Author Topic: Danmakufu Jams!  (Read 7099 times)

Danmakufu Jams!
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:14:53 PM »
Danmakufu Jams are quickly approaching. I have decided all of the information regarding them. They will last 72 hours. They will not be judged. They are for the sole purpose of challenging yourself in making patterns. There will be an assigned character at the beginning of the jam. The character will not be revealed until the start of the jam. Sprites and Background images will be provided so you can focus on the patterns. They will take place on either one or two Saturdays a month. If you have any specific questions, reply to this post and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Jam #001: Parsee Mizuhashi
Start Time: Nov. 29 @ 6PM EST
End Time: Dec. 1 @ 6PM EST

Jam #002: Kanako Yasaka
Start Time: Dec. 13 @ 6PM EST
End Time: Dec. 16 @ 6PM EST

Jam #003: Tewi Inaba
Start Time: Jan. 24 @ 6PM EST
End Time: Jan. 27 @ 6PM EST
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:04:35 PM by Fraug »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Danmakufu Jams! (Survey Inside)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:10:52 PM »
A jam lasting 2-6 hours is going to be quite tight for people on time zones. I am not quite sure if we got enough traffic (users) going to actually do jams of 2-6 hours. I was initially expecting a rapid-spellcard development thing which gave people like 48h. That way timezones become less of a burden.

I already filled out the survey, though as you said to me on IRC, didn't quite understand the question then as I filled in my timezone. Think about it, it is quite the barrier for us all, timezones that is.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
Alright. I've never done anything like this so I'll try that 48 hour suggestion to see what adjustments need to be made.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:49:42 AM »
I am sure nobody else did anything like that either, so you'll probably need to rely on the data you collected from your survey.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
Not quite sure what are those Danmakufu Jams (Maybe it's even really obvious but then again, I wouldn't know the ethymology in English :v) but I fileld the survey nonetheless.

Will be interesting to learn something new, I guess.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but what exactly IS a "jam" in this context? Is it basically "you have x time to do y", which in this case would be to make a script within the allotted time?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:13:57 PM by Trickysticks »
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »
It's like a game jam. Like I give 48 hours (the whole weekend as suggested by Helepolis) and I provide sprites and such so you can focus on making a nonspell and spell attack that fit the character.

Drake

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:56:25 AM »
I think what this is sort of missing is the aspect of community togetherness. A code/game jam is sure about making stuff up in a short amount of time, but usually it's done in the presence of everyone else participating so you can all bounce ideas and advice off of each other.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »
That is indeed what I had noted above, unsure how much traffic we actually had in order to realise this. We could logically always try by generating more traffic on IRC first.

Re: Danmakufu Jams! (New Information)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 02:12:31 AM »
Jam #001 Discussion

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 02:14:18 AM »
Dang, I would totally join this but I have a plan for this entire weekend...maybe the next one.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »
Is there a limited script length to this or just how much the scripter manages to make?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »
It is a rapid-development event. There is no limit / length, as it entails one pattern as far as I understood. (Unless Fraug explained it differently)

Motivation behind such events is to purely just share and care. Can be quite interesting if many people do it, as it is about the gameplay of the jam since fraug already provides the graphics.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
Well, It's one pattern minimum and two max. If you have time and want to make more, I won't be angry or anything because everybody works at their own pace. The time limit is to make the participants fell a bit of pressure because I've noticed a lot of people work better under pressure.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »
I've noticed a lot of people work better under pressure.
Heh, they say (in conducted research) people perform better under pressure, but that is only if the pressure has a certain negative effect when the deadline is not reached. I think for a free-to-join situation, that hardly works out :V

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
It's also because I don't want it to drag into the week.

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
  • Highly Responsive to Jinxes
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
I would really like to join  this jam, but unfortunately, this weekend is a little packed for me as it is.
Well, maybe next time.

Although, I have one question:
Do you have to create patterns in Danmakufu specifically, or can you create patterns via other programs as well?
I ask because I have written my own danmaku engine which is mostly finished (except for lasers, as these things just cause problems whenever I touch them) and random menu stuff and a bit of polishing things up.

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
I would prefer Danmakufu, but if you really want to, I guess you can.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »
Jam #002 Discussion

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
Re: Danmakufu Jams!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 03:22:23 AM »
Interesting. Kanako... *Luke is currently working on Kanako*

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »
Oh. I didn't know. These are chosen randomly before the jam starts.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:17:45 AM by Sparen »

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »
Now that the Artifact contest is over, Jams will continue starting this weekend.
Jam #003 discussion below.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:21:05 PM by Fraug »

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »
Uh yeah, I think you should take a moment and try to make these "jam" things more interesting. This really isn't anything special if its just a random boss battle every few days, we do that on a regular basis. Add something worth participating in, restrictions, special requirements ect.... Also, please give people more time, we all have lives and some of us cannot make time to finish within 3 days and scripts come out half ass and unbalanced.

As you can see there is no interest in the jams since it has been 2 days since the start and no sign of life in this thread since then...

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 06:33:25 PM »
I'm happy you suggested this. How long would you suggest? What kind of restrictions?

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »
Atleast a week or two. You could do something special like require the use of only one type of bullet idk there are plenty of things. Look at what Tricky did with the pagoda contest or how us LoCAA members have a current contest going on about unlikely paired bosses going up against unlikely paired players. ie: Remilia and Eirin vs Miko and Koishi.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »
I think people see Tewi as a generic character based on her danmaku, so adding a secondary theme/restriction would be a good idea. If you want to keep the Tewi boss, some themes might be "luck" or "lying" and some restrictions might be "no bullets slower than 4 pixels per frame" or "every attack must feature familiars".