't too long ago.

- On line 8, I would use "Just when I finally decided "Now it's my turn to go on the offensive!", the magician Patchouli threw cold water on us", or even shorter "Just when I finally decided to make my counterattack, the magician Patchouli threw cold water on us". 水を差した is a fixed expression from what I could find that means "to throw cold water on", and it has a nice double entendre, since she stops their fight at it's peak, and she gets Flan stuck in a water bubble.

- Line 11, "Of course, I didn't pay attention to any of that" doesn't make any sense. With the last episode, her attitude against Patchouli was more, "I'll beat you up then go beat up Remilia to save the day", and she says 黙って (to be silent), 見過ごす (to overlook), わけがない (わけ normally means "reason" when used as a noun, but following a verb like this, with the negation, it adds the sense "there's no way we can permit (something)"); So the expression 黙って見過ごすわけがない would be "There's no way we can keep silent (about something)". The entire sentence now becomes "There's no way I could stay silent about something like that!" or "There's no way I could ignore what she's doing!" or something along those lines.

- Line 13, I would use "in a pretty desperate situation" instead of "in quite the dilemma", because Marisa is kinda of a tomboy, and her vocabulary isn't something that grand, but that's just my personal opinion.

I'll check for Ran and Yukari in a bit, it's a part where I really struggled to translate as well. But I can already see this:

- Line 35, when Ran says ありがとうございます, while the direct meaning is "Thank you", it makes no sense to say for Ran to say that to Yukari, Yukari hasn't said anything to praise Ran. The meaning is more "Thanks to you (it was resolved successfully, going back to what Yukari just said before)" meaning that Yukari had some involvement in the case (which she did, since we're talking about the underground geyser incident, and Yukari was there to help Reimu).

- Line 36, "Beautiful moon" is lacking, the meaning is right, but there's no way you would hear something say just that in english, we'll need to add a bit more. Also, the particle ねえ at the end here will indicate a small exclamation, and most of the time ね is used to seek an approval from someone else. So, in the end, I would use "Such a beautiful moon, no?"

- Line 52, Ran is saying "Dog... paddle...?" in reference to the swimming style, not just doggie
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:11:17 PM by kuilfrayt »