Author Topic: Character Naming Help?  (Read 2932 times)

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
Character Naming Help?
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:06:04 AM »
**I really had no idea where to post this, so I guess I'll post it here. Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section.

One of the main characters in my Touhou Sprite Comic: Magician Chronicles (Check it out in Alice's Art Atelier, or click the link in my signature if you don't want to look for it.) is unnamed. I feel that she deserves a proper name, but I utterly suck at coming up with names for characters. So I thought I'd ask the forums for help. I'm open to any name suggestions, but if you think she should remain nameless, let me know, since that is also an option I may take (but I probably won't, since it seems improper for a major character to be nameless IMO.)

Some information about the character, if it helps with the naming process:
Species: Fairy
Occupation: Fairy Maid of the SDM, ranks highest among the Fairy maids.
Personality: (You might want to read the comic for this one, since I can't really describe it off the top of my head...)
Intelligence: Smarter than most fairies, Cirno included. Which gives her the intelligence of an average Gensokyo resident.
Ability: I'd say she's more of a "generic" fairy in terms of powers for now. (I may or may not give her one in a future storyline...)
Appearance: Look at the comic's banner in my signature, she's the one on the far left next to Kaguya.

For those who want to see her in the comic, she first appears in strip 51 (7 if you exclude the original 44 strips that make up the aborted storyline)

For those that do decide to help, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:44:31 AM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Re: Character Naming Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:40:36 AM »
As far as I know in Gensokyo、 fairies don't have Japanese names. We have Cirno with a "Simple Name", Daiyousei (big fairy) that doesn't have a name. Also we have Luna Child , Sunny Milk and Star Sapphire with a compound name. Since your story happens on SDM you should consider Koakuma (little devil, it isn't a real name too) in your decision too. Following this logic I would choose a generic name to her like the names of Daiyousei and Koakuma, trying to choose an adjective  that defines her well as a prefix with the word Yousei (fairy).

Example: High Fairy -> Kouyousei 高妖精
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:42:09 AM »
Well I read up to the latest point to see if I can see what kind of personality she has but it could still be too soon until her character develops further, or you can always go the easy way. (My Japanese is terrible but it's all I can do) You can try Yōsei/Yousei which is just fairy, or Meido for maid, or her whole name could be Yousei Meido for fairy maid which is exactly what she is. Hope this helps!

EDIT ahh just too late sorry!
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:57:46 AM »
Give her a fairy-ish name, like Cream Pudding, Cheery Tulip or something.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:15 AM »
Fairy names tend to come from their power so what is her "ability"? If just going by her occupation as a maid, then...Rosa Broom or something

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:01 AM »
Fairy names tend to come from their power so what is her "ability"? If just going by her occupation as a maid, then...Rosa Broom or something

I never really thought about giving her an ability, I'd say she's more of a "generic" fairy in terms of powers for now.

High Fairy -> Kouyousei 高妖精

I like this name so far, I'll probably default to this If I can't find anything more fitting.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:38:21 AM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 04:09:04 AM »
I did a bit more digging into names with a bit of meaning behind them, I'll provide the wiki page for this one in case you want to read about it.
Tennin, Tennyo.

Also not all fairies names come from their power, the the three fairies of light have that motif, but then again we only know of like 4 or 5 fairy names.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
Lily White is a fairy name that doesn't have anything to do with the ability she may or may not have.

Intelligence: Smarter than your average fairy
Yoga Berry.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
How about "Kinpatsu"?
It literally means "golden hair" and in japanese is an actual noun for "blonde". It would still be in theme with the "fairies don't have real names" while making her easier to distinguish from Daiyousei...

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
How about "Kinpatsu"?

Huh, I like this name a lot. I think I'll go with this.
Thanks for the help :)